Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

One day I hope I have enough autism to write a lengthy diatribe about a game I've never played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Deltasquid posted:

There's a pdf floating around with some bullet points on why DW is a bad game. I stopped reading when the 2nd or 3rd point stated that there was no initiative order so all fights devolved into the PC's standing around the enemies in a circle and taking their turns whacking it to death.

Basically written by someone who has never played DW before.

Sounds like the same sort of trolling that happens to 4e D&D

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

It is kind of priceless when someone claims to have superior intelligence while simultaneously missing the point of a very simple system that's supposedly for stupid people.

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 30, 2015

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
My favorite complaint in that thing is "It's just trying to make itself look like D&D"

Well, no poo poo, my eyes have been opened.

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007

unseenlibrarian posted:

My favorite complaint in that thing is "It's just trying to make itself look like D&D"

Well, no poo poo, my eyes have been opened.

yeah, it is no secret that DW is designed to mimic OD&D, hence all the antiquated stats. Sage and Adam made it quite clear that was their intent.

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.
So, I did the whole "make a back story with Microscope" schtick last week, and we ended up with some sci-fi/fantasy rigmarole with martians, genetic engineering, robots, psychic powers, etc. The original idea was Microscope -> Dungeon World, but base DW doesn't quite fit obviously. What do ya'll think about Adventures on Dungeon Planet? It seems like a good thematic fit for what we want, but I've not seen too much about it. Are there any other good sci-fi supplements that would make prep easier/give me some ideas?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Dairy Power posted:

So, I did the whole "make a back story with Microscope" schtick last week, and we ended up with some sci-fi/fantasy rigmarole with martians, genetic engineering, robots, psychic powers, etc. The original idea was Microscope -> Dungeon World, but base DW doesn't quite fit obviously. What do ya'll think about Adventures on Dungeon Planet? It seems like a good thematic fit for what we want, but I've not seen too much about it. Are there any other good sci-fi supplements that would make prep easier/give me some ideas?

Been awhile since I read it, but afaik aodp playbooks are like 99% compatible with dw.

You could totally mix and match.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Error 404 posted:

Been awhile since I read it, but afaik aodp playbooks are like 99% compatible with dw.

You could totally mix and match.

The AoDP classes are pretty much fully compatible with the core classes. In fact, 3/4 of the classes are basically just heavily reskinned core classes. (The Earthling is the Paladin, the Technician is a Wizard with a different flavor to it's Vancian casting, and the Robot is at least half Fighter by weight. The Mutant draws from the same vague inspiration as the Druid, but it's not a straight lift like a lot of the other classes are.)

Dairy Power
Jul 23, 2013

He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe.
Yup thanks guys. I grabbed Dungeon Planet and some of my characters went ahead and chose classes. We have a Bard, a Barbarian and an Engine of Destruction with two more undecided so far.

I'm a little worried about the 4 innate AC the EoD is planning to start with (especially compared to the Barbarians 1 innate since I know he'll go no armor), but I guess I'll see how things go.

RSIxidor
Jun 19, 2012

Folks who can't handle a self-reference paradox are real suckers.

Dairy Power posted:

Yup thanks guys. I grabbed Dungeon Planet and some of my characters went ahead and chose classes. We have a Bard, a Barbarian and an Engine of Destruction with two more undecided so far.

I'm a little worried about the 4 innate AC the EoD is planning to start with (especially compared to the Barbarians 1 innate since I know he'll go no armor), but I guess I'll see how things go.

I once ran a full fantasy game with a player running Engine of Destruction (IIRC the rest of the party was a Fey, a Mage, and a Witch). It does work but there are some crazy moves it gets. Be prepared for some very fun insanity.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Hooray, our second playbook is out: The Slasher

This one's had a lot of balancing work done to it since the google doc version I posted here a while back.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Blasphemeral posted:

Hi everybody!

I'm a bit behind in the thread, but I got a Google Docs request to view an outdated version of The Gallant playbook in the last couple days. I wanted to be sure the link in the OP is the right one and has the right permissions... Is the link in the OP working for everybody?

If not, it can be replaced by this slightly different (but should be equivalent) one: The Gallant

Thanks! And sorry for any inconvenience.

[edit]
vvvvv Thanks!

I think that was me, actually! I had bookmarked somebody's list of favorite playbooks in this thread and didn't think to check if the links were current or not, I ended up using the new one just fine.

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012

Deltasquid posted:

There's a pdf floating around with some bullet points on why DW is a bad game. I stopped reading when the 2nd or 3rd point stated that there was no initiative order so all fights devolved into the PC's standing around the enemies in a circle and taking their turns whacking it to death.

Basically written by someone who has never played DW before.

It's been a bit, but I've actually run into that exact problem- not just hearing it from people, but experiencing it firsthand- specifically when the DM or enough of the players are too used to D&D. The gear shift from number of attacks per round to freeform creative combat hits some people pretty hard, especially when there's the Hack & Slash move sitting right there, looking like a normal D&D-style attack and tempting you. It doesn't help that the 7-9 and 10+ options talk about damage, but don't mention narrative effects to go along with it.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Yeah, I'm glad my group basically all heard about D&D but never played it before. So when we played DW we were like: "Dude can I like, roundhouse kick this fool through the window?" "Sure, but he's got a dagger, so it'll get messy even if you succeed mechanically!" "Do I look like I care??"

like really, DW evening means beer and snacks and bro-fists all around because we just threw a kobold down a mine shaft with explosives strapped to its waist so it blows up the troll hiding down the mine.

Teonis
Jul 5, 2007

Deltasquid posted:

Yeah, I'm glad my group basically all heard about D&D but never played it before. So when we played DW we were like: "Dude can I like, roundhouse kick this fool through the window?" "Sure, but he's got a dagger, so it'll get messy even if you succeed mechanically!" "Do I look like I care??"

like really, DW evening means beer and snacks and bro-fists all around because we just threw a kobold down a mine shaft with explosives strapped to its waist so it blows up the troll hiding down the mine.

Your players sound great. I want to run a live game,but I only ever have time for PbP.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I'm gonna be starting an irl game for my wife and 2 friends.
Wife played dnd, probably 3.something forever ago
Friend 1, has never played any rpg
Friend 2, played some warhams back in the day.

I am fuckin hype.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Teonis posted:

Your players sound great. I want to run a live game,but I only ever have time for PbP.

University life is great. Two players I didn't even know until I randomly invited them to play elfgames with me and a friend from high school. One of them seemed like a nerd to me (and I was right on the mark) so I asked him out of the blue and his reaction was along the lines of "Wow, okay, always wanted to try a tabletop RPG. What's your name again?" The second player I asked after I stopped by his dorm on our way to lunch. He had a flag of Wales in his room, and when I asked him about it, he admitted it was just 'cause dragons are cool and he's into fantasy. And that's how my group got together in our first year of uni. No nonsense, no "that guy" in the group. Just taking some time every Thursday evening to unwind and suplex orcs.

EDIT: I'm the storygamer grogs fear. It's me.

Drop Database
Feb 13, 2012
Inspired by the many awesome playbooks quoted and created in this thread, I've started working on one myself.
The Master

The idea here is to model the way various martial arts masters are portrayed. They're super-powerful, but for various reasons, they hide their power, either by secrecy and deception, or, sometimes, by outrageous behaviour. I'm looking to let someone play Yoda, or Shampoo/Happosai from Ranma1/2, or Pai Mei from Kill Bill, or Master Roshi from Dragonball, or even Hiko from Kenshin, or virtually anyone in Kung-fu Hustle, complete with that "oh shiiit" moment when they unleash their full power for a critical asskicking.

So far, not all the moves are written, and I'm missing some sections, but I'm looking for some feedback on the meat-and-potato moves, and they're all in there.
Could I get some of you wise and cool people to have a read and tell me what I've missed?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I'm going to try and join a DW game soon, but I wanna play support... I don't know what playbook or whatever is best for that however! Help me DW Thread, you're my only hope :v:

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

KittyEmpress posted:

I'm going to try and join a DW game soon, but I wanna play support... I don't know what playbook or whatever is best for that however! Help me DW Thread, you're my only hope :v:

How do you support? Having the right thing? Rooting for people? Always having a plan?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Golden Bee posted:

How do you support? Having the right thing? Rooting for people? Always having a plan?

Punching dudes so they don't hassle your friends?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

KittyEmpress posted:

Depends on how you want to support them. Dungeon World's core classes: the Wizard is like a swiss army knife with his spells. The Bard lets you buff and debuff with songs, and you can literally hurt enemies by playing loud music at them, how awesome is that? The cleric is usually the designated healer, and you also get a bunch of divine spells (which are different from the wizard's arcane spells because ~D&D legacy~). I guess the Rogue might count, too, if you like using poison and disarming traps.

As for custom playbooks: The Mage is like the wizard but free-form (instead of a list of spells you can do whatever you think of within certain restrictions, the most important one being that you can't solve a problem on your own, your magic needs to HELP solve a problem) and some of the inverse world playbooks are also quite support oriented. The Collector is like a more mundane wizard, the Lantern can be built as a wise, sage know-it-all...

Dungeon World doesn't really have roles or classes hardcoded into it. I've played a tank musclewizard before. It might be more useful to give us an idea of what you're specifically trying to go for flavor wise and we can recommend a playbook based on that.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I'm actually not going to be playing support, because apparently one person is making a cleric, one is making a bard, and someone is making a Mage. So instead I'm building a battle princess, getting signature weapons and pan fu and stuff. Because that sounds more fun fluff wise than just going fighter or one of the other 'hurt things' playbooks.

:v:

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012
With a fairly straight playing of The Initiate, I've made a vampire-hunting monk with pile bunker/stake tonfa. It's nice to be able to make something interesting and new without having to actually rewrite any of the class text or replace starting moves.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Handgun Phonics posted:

With a fairly straight playing of The Initiate, I've made a vampire-hunting monk with pile bunker/stake tonfa. It's nice to be able to make something interesting and new without having to actually rewrite any of the class text or replace starting moves.

Awesome isn't it?

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Handgun Phonics posted:

Error 404 posted:

Awesome isn't it?

Yeah, the Initiate is amazing. It can deal mad damage, and it still gives you all kinds of fun things too do that isn't doing damage. Awesome playbook. Does anyone know if its' writer did any other playbooks?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Arashiofordo3 posted:

Yeah, the Initiate is amazing. It can deal mad damage, and it still gives you all kinds of fun things too do that isn't doing damage. Awesome playbook. Does anyone know if its' writer did any other playbooks?

Afaik, Mikan wrote it.
She also helped write Inverse World.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Error 404 posted:

Afaik, Mikan wrote it.

Huh, no wonder I like that book.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Error 404 posted:

Afaik, Mikan wrote it.

Actually it was written by Mors Rattus. Mikan and gnome7's company is just who published it for him.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Actually it was written by Mors Rattus. Mikan and gnome7's company is just who published it for him.

huh, cool.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Lurks With Wolves posted:

I did a play by post with them a while back. They seemed pretty cool. Its always nice to find out a thing you like has a connection to someone you've rp'd with on this forum. :)

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012

Error 404 posted:

Awesome isn't it?

It's pretty cool, though the new version still has a couple weird issues. Mostly "+2 piercing as a style choice, but at level 2 you can get You Are Already Dead which ignores armor with no explicit downsides."

Handgun Phonics fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jun 8, 2015

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Handgun Phonics posted:

It's pretty cool, though the new version still has a couple weird issues. Mostly "+2 piercing as a style choice, but at level 2 you can get You Are Already Dead which ignores armor with no explicit downsides."

Unless the Initiate reworded it from The Survivor, You're Already Dead doesn't ignore armor. When you deal damage, you record how much you dealt - at that point, armor is applied to your attack as normal. You don't record what you rolled, you write down the final damage total, after all your bonuses and penalties to damage, including their armor.

You ignore armor when you deal the damage later because otherwise armor would count twice.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
Anyone have any experience with / suggestions or tips for rolling with Dungeon World if you've got a really small party (e.g. GM + two players)? Such a game sort of spontaneously blossomed and was fun, if a bit dizzying.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

GaistHeidegger posted:

Anyone have any experience with / suggestions or tips for rolling with Dungeon World if you've got a really small party (e.g. GM + two players)? Such a game sort of spontaneously blossomed and was fun, if a bit dizzying.

Run it like normal.
But trend toward challenges that highlight the classes your players chose. Sort of the opposite of the 'show the downside of their class' gm move (but do that too, where appropriate)

I ran a game recently that ended up just being Assassin, Artificer. It ended up being a sort of criminals as buddy cop movie kind of thing.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I've revisited my Maestro class after a long hiatus and as always I'm looking for feedback as I go along. I've added the Read you like a book and Tampering advanced moves and I'm trying to figure out if they're worded correctly, and if Tampering is too powerful/freeform? Those moves are largely inspired by Rohan Kishibe's abilities (from Jojo, natch). The idea is that the artist can magically "open" a person's face and read the contents like a book, and discovering stuff like their past, personality traits, their thoughts and ideas, etc. With tampering, he can start messing around with the contents of a person's... mind, or soul, I guess? I'm unsure if these would be more interesting if some roll were required.

Additionally I'm trying to figure out more advanced moves for a playbook based around the best god drat artist who ever lived. If you've got a Maestro in your group, it should feel like traveling with Da Vinci, Dali, Mozart or Kubrick. Most of my advanced moves right now just add to the three starting moves, which isn't BAD per se, but I'd like to sprinkle in a few things that make the player go "Wow, this is cool! I want this!" to look forward to.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

Error 404 posted:

Run it like normal.
But trend toward challenges that highlight the classes your players chose. Sort of the opposite of the 'show the downside of their class' gm move (but do that too, where appropriate)

I ran a game recently that ended up just being Assassin, Artificer. It ended up being a sort of criminals as buddy cop movie kind of thing.

Right on--I am pretty stoked with how it turned out all-told, two players who had never played DW before and I've still been working on getting more saddle time / chops with the thing. They picked The Dashing Hero and The Outlander for their playbooks and sort of hit the ground running with an ongoing rivalry of one-upsmanship of brawny mighty thews and feats of incredible machismo versus suave agile finesse and daring acrobatics.

Before we knew it, within a short start of playing wholly impromptu the two of them were crossing paths in a seaside desert trading city where a mysterious tower to a cult of Set a la Conan had recently come to be. The Outlander roped the Dashing Hero into accompanying him on a daring infiltration in pursuit of The Eye of Set, an incredibly valuable ruby. Some rope gallivanting led them to a hookah den a few floors up, where the pair donned disguises and the Outlander scored some 'seriously potent Stygian blackroot' which he quickly imbibed to get a fervor going for the remainder of their derring-do.

A big highlight I think was when they came upon a side chamber with a smaller altar where several cultists were going through the motions of, essentially, rehearsing for a soon-to-transpire sacrifice; without skipping a beat the Dashing Hero launched into a cunning charade to convince the cultists the to-be-sacrificed individual would not be suitable--declaring that said individual was no less than a prior fling of his via the Lover in Every Port move. Helpfully, the dice made it a less than amenable relationship and we were seriously off to the races.

Lots of madcap rope wrangling, very Messy bare-handed and greatsword barbarianisms, scaling a giant brass statue of a serpent to ascend into the great sacrifice chamber of its open maw overlooking the city. For the climax, the Outlander essentially ended up in a rolling fiction where every time we cut back to him the pile of cultists was growing ever larger as he kept plowing his way through holding the stairs into the chamber, while the Dashing Hero confronted the wicked high priest of the cult.

As is proper, the high priest of Set turned into a giant horrible snakeman monster which tangled with the Dashing Hero, who ended up swinging around on a big hanging brazier of flames and hot coals as more and more supports to its chain in the ceiling were worked free. He managed to bait the high priest into essentially getting the chain wrapped like a noose before riding the brazier out of the mouth of the serpent statue--the momentum and weight tearing the giant snakeman out and hanging him dead before the giant bronze statue in full view of many gawkers in the streets below.

All the while, the Outlander and the Dashing Hero kept vying for who could better impress their recently rescued companion, who turned effectively into a hireling of sorts once freed and was very much Marion Ravenwood throughout, helping guide the two knuckleheads along and evading the ever growing number of cultists vying to end them. For the final end, faced with overwhelming odds as a particularly big and frightening looking cultist came up to challenge the Outlander--the three of them leap off into the central spire of the tower, buffeting their fall on the way down with hanging tapestries and awnings until landing into the big garden fountain at the public den at the bottom of the tower as the local guard arrived on the scene--quickly making an exit in the chaos together.

I think it went really well and both said they had a great time with it; I was expecting it to be seriously hit or miss, as they're typically into much much crunchier games (3rd edition Shadowrun, 3rd edition D&D, etc.)

A few things I would appreciate some clarification / suggestions on:
-If someone uses Adventuring Gear to produce a rope with a grappling hook to go climbing around, what happens with it beyond that particular use; do they then have a rope and grappling hook they can just keep carrying around and re-using, do they need to keep expending uses of adventuring gear, what's the score? The Outlander was inclined to just write down 'rope and grappling hook' on his sheet after the use (at least until in-fiction he ended up loosing it when a wild rappelling cultist fought him in running criss-crossing rope battles on the side of the bronze statue over spiked parapets.)

-The Outlander (Barbarian)'s playbook has a lot hinging on the appetites and whatnot, wherein he can roll a d8 instead of a d6 for one of his dice as long as he's pursuing his appetite (Which he chose conquest, for instance)--but he was unclear on when it was or wasn't appropriate to use it and questioned a few times when he ought to be engaging it. It was a bit unclear on how to really determine basically 'well isn't everything he's going in service of glory and conquest and personal fame?" etc.

-The two of them really loved throwing weapons around at every opportunity, from pinning a cultist with a greatsword hurled end over end to hucking scimitars as quickly as the Dashing Hero could pluck them from sashes. Were we right in taking these as Volley moves sans the 'expend ammo' option?

-How should we handle bonds with only two people in the party?

I'm also still getting a feel for when it's appropriate to just roll damage, to call for hack and slash and to call for defy danger; a majority of the time, I found that we were leaning into defy danger for most circumstances (From rapidly ascending a rope while being hounded by armed guards, trying to run past someone to a closing door, etc.) Where it really has me tripped up though is circumstances where a character is trying to attack / intervene or intercept an NPC or monster that isn't necessarily 'fighting back' directly.

For example:

While the two were fighting cultists, another cultist started running to go get more guards. If one of the characters breaks to run after them and stop them, but is also describing harm (e.g. I try to catch him and smash his head into the wall) is this Defy Danger + dex to catch up, is this a roundabout Hack and Slash because you're trying to hurt the guy (leaning more toward defy danger) or what? With only two people, I was also finding a lot of times where they kept pretty plainly distracting opponents for each other, so generally I was just having the other deal damage more or less unchallenged, but it felt a bit hazy still.

On the other hand, at one point the Outlander walked up to two guards chatting while disguised as a guard and declared abruptly that he wanted to conk their heads together and knock them out, so I just rolled with it and had it happen without die rolls since that felt appropriate.

Still just trying to make sure I've got the right approach to things, but I appreciate anyone taking the time to read and chime in. Many thanks!

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Doingitright.txt

Adventuring gear is exactly that, you spend a use, you have the thing until you don't.

Volley w/thrown weapons. You did it right.

Bonds - the whole point of them besides xp is to connect the party, your players are doing that already. I say ignore bonds, and either do without that single xp per session, or give them both a freebie xp per session.

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012

gnome7 posted:

Unless the Initiate reworded it from The Survivor, You're Already Dead doesn't ignore armor. When you deal damage, you record how much you dealt - at that point, armor is applied to your attack as normal. You don't record what you rolled, you write down the final damage total, after all your bonuses and penalties to damage, including their armor.

You ignore armor when you deal the damage later because otherwise armor would count twice.

It does reword it from Survivor, actually:

The Initiate posted:

When you deal damage, you may choose not to roll damage and instead hold 1-Chi. You can spend all held Chi at any time to deal your damage (ignoring armor) to one enemy you gained Chi from. You can discard held Chi at any time, should you choose to spare them.

Also Survivor doesn't say anything about recording the amount of damage done, unless that was a post-release change:

The Survivor posted:

When you would deal your damage, you may choose not to roll damage and instead gain 1-Fate. You can spend all held Fate at any time to deal your damage that many times to one enemy you gained Fate from, dealing the total damage as a single hit. You can discard held Fate at any time, should you choose to spare them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

KittyEmpress posted:

I'm actually not going to be playing support, because apparently one person is making a cleric, one is making a bard, and someone is making a Mage. So instead I'm building a battle princess, getting signature weapons and pan fu and stuff. Because that sounds more fun fluff wise than just going fighter or one of the other 'hurt things' playbooks.

:v:

Well, let me know how it goes for you. Always good to get feedback.