Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Gorilla Salad posted:

Duke's not dead!

Damned if I can find the clip of it, but the old GI Joe movie killed Duke, but the company changed its mind so there's this hilariously blatant voiceover right at the end with someone shouting "Duke's woken up and he's gonna be okay!"

To add to this trend, an episode of Justice League: Unlimited has Lex Luthor hack the Watchtower's orbital laser weapon and blow up a secret government facility in a city with the force of a small nuke. We later see the Flash and others helping survivors from ruined builidngs, one of which is leaning against another building. Flash radios the League and informs them that there have been no casualties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Dr Christmas posted:

To add to this trend, an episode of Justice League: Unlimited has Lex Luthor hack the Watchtower's orbital laser weapon and blow up a secret government facility in a city with the force of a small nuke. We later see the Flash and others helping survivors from ruined builidngs, one of which is leaning against another building. Flash radios the League and informs them that there have been no casualties.

I recently watched that episode, and it's only barely excusable because they got a small amount of warning. Flash is fast enough for that. It was still a little too friendly, especially considering how destructive every single episode of that show is.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Christ yes, I watched The Human Centipede out of morbid curiosity and it was loving hilarious. I like that movie and I can't get any of my friends to watch it with me.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Addint to the Human Centipede chat in the first one they state the second and third segments get IV drips to balance out their lack of actual food. Same for the third film.

The second one doesn't give a gently caress about the centipede surviving.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Light Gun Man posted:

Was it Robotech or something where they'd blow the poo poo out of planes and have some offscreen voice be like "I can see their parachutes!"?

Robotech was stone cold. Japanese cartoons didn't blink when it came to blowing people away. I remember one scene where the hero blows down a door in an enemy spacecraft and you see the guy on the other side consumed in flames and just evaporate away.

Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GCATBVDGgY

Robotech was the hot poo poo when I was a kid. It was crazy to start a Saturday morning going from lame old stuff like Wacky Races to Robotech and then back to some other tame US cartoon.

Even the original Astroboy didn't shy away from killing people when they had to, even the good guys could get killed - which was pretty much unheard of. One episode had two robots falling in love, but human bigotry said it was unnatural because robots aren't people. It ended with the two of them tied together and set on fire by a crazed mob. But they melted together into one and their internal clocks ("heart beats") became as one.

So here's my irritating moment - TV shows and movies which don't give kids enough credit and instead patronise them with poo poo like "I can see their parachutes". Kids aren't stupid, they understand bad guys kill people - it's why they're bad people.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The original American release of Dragon Ball Z was extra goofy. The very first story arc involves the main character getting killed and then travelling around the afterlife training. Despite the fact that the show very clearly follows the character around they edited it so that he wasn't dead just "in another dimension."

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
The best part is he meets two Ogres in the afterlife who have shirts that say "HELL", and the graphic is edited to say "HFIL" - Home For Infinite Losers.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

muscles like this? posted:

The original American release of Dragon Ball Z was extra goofy. The very first story arc involves the main character getting killed and then travelling around the afterlife training. Despite the fact that the show very clearly follows the character around they edited it so that he wasn't dead just "in another dimension."

Yugioh sends people to the shadowrealm instead of die.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Is that what's happening when he beats them at cards and then they shatter into a thousand pieces of glass?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Ignite Memories posted:

Is that what's happening when he beats them at cards and then they shatter into a thousand pieces of glass?

Probably. There's one episode where the loser of a duel would fall to their death originally but in the american version there's a portal to the shadow realm.

Also all guns got edited out but the hand positions still have them holding a gun.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It's still pretty hosed up to send people to some kind of weird hell/purgatory for losing at a card game.

I think the first cartoon I watched where anyone got straight up murdered was Pokemon: The First Movie.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

muscles like this? posted:

To be fair in Akira Toriyama's world the underworld/afterlife/heaven pretty much is just another dimension.

Characters travel to and from it pretty freely, especially towards the end of DBZ. They violate the "you can only come back once!" rule several times, breaking the drama of having characters die in the first place (rational irritating movie moment) and whats worse is loving Goku straight up uses instant-transmission to travel between the Earth and King Kai's planet a few times. I mean what the hell? How does that work? People stay in Hell on the honor system?

Goku can just teleport from Heaven back to Earth? He teleports Cell to King Kai's planet, in the afterlife, when he's blowing up. Who is running this shitshow of a universe? (We do meet the big guy and he seems completely out of it, although then later we meet "gods" like Beerus and find out that DBZ exists in a multiverse.... and even gods like Beerus are shown to be kinda incompetent)

Ultimately none of it is consistent at all and makes no sense. Its just a big joke. Because Toriyama is a silly, silly guy. (See: The names of every single character he's ever created)

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
-I know it's been happening since forever, but I have fatigue from the trope of high school kids played by actors aged like 23-30. On one hand, I get it - child actors and even a lot of teen actors loving suck. On the other hand, this guy has a lot of chest hair and when he is flirting with his classmate, she looks 14 and he looks 30.
-I still don't know why sound guys have to put guns going "clink clunk clunk" when moved around. Without getting to TFR, I don't think anyone would think the weapon was less deadly or impactful or anything if it didn't rattle.
-The hero wound. I like stuff where the hero isn't infallible and actually gets hurts and loses some fights, and I also hate the shoulder gunshot wound that "man, you were so lucky, it passed right through!"

Firstborn has a new favorite as of 16:09 on Jun 1, 2015

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Firstborn posted:

-I know it's been happening since forever, but I have fatigue from the trope of high school kids played by actors aged like 23-30. On one hand, I get it - child actors and even a lot of teen actors loving suck. On the other hand, this guy has a lot of chest hair and when he is flirting with his classmate, she looks 14 and he looks 30.
Friday Night Lights was the worst with this, especially because they kept Tim Riggins in high school for like three years longer than he was initially supposed to be. And then you had Aimee Teegarden, who was an actual teenager with a babyface, surrounded by a bunch of people who looked like they should be worrying about paying off their grad school loans instead of how they can remain academically eligible to play high school football.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

It's still pretty hosed up to send people to some kind of weird hell/purgatory for losing at a card game.

I think the first cartoon I watched where anyone got straight up murdered was Pokemon: The First Movie.

Well, to be fair they weren't pulling that stuff out during friendly games or even during competitions. That stuff was when poo poo gets real.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Firstborn posted:

-I still don't know why sound guys have to put guns going "clink clunk clunk" when moved around. Without getting to TFR, I don't think anyone would think the weapon was less deadly or impactful or anything if it didn't rattle.

Its a belief in Hollywood that if they don't over-do the gently caress out of all the Foley sound effects, the audience may not realize something is happening :rolleyes:

I've complained about things like this in the thread a few times. It drives you nuts once you notice it, but most people just :munch: and don't notice. But once you do, you can't stop noticing it.

Things like swords being drawn, kiss smacks, papers rustling, they're all way way louder than they should be, because Hollywood thinks the audience needs constant audio cues to keep up with the action. I was watching a movie and a little rowboat pulled up on a beach shore and it made this loud WSHHHHHH noise as it landed, sand doesn't make that much noise!

The most egregious of this of course is people always cocking their guns right before the action, which is such a massive played out trope I don't even have to mention it.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Friday Night Lights was the worst with this, especially because they kept Tim Riggins in high school for like three years longer than he was initially supposed to be. And then you had Aimee Teegarden, who was an actual teenager with a babyface, surrounded by a bunch of people who looked like they should be worrying about paying off their grad school loans instead of how they can remain academically eligible to play high school football.

Community had the same kinda thing going on with Annie and Jeff. Alison Brie may be 32 but her character was like 19 and she did a decent job of pulling it off, meanwhile Joel McHale is 43 and his character was too. Although it did get mentioned in the show that it was pretty creepy for his character to be hitting on her.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 17:00 on Jun 1, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The 100 also has 30 year olds playing characters that are meant to be teens, then one of those 16 year old characters hooks up with a mid-30s guy.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Zaphod42 posted:

Its a belief in Hollywood that if they don't over-do the gently caress out of all the Foley sound effects, the audience may not realize something is happening :rolleyes:

Dude, the worst one is any feedback from a computer results in that stock "bloip" sound effect when you switched screens in the old XCOM game. I forget what I was watching recently but it was heralded as being pretty realistic and stuff, and yet going to a search engine, putting something in the box, then clicking on the subsequent website resulted in BEEP BOOP BEEP.

Firstborn has a new favorite as of 17:37 on Jun 1, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Firstborn posted:

Dude, the worst one is any feedback from a computer results in that stock "bloip" sound effect when you switched screens in the old XCOM game. I forget what I was watching recently but it was heralded as being pretty realistic and stuff, and yet going to a search engine, putting something in the box, then clicking on the subsequent website resulted in BEEP BOOP BEEP.

I know the exact sound you're talking about.

E: I think its this one? Not sure if TFTD was the same https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxKlYNc8n3k&feature=youtu.be&t=1m13s

I remember having a Windows 95 cursor pack that changed the mouse cursor to the starcraft one, and it changed the "open window" sound effect in Windows to be that Xcom Bloip sound.

I've talked about stock sounds before here too, and they also ruin films. I'm all for the Wilhelm scream, that's special. But you hear the exact same pig oink, kids laughing, dude on fire, etc. in every single tv show, videogame, and movie, and its awful.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

ChogsEnhour posted:

Addint to the Human Centipede chat in the first one they state the second and third segments get IV drips to balance out their lack of actual food. Same for the third film.

The second one doesn't give a gently caress about the centipede surviving.

I'd say I'm irrationally irritated that they've made THREE loving HUMAN CENTIPEDE FILMS but I think it's entirely rational to be irritated by that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I think the idea that the person in the back would die from ... eating poo ... to death ... is actually intentionally part of the horror.

Same with the idea of having a dead corpse stitched to your rear end in a top hat :stonk:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
At the end of the movie the one in the middle is the only one alive so have fun thinking about that now :v:

edit: Unless I'm misremembering, anyway; I decided after the first viewing that it probably also should be the last. Take my advice and don't watch the second one. Just, really, don't. When you look at the first Human Centipede and go "Well, by comparison that really wasn't all that bad", you know you've watched something man was not meant to witness.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 17:49 on Jun 1, 2015

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Duke Igthorn posted:

I saw the original "gently caress" version in theaters and, as someone with no problem with bad language, it didn't really fit the tone of the movie. It was out of place and, if it wasn't such an awkward dub, there'd be nobody saying "she should have said gently caress"

You're misremebering because it never released like that. Originally they wanted to make it a PG13 or R movie (to contrast with the squeaky clean nature of star trek Vs the actual cast). The studio decided at the last minute to make it more family friendly and tone it down.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
I just rewatched Pineapple Express and while it was good, I figured out why I like The Interview wayyyy better. It's because while Seth Rogan and James Franco are always a treat together, in Pineapple Express they barely know each other and while they become best friends at the end, the way the actors play off of each other is so stilted and almost boring compared to The Interview where they play best friends and codependent co-workers. It's just the way they interact and play off of each other is half of what makes the movie so loving good, everything is much more natural and the humor flows better.

Basically I could watch Seth Rogan and James Franco do a crossword and be delighted. This Is the End was great, but Jay's whining got boring, that movie was totally saved by Jonah Hill and I don't even like Jonah Hill except in 21 Jump Street.

Speaking of,21 Jump Street was a romantic comedy. But not between Jonah Hill's character and that girl, but between him and Channing Tatum's character. It was classic jock falls in love with the nerd trope, except they were dudes and cops and Jonah Hill isn't nearly hot enough for Tatum so the script shoved in a girl so no-homo. Seriously, that movie should end with them making out instead of Hill chasing a loving high school girl. Gross.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

You're totally right that Rogan and Franco have better chemistry in The Interview but that movie was so boring I couldn't make myself finish it. Pineapple Express however had a decent plot and some good humor, even if their chemistry was a little stilted at first. :shrug:

Speaking of Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum, This is the End was surprisingly hilarious. I went in not expecting much and enjoyed the hell out of it.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Has Disney released any promo images of whatever white girl they have to play Mulan yet?

My first beef with the Human Centipede is that a centipede is a loving carnivore, it's loving millipedes who eat half-rotten food, and rarely poo poo. But the dude was clearly crazy so maybe he missed basic biology.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mulan is Jamie Chung.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Len posted:

Yugioh sends people to the shadowrealm instead of die.

That's actually a censoring the Japanese version did first to make the story more kid-friendly for merchandising. The original comic is more Saw meets The Mummy (appropriately).

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Byzantine posted:

That's actually a censoring the Japanese version did first to make the story more kid-friendly for merchandising. The original comic is more Saw meets The Mummy (appropriately).

Before the card game stuff started Yugi basically used his powers to punish evil people in ironic ways.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

empty sea posted:

I still can't believe this literal trash show about a sad-eyed, homo vampire and his loser werewolf bud contains what is now my absolute gold-standard for all werewolf transformation scenes, ever. It's not even that good of a show, but Christ the transformations and the season finales are absolutely crazysauce awesome, especially the first season.

HIS FACE. GOT EATEN. OFF. DID I MENTION OFF? OFF, LIKE ALL THE WAY OFF!

There are multiple episodes were nothing loving happens except the vamp and the werewolf brood, smoke cigs and eyefuck each other over messy corpses. And then the writers wake up out of their comas and blow my mind with the ending. Stupid trash show. I wish Netflix had the balls to make them stop eyefucking and start just loving.

Speaking of irrationally irritating, that spoilered scene you're talking about was preceded by Peter dramatically telling Roman to cook a crazy amount of bacon for the fat. Peter was going to use that bacon fat as the way to make that spoilered scene happen. Roman, like a good friend, fried up pounds and pounds of bacon eventually coming up with like four gallon-size mason jars full of the stuff. There is a whole bacon-frying montage scene. When those jars are delivered to Peter he only uses a small handful. About a tenth of one jar.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Byzantine posted:

Man I hate the art style of YuGi. Its like somebody trying to parody anime, except I'm pretty sure they think it looks cool.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
When I was a kid my mind was loving blown by the episode of Sailor Moon where Neflite/Nephrite dies after trying to go straight. He gets his shoulder impaled by a monster's thorn vine spears, the monster team is defeated, he suffers a while, and dies. Molly/Naru cries. End of episode. They turn his blood green, but otherwise he's still battered and bloody, and it's pretty gruesome. May more so than anything like Tien's arm getting bloodlessly punched off in Dragonball Z after the censoring.

For actual thread content I guess it's irritating that they changed all the names to English ones despite still setting it in Tokyo. One bad guy had a gay partner that they changed to a woman in the dub. They also changed Sailors Neptune and Uranus from girlfriends to cousins. Cousins who flirted with each other. A lot.

Dr Christmas has a new favorite as of 07:26 on Jun 2, 2015

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Cowslips Warren posted:

Has Disney released any promo images of whatever white girl they have to play Mulan yet?

Mulan's voice acting cast was all Asian Americans so they're not exactly insensitive about this.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

RagnarokAngel posted:

Mulan's voice acting cast was all Asian Americans so they're not exactly insensitive about this.

I did not realize Eddie Murphy was asian.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Asian, or American?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

mind the walrus posted:

Werewolf Fascist Outpost

My new band name.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Expand your cultural sensitivity.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
This extends from TV and movies but I really can't stand how defense attorneys seem to mostly be depicted as evil, greedy scumbags with no morals who gleefully cheer when they let murderers go free. I know that most cop/court shows are from the perspective of the police/prosecutors but it really pisses me off how we now have this cultural idea that defense attorneys are soulless creatures who don't care about victims.

This is REALLY bad in Law and Order SVU when literally every single defense attorney is portrayed as cartoonishly evil.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

OldTennisCourt posted:

This extends from TV and movies but I really can't stand how defense attorneys seem to mostly be depicted as evil, greedy scumbags with no morals who gleefully cheer when they let murderers go free. I know that most cop/court shows are from the perspective of the police/prosecutors but it really pisses me off how we now have this cultural idea that defense attorneys are soulless creatures who don't care about victims.

This is REALLY bad in Law and Order SVU when literally every single defense attorney is portrayed as cartoonishly evil.

Except for those few times in Law and Order where the vic gets charged or something, and then they bring in the one token good guy defense attorney.

Or one time I think they even had their prosecutor friend switch and play defense for them. (So they wouldn't have to use any of the big bad scary defense attorneys)

My mom is actually a criminal defense attorney so I've seen the complete opposite of that. A bunch of poor people who made a mistake getting totally strongarmed by the government prosecutor just looking to get their fair day in court.

By the way, don't be a criminal defense attorney. poo poo is stressful.

Thing is, I think part of why TV and Movies portray criminal defense attorney as such scumbag rats all the time is because that's how lots of society actually feels. I don't want to get into a political debate in this thread, but the vast majority of all American I've spoken to have no idea what Gideon's law is and think that the state paying for people to get defense attorneys is stupid, because those people are crimials and criminals don't deserve a free defense. :doh: I really really wish I was joking, but seriously, that's what a lot of people believe. Only lawyers and judges seem to appreciate the need for Gideon v Wainwright.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 18:18 on Jun 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Zaphod42 posted:

Except for those few times in Law and Order where the vic gets charged or something, and then they bring in the one token good guy defense attorney.

Or one time I think they even had their prosecutor friend switch and play defense for them. (So they wouldn't have to use any of the big bad scary defense attorneys)

My mom is actually a criminal defense attorney so I've seen the complete opposite of that. A bunch of poor people who made a mistake getting totally strongarmed by the government prosecutor just looking to get their fair day in court.

By the way, don't be a criminal defense attorney. poo poo is stressful.

Thing is, I think part of why TV and Movies portray criminal defense attorney as such scumbag rats all the time is because that's how lots of society actually feels. I don't want to get into a political debate in this thread, but the vast majority of all American I've spoken to have no idea what Gideon's law is and think that the state paying for people to get defense attorneys is stupid, because those people are crimials and criminals don't deserve a free defense. :doh: I really really wish I was joking, but seriously, that's what a lot of people believe. Only lawyers and judges seem to appreciate the need for Gideon v Wainwright.

See also how people are attacking Hilary for doing her job as a defense attorney.