Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

"Hey, FYI, when I'm focusing hard my facial expressions can be a bit muted, like a natural poker face, I just wanted to let you know so that you don't think I'm bored or upset. It's actually the opposite!"

That's not a bad Idea. Someone jokingly called me Spock last week because of it. I'm not the least bit offended, but that's what got me thinking about telling/not telling people in the first place.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

e: Post disclaimer, I realize I am responding to a post which is talking about an actual disorder, and using it as a way to complain about people using too many exclamation points. It's not a great comparison.

Person-to-person I have no problems, but I can feel a bit self conscious in emails. Everyone else has so diluted the meaning of the exclamation mark that I always feel like I'm coming off as dismissive.

"Stripe, we'd like to set up a conference call with the vendor, are you available from 1pm to 4pm today?"
"Sounds good!"
Love that guy, always a team player!

"Stripe, we'd like to set up a conference call with the vendor, are you available from 1pm to 4pm today?"
"Yeah that'll work."
Whoa, what's eating Stripe?

So I find myself just dropping exclamation points at random points in the email to convey my good mood. (e: As an example, even this last sentence. I drat near want to drop an lol and a smiley at the end of it to convey the light hearted nature of the comment. Read on its own, it looks like I'm just droning or being sarcastic. It is funny to me though, my coworkers were like oh man Stripe's so good at sarcasm, and I'm like, I'm almost never sarcastic, which of course sounds even MORE sarcastic... But trust me, if I say "That sounds like a lot of fun.", I actually mean it, I can't really help that other people say "That sounds like a lot of fun!!")

I'm guilty of this too. And for my own sanity I always read emails in a positive tone unless I have reason to think otherwise.

But at least it's not as bad as my coworker who uses Comic Sans for all of his emails, and often uses multiple exclamation points on one sentence, and uses the grocer's apostrophe at every opportunity. He's lucky we don't have any grammar nazis around. He is a very upbeat guy, but still.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
I'm interviewing candidates currently, and I can't help but feel bad for the people that want to have the kind of role we're hiring for (Ops team for a SaaS company), but only have experience in more traditional enterprise type environments. They clearly want to have the type of job we're hiring for, but they're always going to lose out to the few people who have more relevant experience.

Sometimes I wonder how the hell I managed to get this job in the first place and feel pretty lucky.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

What's a traditional environment?

I'm assuming VMware cluster(SR+HA) and whatever on top.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Tab8715 posted:

What's a traditional environment?

I'm assuming VMware cluster(SR+HA) and whatever on top.

Yeah the Internal IT that keeps the servers for one company functioning, and once it's working they're barely allowed to touch it.

edit: It probably worth mentioning that we're looking to emulate places like Netflix when it comes to our infrastructure, and there are not many companies at all doing what we're doing in this country.

NZAmoeba fucked around with this message at 08:19 on May 31, 2015

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

NZAmoeba posted:

I'm interviewing candidates currently, and I can't help but feel bad for the people that want to have the kind of role we're hiring for (Ops team for a SaaS company), but only have experience in more traditional enterprise type environments. They clearly want to have the type of job we're hiring for, but they're always going to lose out to the few people who have more relevant experience.

Sometimes I wonder how the hell I managed to get this job in the first place and feel pretty lucky.
Ops in the enterprise is a shitshow because of how segmented and specialized everyone's roles are, due to the enterprise obsession with creating centers of excellence for every stupid possible thing. In an interview at my last job, I asked a guy from EMC to describe the Linux boot process and he literally had no idea because in three years managing Linux servers, he had never actually made a single Linux system boot. Need a reboot? That's another team. System not coming back up? That's another team too.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Hungry Computer posted:

What's your opinions on not mentioning having a neurological disorder to a potential employer, even if it doesn't really affect your job performance?

Vulture Culture has it right: it's none of their loving business. If you can do the job and you can convince/demonstrate to them that you can do the job, medical conditions you happen to have are not relevant.

If you get the job and some of your colleagues are put off, you can explain to them on an individual basis (again, probably best to keep it vague and just explain that no, really, you're actually happy or amused, your face just doesn't do a good job of conveying that fact).

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps

NZAmoeba posted:

I'm interviewing candidates currently, and I can't help but feel bad for the people that want to have the kind of role we're hiring for (Ops team for a SaaS company), but only have experience in more traditional enterprise type environments.

You are describing and confirming the exact fear that keeps me up nights. The longer it takes me to break into that area, the harder it will be. And the less my current experience will matter.

Hire me in Melbourne NZAmoeba. I'll work first line, I dont care, I just gotta get in the door of that sweet Cloud Ops action.

Edit - oh god I checked your careers page and there's customer billing jobs with debt collection elements. I'm not sure I'm that desperate yet.

Swink fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jun 1, 2015

high six
Feb 6, 2010
So looks like the new job is going to be much quieter than the chaotic frenzied hellhole that was my last job at that crappy MSP. So yay plenty of certification study time.

Also, saw that Gog.com position. Would be awesome. I'll probably apply even though I've been at this job for a week.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

NZAmoeba posted:

edit: It probably worth mentioning that we're looking to emulate places like Netflix when it comes to our infrastructure, and there are not many companies at all doing what we're doing in this country.

Curious, what does a Wanted Ad for position look like?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Is there a size or capitalization that a company can reach where it stops bending over backwards to please every single customer? Small companies need every customer, I can understand it. But I work for a company so large that you've used my product today, so when one customer sends my director an email which says "I'm tired of putting up with this crap", I'm like, I can solve that right now for you bud...

e: And it turns out that to placate, they gave them a year for free. :rolleyes:

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 1, 2015

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Is there a size or capitalization that a company can reach where it stops bending over backwards to please every single customer? Small companies need every customer, I can understand it

They really don't, at least they shouldn't. I have no problem telling a customer to walk if they're being a bunch of asshats. Its the only thing that keeps this entire thing manageable and doesn't burn out my guys or me.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Probably depends on the market or product. I wish more companies did this though, there are such things as unprofitable customers and companies should cut them loose when possible.

We generally don't dismiss customers, we talk them into 6 and 7 figure engagements to make our product do what they want :)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

We piss ours off through sheer incompetence until they walk away and then our CEO bends over and throws poo poo at them in an attempt to make them stay, while addressing none of the underlying issues that hosed them off in the first place.

Works really well.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

:yotj:

They made an offer which is...45% or so more money than I'm making now, and that's not counting benefits. I was worried about leaving my current job, but once I heard the offer that pretty much went away.

The only things I'm worried about now are being out of my league and it being a contract job. I'm not worried that I'll never know how to do it, but that it will take me too long. I'll have to learn basically everything, as this is server stuff and I don't really have server experience. Even with AD I only have minimal experience (I've never created an AD account, for instance).

I have one question. I'm going on vacation on the 7th (Sunday). I didn't get the offer yet (probably tomorrow or the next day, it's officially coming from the firm I'll be a contractor for) and then once I accept it, they're doing a background check. That's going to take a week or two. Is is dickish to put in two weeks notice on Friday the 5th, take a vacation for a week and then have my last day be the 19th? A week of that two weeks I wouldn't even be there. This vacation has been planned for 5 or so months already, the job thing happened within the last month. The new job is pretty flexible about start time--they want me in there asap, but they told me I can give whatever notice I need to, no need to burn bridges on their account.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Congrats! Server stuff will come to you extremely fast once you can actually get hands on.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

myron cope posted:

:yotj:

They made an offer which is...45% or so more money than I'm making now, and that's not counting benefits. I was worried about leaving my current job, but once I heard the offer that pretty much went away.

The only things I'm worried about now are being out of my league and it being a contract job. I'm not worried that I'll never know how to do it, but that it will take me too long. I'll have to learn basically everything, as this is server stuff and I don't really have server experience. Even with AD I only have minimal experience (I've never created an AD account, for instance).

I have one question. I'm going on vacation on the 7th (Sunday). I didn't get the offer yet (probably tomorrow or the next day, it's officially coming from the firm I'll be a contractor for) and then once I accept it, they're doing a background check. That's going to take a week or two. Is is dickish to put in two weeks notice on Friday the 5th, take a vacation for a week and then have my last day be the 19th? A week of that two weeks I wouldn't even be there. This vacation has been planned for 5 or so months already, the job thing happened within the last month. The new job is pretty flexible about start time--they want me in there asap, but they told me I can give whatever notice I need to, no need to burn bridges on their account.

Congrats!

I'd make the effort to have a full two weeks of working and off-loading, but that depends on your load/tasks and how likely they are to say "Oh, that's your two-week notice? Give me your badge, there's the door, you can pick up your paycheck at the front desk tomorrow morning" or something like that.

Somebody gave me the advice to quit on a Monday morning, as to not potentially ruin someone's weekend. Do it in the morning, after they've gotten in and dealt with the first pile of email, so they can make the phone calls/emails/meetings they need to do to discuss your impending separation. At the same time, I'd be very communicative with your new place. "I'm going to put in my two-week on date X, but since I have access to sensitive information, there's the possibility they'll walk me out that day. I'll let you know."

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

skipdogg posted:

We stopped trying to explain what I do to people a long time ago. My wife tells people I'm an "IT Guy", and I tell people I do "computer stuff" for large companies. People usually leave it alone after that.

The large companies part is my way out of helping them with PC/Printer/other help requests.

Because I hate the DC area trope of "So what do you do for a living?" I generally try to dance around the subject of my career as much as possible, but when I'm pressed and reveal that I'm a network security consultant I usually get something akin to the following:

"So you like remove viruses from peoples computers?"

"Would you mind taking a look at my computer? It's been running slow so I think I have a virus."

"Is that like a security guard for a local TV station?"

"So how do we prevent things like the Sony hack?"

Unrelated, I sat through a 6 hour long seminar today given by two of our emerging technologies architects on VMWare VNX. Fascinating from a conceptual standpoint, and I completely understand the appeal and why it's important, but I still find virtualization to be boring as gently caress and SDN as a whole to be in a similar position to networking in the 1980s, where Xerox, Bell, IBM, Apple, Banyan, and ARPA all had their own proprietary network stacks that were completely incompatible with one another. Until there's a ratified standard, non-Amazon/Google/MS/Rackspace customers are going to be put off by the lack of vendor integration, aside from possibly the DFW portion that doesn't require drastic changes to their current network and from which they can reap immediate benefit.

psydude fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jun 2, 2015

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Tab8715 posted:

Curious, what does a Wanted Ad for position look like?

I hate the title, "Infrastructure Engineer" sounds too much like SANs and networks, both of which we operate at arms length.

https://www.xero.com/nz/about/careers/job/owJW0fwV/

quote:

At Xero, we're taking the world by storm, developing beautiful online accounting software that is accessible anytime, anywhere.

As Infrastructure Engineer, you’ll maintain the operations of all services across the Xero platform, while working with developers to help build a world leading product.

The infrastructure team manages 100’s of terabytes of customer data through world class data centre and infrastructure operations that underpin our live services. The data centre typology is geographically dispersed across NZ, AU and US regions and we run a hybrid of private and public cloud services.

We're looking for passionate people who want to be a part of an accounting software revolution. You need to be super comfortable in a fast-paced, high-growth company. As part of a global team, you will need to interact effectively with Platform Services teams in Wellington, Auckland & Denver, USA.

To be successful in this role you will need to:

Ideally a minimum of 2 years experience as an Systems/Infrastructure Engineer

Provide hands-on experience managing infrastructure in a high-availability environment

Support for all Production services & applications across the Xero platform

Be able to recommend and implement software and hardware solutions to meet business needs.

Ensure operational issues are resolved in a timely and cost-effective manner

Have operational experience of running a large wintel environment

Have a good understanding or have worked with Cloud technologies, such as AWS or Azure

Redhat Linux and/or powershell skills would also be beneficial

This role will involve on-call availability and periodic overtime. If you are ready to take on a new challenge in a fast-paced organisation where the sky is the limit we want to hear from you. Please apply online.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

psydude posted:

Unrelated, I sat through a 6 hour long seminar today given by two of our emerging technologies architects on VMWare VNX. Fascinating from a conceptual standpoint, and I completely understand the appeal and why it's important, but I still find virtualization to be boring as gently caress and SDN as a whole to be in a similar position to networking in the 1980s, where Xerox, Bell, IBM, Apple, Banyan, and ARPA all had their own proprietary network stacks that were completely incompatible with one another. Until there's a ratified standard, non-Amazon/Google/MS/Rackspace customers are going to be put off by the lack of vendor integration, aside from possibly the DFW portion that doesn't require drastic changes to their current network and from which they can reap immediate benefit.
RFC 7348 VXLAN is kind of the least common denominator and is pretty well-supported between vendors -- Cisco actually wrote the original VXLAN implementation for Open vSwitch, though I don't know if that was ever merged. the incompatibilities mostly arise when you start trying to make different management stacks play nice together.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

psydude posted:

Because I hate the DC area trope of "So what do you do for a living?" I generally try to dance around the subject of my career as much as possible, but when I'm pressed and reveal that I'm a network security consultant I usually get something akin to the following:

"So you like remove viruses from peoples computers?"

"Would you mind taking a look at my computer? It's been running slow so I think I have a virus."

"Is that like a security guard for a local TV station?"

"So how do we prevent things like the Sony hack?"

That's a pretty good one.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Vulture Culture posted:

RFC 7348 VXLAN is kind of the least common denominator and is pretty well-supported between vendors -- Cisco actually wrote the original VXLAN implementation for Open vSwitch, though I don't know if that was ever merged. the incompatibilities mostly arise when you start trying to make different management stacks play nice together.

VXLAN and openflow-compatible stuff wins. The Cisco stuff got merged as the reference implementation in 1.10

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
A ticket came in: It looks like conficker but it's on a patched windows 7 machine with up to date antivirus.

Are there any viruses going around these days that have similar symptoms to conficker? This one's driving me nuts.

Edit: Dammit, wrong thread. I'll chalk it up to stress from cleaning this poo poo up.

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jun 2, 2015

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

psydude posted:

It also has really questionable application for anyone not in the service provider space and yet everyone is pushing it on enterprise customers. We're in for a rocky few years I think.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Ages ago I posted how my request for a ticketing system and some semblance of order was denied.

Well, low and behold, the service quality of this department has gotten so poo poo that $manager has decided that a proper ticketing system is the way to go. Happy days.

I'm trialling Zendesk, which I like. Does anyone have advice for succesfully running a ticketing system for the IT department only. The default settings are very much slanted towards a million emails to customers for every update. At this stage we want to run it silently. Is it just going to be a lot of copying email bodies into the ticket body?

The workflow for issues right now is ten emails go back and forth between me and the user, once completed I either paste or write a summary of what occurred into the ticket comment and close it.

Is there a smarter way to do it?

prak
Jan 3, 2006

---------
Nap Ghost

Che Delilas posted:

If you get the job and some of your colleagues are put off, you can explain to them on an individual basis (again, probably best to keep it vague and just explain that no, really, you're actually happy or amused, your face just doesn't do a good job of conveying that fact).
"In childhood I saved a blind kid, saving an old guy, from getting hit by a truck delivering Botox. That was the last time I ever smiled; now I can play professional poker without having to wear sunglasses and a silly hat indoors."

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Swink posted:

Ages ago I posted how my request for a ticketing system and some semblance of order was denied.

Well, low and behold, the service quality of this department has gotten so poo poo that $manager has decided that a proper ticketing system is the way to go. Happy days.

I'm trialling Zendesk, which I like. Does anyone have advice for succesfully running a ticketing system for the IT department only. The default settings are very much slanted towards a million emails to customers for every update. At this stage we want to run it silently. Is it just going to be a lot of copying email bodies into the ticket body?

The workflow for issues right now is ten emails go back and forth between me and the user, once completed I either paste or write a summary of what occurred into the ticket comment and close it.

At my new job I bought Zendesk just for myself and manually enter in tickets as they come, but I only get like 5 a week and this is more for my own record keeping than anything else. You can set it up so that tickets are generated by emails sent to a certain address and then just turn off any replies to the users. Or I think you can also create users but not enter in an email address for them so that there is no address to respond to. Either way I've been pretty impressed with Zendesk. If you talk to a rep there they can probably give you some better info. They were helpful the one time I talked to them about pricing.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

prak posted:

"In childhood I saved a blind kid, saving an old guy, from getting hit by a truck delivering Botox. That was the last time I ever smiled; now I can play professional poker without having to wear sunglasses and a silly hat indoors."

"I'm like Daredevil, but more obscure. You've probably never heard of me" *puffs on ecig*

E: Actual content:

Lately a lot of employees here have been opting for a Surface Pro 3 instead of a new laptop. The old version of Altiris we have doesn't really work with Win 8.1, so we've just been leaving the stock Win 8.1 pro on them. I wonder how many are going to enroll themselves in the Windows 10 upgrade when they get the prompt this month. We haven't yet had any internal discussion on how were going to handle Windows 10 upgrades, and we don't even officially support Windows 8 yet.

Squatch Ambassador fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jun 2, 2015

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Swink posted:

I've used a few, and the ones that are successful operate as a portal for techs to communicate with customers. Typically they have some mechanism where the tech can email the system (referencing the ticket) and the system will take the email, and forward it to the customer, and then they respond, it does the same in the other direction. Some you can just log into and directly email clients from it.

What you want really is to make sure that whatever you get, everyone is using it. Train the users and customers and just get them on it. Even if it's not 100% featured the way you want, just get people using it and then a bit of time you'll figure out what you want out of it.

Also, make sure you remove any superfluous fields from any forms anyone can fill out. My company uses JIRA, and they have no idea what they want on a ticket, so there's like 100 different fields and no clear direction on what to use. Do we use "Customer" "Affected Customer" or "Customer Contact" to link it to a client? Is it "GSS" "PSG" "GSS Support" "GSS Support Request"? It's just nonsense and no one owns it.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Swink posted:

Jira is extremely my poo poo for this. They'll host the whole product for you for $10 monthly (or $10 one time to host it yourself - it's a Tomcat server). This is if and only if you have ten or fewer users. Any more than that and you're looking at a giant bill.

I mostly take calls so I don't have the email handler set up for auto-ticket creation, but it looks easy.

edit: Tony Ives brought up a problem with having too much info in your ticket submission field. I think you can only assign these by project workflow - I keep two projects, for Help Desk and Repair Shop, with Repair Shop requiring serial number and make, etc.

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jun 2, 2015

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I haven't used Jira's service desk offering yet, but Jira as a whole is very powerful, but probably overkill. I prefer a simpler help desk solution.

If you know or love Jira though, it is the poo poo. There's a reason Atlassian can charge what they do for their software.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Round 2 interview for a small MSP went well. Figure I'll be brought back for a 3rd and final round and finally yotj

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Woohoo company gave me a sub to Safari Books.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

skipdogg posted:

I haven't used Jira's service desk offering yet, but Jira as a whole is very powerful, but probably overkill. I prefer a simpler help desk solution.

If you know or love Jira though, it is the poo poo. There's a reason Atlassian can charge what they do for their software.
It's like paying IBM because basic things like LDAP group synchronization are still, in 2015, fundamentally broken unless you pay extra for their SSO product

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Their software is Java based, and Java has always been poo poo with AD and LDAP. At least I've always had problems with it (nested groups are probably what you're talking about)

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Roargasm posted:

Jira is extremely my poo poo for this. They'll host the whole product for you for $10 monthly (or $10 one time to host it yourself - it's a Tomcat server). This is if and only if you have ten or fewer users. Any more than that and you're looking at a giant bill.

I mostly take calls so I don't have the email handler set up for auto-ticket creation, but it looks easy.

edit: Tony Ives brought up a problem with having too much info in your ticket submission field. I think you can only assign these by project workflow - I keep two projects, for Help Desk and Repair Shop, with Repair Shop requiring serial number and make, etc.

My last job used Microsoft Dynamic for tickets, and the tickets had about three hundred fields, and they'd change daily as the managers would battle over what to put on the tickets. When i was a manager of that place for a week my first action was to screenshot the ticket and mark it up and mail it to the director with a bunch of markups. "If you want to reviewing our performance using this system you need to tell us what you want. This ticket is insane and impossible to fill out."

Then I quit.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Thing that will make my life easier: SSH native in PowerShell http://blogs.msdn.com/b/looking_for...-shell-ssh.aspx

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
Anyone here ever work for Expedient? Made it through the phone screen and it sounds like an awesome place to get in. In person interview tomorrow.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

skipdogg posted:

Their software is Java based, and Java has always been poo poo with AD and LDAP. At least I've always had problems with it (nested groups are probably what you're talking about)
No, they literally just don't bother checking the primary group on the user at all, and instead only return groups that the user is memberOf. It has nothing to do with Java and everything to do with a Confluence ticket being open for eight years, needing a twenty-line fix, and nobody giving enough of a poo poo to actually do it because they simply do not care about bugs or features that don't affect their hosted products.

They did fix it on Crowd, though!

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
Arghh! I hate filling out those loving employment applications, especially if it's for a former employer. Shouldn't you still have all that poo poo on file still? It's only been 10 months since you guys traded me to the contract prime for a couple positions of your choice.

Anyways, I filled it out after speaking with the project PM for a Virtualization position out at Langley AFB in Virginia. The task lead is apparently some picky individual and tossed a dozen or so resumes out because he didn't like how they were formatted, then added a half dozen more because they were completely unqualified. So for this position a total of 3 people have been interviewed, and one of them had fabricated his resume and got pissed on right off the bat. Project PM was asked by his boss what the problem was and said he wanted me in the position, and the company was putting pressure on the task lead to make a decision already, and when he waffled they made the decision for him. They were all set to let me know my start date when the project PM was like "Whoa guys! You need to talk to him about the pay, because what you were paying him before is not likely to be accepted now." He's right - those fuckers gave me a 45% paycut as a thank you for all my hard work on the previous contract, so I jumped when I got a chance to take another position on the contract (with the contract prime) for an 85% pay increase.

I told the project PM that a 15% pay increase over what I'm making now will get my interest, and a 25% pay increase will get my attention (thank you for that wonderful line from Django Unchained Mr DiCaprio). No way I can take anything less than 25% over what I'm making now since I'd have to break my lease ($1250 penalty), move myself, and then pay for security deposit/1st/Last month's rent without any assistance from the company. Not to mention Hampton Roads, VA has a 15% higher cost-of-living over Dayton, OH, and the taxes are a lot higher.

So glad I managed to convince the contract prime to move me to the Virtualization position for the current contract in a couple weeks. Experience AND a normal work schedule (no more 12 hour days on the weekend!) was too much temptation to pass up. And since we've been told (although it hasn't been confirmed) that we're going to be here beyond November 30th, it sort of works out perfectly for me. A year as a Virtualization admin should be mighty helpful in the job search when I finally do manage to head down to Florida. Plus I anticipate having a few more certs under my belt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Let's say some other company's lawyers are theoretically asking us to hold documents for discovery. We all have Office 365 E3 Plan and I figured out how to search the criteria they ask for, and how to put a legal hold on that search.

1) Is that sufficient or do I need to put a hold on everything in the company? Never done one of these before and even the lawyer's not exactly certain, he's not tech savvy.

2) The search found emails back since the dawn of the company. Obviously I'm not going to tamper with anything during a legal discovery, but after everything is said and done, is it kosher to set super-old emails to expire? Let's say because I don't want gargantuan PSTs on people's SSDs, for example?