Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

TollTheHounds posted:

So I guess no one is going to lament the lack of any news of a Nexus 2015? Or did I miss that in I/O somehow?

I'm reaching the point where I might actually pull the trigger on a new phone but I kind of want to wait to see what the deal is gonna be this fall, even some sort of inkling of the device.

I/O isn't where they announce new nexus phones. Expect an unveiling in October for that. It's more about development, so it's more about software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
At most a Nexus tablet would've been announced but we would've had rumors leading up to the event if that were the case. Expect the next Nexus phone to be announced in late October, with plenty of rumors in between.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

TollTheHounds posted:

So I guess no one is going to lament the lack of any news of a Nexus 2015? Or did I miss that in I/O somehow?

I'm reaching the point where I might actually pull the trigger on a new phone but I kind of want to wait to see what the deal is gonna be this fall, even some sort of inkling of the device.

I would wait for the phone that will end up being the premier M release phone. It will likely have a good fingerprint reader.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
A finger print reading, Qi charging, turbo charge capable Nexus with front facing speakers and at least as good of battery life as the 6. Dream phone.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

nerve posted:

A finger print reading, Qi charging, turbo charge capable Nexus with front facing speakers and at least as good of battery life as the 6. Dream phone.

Add in a camera as good as the S6 and I'm there.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

nerve posted:

turbo charge
Google all but confirmed that the next Nexus phone will use USB-C so charging at a decent speed shouldn't be a problem.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

nerve posted:

And USB 3(.1?)c.
They mentioned support for type C connectors during the keynote and the chrome pixel got it too.

Should be another 2 year worthy phone.
Really hoping google figures out how to do a camera this time.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
The Nexus 5 was almost perfect. Add a better camera and better battery life and I'm sold.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
It's funny how many people are bitching about the Nexus 6 camera now, when it was praised as comparable to all other top end cameras when it was released.

I'm happy with the 6 all around. USB-C, Fingerprint reader are poised to be standard on newer devices. I don't need to make it thinner, just make it more efficient and keep the battery size the same/little larger so I can get a couple more hours and I'd be all set.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I didn't mention the N6 camera specifically because it's not bad at all. Top 10 phone camera.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I haven't actually used the Nexus 6 before so maybe the camera is pretty great.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

nerve posted:

I didn't mention the N6 camera specifically because it's not bad at all. Top 10 phone camera.

Is this like the top 10 movies about arm wrestling though

7. Over the top

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Skeezy posted:

I haven't actually used the Nexus 6 before so maybe the camera is pretty great.

It's #8 on the DxOMark mobile camera rankings, with the caveat that the G3 and G4 haven't been tested which could possibly knock it down a spot or two, or not.

Still, top 10 means you don't have to worry about the camera, even if it's not absolute best of the best it should be more than adequate for 99.9% of use cases. Compare that to the HTC One M9's terrible camera which at #22 is ranked lower than 3 year old phones like the Galaxy S3.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

nerve posted:

You forgot "One True Sized (aka 2013 Moto X)".

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Thermopyle posted:

You digust me

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

nerve posted:

DemonMage posted:

It's funny how many people are bitching about the Nexus 6 camera now, when it was praised as comparable to all other top end cameras when it was released.

I'm happy with the 6 all around. USB-C, Fingerprint reader are poised to be standard on newer devices. I don't need to make it thinner, just make it more efficient and keep the battery size the same/little larger so I can get a couple more hours and I'd be all set.

Yeah the back camera is fine. The front facing camera was a total disaster.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

sirbeefalot posted:

Any idea what is causing this or how to stop it? This screenshot is obviously from Link Bubble, but it happens in Steam as well, and other browsers (can't recall if Chrome has done it or not). This happens on both my Nexus 5 and Nexus 7, which throws me for a loop by the text of the error, because the N7's network pretty much never changes. If I reload, it loads the link fine. This has been happening for a few months at least. Both are on 5.1.1 now, though this was going on from 5.0.1 or so at least. I see it something like 3-4 times a week on the phone.

I get this a lot on my N6 too, not sure what the cause is.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

For me that error happens on my Nexus 6 when the Android System Webview app is updated. Uninstalling fixes the issue immediately

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Does anyone know the model number for the Moto X 2013 dev edition? I'm seeing some sites linking to sales on what they say are dev editions, but they only have 16gb, where the dev had 32. I found one for $240, but I'm looking to see if I can get a better deal. I'm looking for a new one, because I got screwed on the battery on my last phone.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I'm looking to upgrade my ancient, dying phone with something a bit less ancient. To keep costs down I'm looking at phones from 2013-14. Any phones from this era that stand out? Any to avoid? The Nexus 5 is at the top of my list so far.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I think the Nexus 6 camera is great, and the only issues I have are with Google's lovely camera app. I use Manual Camera most of the time and it's awesome.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Does anyone know the model number for the Moto X 2013 dev edition? I'm seeing some sites linking to sales on what they say are dev editions, but they only have 16gb, where the dev had 32. I found one for $240, but I'm looking to see if I can get a better deal. I'm looking for a new one, because I got screwed on the battery on my last phone.

GSM dev edition is xt1053. Verizon model is xt1060.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Thermopyle posted:

I believe you mean Xperia Z Ultra or possibly N6 size.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
The N6 camera is serviceable. It's not terrible but it's nothing I'd call home about.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I get the impression that the cameras used in most phones these days are reasonably good, it's simply the software that hasn't kept pace and has become the bottleneck in picture quality. Is that accurate?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

isndl posted:

I get the impression that the cameras used in most phones these days are reasonably good, it's simply the software that hasn't kept pace and has become the bottleneck in picture quality. Is that accurate?

One thing is true. Google sucks at writing post processing software.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Count Roland posted:

I'm looking to upgrade my ancient, dying phone with something a bit less ancient. To keep costs down I'm looking at phones from 2013-14. Any phones from this era that stand out? Any to avoid? The Nexus 5 is at the top of my list so far.

LG G3 is going for pretty cheap right now and is only a bit more than a Nexus 5.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Eejit posted:

LG G3 is going for pretty cheap right now and is only a bit more than a Nexus 5.

Might not be worth the difference over a G2 though.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

RVProfootballer posted:

Might not be worth the difference over a G2 though.

I was looking closely at G2s also, but saw LG was ceasing support.

Speaking of which, how critical is this sort of support? Is this needed for security updates or is it more superficial?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I'd be having a hard time justifying getting a G2 at this point in time, really.

The Nexus 5 is based on the same device, and is all but confirmed to get "M" (Google certainly wouldn't go to the lengths of producing a preview build for it otherwise). Meanwhile the G2 is a completely unknown quantity.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

hotsauce posted:

One thing is true. Google sucks at writing post processing software.

On the other hand the HDR+ mode is pretty neat. It was basically the only mode I took photos with on my Nexus 5.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Yeah I hate most blown out HDR photos but HDR+ on my n6 made the photos look nicer than my note 3. They felt a bit washed out at default settings.

e.g. my hood yesterday

And I just got an ota update for 5.1.1 for people who care about such things.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Agreed, HDR is great in the Google camera software.

Is the Greenpeace boat still there? It was like a week ago with that green LED banner thing flashing SAVE THE WHALES.

vvvv I'm in Vancouver area too and got 5.1.1 on my N6 a few days ago, I'm on build LMY47Z now.

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 1, 2015

waxluthor
May 28, 2003

Reverse Centaur posted:

And I just got an ota update for 5.1.1 for people who care about such things.

Which 5.1 build were you on and did you receive LMY47Z? I have a play store N6 on LMY47D in Vancouver area as well and haven't receive anything yet. :argh:

CLAM DOWN posted:

vvvv I'm in Vancouver area too and got 5.1.1 on my N6 a few days ago, I'm on build LMY47Z now.

Thanks, sideloading time again!

waxluthor fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jun 1, 2015

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Count Roland posted:

I was looking closely at G2s also, but saw LG was ceasing support.

Speaking of which, how critical is this sort of support? Is this needed for security updates or is it more superficial?

kitten smoothie posted:

I'd be having a hard time justifying getting a G2 at this point in time, really.

The Nexus 5 is based on the same device, and is all but confirmed to get "M" (Google certainly wouldn't go to the lengths of producing a preview build for it otherwise). Meanwhile the G2 is a completely unknown quantity.

Agreed, don't count on support on the G2 past what it's on now, and I would also definitely consider a Nexus 5 here. On the other hand, the G2 is going for like $150-200, refurbished on the low end and new on the high end, and has way better battery life and a better camera than the Nexus 5. I was mostly arguing against the G3, which is still what, $300, and regressed in a lot of ways from the G2.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

RVProfootballer posted:

Agreed, don't count on support on the G2 past what it's on now, and I would also definitely consider a Nexus 5 here. On the other hand, the G2 is going for like $150-200, refurbished on the low end and new on the high end, and has way better battery life and a better camera than the Nexus 5. I was mostly arguing against the G3, which is still what, $300, and regressed in a lot of ways from the G2.

Haha what? It has an extra gig of ram, higher pixel density on a larger display, and better camera.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Build is 47Z, not sure what it was before.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Is the Greenpeace boat still there? It was like a week ago with that green LED banner thing flashing SAVE THE WHALES

Didn't see it when I took that photo. But I work on the north shore and my place faces north so I miss a lot of boat action.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Anyone know why Google Services would be draining so much battery life with all location settings turned off in my settings? My battery usually will last upwards of 16hrs before I need to connect a charger 24hrs if I don't have bluetooth enabled/paired with my watch, but today it's been off charger for about 6 hours and I am down to 29% already and Google Services is the top item with 5hr30min of keep awake time.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Don Lapre posted:

Is this like the top 10 movies about arm wrestling though

7. Over the top

You forgot Pulling John :colbert:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1289451/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Eejit posted:

Haha what? It has an extra gig of ram, higher pixel density on a larger display, and better camera.

It isn't like the G2 was lacking in RAM, to a user I'd bet 2 vs 3 GB is entirely unnoticeable. Higher pixel density is offset by weird sharpening and overall worse display in most ways except resolution. The camera is identical except for the laser autofocus, which is nice. Battery life is also quite a bit worse on the G3. The Anandtech G3 review conclusion hits most of the main points, but if you look through each section, you can see more details (spoilers: display worse than G2, battery worse than G2, performance is similar since it's a snapdragon 800 at 1080p vs. snapdragon 801 at 1440p and throttling differences, camera the same except faster capture, etc.). It's a year newer and so likely getting Android M and the camera laser autofocus is great, but otherwise, the G2 holds its own just fine, and is a ton cheaper.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 1, 2015