Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Heran Bago posted:

http://hackaday.com/2015/02/07/brewing-beer-with-a-sous-vide-cooker/

How bad is this for the thing, or how hard is it to clean to use for food again?

My main concern would be the sugars in the wort would-i think- caramelize or burn onto the heating element depending on how heavy the duty cycle is. That might be tricky to scrub off given the dimensions and delicacy of the bits in whatever SV you're using

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Theoretically, couldn't you achieve kind of a double-boiler effect by bagging your brew and putting it in a bigger container filled with hot water and your sous vide? That way your machine never actually comes into contact with anything other than water?

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
I'm sure you could but this guy was just being lazy. I'd never do what he did to my anova- what if it hosed with the sensor?

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Heran Bago posted:

http://hackaday.com/2015/02/07/brewing-beer-with-a-sous-vide-cooker/

How bad is this for the thing, or how hard is it to clean to use for food again?

Do what I do and use the sous vide in a bucket of water as a herms vessel. Copper coil, hose in and out, recirculating the wort through the coil. Great way to get a herms setup for cheap

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

McSpergin posted:

Do what I do and use the sous vide in a bucket of water as a herms vessel. Copper coil, hose in and out, recirculating the wort through the coil. Great way to get a herms setup for cheap

That sounds really cool. Do you have anymore info on it?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Sansaires are practically disposable. Just buy a couple dozen and use 'em for beer until they crap out like normal.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Heran Bago posted:

That sounds really cool. Do you have anymore info on it?

Yeah. Basically I'll assume you don't know what herms is - herms refers to High Efficiency Recirculating Mash System. You have a secondary vessel at a temperature close to that of the main mash. Basically I used my Anova in a spare 20 litre bucket, I have a herms coil I hadn't got around to finishing building (Enclosure/wiring), but had the copper coil I had bent to fit the enclosure with fittings. Ran an out from my mash tun (I BIAB so 1v), through a pump, into the inlet of the copper system, the mash runs through the pipe which is immersed in the water in the second vessel and keeps it warm, and then back into the top of the mash. I have a little ghetto rig I built that I use at the moment but intend on using something like an auto sparge as a recirculation device.
Basically it's a good way of something similar to RIMS but doesn't risk scorching the wort on the element, and gets the wort maximum exposure to the enzymes by recycling. This brew didn't run well because I had teething issues with some fittings but I reckon I can dial it up to my usual 81% brew house efficiency.

On an actual sous vide note, I did a thing. 70C beef short ribs for 20h, seared in butter and olive oil, with sautéed Dutch carrots, sous vide mashed potato (sous vide the potato then boil normally to lock the starches in) and sautéed asparagus. I did the veg for half a day at the same temp as the meat, ramped to 72 for the potatoes, added in a half bag of some hollandaise I had already made a while back to loosen and warm it up, and that was dinner.
loving spectacular cut of meat. I've tried attaching an image but imgur is being lovely with phone posting

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Heh, it worked.
The gravy is just cooking juice gravy thickened up with some gravy powder and beef stock, and seasoned

Scinon
Jul 23, 2006
Now with 2% more atoms!
http://slickdeals.net/f/7882261-anova-percision-sous-vide-cooker-129-w-free-shipping

Anova with bluetooth on sale for $129 w/ promo code LUVDAD

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Takes a big chunk out of the $70 shipping charge :argh:

You think they negotiated rates with FedEx?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It says free shipping?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

So I had something weird happen to me last night. I've tried putting rice in my slapdash sous vide before, and although my recipe was hosed the rice still came out cooked fine. But last night, I tried making a caribbean chicken curry, and for whatever reason the rice just would not cook! Temperature was 145 degrees, after the first hour and a half I checked on it each half an hour, and the rice kept feeling grainy and uncooked. After three hours, I gave up, pulled the bag, and plated it. The chicken was fantastic, it tasted wonderful, but the rice was completely underdone.

What went wrong? How is that even possible? There was plenty of moisture in the bag for the rice to take up, it just... didn't!

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
I've heard people talking about acidity screwing up beans, maybe it's the same with rice?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
What is the benefit to cooking rice sous-vide?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Phanatic posted:

It won't burn on the stove ruining both dinner and your pot.

Nothing really. If it isn't protein based I don'y 'get' using a sous vide for it.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Anova just announced on their Facebook that the Anova One is on sale through Amazon for $99 with the coupon code ANOVAONE. There's virtually no excuse not to get one, it's awesome.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Phanatic posted:

I wanted to sous vide the chicken, and it seemed easier to just do everything at once.

Psy890
Jan 18, 2005

G-Prime posted:

Anova just announced on their Facebook that the Anova One is on sale through Amazon for $99 with the coupon code ANOVAONE. There's virtually no excuse not to get one, it's awesome.

This works. There is tax on amazon, but still probably as cheap as it is going to get.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

G-Prime posted:

Well gently caress me for getting mine for $179.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Beautiful, I've been waiting for it to drop under $100 to pull the trigger. Thanks!

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Oof, the offer ends 6/12/15, and my next paycheck arrives on 6/12/15. I wonder if I'll be able to pull off a buzzer beater here? :v:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Credit card or borrow it?

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
You can also get a loan from a pawn shop- you put an item up as collateral, and you get it back if you pay the loan off.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Sell plasma

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
My roommate and I just bought the ANOVAs on sale. Can you use two on the same (large) vessel to expedite heating? Will the two kinda gently caress with each other?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
You can totally do that

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ok so if I want to vizzle BSCBs, what's the best method. Pound them first? What time and temp?

I'm in the mood for a chicken Caesar salad, and figure this might be a good way to go. I've never done BSCBs, but that's mainly because I never buy them. So tell me how to make them good.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Ok so if I want to vizzle BSCBs, what's the best method. Pound them first? What time and temp?

I'm in the mood for a chicken Caesar salad, and figure this might be a good way to go. I've never done BSCBs, but that's mainly because I never buy them. So tell me how to make them good.

I get them in the individually-vacuum-packed family packs at Wegmans, and then just cut off the individual packs and dump them straight in at 140F. At 140F, you need to sit at that temp for 35 minutes to be safe, but since I'm taking them right out of the freezer and cooking them, I leave them in the bath for a couple of hours just to be sure.

Once they're cooked, do whatever you want with them.

Like wrap them in proscuitto and finish them off in a pan with some white wine, garlic, capers, and mushrooms.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Phanatic posted:

I get them in the individually-vacuum-packed family packs at Wegmans, and then just cut off the individual packs and dump them straight in at 140F. At 140F, you need to sit at that temp for 35 minutes to be safe, but since I'm taking them right out of the freezer and cooking them, I leave them in the bath for a couple of hours just to be sure.

Once they're cooked, do whatever you want with them.

Like wrap them in proscuitto and finish them off in a pan with some white wine, garlic, capers, and mushrooms.

Careful if you're worried about pasteurizing, you add a ton of time to what is required if you start from frozen.

(from http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html)

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

There's a half off sale on right now over at Amazon

G-Prime posted:

Yoink! Been wanting one for a while. Thanks!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Yeah, my mother's getting on in years and cooking sous vide sounds like it'd be a godsend for her. Drop poo poo in, wait, then grill. Plus her birthday's on the 12th, so bonus.

Now to explain how she can use Ziploc Freezer bags and not have to buy a vacuum sealing machine.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Anne Whateley posted:

Beautiful, I've been waiting for it to drop under $100 to pull the trigger. Thanks!

Same. I am inordinately excited about it.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

G-Prime posted:

I ordered one at 10AM yesterday and it was at my door by 6PM, thanks Amazon. Immediately tossed some short ribs at 140 in for dinner tomorrow night.

What's everyone's go to vacuum sealer? Should I just get a cheap foodsaver one?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sportman posted:

I ordered one at 10AM yesterday and it was at my door by 6PM, thanks Amazon. Immediately tossed some short ribs at 140 in for dinner tomorrow night.

What's everyone's go to vacuum sealer? Should I just get a cheap foodsaver one?

Pretty much. Lots of folks don't even use a vacuum sealer, they just use zip locs and the submersion method, but I wouldn't trust them for long cooks.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
They're fine for long cooks if you clip the tops to the side of the vessel

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Yeah, I've done most of my longer cooks either using ziplocs or asking the butcher to vacuum-seal cuts for me. A good butcher shop should do it for free, and most of the places I've asked have been really interested in chatting about sous vide cooking.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

If you want a chamber sealer you can usually find a deal on a VacMaster VP112. It has a plastic lid but is portable and works great for the price. The newer ones even have a double wire deal bar which is nice. It's. It the fanciest chamber but it is a chamber and works juuuuuust fine for me.
It can also be used to compress melons and do quick pickles and stuff too.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Can you (or anyone with a vac sealer) elaborate on how the bags are? I forget what materials they are made of (although it can be much cheaper) but do they hold up well in the freezer and stuff too?

Edit: talking about non waffle bags for chamber sealers

Hed fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 31, 2015

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Buy these for a chamber sealer: http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-13140/High-Clarity-Polypropylene/4-x-6-3-Mil-Flat-Polypropylene-Bags

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup in a Bag
Dec 4, 2009
All the "different" foodsaver options made me angry and confused so I got a seal-a-meal for $30. (looks like it's $50 now idk why). It's worked well enough for sous vide and freezing things.