Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Im the sweet LEDs in those titan eye sockets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

SkaAndScreenplays posted:

Good to see McDonald's has branched out from Fast Food in the Grimdark Future.

I feel like I'm being mean saying this but it's kind of mind boggling to buy so much poo poo and then paint them in such a hideous way. Like drat.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

ghetto wormhole posted:

I feel like I'm being mean saying this but it's kind of mind boggling to buy so much poo poo

ftfy

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
OK, Zone Mortalis.

500 points on 2 by 2 boards with 6 inch deployment zones and huge amounts of terrain?

Have people here tried that?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

ghetto wormhole posted:

I feel like I'm being mean saying this but it's kind of mind boggling to buy so much poo poo and then paint them in such a hideous way. Like drat.

That's the Howling Griffons scheme isn't it?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Lungboy posted:

Fairly sure its one of the titan legion schemes as well.

Would look a lot better with decals, details and weathering. But some of the stuff on the table is unpainted, so I imagine it's a work in progress.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Lungboy posted:

I guess it is, but it's still IMO a pretty lovely scheme even when done well, and his red looks significantly brighter than it's supposed to be.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
To play devil's advocate none of those are finished. He had a finished knight which wasn't in any of the pictures (died t1) and it looked very nice with much more nuanced colours and detailing.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
the LEDs are rad though

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Thundercloud posted:

OK, Zone Mortalis.

500 points on 2 by 2 boards with 6 inch deployment zones and huge amounts of terrain?

Have people here tried that?

Pretty much. We usually make a rat-maze style setup with either D&D vinyl map outlines or building blocks/lincoln logs or whatever. Personally, I think 500 points is too small unless you're playing team games (on 2'x4') or both players are really going out of their way to go MSU. 600-800 can still work on a tiny table and doesn't slow things down in a bad way but it lets you have slightly more fun stuff to play with. 1000 is awesome but really needs 3x3 or 2x4 or even 3x4 to work optimally.

500 points is small enough that you can just use the Space Hulk tiles though. You might even have fun letting every model operate independently, like in Kill Team/Tactical Strike. I should try that, actually.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Sulecrist posted:

Pretty much. We usually make a rat-maze style setup with either D&D vinyl map outlines or building blocks/lincoln logs or whatever. Personally, I think 500 points is too small unless you're playing team games (on 2'x4') or both players are really going out of their way to go MSU. 600-800 can still work on a tiny table and doesn't slow things down in a bad way but it lets you have slightly more fun stuff to play with. 1000 is awesome but really needs 3x3 or 2x4 or even 3x4 to work optimally.

500 points is small enough that you can just use the Space Hulk tiles though. You might even have fun letting every model operate independently, like in Kill Team/Tactical Strike. I should try that, actually.

Was thinking of people pairing up. That way the 500 points of stuff total is not too intimidating to buy and paint.

I was thinking of kitbashing various plastic terminators to get two squads of Legion Terminators and then doing the Pride of the Legion rite. I think a lot of people do that in order to have their first 1000 point force.

While plastic Horus Heresy is rumoured it won't be on the scene until at least August/September as once marines and DA are out the way we are getting maybe two months of fantasy releases.

When this happens there'll be boxed sets people can buy and immediately have the core of an army.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

moola how much trouble are you gonna be in when X Wang releases a four foot death star?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

SkaAndScreenplays posted:

I don't see why they dropped Deep Strike from the models themselves, that was still balanced and made up for low model count with speed.
Uh, are you trying to say that terminators don't have deep strike? They definitely do, especially Deathwing who have additional rules related to it. It may just be specified in the rules for the armor itself instead of the unit entry.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica
Ah, I didn't see it listed in the codex entry.

That's a relief.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Any good alternatives for ZM boards?

Safety Factor posted:

Uh, are you trying to say that terminators don't have deep strike? They definitely do, especially Deathwing who have additional rules related to it. It may just be specified in the rules for the armor itself instead of the unit entry.

TDA gives Deep Strike, so characters with it can deep strike too

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Lots of terrain? I was thinking of using my Deadzone stuff.

Space Hulk boards get specifically mentioned in the ZM rules in Betrayal.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Not really, no. However it's not too difficult to make some, even cheap ones you can make quickly; the boards are 1' by 1', with 1" squares as floor tiles. Get some MDF board and cut them into squares (places like Home Depot will do it for you), draw lines on it, then section off places as walls by either drawing on the board, or using foamboard (or plastic terrain sprues like Deadzone or GW).

I kinda wish Secret Weapon had tiles suitable enough for it. That was a missed opportunity.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
I didn't realize how much the Imperial Knight looks like a Mirelurk.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
I am just getting back to 40k, do all models need to be on 32mm bases now?

I bought some chaos marines and they still come with 25mm

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Black_Nexus posted:

They do come with 25mm bases - but a pretty good guess is that they are going to officially come with 32mm in the future. Personally I like the look of the 32mm bases much better for marines in general. I keep my Chaos Cultists on 25mm bases.

I am still debating what to do with my demon allies (bloodletter, pink horrors, plaguebearers, etc) but leaning towards 25mm

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Black_Nexus posted:

Nah, they're slowly moving bigger infantry models over to 32mm, but you can keep those CSM on 25s if you want. Weedier stuff like Eldar and IG will probably stay 25mm.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy
For those running Chaos Demons - when you run a Herald of Tzeentch are you using the official (Finecast) model? Is he removable from the disc? (I assume so). Or did you kit bash something together? If so - what/how?

Can you show any example pictures of what you have done?

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

There are some examples in this Facebook Photo Album that I took at Adepticon last year of ways you can quickly make ZM terrain.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.784745611537441.1073741918.221159101229431&type=3

I would normally post it all directly here with imgur or something but don't have time right now.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Lord Twisted posted:

To play devil's advocate none of those are finished. He had a finished knight which wasn't in any of the pictures (died t1) and it looked very nice with much more nuanced colours and detailing.

If you can, ask him for better photos next time you see him

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

I didn't realize how much the Imperial Knight looks like a Mirelurk.

Don't see it, other than the vague outline of the top.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Ghost Hand posted:

For those running Chaos Demons - when you run a Herald of Tzeentch are you using the official (Finecast) model? Is he removable from the disc? (I assume so). Or did you kit bash something together? If so - what/how?

I figured now that the flamer chariot thing is decent, people are just using the herald that comes with that kit.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

Ghost Hand posted:

I bashed mine.

This is the most recent one. It is made with bits from the flaming chariot. I still have the larger portion of the disc for another model.

This is the first one I made. It is with a zodiac talisman Screamer bits and a lasercut-pinewood 60mm base + a little greenstuff with a horror on top.

Both models use the large 60-(ish)mm flight base. [edit] But I don't use the acrylic stand, one is the flames itself and another is a rod painted black underneath.

Here they are, flying together in a gaggle of screamers.

The burningchariot is like the same price as the one herald model. Almost no reason to get it unless you like the pose/bits a LOT.

WhiteOutMouse fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 31, 2015

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

WhiteOutMouse posted:

I bashed mine.

This is the most recent one. It is made with bits from the flaming chariot. I still have the larger portion of the disc for another model.

This is the first one I made. It is with a zodiac talisman Screamer bits and a lasercut-pinewood 60mm base + a little greenstuff with a horror on top.

Both models use the large 60-(ish)mm flight base. [edit] But I don't use the acrylic stand, one is the flames itself and another is a rod painted black underneath.

Here they are, flying together in a gaggle of screamers.

The burningchariot is like the same price as the one herald model. Almost no reason to get it unless you like the pose/bits a LOT.

Thank you very much!

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

Ghost Hand posted:

There are some examples in this Facebook Photo Album that I took at Adepticon last year of ways you can quickly make ZM terrain.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.784745611537441.1073741918.221159101229431&type=3

I would normally post it all directly here with imgur or something but don't have time right now.
This makes me want to make "canyonlands" for my jungle terrain set. Get a bunch of long, flat, narrow rectangle bases, glue 5" tall walls of pink insulation foam, and weather them to look like stone. Paint it up with moss and plants growing all over and have a maze of stone fissures filled with acid bogs, dense foliage, spiker plants, and carnivorous animal dens.

Would be super easy to make, but I don't think I have any more storage space for terrain.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Midlands Age of Darkness group sign up thread is now here on facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/519645781404615/

If you are midlands based and want to get games in, sign up. I'm open to ideas, and whether it becomes a venue for people just finding other people to play 40k or we do a campaign is up to the people involved.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Is Kill-Team back? Like, official rules back?

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
There are official kill team rules, but they are typical low effort GW stuff. There are unofficial kill-team + campaign rules out on the internet (http://heralds-of-ruin.blogspot.dk/p/kill-team-rules.html) that are probably too much effort, but at least you can tell that they care.

My 2v2 group is going to try to do some heralds of ruin kill team since we can play after work and finish in an hour or so instead of the 3 hour long games we do now. I'm looking forward to it, but the campaign stuff seems like way too much trouble to be worth it.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

drgnvale posted:

There are official kill team rules, but they are typical low effort GW stuff. There are unofficial kill-team + campaign rules out on the internet (http://heralds-of-ruin.blogspot.dk/p/kill-team-rules.html) that are probably too much effort, but at least you can tell that they care.

My 2v2 group is going to try to do some heralds of ruin kill team since we can play after work and finish in an hour or so instead of the 3 hour long games we do now. I'm looking forward to it, but the campaign stuff seems like way too much trouble to be worth it.

Sweet, gonna make me a Tyranid kill team. Keep at least a few models.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
Tactical Strike is a good happy medium between GW's and Heralds of Ruin's KT rules. I like the simplicity of GW's too, though.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

It did occur to me that if GW aren't idiots then these new marine boxes will come with a revised combat patrol in White Dwarf/on the website, so that someone can pick one up, their mate can, and away they go playing games. Just like Warmahordes.

But there's a basic flaw in my logic there.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

I bought a box of bits from a friend of mine. The thing is filled with all kinds of cool old poo poo like this:

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
That's a whole lotta Scrunts you got there.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Wow, a cool Dark Angel model:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
They need to stop this copy pasting cad poo poo. All the models are just slight tweaks of older bits that are then all mashed together. Thats the Dark Angels Captain from Dark Vengeance lower body, a Deathwing Knights robed head with the face replaced with the LE chaplain face plate for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Yeah, but independent of that he's still a pretty baller looking model.

I just got in my Horus Heresy stuff today. Once I finish this old school tac squad I'll get to cleaning them up, but I'm excited to get started on these Ultramarines that are wholly different than my other Ultramarines. Also they only came with 25mm bases and not 32s, so I'll have to get those.

• Locked thread