Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Parallax posted:

I dunno what's up with Druid becoming a statue, though

That was definitely weird, kind reminded me of something out of a Greek myth where a god notices someones suffering and 'takes pity on them' by turning them to stone. Which always seemed like a rather drastic measure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

This anime has some really great individual lines, one that always stood out to me was the Prince saying "My nation's history is crushing me" or something to the effect.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

That was definitely weird, kind reminded me of something out of a Greek myth where a god notices someones suffering and 'takes pity on them' by turning them to stone. Which always seemed like a rather drastic measure.

It was just half a year more, God, jeez

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

GorfZaplen posted:

http://i.imgur.com/J6SxipX.gifv Linked because big, but this is one of my favorite scenes in the whole movie.

I'm assuming this and the hover bike in the woods were inspired by the relevant star wars scenes

Srice posted:

Yah, it's a weird movie in so many aspects and I knew the reception was going to be pretty mixed. I do think it's an interesting watch regardless and it's something that a lot of people haven't even heard of let alone seen, so that's why I chose it.

Overall I enjoy it but I do agree that the beginning needlessly slow, and it's time they could spent on developing the cast some more.

That shot of the ruined city though, that's definitely what I remembered the most about this movie and it's still a fantastic shot on my second time around.

It was still a worthwhile and interesting watch once again, Srice. I just looked it up and the film was released only a few days before I was born, so its kind of cool to watch things the same age as me

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Windaria

The big problem with Windaria is its inability to establish a core theme. In parts is a tragic romance, in others it’s an anti-war film, and then in other moments it’s an 80s Saturday morning cartoon. Since there’s exposed breasts in the first five-ish minutes, clearly a more mature audience is the target here, but this doesn’t really mesh with most of the movie. You have shots like this:

Where she’s toying with her lover’s importance, the focus of the shot emphasizing her influence on him over the influence of the gun. It’s a cool moment and their dynamic throughout is pretty great. But then you have shots like this:

Which is just so cartoonishly evil that it’s hard to really get emotionally involved in the melodrama. For something like a Romeo and Juliet situation to work well, there needs to be some level of sympathetic angles on both sides to make the tragedy more impactful and real. Here it’s like a He-Man henchman cackling on his throne while he torches peasants needlessly. There’s a huge disconnect in that part of the story and it’s a major failure of the movie, since it makes it hard to care about the later war scenes when they do occur.

Which is a shame because they are definitely the best part of the movie! There’s some truly striking moments in the violence of the film, which clash with the light hearted tone established early on. Shots like this:

And this:

(Thank you Gorf, I was going to make this gif but you already did)

Are genuinely affecting and brutal. The violence in most spots happens suddenly and without fanfare, which makes the deaths of the soldiers on the battlefield meaningful and somewhat touching. I quite liked the moment where we cut from this:

To this:

I think it’s the most telling moment in the movie; the juxtaposition of the brutality of the front line and the tranquility of the room where those responsible for the violence are held in safe seclusion is powerful. In that same scene, we also have this fantastic moment. Here’s a shot from early in the film when Jill and Ahnas are in the throes of easy love (after that quite ridiculous slo-mo romp through the forest with a great song):

And here’s is the same location ravaged by war:

The framing here implies that even after witnessing the destruction caused by their warring nations, they only care about their romantic relationship. After hundreds of men being sent to their death because of their lover’s quarrel, the only thing that changes to them is that there is now a distance between them. It’s touching and sad, and the closest the movie gets to teasing out an interesting theme. This whole sequence in the Forest of Doubt is definitely the high point, shame that the rest of the movie doesn’t do much to support or expand on these ideas.

I do think that Izu is an interesting character. Unsympathetic for sure, and I think that his presentation at the end is meant to invoke sympathy for his situation, but it falls flat. For the first hour or so though he really is interestingly developed. He latches onto outside praise with a near religious fervor. He spends four days telling people about how he turned a crank! His self-worth is totally dependent on how other people feel about him. Which is true for many people and was used to explain his turn to the evil villains, but it’s odd that he acts that way and is married to a woman who does nothing but fully support him in all aspects. He blows Marin off completely in his decision making in lieu of a rad car and it just doesn’t jive at all. And then he lives as gutter trash for a week or so before murdering hundreds of innocent people and becoming a prince:

There was something there at the start but his character fell really flat. The strongest characters are Jill and Ahnas, but even they can’t overcome the weird exaggerated and simple representation of good versus evil and their lover’s suicide is only mildly shocking due to how quickly it’s glossed over and how much the movie tries to push Izu as the real victim.

The movie showed promised and it has many flaws, but I’m glad I saw it. The battle in the forest alone makes up for the rest of the film really. I don’t know why Druid was in the film at all, completely pointless endnote to an already strangely unnecessary endnote sequence.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Here's some parts I thought were funny

http://i.imgur.com/qS7DCJf.webm

http://i.imgur.com/mI5JsyW.webm

Now im going to go play splatoon. Cheers

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

well that was tough to watch, especially the segment where poo poo was escalating and they felt the need to throw a dead pigeon on top of it :(

i think it was a really good simul choice because it was such a mixed bag. a lot of great animation or impactful editing, and the forest/hoverbike montages were great. the characters all had some core of an idea to them...it's just that those weren't carried strongly throughout the movie. i really agree with Yikes' critique in regards to Paro, especially since it's never explained why they provoked the war in the first place. it's like they play a cartoon villain for the first fifteen minutes and then suddenly backpedal to try and make the conflict seem gray, which doesn't ever quite work. i think Izu was handled well, considering there's not a shred of him that's likable. i didn't expect the ghost twist, so seeing him fail to reclaim his happiness or be redeemed was nice. i don't think becoming Ghost Captain is really suitable karmic punishment compared to just dying in Paro, but whatever.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Becoming Ghost Captain wouldn't even be punishment, I think he only wants to do it because of the devotion Druid exhibits. If he really wanted to join Marin he could easily throw himself off the cliff at the end. He wants people to worship him and devote their lives to waiting for him to show up. I wonder if his tears at the end are for Marin or for himself, realizing his weakness and being unable to break away from it.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

Becoming Ghost Captain wouldn't even be punishment, I think he only wants to do it because of the devotion Druid exhibits. If he really wanted to join Marin he could easily throw himself off the cliff at the end. He wants people to worship him and devote their lives to waiting for him to show up. I wonder if his tears at the end are for Marin or for himself, realizing his weakness and being unable to break away from it.

it lasting 10 years made it seem like he was taking it as self-imposed exile, in addition to his desire to be "with" Marin or his narcissism
speaking of which, gotta give Windaria props for the afterlife being just a big spaceship that circles the globe

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

dogsicle posted:

it lasting 10 years made it seem like he was taking it as self-imposed exile, in addition to his desire to be "with" Marin or his narcissism
speaking of which, gotta give Windaria props for the afterlife being just a big spaceship that circles the globe

The airship was cool, and I liked the fact that souls are physically present in the form of firebirds wandering the globe. The movie opens with a scene establishing that situation and it makes the ending where he sees a huge crowd of them pretty rough, knowing how many lives have been destroyed by his callousness

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
If they didn't try to assassinate him I doubt he would've ever went back for her. He's the worst.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Marin was too good for him.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

This is a cool writeup and it makes me feel like this was a worthwhile choice for the simul!

GorfZaplen posted:

Marin was too good for him.

Yeah seriously.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Hopefully some of the other birds on the ship tell her what's up.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Srice posted:

This is a cool writeup and it makes me feel like this was a worthwhile choice for the simul!

Yeah seriously.

It's easier to write a short piece like that when your audience is guaranteed to hav already seen the movie. The length of that would have easily doubled or more if I wanted to include all those images and had to explain the context of all them, so it was fun to do. Movies are cool

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

It's easier to write a short piece like that when your audience is guaranteed to hav already seen the movie. The length of that would have easily doubled or more if I wanted to include all those images and had to explain the context of all them, so it was fun to do. Movies are cool

They're cool as hell.

The simul might not be getting as many posts as past simuls have but I think the discussions have made up for that. At the end of the day I want to get people to check out movies they haven't seen or even heard of before, so I'm glad of it all.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

I told myself I wasn't going to do this but then it happened anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPWRSAn3sEM

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I lost it at the extended edit of the guy drinking from his flask, haha.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

dotJPG posted:

:perfect:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

RIP The Pigeon.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

dotJPG posted:

hahaha

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

dotJPG posted:

Yeah, that lightened up my mood after that movie.

Also Izu's a fucker.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lol there was a DS game based on Windaria made by loving Compile Heart, of all people

Looks like a Mystery Dungeon type thing

http://youtu.be/98i_Xi1nGNU

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jun 1, 2015

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Glad to have made it back to my own computer in time. On more day :toot:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I was kind of planning to not watch Mind Game because I've seen it recently but I'm now on holiday for two weeks so why the gently caress not.

Oh yeah, we going to be taking suggestions for more films to watch? :)

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
OHHH poo poo Mind Game tomorrow that's right please don't let me forget. I've actually been meaning to see it for a bit and judging by my avatar it's something I should hop onto.

Veskit fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jun 5, 2015

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mind game has one of the best sex scenes in anime

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

I was kind of planning to not watch Mind Game because I've seen it recently but I'm now on holiday for two weeks so why the gently caress not.

Oh yeah, we going to be taking suggestions for more films to watch? :)

I'm definitely open to suggestions (long as they're easy for folks to legally acquire), though I have at least one more movie in mind, which I'll post about when I have the free time to later.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Veskit posted:

OHHH poo poo Mind Game tomorrow that's right please don't let me forget. I've actually been meaning to see it for a bit and judging by my avatar it's something I should hop onto.

Don't worry I'll remind you.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Srice posted:

I'm definitely open to suggestions (long as they're easy for folks to legally acquire), though I have at least one more movie in mind, which I'll post about when I have the free time to later.

Eh, two out of the three I was going to mention would be a pain, especially since I can't tell easily what's available or not to stream in the US. I was going to suggest one of Lensman, Space Adventure Cobra or Night on the Galactic Railroad, of which Lensman seems completely out of print so a torrent would probably be okay, but the other two have either have had or are going to have fairly recent dvd releases.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I just want everyone to have watched the Cobra movie Manga UK dub with the Yello soundtrack because it's amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvcUHphENxk

e: Though apparently it's cut by three minutes for no reason. :(

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 5, 2015

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I would suggest Love & Pop because I'm fairly certain it's not legally available in the U.S. and it's a good movie but it's live action

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

disgusting. live action *spits on the ground*

i would suggest something like memories, has that been done yet? would work well in a simulwatch

or saint young men, aura, a letter to momo, some random lupin movie that not everyone has seen yet and so on

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

How about the seijun suzuki Lupin movie

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I love mindgame because it is just so manic with its message. It doesn't spell it out for you (well, okay it does), but it grabs it and clobbers you in the face with it while yelling how awesome life is at full volume. I mean that in the best way. It owns hard.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I too will watch Mindgame because I am curious about anime bookclub and wow this looks weird and interesting as gently caress.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Don't worry I'll remind you.

Thank you friend.

I always throw in the vote to watch Royal Space Force: Wings of the Hommenaise. That movie is all awesome except for one scene which makes no sense to me to this day but still GOOD rear end MOVIE. Best world building film I've seen possibly ever.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mind game is a really good movie. Looking forward to it

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It's less than an hour until the mother freakin' Mind Game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm going to start drinking soon, to prepare.

• Locked thread