Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Zero
Sep 23, 2009
Again not saying you are this gentleman.

This guy after about ten minutes of conversation became clear he was a redditard atheist who wanted to join because he thought this was a one way ticket to the nwod and this would solve all his basement dwelling issues.

I wont go into details because I worry about the man. And while we denied his petition I still stay in contact with him hoping to help him become a better man whom can become a mason or at least a better human being.

I again do not say you are him it just brought up this situation in my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Grand Lodge has seen fit to grant dispensation to my Lodge to meet only quarterly now, rather than monthly, and are apparently considering revoking our Charter. We are one of the strongest lodges in the region financially and in terms of new brethren. It boggles the mind.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

That should be enough to get you to the next Grand Lodge which will reverse the previous Grand Lodge, right? At least that is how I'm used to Grand Lodge politics happening.

I mean it sounds like it has to be some personal petty bullshit that won't survive someone's term ending.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
That depends on who comes in and if they give a poo poo. It may actually be the GM himself keeping us alive - our WM is now on his 4th term which requires the GM himself to grant dispensation, so he knows our circumstance. Real pain in the rear end since we have a 3rd Degree in a week and have to do it at a temple where half our officers have never been.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I feel like I'm never going to get all this memorized

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Beerdeer posted:

I feel like I'm never going to get all this memorized

The first one is the hardest. You can do it!

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

I'm interested in Freemasonry and possibly joining a lodge here in CO. I've emailed one but haven't heard back yet. Should I email again?

Also, I am probably moving out of state next year, should I even bother starting the process now or should I just wait until I move?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

TheManWithNoName posted:

I'm interested in Freemasonry and possibly joining a lodge here in CO. I've emailed one but haven't heard back yet. Should I email again?

Also, I am probably moving out of state next year, should I even bother starting the process now or should I just wait until I move?

Joining the Freemasons is like having children, you can start young or wait years. Go with what feels natural to yourself and enjoy the years that you have. Waiting to join gives you the wisdom to understand things better, joining young could accelerate your wisdom gained over the years. There is no correct answer but to trust your gut.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Keetron posted:

Joining the Freemasons is like having children, you can start young or wait years. Go with what feels natural to yourself and enjoy the years that you have. Waiting to join gives you the wisdom to understand things better, joining young could accelerate your wisdom gained over the years. There is no correct answer but to trust your gut.

I guess I'm asking for more logistical reasons. Is it easy to "transfer" lodges if I end up progressing that far, or is it better to just start after I settle in my new state?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

TheManWithNoName posted:

I guess I'm asking for more logistical reasons. Is it easy to "transfer" lodges if I end up progressing that far, or is it better to just start after I settle in my new state?

The initial progression through the 3 degrees takes a while (or should, at least). I would join a lodge that you know you can stay at for ~a year. Once you're a Master Mason, it's fairly easy to join other lodges.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I just got a VERY bitter email from my sponsor that makes me wonder if I should stay with my lodge. :smith:

He really points out how my lodge doesn''t actually seem to do anything but bring people in and do degree work, while the other local lodges actually do brotherhood stuff together. It's very disheartening. I may switch lodges myself if I ever get elevated to MM.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

What's stopping him or you from setting up some brotherhood stuff through the lodge?

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
For him, likely the bitterness. For me, the newness.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma
It only takes one person with a bad attitude to ruin a lodge for everyone.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Lovable Luciferian posted:

It only takes one person with a bad attitude to ruin a lodge for everyone.

This can't be echoed enough.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
You will only get out of your lodge what you put into it. I am one of the newer and youngest brothers in my lodge. I wanted to do more social stuff so I got put in charge of the brand new social committee they made for me. If you want to do more then do more, it really is that easy.

AllPraiseToAllah
Oct 30, 2014
I've been trying to talk my wife into letting me petition but she's convinced you guys worship the devil/would try to murder me If I ever wanted out.

Still working on her.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

AllPraiseToAllah posted:

I've been trying to talk my wife into letting me petition but she's convinced you guys worship the devil/would try to murder me If I ever wanted out.

Still working on her.

I'm sure a few of us worship the devil. Maybe not in this thread, but somewhere.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

AllPraiseToAllah posted:

Still working on her.

A guy in my lodge literally quit the day after he was elected master, and he lives and breathes!

AllPraiseToAllah
Oct 30, 2014

Kilo147 posted:

I'm sure a few of us worship the devil. Maybe not in this thread, but somewhere.

She's pretty sure the freemasons are a cover for the knights templars who are the ones who really worship baal/sell drugs/ have sex with children.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma

AllPraiseToAllah posted:

She's pretty sure the freemasons are a cover for the knights templars who are the ones who really worship baal/sell drugs/ have sex with children.

All of that would be too much to deal with on top of our monthly spaghetti dinners.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

AllPraiseToAllah posted:

As both a Freemason and Knight Templar, I can assure you that it's way more boring that that.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

AllPraiseToAllah posted:

She seems cool.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Sure, drugs/sex/magic; but where's the BROTHERHOOD?

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

AllPraiseToAllah posted:

Our secret is out! With haste brothers! Assemble at the you-know-where!

Edit: Don't forget to bring you-know-who and the you-know-what!

INTJ Mastermind fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jun 15, 2015

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice

AllPraiseToAllah posted:

Still working on her.

Most freemason groups are full of 50-to-90-year old men. I really don't think their pacemakers could handle the shock from anything resembling what these conspiracy theories describe.

Maybe you could compromise by joining an appendent body instead of freemasonry proper (OES has White Shrine; are there equivalents for men's masonry?) and ease her into eventually coming around to freemasonry, although she sounds like she's done a lot of Internet conspiracy theory research...

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

AllPraiseToAllah posted:

Still working on her.

Give her a copy of One Man's Journey to the Temple. Great read written by a non-mason masonic scholar (who is now a Freemason himself), and quite persuasive.

I'm off to go do a third degree in a temple I've never worked at, having had no rehearsal, as an office I've never done. This can only end well!

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

We hosed up real bad, that the conspiracy theories about us are the common public perception. If any of you make grand master, can you make it a priority to make steps toward fixing that?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
That third degree actually went well, except at the last minute we switched out two people to very negative effect.

Oh, also I got invested as JD.

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice

Emron posted:

We hosed up real bad, that the conspiracy theories about us are the common public perception. If any of you make grand master, can you make it a priority to make steps toward fixing that?

Also, can you change the rules so women can wear pants at OES? :(

It's really strange to me because freemasonry doesn't have traits that would destabilize healthy people in healthy relationships. They're full of octogenarians and people who enjoy said company. I've really enjoyed the people I've met through OES, but it's not something I could imagine someone joining and then suddenly they're driving home puking drunk every night at 3am after their retiree potluck and calling in sick to work the next day.

legsarerequired fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jun 15, 2015

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

AllPraiseToAllah posted:

Still working on her.
You do realize we can't teach you how to make meth, right?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
It'd spice up the spaghetti dinners if we could.

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice
Imagine mixing those shrooms with some spaghetti sauce.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
...well now that is a hell of a post history.

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

legsarerequired posted:

Imagine mixing those shrooms with some spaghetti sauce.

Isn't the worshipful master was supposed to eat amanita muscaria and, like a Siberian shaman, filter out the toxins for us. Or is that the stewards? I get confused. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amanita_muscaria#Siberia

AllPraiseToAllah
Oct 30, 2014

Sub Rosa posted:

You do realize we can't teach you how to make meth, right?

Honestly if you guys arnt worshiping baal/trying to take over the world dont really see the point in joining.

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

AllPraiseToAllah posted:

Honestly if you guys arnt worshiping baal/trying to take over the world dont really see the point in joining.

We just lecture about Ba'al. I have to stifle a laugh whenever the the lecturer says "... Ba'al's deep ..."

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Loomer posted:

Give her a copy of One Man's Journey to the Temple. Great read written by a non-mason masonic scholar (who is now a Freemason himself), and quite persuasive.

Who's the author? I'm not finding that book using Google or on Amazon.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Zeno-25 posted:

Who's the author? I'm not finding that book using Google or on Amazon.

I was curious myself and looked it up. Closest thing I could find was "A Pilgrim's Path: One Man's Journey to the Masonic Temple".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
A Pilgrim's Path is probably the one in question. The author was not a Mason at the original time of writing but eventually became one due to Satan something something.