Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

A section of the cavity has collapsed!

I wonder if they way these libraries is functioning is going to inform an eventual shift of workshops to being zone-based. It looks like the mechanics are going to be pretty transferrable, though workshops wouldn't be as autonomous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Praise the miners! We have struck bone.

A section of the lung has collapsed!

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Horrifying screams come from below!

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Miner cancels operate: Damp tissue
x18983943

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
diskworld mod where you can mine the carcasses of colossal longdead beasts for tallow and such

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

At the moment, no. All the technology development is just flavour setting for now. It might affect some of the tools civs have available down the line, similar to how animal training is, but I don't think he wants to restrict the things you can do with your fortress very much.

If nothing else you'd probably want to be able to continue advancing world gen for a century or two before making such a thing important; it'd suck to start a fort just to realise no one in your world has invented steel or the archimedean screw yet.

I wonder if he'll have to put artificial restrictions in place at some point so that cross-cultural exchange doesn't result in humans getting all the advances that are supposed to be dwarf-only. Such as steel, actually.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

He already has different races doing different stuff, so I'd imagine there's a priority weight system like with art images and such.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Just watched a merchant sprint away from a fire straight into a lava moat. My butcher was horrified but I laughed.

But now the merchants aren't leaving. There might be some tension.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 05:56 on May 26, 2015

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Bay12 status: a dude wrote scripts to make stuff rot away properly. Options include: constantly reanimating undead (weaken after a few weeks, collapse for good after a few months), clothes, food and corpses & other body parts.

The food script is especially big. By default, it makes all fish (raw and otherwise), eggs, cheese, plants, plant growths and prepared meals have a strict shelf life of... 10 to 14 weeks?

code:
		items.each { |type|
			type.each { |i|
				i.wear_timer += 1
				if (i.wear_timer > 24 + rand(8))
					i.wear_timer = 0
					i.wear += 1
				end
				if (i.wear > 3)
					i.flags.garbage_collect = true
				end	
			}
		}
I disagree with the cheese bit, but it looks really simple to modify.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Plants too, but on a more case-by-case. You think wheat or potatoes only lasts in storage for 4 months?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I wouldn't mind taking that script and just nixing the food stuff.

The clothes and body parts on the ground everywhere rotting away would be great but I don't need my food stocks spoiling too. Not that it's hard to get food but it's just extra CPU cycles for no reason.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

It's a pile of separate scripts, you wouldn't have to run deterioratefood.rb at all.

That one's more of a measure against the whole "normal farming practices equals four-digit storage counts" thing.

e: Segregating plants is something I probably couldn't do. That one checks the df.world.items.other vectors for whole categories like FISH_RAW and PLANT_GROWTH.

The clothes script targets ARMORLEVEL:0 stuff that's lying on the ground with at least one level of threadbareness. The corpse deterioration happens to ANY_CORPSE stuff (bodies, bodyparts) that hasn't come off dead dwarves. Everything else and vermin remains are fair game. The starvingdead script seems like it turns on only when there's more than 25 undead creatures milling around.

e2: Oh and hi Toady how are you

Toady One posted:

I decided it was time to shift gears to adventure mode so that the last remaining dwarfy bits can grow up with the adventure bits that need to be finished, and so adventure mode doesn't creep up badly on us as we try to get this release completed. The main push in adventure mode is going to be toward making taverns and inns lively, though I'm starting with some work on character generation to accommodate artistic knowledge and the new needs system. This involves allowing you to select your personality, with the resulting needs being clearly shown -- there aren't that many yet, especially as it applies to adventure mode, but it'll continue to become more interesting. You'll also be able to see and reroll your physical appearance before you start playing. As in dwarf mode, keeping your needs satisfied gives you modest overall benefits, and it takes them a while to drain, so it's fun for roleplaying without being too onerous a burden.

Hunger ||||||||...
Thirst ||||.......
*Ennui |||||||||||||||||||||||

scamtank fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 27, 2015

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I got my first siege in the second year, which consists of two undead. I'm safe inside my fort but they massacred all my grazing animals outside, as well as a gang of monkeys that showed up for some reason.

Unfortunately, my embark was sparsely forested, and I ran out of lumber just as I was ramping up my military, so I have exactly 4 weapons- the two picks and battle axe I brought on embark and an iron mace I made just as my charcoal ran out.

So now I need to decide if I send out my ill-armed and mostly untrained squad to go get potentially get slaughtered or hide in the fort and wait/hope that they go away.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Glass of Milk posted:

I got my first siege in the second year, which consists of two undead. I'm safe inside my fort but they massacred all my grazing animals outside, as well as a gang of monkeys that showed up for some reason.

Unfortunately, my embark was sparsely forested, and I ran out of lumber just as I was ramping up my military, so I have exactly 4 weapons- the two picks and battle axe I brought on embark and an iron mace I made just as my charcoal ran out.

So now I need to decide if I send out my ill-armed and mostly untrained squad to go get potentially get slaughtered or hide in the fort and wait/hope that they go away.

Option 3: Dig down to the caverns and chop down mushroom trees for wood.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

Spanish Matlock posted:

Option 3: Dig down to the caverns and chop down mushroom trees for wood.
This is the best idea. You should always attempt to solve problems via methods most likely to bring more interesting scenarios, lest things get dull.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

modding status: what the gently caress are cheek whiskers

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

scamtank posted:

modding status: what the gently caress are cheek whiskers

They're like chin whiskers, but higher.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Time for another development update, courtesy of the Patreon:

Bay 12 Games' Patreon posted:

We started with fortress mode research and ended with a character generation revamp. As usual there are details over on the development log over at http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves . I've separated the race and civilization selection and done a few other things to make character generation friendlier. I just wrapped up some options for the appearance paragraphs. The odd thing about it is that your characters are pulled from specific population pools at the sites where they reside, and these populations have appearance information that is a little difficult to control directly (since it acts on the "genetic" information of the new character, instead of the phenotype). I went with a randomization option that allows you to reroll the appearance paragraph within the population parameters, and another one that allows you to reroll your appearance using the full range possible for that creature. The full option still leads to proper genetics, so any children would end up working correctly. The same wouldn't be true of sliders or something like that -- reverse engineering the genetics from the sliders is partially possible now, but it'll eventually be totally impossible, so I haven't attempted a manual appearance customizer (although I think it would eventually be amusing to have a modern slider-type face customizer that just changes a text paragraph).

The next project is livening up the adventure mode taverns. The game will give your characters with musical skills a starting instrument and practical artistic knowledge, so the liveliest one will probably be you, he he he.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Alehkhs posted:

Time for another development update, courtesy of the Patreon:

Im glad this update will run at a smooth 5 FPS

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I think you meant to put that the other way round, 5 seconds per frame.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

bay12 status:

find the difference

Fuubi
Jan 18, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'm trying really hard not to make the obvious (inverted) Dbz reference, but eh, screw it~!

He's... UNDER nine thousand~?

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Those aren't dwarf names.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah that last dude is a fisherman

finally I can resume making Human Hamlets. You think the elves are pissed off at dwarves? My entire town is wood.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Dwarf Fortress 2014 : No longer about dwarves or fortresses

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Excelzior posted:

Dwarf Fortress 2014 : No longer about dwarves or fortresses

Let's also remember that Armok never made an appearance. So, really, all that's left of the original design is Slaves.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Slaves II: Settlement of some Description

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

TildeATH posted:

Let's also remember that Armok never made an appearance. So, really, all that's left of the original design is Slaves.

Armok is you, the player, as you crave the blood of dwarves and all beings.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I sorta hope there'll be a way to make dwarf-only fortresses, as I am a dwarfist

Houka
Mar 27, 2014

atomicthumbs posted:

I sorta hope there'll be a way to make dwarf-only fortresses, as I am a dwarfist

Create lever-activated kill chambers assigned to whatever poor jerk you want to murder. Make it a public spectacle. Set them near the dining hall, so that all may know what happens to disgusting elves/humans/goblins/etc. that claim to reside in your fortress.

Sell tickets.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

Toady posted:

...This involves allowing you to select your personality, with the resulting needs being clearly shown...

This reminds me-- even if you get to specify personality, your avatar will still HAVE a personality independent from the player, meaning that you're creating a person, immediately stripping that person of almost all motive force, possessing them, and then leaving them to merely watch as you do whatever, allowing them only the power to weep if they don't approve of your actions.

I Have No Mouth And Yet Must Scream is still in place, regardless of being able to select the personality of your victim in advance.

TildeATH posted:

As long as it is still possible to remove limbs, Armok isn't going anywhere, and has always been with us.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Iunnrais posted:

This reminds me-- even if you get to specify personality, your avatar will still HAVE a personality independent from the player, meaning that you're creating a person, immediately stripping that person of almost all motive force, possessing them, and then leaving them to merely watch as you do whatever, allowing them only the power to weep if they don't approve of your actions.

I Have No Mouth And Yet Must Scream is still in place, regardless of being able to select the personality of your victim in advance.

If you retire your adventurer the main personality takes over! Also this person either didn't exist up till the moment you created it, or lived a full and motive life and then one day got possessed by something it would imagine is a god.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Imagine if every dwarf that ever got possessed in your fort was actually someone who just wanted to try out this neat new crafting recipe that they heard about.

Vlonald Prump
Aug 28, 2011

Here in America, you grab them by pussy. In old country, pussy grab you!!
Buglord

TildeATH posted:

Don't be silly, there's plenty of blood.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Baloogan posted:

If you retire your adventurer the main personality takes over! Also this person either didn't exist up till the moment you created it, or lived a full and motive life and then one day got possessed by something it would imagine is a god.

The player then takes over the entire nation and leads them in a war of conquest against a neighboring country, only to fall in the climactic battle to a gigantic bomb that incinerates all souls unfortunate enough to be caught in the blast.

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer

neogeo0823 posted:

Imagine if every dwarf that ever got possessed in your fort was actually someone who just wanted to try out this neat new crafting recipe that they heard about.

Toady is hard at work designing Dwarf Pinterest as we speak

Automated Posting
Jan 12, 2013

Material properties don't matter for ranged weapons, right? I just had a random furnace operator get into a mood and crank out an artifact brass crossbow.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
The material properties only matter when the crossbow is inevitably used as a melee weapon once the bolts run out. Brass isn't ideal, but it'll bash well enough.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I have not played DF in a while. I downloaded the latest version of Masterwork and don't see any options in there related to all of the extra buildings and professions they added. Did they take them out, or am I missing something? I usually turn most of them off.

All of the options related to extra "types" of minerals, plants, animals etc are also all gone? Options related to how hard various industries are, are also gone? I liked increasing the difficulty of farming for example.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
I think the people making Masterwork had to start over from scratch after the new version of Dwarf Fortress came out last year, they couldn't just port Masterwork over as it was. I have no idea how playable the new version of MW is, but you could grab an older version of Dwarf Fortress and the old version of Masterwork if you wanted all the old stuff.