Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jizz Festival posted:

Yes, because the power to prevent the bad outcomes I listed is put solely in the hands of businesses. Businesses could be boycotted, I suppose, but only after they've done something bad and people have been hurt.
Peacefully allowing businesses to poison and let people die/get injured in unsafe conditions? This is pretty retarded.
Food inspectors don't come in and start breaking people's jaws, jrod. AFAIK OSHA inspectors don't do that either.

Oh my God, your arguments are terrible, they reveal your corrupt premises that deny the a priori truths about human action. Let me break it down for you real simple-like.

Observing human beings' actions is all that is required to determine their preferences, for that is the sole means by which human beings express preferences: by choosing to act. Thus, if someone buys listeria-laden ice cream and dies after eating it, we know that the company's preference was to make money selling listeria, and the customer's preference was to ingest it as a means to commit suicide.

You may not agree with the values of the people in this example, but we nevertheless must recognize that they've expressed their preference for these values through their actions, and who are you to send in men with guns to literally put barrels against everyone's heads and forbid the manufacturer from profiting from the sale of the listeria he has deliberately grown, and deny to the suicidal consumer the gross and unpleasant bacterial death he so earnestly seeks?

It's quite simply impossible to overcome the calculation problem and determine by fiat who may have inadvertently eaten tainted food and who ardently desires pant-making GBS threads death.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

jrodefeld posted:

In the first place, you read my last post without the slightest intention to comprehend what I was trying to say. I am trying to point out that the tradition of liberalism, of natural rights theory, of liberty and the sorts of argument propounded by modern libertarian thinkers is far more broad and sweeping than you are acknowledging. Liberalism, as a modern tradition, goes back at least 400 years with roots that go back even further. I am expressing the historical reality that, prior to the "Progressive Era" at the start of the 20th Century, proponents of market anarchism and liberalism articulated their views quite differently than do many modern libertarians. Being opposed to the State and in favor of markets did not equate to support for business power or corporate dominance as many in the mainstream left today would claim.

Liberalism and modern libertarianism are quite different, and you're clearly aware that they're quite different, so trying to claim that they are the same seems futile.

Today, in the world in which we live, being in favor of "free markets" does equate to support for business power and corporate dominance. It might not be the outcome that you want, but it's the outcome that you're going to get. We can point at countless historical examples that prove this. First principles don't count for anything when history proves your conclusions to be wrong time and time again.

When your postulates lead to a worldview that is proven wrong over and over, countless times, it's time to reassess your postulates, jrod!

jrodefeld posted:

:words:

The fact that you posted this article (which I did read by the way) shows me how little you understood the point I was trying to get across. The narrative the left desperately wants to promote is that libertarianism is a modern aberration that was conceived by a handful of ultra rich financiers simply because it benefited their own pocketbook. Corporations love libertarianism, so the mythology goes, and if they had their way, they would destroy the State entirely and we'd all be subjugated at the feet of a small handful of monopolists without the State to protect us.

It is this mythology that people like Chartier and his fellow left-libertarians are desperately trying to dislodge from the minds of the mainstream left.

The reality of freed markets is considerably different from what you think. As opposed to thin libertarians who more heavily rely on their articulation of first principles, and the primacy of the individual and non-aggression, left-libertarians spend a lot more time explaining the practical effects of genuinely freed markets on pollution, on the labor movement, on the environment and things of that nature.

Leftist movements would be much more successful if they ceased relying on political action and instead relied on mass movements to remove artificial privilege provided by State enforced law. In short this means dismantling the State and allowing the market to "eat the rich" and provide for social justice and equality.

Modern libertarianism is a modern aberration, the individualists of 200-400 years ago look almost nothing like the average libertarian of the present. It doesn't matter whether Chartier likes it. Modern libertarianism is a refuge of small-minded racists, misogynists, and free market fetishists.

Why is it that proponents of "genuinely freed markets", like yourself, are never actually able to articulate how problems like pollution, the environment, the labor movement, and "things of that nature" are handled better than in our current state-controlled society? Whenever a hypothetical is raised that gets to the point of any of these issues, you run and hide or offer platitudes ("I don't need to know how it would work"), just like every libertarian before you. In a hypothetical where 10 equivalent companies own land around a lake and one chooses to surreptitiously pollute it, what happens? In your society, people downstream eventually notice strange health effects, discover that the stream has been polluted, and try to futilely hold one of the ten companies responsible (which one?), and in all likelihood the company that was polluting the lake gets away with it, or at worst pays only a tenth of what they should. In our society, we try to make sure that this poo poo doesn't ever happen in the first place by imposing regulation and making sure that the consequences are severe enough that nobody would voluntarily pollute the lake. Making sure that the lake doesn't get polluted in the first place is the better outcome, and preventative measures like this can only be imposed by some sort of centralized authority.

e:

Cemetry Gator posted:

You simply do not wish to discuss reality, and any philosophy that you could bring to the table would only be us trying to have a serious discussion on how we should run a fictional world where... watermelons enjoy you plowing into them for hours on end.

:eyepop:

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jun 1, 2015

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The lake issue is easily resolved by whichever method is most convenient for the libertarian argument at the time. If I want to show how libertopia will aggressively police pollution and protect the environment, then if a single molecule of chemical waste trespasses onto my property or in my body then I and my neighbors are fully justified in marching over with our private army and using retaliatory force against any or all polluters. If I want to show how libertarianism is practical and won't outlaw the internal combustion engine and most industries, then I'll say that the people downstream expressed their preference for toxic waste by choosing to live near the factories and consume their products so they've no right to initiate force now.

In either case, this is a simple conflict of interest over which reasonable people can disagree, and I am confident my little dispute with a gigantic and supremely wealthy company will be fairly resolved in a Rube Goldberg series of competing courts and adjudicators who all have a fiduciary duty to decide in whichever way will maximize the profits to their shareholders.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jun 1, 2015

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

jrod, let's reboot the thread. How about you start by telling us why society will be better off by abolishing the state. Be specific

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

jrodefeld posted:

While I certainly appreciate the recommendations, I think you may have misunderstood what I was requesting. My argument, to put it bluntly, is that libertarian market anarchism is the best and most morally justified way of organizing society. Since you all object, I was hoping for a more targeted refutation of liberalism.
History, all of it recorded.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Did I make the watermelon loving too graphic again?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

QuarkJets posted:

jrod, let's reboot the thread. How about you start by telling us why society will be better off by abolishing the state. Be specific

It doesn't matter if it's better.

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

What is this..."society"?

HP Artsandcrafts
Oct 3, 2012

You know what, I didn't choose to be in this world... Guys, we're going to have restart the universe. It's the only way to make sure no one has been coerced into being!

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Oh hey jrod posted some more, and ignored the success of the NHS relative to the US again.

Sure is weird that jrod keeps ignoring it!

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

It's almost like jrod doesn't actually give a poo poo about the practical consequences of a libertarian society at all.

He claims things will just be better because 'well duh libertarianism is about increasing freedom how could it not be???' but when pressed about the details and processes of such a society he mostly just bemoans 'subjective values' and 'utilitarians'.

It's pretty telling that he mostly talks about philosophy and never about mechanics.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Cemetry Gator posted:

Did I make the watermelon loving too graphic again?

Not graphic enough! We need details Cemetry Gator, details!

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

HP Artsandcrafts posted:

You know what, I didn't choose to be in this world... Guys, we're going to have restart the universe. It's the only way to make sure no one has been coerced into being!

"Did I request thee, Maker, from my Clay
To mould me Man, did I sollicite thee
From darkness to promote me"

-

I actually have a real question for Jrod, and it's a significant one for the libertarian side because it's one that libertarian thinkers tend to get unstuck on.

Jrod:

1. Do you support the right of individuals to sell themselves voluntarily and/or their children in to slavery? If not, why not?
2. What is the status of children in your society? Are they the property of their parents? What rights can they be said to have, if any, and how would they be exercised?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

jrodefeld exactly two an a half years ago, not that his atrophied hippocampus would allow him to remember posted:

You know, I really don't see how this is that controversial. I really like Murray Rothbard and this quote is obviously him exploring the outer reaches of the libertarian philosophy.

But honestly, if this idea was put into practice, would the outcome for unwanted children be better or worse? I would suggest it might be much better.

So as callous as it appears to sound, the logical implications would imply that a market for children who would otherwise be forced to spend years at adoption agencies would find a suitable home and parents who will love and raise the child. If it provides better outcomes for parents and especially the children, I don't see the problem.

I haven't given this much thought, but if that is the best attempt to denigrate the writings at Mises.org then it is not very persuasive.

The goal of writers like Rothbard is to get you to think about novel solutions to problems. You might disagree with some of his proposals but it will compel you to think like an economist and effectively evaluate a situation in society.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

I remember this post but it's a great thing to bring up as much as possible.

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.
^^ Jrodefield is an idiot and vile human being to seriously have posted that.

Remember how Jrodefield finally pushed back at so many of us asking him why he and his libertarian buddies don't find some secluded stretch of wilderness/deserted island/etc and try out their dumb ideas? He didn't understand why we kept making that request. Why that mattered.

Ross Ulbricht got what he deserved, but at least he had the selfish guts to live out his ultimately coercive, violent ways at the heart of his libertarian values. Jrodefield and his buddies are too afraid to do that. They want to receive the benefits of the State while playing dress up and feeling self-important. At the end of the day, in a libertarian environment with so-called "freedom", when someone steals from you, they aren't going to play nice and without coercion give your property back. You either need a hopefully decent third party to deal with the conflict (aka a state-sponsored/community-sponsored police force with some legal authority), or you end up violently taking matters into your own hands.

Or you be like Jesus and offer them your coat also. (But that would require courage too, which I'm not sure libertarians have.)

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

RocketLunatic posted:

Ross Ulbricht got what he deserved, but at least he had the selfish guts to live out his ultimately coercive, violent ways at the heart of his libertarian values. Jrodefield and his buddies are too afraid to do that. They want to receive the benefits of the State while playing dress up and feeling self-important. At the end of the day, in a libertarian environment with so-called "freedom", when someone steals from you, they aren't going to play nice and without coercion give your property back. You either need a hopefully decent third party to deal with the conflict (aka a state-sponsored/community-sponsored police force with some legal authority), or you end up violently taking matters into your own hands.

Which is one of the most compelling cases people make in favour of not being able to 'drop out' of the state - you literally cannot help but benefit by it at almost every turn in your life whether you want to or not.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

"Children would only be sold to loving hetero families and no one would even think to purchase a child to use for sweatshop labor." -a moron

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Debate & Discussion > Libertarian appreciation station - I haven't given this much thought, but

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Just to make sure here, in this libertarian land where you can purchase children from poor and desperate parents (or vindictive brothers who are jealous of the youngest's technicolor dream coat) like you're Pharaoh...there are no child labor laws in this society, right? No mandatory education either yeah? And the only courts around are pay-to-play?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

VitalSigns posted:

Just to make sure here, in this libertarian land where you can purchase children from poor and desperate parents (or vindictive brothers who are jealous of the youngest's technicolor dream coat) like you're Pharaoh...there are no child labor laws in this society, right? No mandatory education either yeah? And the only courts around are pay-to-play?

Remember that he's previously said that mandatory education contributes to minority poverty by preventing kids "unsuited" to white standard primary education from instead being crippled in industrial presses learning a trade early and working their way to prosperity.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

"Buying children." Holy poo poo, that's just blatantly evil.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Of course, when there previously was a free market in people it was super good for everyone involved.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Disinterested posted:

Of course, when there previously was a free market in people it was super good for everyone involved.

Jives with his pro-secessionism views, you have to admit.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Disinterested posted:

Better than the alternative! Better to have a little shack and be able to grow your own veggies than getting cooked in a pot by animists.

The free market raises standards of living.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Remember that he's previously said that mandatory education contributes to minority poverty by preventing kids "unsuited" to white standard primary education from instead being crippled in industrial presses learning a trade early and working their way to prosperity.

It's very important eight year olds get that highly desired McDonalds experience on their resumes as soon as possible! How else are they going to be able to get a decent paying job to cover their medical bills from third-degree grease burns?! Gosh, you statists never seem to think these things through, do you?

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

It's all worth it though. The child slavery, the poisoned food and fallen bridges and burned down homes, the starving families and ruined Earth. It's worth it because in our brave new world, this world of freedom, I won't be coerced into the greatest evil of all: sharing with black people.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Who What Now posted:

It's very important eight year olds get that highly desired McDonalds experience on their resumes as soon as possible! How else are they going to be able to get a decent paying job to cover their medical bills from third-degree grease burns?! Gosh, you statists never seem to think these things through, do you?

I like when he ignores the multiple people telling him "nobody actually cares about those McJobs"

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Men with guns will put me in a cage if I let my employees use that last step on a ladder.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Disinterested posted:

Well of course if there are any states around, they're going to corrupt and coerce the free market and make buying and selling people seem like a bad thing

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Literally The Worst posted:

I like when he ignores the multiple people telling him "nobody actually cares about those McJobs"

Also, the way out of your McJob is to take what's left over from your $4/hr salary, buy a computer, get "computer skills", and then get a job with those new skills! Why do people not do that today, with their much higher $7.50/hr minimum wages? *grumblegrumble* time preferences *grumblegrumble*

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Ancap recap:
-Children may be legally bought and sold like property
-Child Labor is legal
-Prostitution is (presumably) legal

I can't see any way in which those three facts could combine and lead to bad outcomes, no sir.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nolanar posted:

Ancap recap:
-Child Labor is legal

I can't see any way in which those three facts could combine and lead to bad outcomes, no sir.

-Age of consent is at the discretion of whatever court wants your business

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Nolanar posted:

Ancap recap:
-Child Labor is legal

The prostitution thing is debatable either way but yeah there's no way it could not be legal. Plus, of course, sex slave trade would be working apace.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

DrProsek posted:

Also, the way out of your McJob is to take what's left over from your $4/hr salary, buy a computer, get "computer skills", and then get a job with those new skills! Why do people not do that today, with their much higher $7.50/hr minimum wages? *grumblegrumble* time preferences *grumblegrumble*

Reminder that this is literally a Lucky Ducky cartoon.

Caros
May 14, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

-Age of consent is at the discretion of whatever court wants your business

This is starting to turn into the Eripsa thread now. I wonder how many times I'd have to ask if jrod is against 'voluntary' child prostitution.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Caros posted:

This is starting to turn into the Eripsa thread now. I wonder how many times I'd have to ask if jrod is against 'voluntary' child prostitution.

Children don't have a legal will, they're property :colbert:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

jrod sighted while composing his next thesis for the SA Libertarian thread:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

QuarkJets posted:

"Are you bringing the holy Truth of mises.org to the unbelievers again, sweety?"

"Yes, mom, jeeze, leave me alone, you make libertarianism so uncool sometimes!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

QuarkJets posted:

Where is that from?