Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

qntm posted:

So, how many people in the world are there who have genuinely seen all of Doctor Who? Including all of the now-missing episodes? I'm going to say the figure's quite small.

Only one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Jerusalem posted:

The Mind's Eye is a perfectly acceptable, standard story that has been done before and since and not just in Doctor Who. It plays things a little safe, especially considering the boundless possibilities of the dreamworld scenario it plays with, but while this means it never really rises above itself, it also never pratfalls or does something spectacularly stupid. I prefer audios that at least try, and this isn't one of those, but I can't say I particularly have anything against it either. Easily forgettable, but solidly put together and not at all a waste of time to listen to.
Funny you reviewed this one, I just finished Brotherhood of the Daleks, which definitely acts as sequel to this story and does a lot more with the concept (don't click if you don't know which one I mean, it's a nice reveal even though I really had completely forgotten about this audio until then). So it makes enough of an expository prologue that people shouldn't skip it.

They keep doing the three + one thing, but after Mission, there's more of an effort to tie the short one into the main story, with mixed results. The best one I've heard yet is Keepsake, which grabbed me much more than the main story, Kingdom of Silver, and was the final straw to make me care about the drat Totally-Not-Blade-Runner Orion War stuff. drat you, Briggs, you finally got me invested :argh:

quote:

Ghostbusters stuff
Aside from the perfect storm "made better by setbacks to the original plan" quality, Ghostbusters introduced the "genre workplace comedy" concept we see in shows like Archer, and deserves special recognition for that.

qntm posted:

So, how many people in the world are there who have genuinely seen all of Doctor Who? Including all of the now-missing episodes? I'm going to say the figure's quite small.
If you count reconstructions, there are people in this thread who have. And you should, we're very lucky to have them thanks to goons of the 60s and their newfangled gadget, the "tape recorder".

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

For the sake of your own sanity, please don't try to watch every episode of Doctor Who. It's hard enough sitting through some of the lovely episodes on their own.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

qntm posted:

My mum. Probably also my dad, too.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

cargohills posted:

For the sake of your own sanity, please don't try to watch every episode of Doctor Who. It's hard enough sitting through some of the lovely episodes on their own.

I'll get on it once I've done all the audios.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

qntm posted:

Mugabe, Philip Morris in the secret vault where he has them but won't show them just to spite Ian Levine, the people living here who are from Omnicron Persei 8... there are quite a few, really.

edit: and I watched all the episodes, although I came back to watch any serials with repros in them at the end. I'm going to very slowly go through them on DVD, which has been fun. I like the audio commentaries, because you can learn things like that they asked them to cast hairy extras for the cave men so that they could save money on hair make up.

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 23:05 on May 31, 2015

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, if you count reconstructions then I've "seen" all of them, and I regret nothing (well maybe The Space Pirates) because more Who is always worthwhile.

Thank you, 1960s tape-recorder goons :shobon:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Like, I'm staring at a picture of one of the Dalek operators right now, who looks like the insurance salesman from from Groundhog Day, and laughing, and I don't care how much of the show is stupid, I do not regret watching and watching it.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Bicyclops posted:

Like, I'm staring at a picture of one of the Dalek operators right now, who looks like the insurance salesman from from Groundhog Day, and laughing, and I don't care how much of the show is stupid, I do not regret watching and watching it.

"PHIL? PHIL CON-NORS? IS THAT YOU?"

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Hot Fuzz is mediocre, Spaced is better than any of the Cornetto films. By a long, long, way.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

That's the most wrong anyone has ever been about anything.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I like Timothy Dalton in it though

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

That is a very correct opinion.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Now that I think about it, I love Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead (I haven't seen the other one) but...yeah, Spaced is probably better.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I've only seen Shaun of the Dead, and even that only recently, but it was one of the most solid comedy movies I've seen.

I never really managed to watch Ghostbusters. As a kid I grew up with far more 'obvious' comedies (I don't think Ghostbusters is exactly subtle, but I was coming from a history of stand-up, Whose Line is it Anyway and Airplane), so I just didn't get that what I was watching was meant to be funny. I've never had the chance to go back to it either.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I like Timothy Dalton in it though

The Living Daylights is my favorite Bond movie.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Spaced is goddamn amazing and I hope everybody here has watched it, because otherwise what the hell was even the point of being alive in the first place? :mad:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Spaced is really cool and good, agreed.

I'm another who hasn't seen Worlds End, since you never hear people talk about it I'm assuming it isn't as good as the other two Cornetto movies.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

marktheando posted:

Spaced is really cool and good, agreed.

I'm another who hasn't seen Worlds End, since you never hear people talk about it I'm assuming it isn't as good as the other two Cornetto movies.

It's excellent, just as good as the other two in my opinion. Plus the fight scenes are legitimately really amazingly put together (I had such high hopes for Antman :sigh:).

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

marktheando posted:

World's End is what happens if you replace the Doctor with a couple of belligerent drunks. It also felt the most overtly "political" of the three films, though that's not say the other two didn't have plenty of social commentary, just that it wasn't as buried under the genre trappings.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
The World’s End is probably the best “movie” out of the three in terms of production and directing.

Shaun of the Dead is probably the most “memorable” of the three because zombies were so huge in pop culture at the time and it was incredibly unique.

Hot Fuzz is easily the best and funniest of them three.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Reading through the Toxx/Occ thread is amazing. I've found myself rewatching a few episodes as he's reviewed them, and appreciating them all over again. Just rewatched Vampires of Venice and I've found I enjoyed it a hell of a lot more than I did on broadcast. It's a genuinely good episodes. 5 Rorys out of 5.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

whoops, misclicked

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I've never seen Spaced, or any of the Cornetto movies, but Ghostbusters is a perfect movie so obviously it's better than any of them.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Astroman posted:

"PHIL? PHIL CON-NORS? IS THAT YOU?"

*Dalek plunges into the sand*

WHOA! WATCH THAT FIRST STEP! IT IS A DOOOOOOOO-ZY!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

CobiWann posted:

The Living Daylights is my favorite Bond movie.

This is the most correct opinion in this thread.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Back on topic.

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doctor-who---main-range-to-2020

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

The Doctor based collections sound good. Easier to skip the fifth and go straight for Six and Seventh doctor stuff.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Diabolik900 posted:

I've never seen Spaced, or any of the Cornetto movies, but Ghostbusters is a perfect movie so obviously it's better than any of them.

Spaced is a television programme!!!

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
My Three loving ex is gonna be happy if this means more Three audios.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Spaced is a television programme!!!

I'm aware of this, and apologize if my wording made it seem otherwise.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Everything was fine with this forum until this thread was updated by dickless here.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

CobiWann posted:

Everything was fine with this forum until this thread was updated by dickless here.

Is that true?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Fil5000 posted:

Is that true?

Yes, it's true, that man has no dick.

Diabolik900 posted:

Ghostbusters is good and fills me with warm feelings of nostalgia, but it isn't perfect. Winston isn't much of a character (supposedly all his good lines got stolen by the other guys), and all the EPA as the bad guys stuff is pretty dubious.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

marktheando posted:

Ghostbusters is good and fills me with warm feelings of nostalgia, but it isn't perfect.

YOUR MOTHER!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I wonder how often William Atherton has to say "No, you don't understand! I'm an actor! It was my character who had no dick!"

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Bicyclops posted:

I wonder how often William Atherton has to say "No, you don't understand! I'm an actor! It was my character who had no dick!"

While being offered popcorn.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

The_Doctor posted:

Reading through the Toxx/Occ thread is amazing. I've found myself rewatching a few episodes as he's reviewed them, and appreciating them all over again. Just rewatched Vampires of Venice and I've found I enjoyed it a hell of a lot more than I did on broadcast. It's a genuinely good episodes. 5 Rorys out of 5.

I've been saying this for the last five [Rory] years out of five.

Strongly disapprove of the drubbing The Rings of Akhaten is currently getting over there, though.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Doctor Who: 10 Years of ignoring the episodes and talking about audios Ghostbusters and dickless people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

I think he mentioned in the bonus features for the DVD or Blu-Ray release that (unsurprisingly) people always come up to him in the street and address him as "Dickless."

• Locked thread