Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Countblanc posted:

This is what I really want yeah, though you really don't spend a ton of time between each crystal, most of the game is post-Earth. But all random is ok too.

Maybe it just re-rolls between worlds? Would you be allowed to use abilities from previous worlds...I can't imagine you could, that'd just promote a ton of grinding between worlds and make the game trivially easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011

Schwartzcough posted:

On the one hand I like keeping the details of Chaos in the dark, but on the other I'm afraid you'll end up with a lot of boring runs that are all Freelancers for most of the first world. And the rules might need some clarification.

Let's say you get your first job- Dancer. So you have to be all freelancers until you get to the water crystal, and tweet for your second job- Samurai. So now you're still all Freelancers until you get to the fire crystal. You tweet for your job- Ranger. Ok, are you allowed to have 4 rangers now? Or only two, with two freelancers stuck standing in for the Dancer/Samurai you don't have yet? So whatever the case, you fight your way to the earth crystal, and tweet for your last job- Monk. But since this is Chaos mode, is it OK to tweet for all 4 of your jobs right away? So theoretically after the wind crystal you can use Monks, even though they are technically your "earth" job?

Being able to tweet right away for all jobs, and use any jobs you have for all 4 characters (assuming you have at least one of each job you actually can access) seems better, but it's not clear.
Only Natural runs let you use Freelancer stand-ins and no runs let you preload your jobs, so logically you'd use all Freelancers until you get Ranger, at which point it's four Ranger time. The only reason I can really fathom for an exception in a hypothetical true-random Chaos would be to prevent Death by Four Berserker.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
I'm doing this for the first time. I don't think I ever beat FF5 before, so this is going to be extra fun.

My party is knight/summoner/ninja/samurai. Am I correct in assuming that I am going to be very reliant on healing potions?

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I haven't done this before, will you get your party jobs the day of?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Ithaqua posted:

I'm doing this for the first time. I don't think I ever beat FF5 before, so this is going to be extra fun.

My party is knight/summoner/ninja/samurai. Am I correct in assuming that I am going to be very reliant on healing potions?

yeah but poo poo's going to die so quickly that it's not going to matter. also quick tip, ninja's scrolls scale off of magic so if you give him !summon you're going to tear poo poo up

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

imgay posted:

I haven't done this before, will you get your party jobs the day of?

When you get to your respective crystal, you tweet #wind, #water, #fire, or #earth to Gilgabot and he will respond with a job to you.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Donated for last year and reg'd with #RegChaos #BERSERKERRISK

Going with the classic
$20 if I don't finish
$10 for each berserker I get
$30 if a goon kills Shinryu and Omega with a 3-berserker, no-chemist team

Schwartzcough posted:

On the one hand I like keeping the details of Chaos in the dark, but on the other I'm afraid you'll end up with a lot of boring runs that are all Freelancers for most of the first world. And the rules might need some clarification.

Let's say you get your first job- Dancer. So you have to be all freelancers until you get to the water crystal, and tweet for your second job- Samurai. So now you're still all Freelancers until you get to the fire crystal. You tweet for your job- Ranger. Ok, are you allowed to have 4 rangers now? Or only two, with two freelancers stuck standing in for the Dancer/Samurai you don't have yet? So whatever the case, you fight your way to the earth crystal, and tweet for your last job- Monk. But since this is Chaos mode, is it OK to tweet for all 4 of your jobs right away? So theoretically after the wind crystal you can use Monks, even though they are technically your "earth" job?

Being able to tweet right away for all jobs, and use any jobs you have for all 4 characters (assuming you have at least one of each job you actually can access) seems better, but it's not clear.

A few months back I wrote an algorithm implementing new FJF tags, one of which was like "True Random". The rules were that you could use a party of freelancers if you had no available jobs and one freelancer if berserker was the only available job. The trick to the algorithm was that it re-ordered the party after generation to minimize these rules. For instance, it would switch Berserker/Thief/Geomancer/Black Mage to Thief/Berserker/Geomancer/Black Mage. With the original random ordering, you'd get a 30% chance of a usable job at the Wind Crystal, 81% at the Water Crystal (29% of both being usable). With re-ordering (and not using doubles in generation), the odds are

Wind Crystal 79.39%
Water Crystal 97.40%,78.33%
Fire Crystal 99.98%,98.66%,83.80%

The numbers are slightly lower if doubles are allowed. Freelancers are fairly uncommon unless #BERSERKERRISK is used, and Freelancer/triple berserker isn't that different from other three berserker parties.

That said, I have no idea what's actually in the ~~MYSTERY BOX~~.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Capsaicin posted:

When you get to your respective crystal, you tweet #wind, #water, #fire, or #earth to Gilgabot and he will respond with a job to you.

You shouldn't ever have to tweet #wind actually. Gilgabot assigns the wind job when the Fiesta starts if you preregistered, and whenever you register for a new run, it gives you your wind job right off the bad in the verification tweet.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I think preregs have had to #wind in the past.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Looking at my twitter, I did tweet #wind in 2012, but I did not in 2013.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
My Black Mage / Mystic Knight / Bard team is having a real problem with the second form of Archaeoaevis: I can't keep up with just potions when it can bring the whole party to under 10 hp any time it wants, I can't do anything to stop getting confused (apparently hitting my own guys with elemental damage doesn't turn them back?), and I just can't do enough physical damage with anyone. If I use one of the level 2 spellblade spells (i.e. poison or sleep), my damage should be non-elemental, right? Should I be doing more than ~200 per shot with my Mystic Knights? Maybe I just need some levels (all four are in the 17 range).

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Can someone clarify how exactly the RoM patches work? I'm probably going to install a GBA emulator on my phone for this and would like to actually play with the patched up versions if they're needed for #chaos mode to work.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Part of me thinks it'd be fun to participate in this, but I've got a loooooooong history of leaving RPGs half finished and I would likely not finish before this event is over and done with. I'm currently trying to play FF5 on my phone just because the job system still appeals to me, but I still have NO IDEA which jobs synergize with which and which are good and which are awful and so on and so forth. Too many choices makes me indecisive. Still I guess I'll give it a try sort of unofficially; play through on my own and come to this thread for help and advice.

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

khy posted:

Part of me thinks it'd be fun to participate in this, but I've got a loooooooong history of leaving RPGs half finished and I would likely not finish before this event is over and done with. I'm currently trying to play FF5 on my phone just because the job system still appeals to me, but I still have NO IDEA which jobs synergize with which and which are good and which are awful and so on and so forth. Too many choices makes me indecisive. Still I guess I'll give it a try sort of unofficially; play through on my own and come to this thread for help and advice.

Stop being a baby and join the fiesta.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

khy posted:

I have that same problem, which is why the fiesta is great: you don't have to think about it anymore. You no longer get to decide.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

khy posted:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

khy posted:

I'm currently trying to play FF5 on my phone just because the job system still appeals to me, but I still have NO IDEA which jobs synergize with which and which are good and which are awful and so on and so forth. Too many choices makes me indecisive.

You're falling victim to the RPG Player Overoptimization Problem (the same problem that drives a lot of players to use walkthroughs and maps, instead of experiencing the game on their own).

The way to fix this is to just pick what you think looks cool or is fun to play, or both!, and play the game through. Don't worry about being as optimal as possible, or that you might miss something, because FF5 doesn't require that level of optimal play to be beatable, and frankly it's more fun if you don't try to minmax the game.

If you get stuck somewhere, then ask this thread or elsewhere for help.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Brannock posted:

You're falling victim to the RPG Player Overoptimization Problem

This describes me 100% accurately

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

OzFactor posted:

My Black Mage / Mystic Knight / Bard team is having a real problem with the second form of Archaeoaevis: I can't keep up with just potions when it can bring the whole party to under 10 hp any time it wants, I can't do anything to stop getting confused (apparently hitting my own guys with elemental damage doesn't turn them back?), and I just can't do enough physical damage with anyone. If I use one of the level 2 spellblade spells (i.e. poison or sleep), my damage should be non-elemental, right? Should I be doing more than ~200 per shot with my Mystic Knights? Maybe I just need some levels (all four are in the 17 range).

If I remember correctly you should be able to use lightning spells from both your mage(s) and mystic knight(s) for quite awhile against Arch before he starts absorbing them - once he does, you should safely be able to switch to ice damage for the rest of the battle. His elemental strength shifts throughout the battle and I THINK it's in a specific order that absorbs lightning last and ice first (or second).

At the very least, if he's using Maelstrom you're at the last bit of the fight, so you're really close if nothing else and a level or two could help push you over the edge.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Poque posted:

If I remember correctly you should be able to use lightning spells from both your mage(s) and mystic knight(s) for quite awhile against Arch before he starts absorbing them - once he does, you should safely be able to switch to ice damage for the rest of the battle. His elemental strength shifts throughout the battle and I THINK it's in a specific order that absorbs lightning last and ice first (or second).

Yeah, Archaeoavis absorbs lightning in phase 4 and is immune to all elements (that you'd have access to) in phase 5.

And yes, you just need to go all out on the rear end in a top hat. One Mystic Knight should have the Ancient Sword and your Bard should have the Main Gauche from Karnak and just go hard. Use your Black Mage as a healer since they'll be effectively useless in the last phase.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Can someone clarify how exactly the RoM patches work? I'm probably going to install a GBA emulator on my phone for this and would like to actually play with the patched up versions if they're needed for #chaos mode to work.

Just a note - I very much doubt RK will come up with a mode where it is necessary to run a patch without somehow linking to said patch. Not saying you shouldn't just that it shouldn't be "necessary."

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Is there anywhere I can grind out a handful of hi-potions, or am I just stuck with healing 50 hp at a time? If that's all I can get I'd better have two people on healing duty. And does regen from my bard's song heal by percentage or is there any way to make it better (e.g. have my Black Mage sing it with a higher Magic score)?

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

OzFactor posted:

Is there anywhere I can grind out a handful of hi-potions, or am I just stuck with healing 50 hp at a time? If that's all I can get I'd better have two people on healing duty. And does regen from my bard's song heal by percentage or is there any way to make it better (e.g. have my Black Mage sing it with a higher Magic score)?

Well, the stupidly expensive option is to buy some Flame Rings from Istory and use Fira(sword) for healing.

Sadly, the only farmable hi-potions in world 1 are steals. At least once you get into world 2, you'll have hi-pots and Drain(sword) to help alleviate the lack of healing.

I think the Regen is either percentage-based or based on your vitality, or whatever it's called in the version you're playing.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
Vitality*Level/16 :eng101:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

khy posted:

Fiesta runs are great if you're the kind of player who gets decision paralysis when it comes to trying to figure out which jobs you need to level up and when because it effectively takes the decision out of your hands. Just sign up for a normal run and if you get stuck somewhere, either ask here in the thread or in #ffvfiesta on synirc.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

W.T. Fits posted:

Fiesta runs are great if you're the kind of player who gets decision paralysis when it comes to trying to figure out which jobs you need to level up and when because it effectively takes the decision out of your hands. Just sign up for a normal run and if you get stuck somewhere, either ask here in the thread or in #ffvfiesta on synirc.

I'm still debating whether or not it's worth the effort to sign up for a twitter account in lieu of just jumping straight in to playing.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Ugato posted:

Just a note - I very much doubt RK will come up with a mode where it is necessary to run a patch without somehow linking to said patch. Not saying you shouldn't just that it shouldn't be "necessary."

I still don't think he'd even have a mode that would require a patch without telling people beforehand that it would require one. I'm playing with a GBA + Cart, and if I signed up for Chaos, there'd be no way I could play on my preferred system.

kick_the_penguin
Jul 8, 2012
I think I'll give this a shot, what system should I get this for? The SNES or the GBA version? I played the iPad version up to the final boss but I never beat it and I don't have that iPad anymore.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

kick_the_penguin posted:

I think I'll give this a shot, what system should I get this for? The SNES or the GBA version? I played the iPad version up to the final boss but I never beat it and I don't have that iPad anymore.

GBA version is vastly superior to every other version.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

khy posted:

I'm still debating whether or not it's worth the effort to sign up for a twitter account in lieu of just jumping straight in to playing.
I signed up a throwaway twitter account yesterday, took like 30 seconds.

Join us.

VietTam
Jul 17, 2008

Eat it, nerd!

Capsaicin posted:

I still don't think he'd even have a mode that would require a patch without telling people beforehand that it would require one. I'm playing with a GBA + Cart, and if I signed up for Chaos, there'd be no way I could play on my preferred system.

Yeah, a lot of people don't like emulating. And the most accessible version, which is ios/android, is unmoddable. There's absolutely no threat of a required mod.

Oh, and that mod is only for one version, which is extra alienating.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I am new to this and I never get further than Ramuh in FFV before I forget I'm playing it and pick it up 6 months later forgetting my progress. I probably want to do a normal run with bersekrers it seems like. But does it matter whether I play SNES or GBA? (ed: It looks like people said GBA while I wrote this and went afk).

Also, how many people just end up using frameskip to overlevel to make things easy?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

nuru posted:

Also, how many people just end up using frameskip to overlevel to make things easy?

Most people actually use frameskip to skip past :words: and running from randoms to get to the important bits (bosses). :v:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

nuru posted:

But does it matter whether I play SNES or GBA?

It doesn't really matter a drat bit. The GBA has the best combination of a decent translation and graphics that aren't eye searing, which is why everyone swears by it, but play the PSX version for all anyone cares.

Skanker
Mar 21, 2013

nuru posted:

There's so many people around here that know the game in-and-out and so much information available that it's faster to shoot a question than it is to grind. But sometimes a bad team is just a bad team and you need to squeeze some in.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero

nuru posted:

I am new to this and I never get further than Ramuh in FFV before I forget I'm playing it and pick it up 6 months later forgetting my progress. I probably want to do a normal run with bersekrers it seems like. But does it matter whether I play SNES or GBA? (ed: It looks like people said GBA while I wrote this and went afk).

I found that trying to get Fire Rings (and later) Reflect Rings early on leaves me a tad overleveled, at least until the Rift. Frameskip really cuts down on the tedium of doing those.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Hopefully gonna beat Neo this time: http://www.twitch.tv/mega64_

e: Got it on the second try. Go figure that a couple more levels for Almagest and switching my strategy to "Heal/play conservatively vs. Tree-Death and then Odin/Jump and Aim Grand Cross/Spam Zenigage on rest" would work wonders, with my beefy Samurai on Dualcast duties rezzing my other two after Almagest. Grand Cross was a pain, but I made it through well enough.

Party: Samurai/Ranger/Red Mage/Dragoon. Samurai is awesome with Zenigage, Iainuki (which I used on most random encounters until I got enough people with Rapidfire), and its evasion and tankiness. Ranger is awesome with Animals (my main source of healing for most of the game) and Rapidfire. Dragoon's alright too I guess, Jump is pretty nice and it's alright for Rapidfire. Red Mage pretty much needs another class with better magic than it to be useful, even if it can't dualcast that job's spells. Bard or Geomancer makes Dualcast more useful.

Anyway, think I'm done fiesta-ing until it starts proper, but I've got another crazy FF5 idea I've been toying with so I might play with that in the meantime.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 1, 2015

VietTam
Jul 17, 2008

Eat it, nerd!

KataraniSword posted:

It doesn't really matter a drat bit. The GBA has the best combination of a decent translation and graphics that aren't eye searing, which is why everyone swears by it, but play the PSX version for all anyone cares.

it's not really the translation that causes people to choose gba over snes or psx. It's all the quality of life improvements. Auto-run to speed up moving through dungeons/towns. the L and R buttons to let you switch between characters when changing equipment. Quicksaving (or savestates) are useful too.

That said, there are valid reasons to play the snes version. Mostly two glitches that were fixed in later ports. Skipping the pyramid and underflowing a berserker's magic.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

KataraniSword posted:

, but play the PSX version for all anyone cares.
no, don't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

• Locked thread