Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

grrarg posted:

Dev posted something interesting in a thread about the problems carriers have facing a 2v1 or the plane disparity against higher tier carriers.

I wonder if they can implement a way for carriers to change their loadout when they see the team lists. Or maybe once the battle starts. It's pretty dumb (when it's your team) when it puts a single carrier on one side and it happens to be a US carrier full of fighters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
Now I'm seriously wishing for a version of World of Warships, but with the ship editor from Naval Ops: Warship Gunner 2. That would own so many bones.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Is there some reason the game doesn't offer engine upgrades? A 10 knot stock New York would be totally awesome.

E: and 10" stock guns which only ding even with HE shells.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Ihmemies posted:

Is there some reason the game doesn't offer engine upgrades?

The Kongo is the only one I know of. Maybe there's another ship, but it's not one I've played.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

El Disco posted:

The Kongo is the only one I know of. Maybe there's another ship, but it's not one I've played.

The Amagi has an engine upgrade, gives +2 knots and +7 maneuverability with an 18,000hp increase.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Even without the retraining bug, Pyromaniacally spamming HE is crazy.

The enemy Essex got Fireproof by ducking behind an iceberg with three or four fires burning. I did not chase because I thought it would burn to death before repair came back up and an angry Des Moines was chasing me. The Essex survived with 5k hp and spent the rest of the match fleeing to the far southeast corner where no one could catch it before we had to cap.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I Greyhound posted:

Now I'm seriously wishing for a version of World of Warships, but with the ship editor from Naval Ops: Warship Gunner 2. That would own so many bones.

CIWS aligned like a dick and the rest of the boat covered with cruise missles? Yeah :getin:

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Did they change the repair ability?

I have been playing destroyers since that last patch and I saw some mentions of the New Mexico and another battleship's repair abilities in the notes, but on my Yamato it doesn't seem to be repairing much if anything at all anymore. It also doesn't seem to show the health you will have after it finishes on the bar.

Not really a huge deal, but it was a really big surprise to only repair like 7,000 in my first game in my Yamato after the patch, and I got overwhelmed and slaughtered.

Burno fucked around with this message at 11:01 on May 30, 2015

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Spending every battle on fire all the time.... :what:

I'd rather have the AP supremacy of 0.3.0 than this bullshit.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

PirateBob posted:

Spending every battle on fire all the time.... :what:

I'd rather have the AP supremacy of 0.3.0 than this bullshit.

Yea, I agree completely.

I haven't played since last weekend, so I got on and played a couple games last night. My first game was in my New Mexico, and I fired a single ranging shot with a forward turret - not using the HE bug, I don't have enough skill points on this guy to have Pyro yet. I got 2 hits out of my 3 rounds, and lit 2 fires, because I had forgotten to switch to AP.

I used HE at range, but it was a really weird game. Each side had 1 dd, the enemy had 1 cruiser and a CV, and we had 2 cruisers and no CV. Every other ship on both sides was a battleship. By mid-game all the torpedo carriers on both sides were dead (except for the CV), and I was the top tier BB left alive, so I charged into the middle area against 4 lower tier BB's. The rest of my team was loving off playing range / hide-n-seek games with the islands. At 5k-7k range, I was being kept on fire and steadily ground down, but every other salvo I fired into the sides of the T3 & T4 battleships was a sunk battleship. I apparently didn't screenshot the results, but my average damage with AP was still vastly higher than my average with HE, even including the fires. So even with the fire bug, when battleships are in a position to shoot at other battleships where penetrations are very likely, AP is still king.

On the other hand, my first game out in the Colorado after that had 4 16" AP shells hitting a cruiser at near max range for a whopping 1260 damage. :suicide:

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
I was running parallel to a New York with about 500 yards of separation between us. He yelled at me for five minutes about how close we were and then went into a tirade about WW2 naval tactics. After I sank three enemy ships I dropped a full spread just in the right place where he skillfully drove right into all six. *glug*

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Well AP is still really good, but I agree the fires do tend get out of control if you never get a good angle for citadel hits

I had this happen earlier
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKdsxkIUVJs

edit:
One thing which I am really noticing is that there is no real way to tell when you can use AP vs HE. There is no armor view or layouts and no ballistic profiles of the rounds.

Basically it seems the best way to play a BB is to sling HE until you are within something like 12km then swap back to AP when you have a broadside shot.

Burno fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 30, 2015

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFe7yC70QU4

:black101:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Did they massively boost the concealment of smoke? I was just getting shot by a Benson from less than 2k away, and he was loving invisible. He appeared at slightly over 1k, but of course two salvo's of AP into his waterline only did about 1/2 damage and then I died in a ball of fire.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Was he moving at all? Concealment upgrade plus concealment commander skill plus smoke can come pretty close to that range if he backs behind the cloud.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Why would anyone switch torps to aa guns in Omaha? Doesn't seem to be too intelligent since AA doesn't feel that useful nowdays.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Was he moving at all? Concealment upgrade plus concealment commander skill plus smoke can come pretty close to that range if he backs behind the cloud.

Yea, he was moving full speed, and shooting at me. I really don't get the ability to shoot out of smoke without revealing yourself. If you can see me out of the smoke, I should certainly be able to see you in the smoke if you are firing all your guns.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Ihmemies posted:

Why would anyone switch torps to aa guns in Omaha? Doesn't seem to be too intelligent since AA doesn't feel that useful nowdays.

The firing arc of the remaining launchers does improve quite a bit.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

The Locator posted:

Yea, he was moving full speed, and shooting at me. I really don't get the ability to shoot out of smoke without revealing yourself. If you can see me out of the smoke, I should certainly be able to see you in the smoke if you are firing all your guns.

I find that most of the time (though not all) firing does reveal the DD, though only for a second at most. At least they fixed the warp bug after spotting so now you can line up your shots between them firing. That said, whenever I'm in a DD I seem to always be visible. I'm not sure burning 3 points on situational awareness is worth it just to figure out the hosed up mechanics of smoke.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Aslain's modpack is updated.. yay.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Scikar posted:

I find that most of the time (though not all) firing does reveal the DD, though only for a second at most. At least they fixed the warp bug after spotting so now you can line up your shots between them firing. That said, whenever I'm in a DD I seem to always be visible. I'm not sure burning 3 points on situational awareness is worth it just to figure out the hosed up mechanics of smoke.

Get it anyways. I love it for destroyers and bad boats like Yubari because it helps avoid tunnel visioning and allows me to engage on my own terms.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

So open to all means open to anyone buying a premium ship or is there a different way to get in without an email notebook.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Mittani was giving away keys during a stream.

Dawning Horror
Jun 18, 2009

Scikar posted:

That said, whenever I'm in a DD I seem to always be visible. I'm not sure burning 3 points on situational awareness is worth it just to figure out the hosed up mechanics of smoke.

It's an essential skill for a DD captain to have. Get it and prepare to be really pissed off at planes spotting you all the time.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

So Jingles just did a video on the Albany US premium cruiser and holy poo poo, I had no idea that this piece of poo poo has a 20 knot top speed and max firing range of 6.3km. Is this thing meant to be a trap premium or what? I wouldn't bother playing this thing if it were free. please don't let this be a free gift to all beta testers :ohdear:

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

The St Louis is the poor mans Atlanta. That's a 1.5x game BTW.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Is it just me or is the xp reward small on loss? I've been doing 100+ hits and several fire with Cleveland but even with premium I never get 900 xp. Compared to Omaha that I was doing easy 2,000 xp with, I just don't get it.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
Today I hosed up, and what's worse is it got recorded.

http://www.twitch.tv/dathly/c/6771835?t=03s

I'm in the New Mexico. :downs: I had no idea that Izumo was even there.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Aesis posted:

Is it just me or is the xp reward small on loss? I've been doing 100+ hits and several fire with Cleveland but even with premium I never get 900 xp. Compared to Omaha that I was doing easy 2,000 xp with, I just don't get it.

The exp reward is halved if your team loses.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

orange juche posted:

The exp reward is halved if your team loses.
:stare: Did not know this.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Sometimes theres just nothing you can do to carry your lovely team.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Aesis posted:

:stare: Did not know this.

Haven't checked to see if it's the same as Tanks, but I don't see why it wouldn't be:

You lose, you get base xp, +50% if you have premium

You win, you get the base xp +50%, +50% if you have premium, then after that daily 1.5s/doubles/triples/etc for first battle are added

If you survive win or lose, you also get +25% to the base xp

If you get a battle hero achievement in a loss, ie you carried so hard but your pubbie scum team mates still tossed it in, the game nods in your direction by treating your xp like you won

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 23:33 on May 31, 2015

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Well I bought beta access because I was bored, but Sims is just terrible. I just stopped using it after 5 games because it has poo poo torp range and reload is way too long. I'm now using Cleveland and I'm enjoying it lot more than Sims tbh.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Aesis posted:

Well I bought beta access because I was bored, but Sims is just terrible. I just stopped using it after 5 games because it has poo poo torp range and reload is way too long. I'm now using Cleveland and I'm enjoying it lot more than Sims tbh.

The Sims torpedoes are there for making people run, blowing up people that get way too close in a knife fight, etc. The primary weapons on the Sims are speed, maneuverability, the ability to lay down smoke, and 5" guns that pop out shells accurately at a ridiculous rate of fire. It flat out murders Japanese DD's (if you don't let them torpedo you), and deals a pretty fantastic amount of damage to almost anything if you don't get blown up (which is where your small size and maneuverability come in).

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Bah lost a definite win game. It was 5v2, I had to fend off Izumo and New Orleans on my own in Cleveland while rest of the team ran away (didn't even cap despite being 5 cap Domination). Only when I took Izumo to low hp they started slow boating back 40 km for kill, but good luck with that with 2 Battleships. By the time they were within 20 km I took down Izumo on my own but died to New Orleans. New Orleans capped the zone I was defending, and by then the point advantage was 100+ so he easily won 4v1.

The Locator posted:

The Sims torpedoes are there for making people run, blowing up people that get way too close in a knife fight, etc. The primary weapons on the Sims are speed, maneuverability, the ability to lay down smoke, and 5" guns that pop out shells accurately at a ridiculous rate of fire. It flat out murders Japanese DD's (if you don't let them torpedo you), and deals a pretty fantastic amount of damage to almost anything if you don't get blown up (which is where your small size and maneuverability come in).
Well I was doing alright against Japanese DD (easily killed it as long as I dodged torpedoes), but I gave up trying to get closer to that 5 km range because it's just easier for enemy to kill me due to shorter flight time. Kinda boring since there's nothing much I can do aside from hoping that enemy is too engaged with my team to notice me.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
What torps does the Sims get anyway? It is annoying that it is not possible to view the stats of the pre-order premium ships in game. Does it get the same guns as the other US destroyers? Other than being a cheaper premium than the Atlanta, I do not see the appeal when it is so similar to the Farragut/Mahan/Benson/Fletcher.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

It has crappy 4.5km torps that do an average of 10k damage. Technically its a tier lower in torps as the normal T7 can get the 5.5km torps

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Stevefin posted:

It has crappy 4.5km torps that do an average of 10k damage. Technically its a tier lower in torps as the normal T7 can get the 5.5km torps
5.5km range on the Sims actually. Mahan (T7 US DD) gets 6.4km torps as its upgrade, while the default ones do ~30% more damage but only have 4.5km range.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
I just got myself a Pensacola and holy poo poo it sucks. Turret rotation is killing me :negative: Does it get any better with upgrades and modules?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Finally got my own person screaming at me about hacking/exploits and stuff. Would have responded but was too busy sinking his teammates.

Specifically, was in a Pensacola on Iceberg capping A along with two friendly destroyers. We were opposed by two enemy destroyers and a Kitakami in the actual point. I'd done a sharp turn to make sure I stayed out of LoS of the battleship line and accidentally rammed an iceberg - luckily I was covered by smoke. Anyways, while slowly backing off it, a Fubuki popped up at 2 km right around where I was oriented so I caught him with basically a full volley of HE that sunk him - queue him blowing up in chat. And then he kept whining for minutes, claiming that clearly me proceeding to sink the stationary Kitakami that had rammed an iceberg itself and apparently gotten stuck(or at least hadn't bothered backing off it for a minute+ for whatever reason) was even more evidence. And shortly thereafter the other destroyer nearby also caught a full volley at ~2km or so and died. Match ended while I was closing on the other team's carrier, but had it gone on another 30 seconds to a minute I probably would have added a fourth kill to my tally.

It was a fun match.