Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
To me, what's going on in his writing is something which I feel goes beyond and is more complicated than simply "being an rear end in a top hat." I think that this is what grates on me. If you look at what he's writing about, and how he writes, I sense that he writes from a position of disillusionment, misanthropy, and self-loathing. CML is a neurotic writer, a writer who can be frustrating to read, a writer who challenges one's patience, but at the very least writes with an attempt to make something memorable, which is something I personally value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

How is he supposed to know what that troll is if he wasn't here when the original post got quoted, though?

The fact that the posts he's quoting to reply to often have nothing in common with what he actually posts?

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

How is he supposed to know what that troll is if he wasn't here when the original post got quoted, though?

If he can't be bothered to read the entire thread in order to understand the context of the current conversation, that's on him buddy!

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

You guys need to chill the gently caress out. I missed the fact he was quoting some other idiot, too.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

CountFosco posted:

People talk all the time about how he is a "bad writer" but I never see people making a case for him actually being a bad writer (i.e. writes poorly) and all I can assume is people just don't like his content and opinions. Yeah, occasionally he misses in his writing but generally he misses because he's trying to do something different, the part in his scg portland tournament report where he makes the tinder pun being a notable standout. I'll take writing that tries to do something different and fails sometimes over the massive amount of sameness in style that we get with so many MTG articles.
I like his writing, and I like it even more when people tell me I shouldn't.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

CountFosco posted:

To me, what's going on in his writing is something which I feel goes beyond and is more complicated than simply "being an rear end in a top hat." I think that this is what grates on me. If you look at what he's writing about, and how he writes, I sense that he writes from a position of disillusionment, misanthropy, and self-loathing. CML is a neurotic writer, a writer who can be frustrating to read, a writer who challenges one's patience, but at the very least writes with an attempt to make something memorable, which is something I personally value.

His writing is honestly not bad. I don't know why people can't separate that from him being an insufferable douchebag.

Although as someone who totally hasn't tripped a bunch of times because that's illegal, he strikes me as the type of person who drinks one beer at a party and then goes around telling everyone how wasted he is and acting like what he thinks a drunk person acts like. He may have been "buzzed" but he definitely wasn't tripping balls and winning high level competitive games of Magic.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

It's not that it's bad, it's not that he's an "rear end in a top hat" or a "troll," it's that it's extremely obvious and boring.

edit: It's extremely inauthentic and I wasn't even remotely surprised when he dropped a reference to the gonzo journalist.

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 31, 2015

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Here's an rear end in a top hat troll for you: bring back search and shuffle effects, WotC :twisted:

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Veyrall posted:

I like his writing, and I like it even more when people tell me I shouldn't.

Do you like the fact that he simultaneously despises Magic and is obviously the greatest at it? That when he fails at the Pro Tour, reasons that it wasn't his fault, everything and everyone elses fault. When he succeeds at a SCG Open well it is just because he is so much better than everyone else, in fact he did it with one hand tied behind his back! (shrooms) He is the worst kind of person because he wants to make the average Magic player feel bad about themselves while also being dismissive of anyone better than him. He's an rear end in a top hat.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

jassi007 posted:

Do you like the fact that he simultaneously despises Magic and is obviously the greatest at it? That when he fails at the Pro Tour, reasons that it wasn't his fault, everything and everyone elses fault. When he succeeds at a SCG Open well it is just because he is so much better than everyone else, in fact he did it with one hand tied behind his back! (shrooms) He is the worst kind of person because he wants to make the average Magic player feel bad about themselves while also being dismissive of anyone better than him. He's an rear end in a top hat.

It makes you uncomfortable because it doesn't fit the carefully manufactured narrative that magic is cool, being good at magic is better, and if you work really hard you can be a respected magic pro with its awesome rewards being the 'best'. That thinking is promoted by wotc and nearly everyone else who produces magic content to justify the ridiculous amounts of money and energy people put in to the game.

People get so in to magic it defines part of their character (I'm sure you see this in lots of fandoms as well). Then, they feel personally insulted when he criticizes magic generally and call him an rear end in a top hat. In person he's an affable, hilarious, well spoken guy who is a blast to hang out with.

Anyways we're in Vegas for the rest of the day but probably not going back to the convention centre if anyone wants to meet up.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I think that carefully constructed narrative is a very good and descriptive phrase that applies to this situation, yes.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Lol real post or not fuzzy mammal's post gets it. It reminds me of a similar socioeconomic thinking. and people get really mad when you say of course ~pros~ finish well a lot because the feedback loop of byes, cheating, and judge bullying gets them there and gets them past the random chance this game offers.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
LSV's highway patrol look is just making me laugh.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

jassi007 posted:

None of this has anything to do with his writing though.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Chill la Chill posted:

Lol real post or not fuzzy mammal's post gets it. It reminds me of a similar socioeconomic thinking. and people get really mad when you say of course ~pros~ finish well a lot because the feedback loop of byes, cheating, and judge bullying gets them there and gets them past the random chance this game offers.

Someone at GP NJ claimed that "loving pro players" had manufactured the parking situation so people had to park illegally and were getting towed

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

Angry Grimace posted:

I just assume anything longer than a paragraph is some MTGS quote and skip over it.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

mr. mephistopheles posted:

None of this has anything to do with his writing though.

It's a problem with his writing in that he's communicating bad ideas in lovely ways. Or are you deflecting criticism with a lovely strict definition?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

AgentSythe posted:

Someone at GP NJ claimed that "loving pro players" had manufactured the parking situation so people had to park illegally and were getting towed

I like to tilt my opponents by having their car towed

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
This weird sushi thing where they keep focusing on the one white guy :lol:

This is basically what I assume Japanese TV is like all the time.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It's a problem with his writing in that he's communicating bad ideas in lovely ways. Or are you deflecting criticism with a lovely strict definition?

In addition to the issues with the content, AgentSythe kindly pointed out what is wrong with his writing as well. Well aside from is an rear end in a top hat, that isn't a flaw with his technical writing, just his character.

AgentSythe posted:

-Overuses cliches
-Uses a thesaurus the same way a high school freshman does
-Unironic trailing ellipses
-A lot of sort of weird, awkward sentences
-Is an rear end in a top hat

He also has a lot of sentences that are like someone trying to fill out the page quota on a paper

jassi007 fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 31, 2015

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

why are you spelling my name that way

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

mr. mephistopheles posted:

His writing is honestly not bad. I don't know why people can't separate that from him being an insufferable douchebag.

Although as someone who totally hasn't tripped a bunch of times because that's illegal, he strikes me as the type of person who drinks one beer at a party and then goes around telling everyone how wasted he is and acting like what he thinks a drunk person acts like. He may have been "buzzed" but he definitely wasn't tripping balls and winning high level competitive games of Magic.

My position is that at times his writing is bad, but that what poor writing he produces is a side-effect of trying to make something memorable and stumbling. But it's not universally bad and at least he has ambition.

Watching his winner's interview for the SCG tournament, I am totally willing to believe that he was still tripping. Have you seen the top 8 group photo of that event? It's comical how easy it is to pick out the one who's tripping.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

CountFosco posted:

Watching his winner's interview for the SCG tournament, I am totally willing to believe that he was still tripping. Have you seen the top 8 group photo of that event? It's comical how easy it is to pick out the one who's tripping.

I mean he definitely comes off as a caricature of what people think a person tripping balls acts like, which is what makes me think he actually wasn't, like the inexperienced person who thinks they're drunk off a beer and acts like a jackass. I have no doubt that he ate some shrooms, but I think he is massively exaggerating the amount and how much they were impacting him to try to look cooler.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Maybe some lovely writing about magic not being a real pro sport would make sense in a world where dozens of writers and hall of famers dont regularly reflect on that fact.

Kibker and LSV both say "Pro" should stand for promotional not professional. No ides why that guy feels he needs to rail against a non existent narrative by writing like an rear end in a top hat on purpose.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 21:08 on May 31, 2015

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Who's still here? I'd say hi to some jabronis or play legacy.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I did read CML's article and it wasn't the worst thing I've ever read (I grade for sophomore level classes sometimes), I did enjoy watching the video coverage of his quarterfinal match as he tries to figure out the blocks against the avatar and the den protector. Watching him slide Sidisi around like that is much funnier with context.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
The teen at my local shop apparently just 3-0ed the first draft at Event #2, including beating Christian Calcano. He's 11-1. Also he won a Mox Emerald in the registration lottery and is 18 years old.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
The thing a lot of people who try to ape Hunter Thompson seem to not realize is that he wrote straight journalism stories for years before developing his trademark gonzo style and persona. CML's writing reads like someone who wants to break away from rules and traditions of writing without actually understanding them.

HotBobaloo
Jun 19, 2002
Anyone have any opinions on U/R Twin vs. Grixis Twin? Have the cards for both, but not sure which to build.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I also feel like someone at some point told Hunter S. Thompson, "your life is interesting, you should write about that" and he said OK.

CML comes across like a person who is declaring his life is interesting and trying desperately to show it. A lot of things don't feel genuine.

Its guy fieri vs Anthony Bordain.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Someone found this on IRC: https://twitter.com/BigTonyL82/status/605166614452027392/photo/1

Elyv fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jun 1, 2015

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

I guess that's more fuel for the supplemental product producer being poo poo - the Collector's Number means that card's from Gideon's intro deck (or the deckbuilder's toolkit).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Is the "I opened this in a MM15 pack" part plausible?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rinkles posted:

It happened with Rootborn Defenses before RTR came out IIRC.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Elyv posted:

It happened with Rootborn Defenses before RTR came out IIRC.

It's happened multiple times, across multiple sets in the last few years.

It's actually more surprising to me now when it doesn't happen

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Rinkles posted:

We had Magister of Worth show up in Born of the Gods prerelease packs, some people speculated it was a whoops, some people claim it was promotion for Conspiracy.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Count Bleck posted:

We had Magister of Worth show up in Born of the Gods prerelease packs, some people speculated it was a whoops, some people claim it was promotion for Conspiracy.

It was 100% promotion for Conspiracy because unlike normal Magisters, the BNG Magister had a number printed on the back which led people on one of those Internet scavenger hunts that ended with the spoiler for Cogwork Librarian.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I don't know who CML is, somehow. I think I like it that way?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

I find that that is a plausible card, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I'd play that card in a draft if I really had to

• Locked thread