Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Thoughts on where I want the series to go from here, which is mostly just a collection of things I've said earlier in this thread:

-Keep the way the hoe, seeds and watering works. It's a good system.
-Fewer animals. Get rid of things like Brown Alpacas and Grey Rabbits if they're only going to produce one or two types of cloth.
-Gold/Great/+ animal products should cover regular products when building/sewing/fulfilling requests/etc.
-For the love of God don't make alpacas and horses follow you around in the barn. I appreciate that having a horse follow you around on the map being really useful for keeping track of it, but in the barn? No.
-If they insist on a Safari/Animal Sanctuary system, Agate/Niel/Whoever needs to have two options available: "Go home right now" to return to town, or "Spend the rest of the day at the Safari" that'll fastforward to 21:00.
-There needs to be better balance when it comes to befriending wild animals. The rewards don't need to be too good or, like, unique, but it needs to be better than some one star gathering items or easy to obtain building materials.
-If they insist on keeping the pottery barn, I need to be able to do things like obtain the raw materials from gathering instead of just buying them, make bricks for construction, and display the things you make.
-Less RNG dependency. It's not quite as bad as ANB (It took me like forty Tropical Country vacation attempts to get everything I needed for the Hot House, and even then I think I saw exactly one piece of sea weed in all those attempts).
-Expand the home customization so at the very least players can put stuff on tables so like the mosquito coils or the potted plants aren't just sadly sitting on the floor looking really tiny.
-Speaking of: Make better wall papers and floorings, and make them available earlier. It's year 3 and I finally started getting ones I liked (I don't mind the Star ones, but I really fell in love with the ocean waves and lava wall paper, along with the ocean flooring and the marble tiling floors).
-Spouses should have their own little section of the house that sort of pertains to their interests/job. Like Klaus could have a little perfume table, Angela might have a table with first aid kits or whatever. You know, something that indicates that the spouse actually lives there.
-More/better villager dialogue/events. If Fritz nearly broke his neck falling off a ledge in town, I want to see it, not have Nadi tell me about it.
-The TV programs could stand to be better. As it is, they're pretty confusing and hard to keep track of (I literally could not tell you what's going on in the murder mystery one). It might be helpful if the characters had dialogue portraits or something, but I suppose that would be a lot of extra work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

TurnipFritter posted:

-Fewer animals. Get rid of things like Brown Alpacas and Grey Rabbits if they're only going to produce one or two types of cloth.
I think it might help if they went with fewer animals but you could get different products from each. Limit it to one "harvest" per day from the animal so you have to choose somewhat, but the star rank of all associated products is based on the affection of the animal. Then they can add a wider array of animal products with less redundancy, although admittedly I'm not sure what extra products some animals could offer (cows can't do much more than get milked and poo poo on the floors, but maybe if you could compost five-star cow poo poo...).

TurnipFritter posted:

-There needs to be better balance when it comes to befriending wild animals. The rewards don't need to be too good or, like, unique, but it needs to be better than some one star gathering items or easy to obtain building materials.
I think befriending the wild animals should be what increases the star rank of foraged stuff in the wilderness. You know, because that at least kinda relates to befriending the animals. Maybe have there be a higher chance of gatherables in the same areas as the animals, with a guaranteed one semi-rare foraged item per day if you've maxed out friendship with that animal. Nothing super useful but how great would it be if some squirrels found you Black Lumber now and then, or five-star wildflowers, or whatever?

TurnipFritter posted:

-If they insist on keeping the pottery barn, I need to be able to do things like obtain the raw materials from gathering instead of just buying them, make bricks for construction, and display the things you make.
I genuinely cannot think of a single good reason not to let you fire your own bricks. A farmer with a kiln ought to at least know that much. Clay sources could come from doing something to bring back mining as more of a gameplay thing than a pinata you hit with a hammer for random crap. I dunno.

TurnipFritter posted:

-Less RNG dependency. It's not quite as bad as ANB (It took me like forty Tropical Country vacation attempts to get everything I needed for the Hot House, and even then I think I saw exactly one piece of sea weed in all those attempts).

TurnipFritter posted:

-Speaking of: Make better wall papers and floorings, and make them available earlier. It's year 3 and I finally started getting ones I liked (I don't mind the Star ones, but I really fell in love with the ocean waves and lava wall paper, along with the ocean flooring and the marble tiling floors).
Less RNG dependency and less poo poo being locked for years and years (or trapped behind festival reward RNG, the unholy combination). There is no loving way all but the most hardcore fans play these games for 5+ game years. You should at least be able to focus on what you want to unlock and get it with effort. Make it so putting your efforts into a branch of unlocks will slow you down or prevent you from getting others, but if some guy wants to work at getting super-greenhouses unlocked by the start of Year 2 and dumps all his resources into doing it, let him.

TrekBek
Mar 27, 2013

slug life
I'm using that Indonesia site to try to get combinations, but I don't really understand how they work. Do I just need the column of items-- like, two ponds will make my watering more effective-- or do I need the entire row to get the bonus?

LSD at the gangbang
Dec 27, 2009

Pets like the dog and cat don't die in Story of Seasons, do they? It's dumb but I'd be sad if my anime farming sim cat died.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

TrekBek posted:

I'm using that Indonesia site to try to get combinations, but I don't really understand how they work. Do I just need the column of items-- like, two ponds will make my watering more effective-- or do I need the entire row to get the bonus?

You need the entire combo. So for the watering, two ponds, three wells, and three hand pumps.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

AngryRobotsInc posted:

You need the entire combo. So for the watering, two ponds, three wells, and three hand pumps.

Well, some of them have partial versions, like the typhoon protection combo, but broadly this is correct.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Blhue posted:

Well, some of them have partial versions, like the typhoon protection combo, but broadly this is correct.

Oh, right. Forgot about the tiered ones. (that typhoon protection one is baller)

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I finally got around to picking up a Harvest Moon game for my 3DS. I went with A New Beginning, and I have to say that it is quite fun.

While I was in the nintendo store though, I saw that they had 1, 2, and 3 available as well. Has there been any word on if they are going to redo either 64 or Back to Nature? They were my two favorite games in the series. I played 64 constantly.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

jadebullet posted:

So I finally got around to picking up a Harvest Moon game for my 3DS. I went with A New Beginning, and I have to say that it is quite fun.

While I was in the nintendo store though, I saw that they had 1, 2, and 3 available as well. Has there been any word on if they are going to redo either 64 or Back to Nature? They were my two favorite games in the series. I played 64 constantly.

They have all but outright said HM64 will never make it to the VC. Apparently it is a coding nightmare. Back to Nature is on the PSN, though.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

AngryRobotsInc posted:

They have all but outright said HM64 will never make it to the VC. Apparently it is a coding nightmare. Back to Nature is on the PSN, though.

Does that mean I could play it on my PS4? (I am still trying to figure out how to get PSX games on my PS4 via the PSN. I haven't really tried too hard though.)

Edit: Damnit. It is PSP, Vita, and PS3 only.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

jadebullet posted:

Does that mean I could play it on my PS4? (I am still trying to figure out how to get PSX games on my PS4 via the PSN. I haven't really tried too hard though.)

As far as I'm aware, PSOne Classics are not currently available on PS4.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

I unlocked Tropical Country! It was super tedious, but I did it!

And then the game crashed before I saved, and I lost 3 days.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Uh, I appear to be missing a sheep?

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

Toriori posted:

Uh, I appear to be missing a sheep?

Does it still show up in the info book in your barn? If so then it has to be somewhere. When I was still letting my stupid dogs herd them in and out everyday, they would sometimes forget one and leave it outside overnight. Like if it was hiding behind the barn or something.

If it isn't in the info book and you didn't sell it then I have no idea. They do die eventually but I think the game tells you when that happens. And I haven't had any die on me yet and I am in year 4 so they live a long time.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Yeah she was there the next day, I assume doggy forgot it outside. Now I just need to fulfill the arbitrary requirement to get Raeger to propose to me.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

Klaus is so easy to get friendship with I'm pretty sure he loved me before my wife did.

When do my kids stop being burritos left on a bed, alone in a house all day because Iris keeps leaving while I'm farming? And what is it that unlocks golden crops? And can anyone spot me like, 80 iron?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Kruller posted:

Klaus is so easy to get friendship with I'm pretty sure he loved me before my wife did.

When do my kids stop being burritos left on a bed, alone in a house all day because Iris keeps leaving while I'm farming? And what is it that unlocks golden crops? And can anyone spot me like, 80 iron?

For kids, it takes 2 months from birth to hit a a stage where you can actually interact with them, and they don't hit childhood and become mobile npcs until about a month past their first birthday.

Unlocking golden crops seems to be dependent on shipping the non-golden version of that crop raw in some quantity.

Blhue fucked around with this message at 06:12 on May 28, 2015

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yeah, golden crops are just ship 500 of the regular crop.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I believe it's 500 of the non-golden version, and it seems like the golden seeds will only be available in season (so if you ship 500 strawberries in fall, you still won't get the seeds until spring rolls around). But golden crops are total bullshit to raise, so.

Anyway, I drew an alpaca.

Kallev
Nov 16, 2014
Now just make it follow me everywhere I go and get in my way and they'll hire you for the next game.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

TurnipFritter posted:

I believe it's 500 of the non-golden version, and it seems like the golden seeds will only be available in season (so if you ship 500 strawberries in fall, you still won't get the seeds until spring rolls around). But golden crops are total bullshit to raise, so.

Anyway, I drew an alpaca.

Pretty cute.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I read the OP and I'm playing Rune Factory 4, I'm not sure what to do because apparently there is a thing to do in the water temple, but IDK what it is, also I want to make more money, but I don't know what sells best, nor do I know how to balance sickling and harvesting.

ALSO!

This is my first harvest moon game, and I like the dungeon bits to break up the whole "being a farmer" thing." I really enjoy it.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
For the "Cook X meals" trophies does it only count bulk cooking as 1 unit?

I wouldn't otherwise care but I think the quality of my cooked meals goes up by getting those trophies, doesn't it?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Turtlicious posted:

I read the OP and I'm playing Rune Factory 4, I'm not sure what to do because apparently there is a thing to do in the water temple, but IDK what it is, also I want to make more money, but I don't know what sells best, nor do I know how to balance sickling and harvesting.

ALSO!

This is my first harvest moon game, and I like the dungeon bits to break up the whole "being a farmer" thing." I really enjoy it.

Sickling is for getting higher quality seeds out of your crops. Shipping a seed/crop of any given level will cause that quality seed to be available in the shops from then on. One of the early requests unlocks this, it doesn't work like this to start. Don't worry about sickling until you've done this, and don't do it any more than you need to upgrade your store's seeds. Also, when you harvest a crop there's a chance that you'll get a higher level seed out of it, up to level 3.

Met posted:

I wouldn't otherwise care but I think the quality of my cooked meals goes up by getting those trophies, doesn't it?

It worked that way in ANB, I never tested it in SoS but I assumed it still worked that way, yes. 95% of my cooking until I got the highest rank trophy was single ingredient recipes that I could produce by just mashing the button while doing something else.

Blhue fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 31, 2015

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Met posted:

Generally, bulk cooking counts as 1. I am pretty sure it does in SoS too, though it's been a minute since I went on a cooking spree.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Yeah I'm talking about Story of Seasons.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

ALSO!

Sickleling generally nets you a seed one level higher than the crop would be if you harvested it, and you can always buy seeds of the highest level of seed/crop you've shipped so you do it on only one of your crops per plant type you are harvesting. Making money isn't something to worry about - you'll get lots pretty quickly. You can also raise seed level by putting down greenifier to speed the process up.

For the water dungeon, keep wandering around looking for new rooms. When you get to the right room you can't miss it, just like when you found the butterfly in the forest dungeon.

At some point the game explains how animals work, but since this is your first RF game: Buffamoos give milk, wooly's give wool, the chicken looking things give eggs, and the hornet/wasp looking things give honey after you tame them and have them living in one of your barns.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

LLSix posted:

Sickleling generally nets you a seed one level higher than the crop would be if you harvested it, and you can always buy seeds of the highest level of seed/crop you've shipped so you do it on only one of your crops per plant type you are harvesting. Making money isn't something to worry about - you'll get lots pretty quickly. You can also raise seed level by putting down greenifier to speed the process up.

For the water dungeon, keep wandering around looking for new rooms. When you get to the right room you can't miss it, just like when you found the butterfly in the forest dungeon.

At some point the game explains how animals work, but since this is your first RF game: Buffamoos give milk, wooly's give wool, the chicken looking things give eggs, and the hornet/wasp looking things give honey after you tame them and have them living in one of your barns.

Greenifier is pretty expensive, until the point when it's completely trivial. Wrecks the poo poo out of your soil too.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Gibbo posted:

Greenifier is pretty expensive, until the point when it's completely trivial. Wrecks the poo poo out of your soil too.

Only do it once a day and it doesn't damage the soil. It is expensive.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

LLSix posted:

Only do it once a day and it doesn't damage the soil. It is expensive.

Was it the thing that makes your stuff grow faster that wrecks your soil then? It has been a bit since playing RF4.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Using any multiple of a soil upgrade material will damage the HP of that soil, aside from things that increase the HP or resistance to hurricanes. :eng101:

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Gibbo posted:

Was it the thing that makes your stuff grow faster that wrecks your soil then? It has been a bit since playing RF4.

Formula A/B/C, aka the best thing ever. It was a pain stocking up all the ingredients needed though.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Nondevor posted:

Formula A/B/C, aka the best thing ever. It was a pain stocking up all the ingredients needed though.

I think you could just buy formula, but I may be misrembering.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

LLSix posted:

I think you could just buy formula, but I may be misrembering.

I think you can eventually buy B, but you have to make C

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Gibbo posted:

I think you can eventually buy B, but you have to make C

you can definitely buy C in RF4

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
I was a cheapskate and saved all my money for rebuying golden vegetables from the shop. Gotta make that dessert worth millions! It also helped to increase my pharmacy level. :v:

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

Turtlicious posted:

ALSO!

I just restarted RF4 because SoS lost some appeal after I unlocked Tropical Country. If you've beaten the horse in the water temple, you need to head to the left from the main room. If you haven't beaten the horse, you need to head right from the main room.

Don't worry too much about money at first. What you'll be stopped by is material wood and stone. Either leave a part of your field unplowed, or visit the summer/spring/autumn/winter fields and leave them unplowed, because they'll have a bunch of rocks and wood to smash every day or two.

Make sure you buy a fridge from that horrible monster thing in the restaurant so you can actually put your crops away.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Kruller posted:

I just restarted RF4 because SoS lost some appeal after I unlocked Tropical Country. If you've beaten the horse in the water temple, you need to head to the left from the main room. If you haven't beaten the horse, you need to head right from the main room.

Don't worry too much about money at first. What you'll be stopped by is material wood and stone. Either leave a part of your field unplowed, or visit the summer/spring/autumn/winter fields and leave them unplowed, because they'll have a bunch of rocks and wood to smash every day or two.

Make sure you buy a fridge from that horrible monster thing in the restaurant so you can actually put your crops away.

You will also unlock a male character who will sell a random assortment of items every day. One of the items that he can sell is material stone or material wood, so if you have enough cash, you can purchase it in bulk later on. There is also a female character who runs a random item shop, but she sells items that you have shipped, where the male character does not (if an item has a buy price and you ship it, it can show up in her store; save before talking to her that day and reload if she doesn't have what you want).

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Not really HM related but Lords of waifuMagna comes out on Tuesday.

Got my preorder ready as a sort of send off for Neverland. :japan:

Hopefully the game's not poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Gibbo posted:

Not really HM related but Lords of waifuMagna comes out on Tuesday.

Got my preorder ready as a sort of send off for Neverland. :japan:

Hopefully the game's not poo poo

The regular game graphics look good, but I really do not like the art style of the portraits. I wish they had kept the rune factory look.

I'm also hoping the game is good, but I would never preorder it, no matter how much I loved rune factory

• Locked thread