Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Gabriel Pope posted:

I dunno, I'm actually coming around on the Plague Doctor. Being able to remove blight/bleed is actually pretty huge for damage prevention (although their failure chance is obnoxious) and now that trinkets have gone through a few rounds of buffs it's possible to get very reliable multitarget stuns with them.

Arbalest is also a lot better than she looks at first glance. She gets ridiculously good weapon upgrades and camping skill buffs, so while she's mediocre on a short rookie mission after a couple levels and a few buffs she will tear poo poo up.

Her base accuracy is gargantuan, so load her up with -acc and +damage and rabies and watch her butcher everything!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

brocretin posted:

In other news, the Flesh is pretty brutal. Bring big damage and/or DoTs, because it has mad protection (8+ for the apprentice version!). Hardest boss in the game IMO, since there doesn't seem to be an easy solution for it.

I thought it was a lot of fun! Note that the 4 segments have different attacks and different stats--the pulsing squishy ones that heal have 0 prot and super low resistances, so you can turtle up and buff/heal/defend when the tougher segments are up and then go to town when a weak spot opens up. Also, since it has 4 sections it does not have very good stun resistance in general--I think it the spread for stun resist is 13/25/50/50, so party members specced for stun can do a lot of work even on the higher protection segments.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Gabriel Pope posted:

the pulsing squishy ones that heal have 0 prot and super low resistances, so you can turtle up and buff/heal/defend when the tougher segments are up and then go to town when a weak spot opens up.

This, IMO, is the key to getting the upper hand against the Formless Flesh. Put buff skills on every character that isn't a healer and have them all roid it up every turn the boss hides its weak points. I didn't know what to expect from this fight and had kind of a shoddy party (one character was lvl 0!), but still won because two guys happened to be a Leper with Revenge and a Hellion with Adrenaline Rush.

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

Lost my arbalest to my first Inchoate Flesh fight but mostly just burned it down. I fought pretty sloppy. The blight the pig butt puts on you is pretty brutal so clear that poo poo.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Been looking at a new team-comp with the new content out. Right now I have MaA/Bounty/Occult/Arb with the logic of target-loving an enemy with marks and attacks of opportunity. Inbetween the 3 dudes with marks, is the bounty hunter having a mark target somewhat redundant?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Just had my first heart attack death :( I've always leaned on stuns a lot so I never understood why people had so much trouble with the ghouls, but I've been trying out more classes since the patch dropped and I happened go have a group with very little stun power.

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Highwang posted:

Been looking at a new team-comp with the new content out. Right now I have MaA/Bounty/Occult/Arb with the logic of target-loving an enemy with marks and attacks of opportunity. Inbetween the 3 dudes with marks, is the bounty hunter having a mark target somewhat redundant?

No, because the Bounty Hunter will usually get his turn before the other two.

I want to say "take mark target off the Arbalest", but honestly she's better off doing Sniper Shots all the time anyway so it doesn't matter what skills she carries.

Snow Job fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 31, 2015

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Snow Job posted:

No, because the Bounty Hunter will usually get his turn before the other two.

I want to say "take mark target off the Arbalest", but honestly she's better off doing Sniper Shots all the time anyway so it doesn't matter what skills she carries.

Unless you have a trinket that can drop the Bounty Hunter's speed way down. This is good practice when you're running Bounty Hunter/Occultist.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The occultist has a camp self-buff with +stupid speed, so on longer missions he will usually go first.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Gabriel Pope posted:

The occultist has a camp self-buff with +stupid speed, so on longer missions he will usually go first.

+5 iirc

I really prefer having the occultist do the marking. He has a debuff attached to the skill and it can crit.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Gabriel Pope posted:

Just had my first heart attack death :( I've always leaned on stuns a lot so I never understood why people had so much trouble with the ghouls, but I've been trying out more classes since the patch dropped and I happened go have a group with very little stun power.

I had a party wipe due to Heart Attacks. They are bullshit and either A) Need to be removed or B) Stress attacks and effects need to be dialed DOWN.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Right now I'm rolling with Man at Arms/Highwayman/Occultist/Arbalist and nothing lives long enough to do things. This group was rolled up new for the bosses and have killed the tier 1 and tier 2 versions of each of them easily. They're currently at level 4 all around and are about to finish off the third tier of each. If anyone is having a problem with any of the bosses I'd recommend this team.

The "sun" items (ring/cloak/bracer) are just too good and allow me to use the AoE attacks the back three have to just clear the board in 1-2 turns. Sun Cloaks on the front two make them largely impervious to damage, or at least enough to last until you get to camp and heal up or use food to heal. The weakest member is the Highwayman but that's due to him being reliant on crits and his camp ability to keep up with the rest.

Protection needs a huge nerf, both of the new classes need tweaking (especially their camp powers and Retribution) and trinkets are too powerful as well. I'll be a little sad when they are nerfed, but both are much stronger than the original classes to me.

Krumbsthumbs fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 31, 2015

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
this game should be great but something is missing I cant put my finger on. its like all the pieces are there and they just didnt put them together properly.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Mr. Unlucky posted:

this game should be great but something is missing I cant put my finger on. its like all the pieces are there and they just didnt put them together properly.

You're still missing the endgame, most likely.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Mr. Unlucky posted:

At least to me, once you get past the early point, you aren't pressed to do anything out of your comfort zone. Their needs to be a pressing concern to deal with bosses etc.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

LeJackal posted:

I had a party wipe due to Heart Attacks. They are bullshit and either A) Need to be removed or B) Stress attacks and effects need to be dialed DOWN.

I think they're pretty solid as is. I appreciate the fact that there's this separate dimension of survivability, so a party that's built to shrug off HP damage can still be threatened. The leper that I lost was in a party heavy on tanking and area DPS and I actually enjoy having the ghoul come up and counter that (I was completely rolling the dungeon up until then.)

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Gabriel Pope posted:

I think they're pretty solid as is. I appreciate the fact that there's this separate dimension of survivability, so a party that's built to shrug off HP damage can still be threatened. The leper that I lost was in a party heavy on tanking and area DPS and I actually enjoy having the ghoul come up and counter that (I was completely rolling the dungeon up until then.)

The problem is that Stress damage is still tuned to pre-patch levels where excess did jack poo poo. Now that heart attacks your dudes, the bullshit +30 stress attacks cause death cascades. You will literally have one character flip over to Afflicted, cause everyone around him to get a +20 stress every turn, triggering another Affliction, which bounces back to heart attack the first fellow, causing more stress, etc.

I have a problem with this, particularly because there are no ways to effectively cure/mitigate stress.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Yeah, but on the other hand a lot of that stuff used to be trivial. Abusive afflictions used to kind of be a gimme. And you still generally get time to back out; I could easily have fled when Abusive popped up, I just stuck it out because I really wanted to pull through and get the trinket reward for the mission. Doing stupid stuff out of greed is DD at its purest.

I guess the one thing I would like to see would be to give say the Jester some better stress management tools. You can't have too much stress healing or else most stress attacks become irrelevant, but e.g. a party-wide stress resist buff that also knocked off a few points would be great. And Jesters badly need help anyhow.

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 31, 2015

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I assume that with these changes they will now tweak some of the old classes, maybe give a few of these nifty new effects or stress removal to some of the more vanilla skills on them.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

LeJackal posted:

The problem is that Stress damage is still tuned to pre-patch levels where excess did jack poo poo. Now that heart attacks your dudes, the bullshit +30 stress attacks cause death cascades. You will literally have one character flip over to Afflicted, cause everyone around him to get a +20 stress every turn, triggering another Affliction, which bounces back to heart attack the first fellow, causing more stress, etc.

I have a problem with this, particularly because there are no ways to effectively cure/mitigate stress.

there's a shitload of +stress resist tho

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Dackel posted:

+5 iirc

I really prefer having the occultist do the marking. He has a debuff attached to the skill and it can crit.

Another solution is to throw a quick draw charm on your occultist so he can reliably mark first on the first round.

Quick draw charm is also super nice on man-at-arms so you can immediately get riposte up.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Androc posted:

Another solution is to throw a quick draw charm on your occultist so he can reliably mark first on the first round.

Quick draw charm is also super nice on man-at-arms so you can immediately get riposte up.

Ooh good idea. Haven't even thought of using my quick draw for that, I just dump dmg/crit on him. I'm certain everyone agrees riposte is just too strong, it does too much. I mean, if you removed every single skill from Man at Arms except Riposte, I'd still use it. It's pretty ridiculous.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Minrad posted:

My Arbalist crits so often that she's basically a dedicated stress healer.

Also the Man at Arms makes most dungeons so trivial. It almost feels like cheating.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Vestal - Highway Man - Crusader - Hellion = The Crimson Hand

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
gently caress, I lost my resolve lvl 2 vestial, that I brought along to make sure the group was doing fine, on a routine ruins mission at the very last room to scout.

I hate you game, and I hate X-COM.

I'm gonna keep on playing.

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012
Note to self: If I see what looks like an evil lamp post with a description that says PUT A TORCH IN ME TO SEE NAMELESS HORRORS, I will not out a torch in it when running a full seeker party.

I managed to kill the thing, but lost 3 of the party in the process, and one of the lil' buggers finished off the leper.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

god drat the man at arms is a loving bulldozer.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.

warhammer651 posted:

Note to self: If I see what looks like an evil lamp post with a description that says PUT A TORCH IN ME TO SEE NAMELESS HORRORS, I will not out a torch in it when running a full seeker party.

I managed to kill the thing, but lost 3 of the party in the process, and one of the lil' buggers finished off the leper.

I made this same mistake. I was like "OH WHATS THE WORST THAT CAN HAPPEN" and then suddenly I was dead.

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

Fought the Shambler with a party that just happened to be tuned to kill fatties but they were well hosed for the rest of the run. Losing highway men is the price of a run for me I guess.

Baiku fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jun 1, 2015

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

Kooriken posted:

I made this same mistake. I was like "OH WHATS THE WORST THAT CAN HAPPEN" and then suddenly I was dead.

I blame Etrian odyssey for training me to say yes whenever a game goes HERE'S SOMETHING TO POKE WITH A STICK

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

MinibarMatchman posted:

god drat the man at arms is a loving bulldozer.

I haven't played him too much but it seems like taking all these hits is causing much more stress than usual which is a pretty big downside. But yeah, I would bet on him getting nerfed pretty hard and the community going ssj emo.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

warhammer651 posted:

I used a Torch on some random Object and it gave my Vestral more than a full bar of Stress and since she was almost Afflicted anyway it was instant Fatal Heart Attack. I think some of those Unknown changes were definitely in the random Object effect department.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

warhammer651 posted:

I did this on the way to the last room in a 'clear all rooms dungeon'. Wow. that was a bad decision, had to bug-out with a dead highwayman and three stress broken characters that are going to be out of action for a long time now, tons of cash straight down the drain. All for some stupid magic item I don't even want.

One who is Rad
Mar 30, 2010

RVWinkle posted:

I haven't played him too much but it seems like taking all these hits is causing much more stress than usual which is a pretty big downside. But yeah, I would bet on him getting nerfed pretty hard and the community going ssj emo.

I'm just enjoying it while it lasts, I mean the guy can counter ranged attacks, crit on the counter and even stun with them. My MaA one shot Wilbur on accident while fighting the Swine King And we still won because Riposte is literally the best single move in the game.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Minrad posted:

Yeah this is basically my take-away from my first few heart attacks. I used to completely ignore anything that had anything to do with stress resist. Never used a stress resist camp skill, stress resist trinkets immediately were forgotten, etc etc. The gently caress were you going to do, make one of my dudes go Abusive and make the entire mission more fun? Or, even better, make them go heroic and give me a great story to tell?

Now stress resist is actually worth using. A Good Change.

e:I agree that this should be something Jesters could help with though, because they are kind of hard to use otherwise. Maybe make Jesters the Stress Vestal, where they can chip 5-8 off the entire party, and some other class (the Highwayman?) the Stress Occultist, where he could try to hurl a snide remark at someone which could make them laugh and heal a substantial amount of stress, or maybe it backfires and inflicts more. Though that's basically Gallows Humor outside of the camp so I'm probably being dumb here.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jun 1, 2015

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

warhammer651 posted:

Never seen one of those, where was it? Does it only show up on dark runs?

Androc fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jun 1, 2015

Unwise_Cashew
Jan 19, 2014

Androc posted:

It seems like its just a random object you can get. I got one running the Hag, which was a nice surprise. Honestly, though, it does straight up tell you *WARNING: BAD THING TO TOUCH* but, you know, greed and all that jazz.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Androc posted:

It's actually kinda hard sometimes to get it in dark runs, because you need 1 thing that you never take to a dark run: a torch.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Note to self: don't be a cheapskate and take 1 torch along on all missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I generally don't do 100% dark runs anyhow. Doing the first few rooms in bright light generally makes things go more smoothly--if nothing else, it lets you get a head start on scouting.

I've still missed at least 3 altars because I threw out my torch stack for loot space with 1-2 hallways to go :(

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jun 1, 2015