Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Souma's gonna have an almighty cooking spirit in his personal chef's knife and it will do battle against rival spirits *black hole of endless Bleach plot twists*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Neo_Crimson posted:

I'm getting some Bleach vibes from all these new characters.

All of them look like Bleach characters except the one guy that looks like Iruka from Naruto for some reason.

I think its a fake-out to make you think the blonde guy is No. 1, but my wild guess is its the smiley wavy-haired cat girl.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

All of them look like Bleach characters except the one guy that looks like Iruka from Naruto for some reason.

I think its a fake-out to make you think the blonde guy is No. 1, but my wild guess is its the smiley wavy-haired cat girl.

Every single one of them literally looks like "shonen trope X" to an absurd degree, like the author just went down a checklist of how to appeal to everyone.

You have

- blond glasses wearing cold business guy
- Overly excited blond/black hair kid with the catch phrase
- Stern and humorless glasses girl wearing pigtails
- Guy with mohawk carrying a sword/massive cooking implement
- Reserved and nervous looking girl clutching stuffed animal (who I assume she will talk to during cooking)
- Eager looking dark haired female with hair covering one eye
- Stoic guy wearing a funny hat and not wearing the uniform correctly
- Blond prince like guy who is clearly the best

edit: Well the spin-off is shaping up to make no sense. Apparently the 79th class top graduate, Shinomiya, isn't able to find a job working in any kitchen and is fired after the first "mistake". The cooking school that graduates in single digits and once you graduate you are a world renowned expert.

I'm starting to think the author is coming perilously close to Bleach level "eh gently caress it" levels of contradicting himself.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 19, 2015

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2015-05-17/food-wars-star-yoshitsugu-matsuoka-continues-his-cooking-quest/.88221

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

pentyne posted:

edit: Well the spin-off is shaping up to make no sense. Apparently the 79th class top graduate, Shinomiya, isn't able to find a job working in any kitchen and is fired after the first "mistake". The cooking school that graduates in single digits and once you graduate you are a world renowned expert.

I'm starting to think the author is coming perilously close to Bleach level "eh gently caress it" levels of contradicting himself.

The spin-off is written by someone else (who is obviously trying to make it more realistic and less completely shonen-over-the-top).

I mean, yeah, he's the 1st Seat of the Elite Ten. There's no way he'd get fired or just randomly travel somewhere and nobody would know who he is, at least in the Shokugeki universe.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

The spin-off is written by someone else (who is obviously trying to make it more realistic and less completely shonen-over-the-top).

Why would anyone want to make the Shokugeki universe less Shonen? That's one of the reasons why the manga is great.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Why would anyone want to make the Shokugeki universe less Shonen? That's one of the reasons why the manga is great.

I don't even know. I guess they wanted to show Shinomiya struggling which is entirely unrealistic unless they make the school less badass.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I'm just going to pretend that everyone he tried to work for early on was horribly racist. France isn't exactly great at race relations, after all.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I thought it was implied he was sabotaged.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Tarezax posted:

I'm just going to pretend that everyone he tried to work for early on was horribly racist. France isn't exactly great at race relations, after all.

Wasn't this exactly the case, as per flashbacks in the main series?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Tarezax posted:

Mraagvpeine posted:

I thought it was implied he was sabotaged.

I thought both of these were pretty clear. He's more struggling with interpersonal stuff than actual cooking

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Tarezax posted:

Its not unreasonable to simply assume that they're trying to paint the French as racist. Its not exactly uncommon in manga for foreigners to be racist against the hapless Japanese heroes.

Neo_Crimson posted:

Wasn't this exactly the case, as per flashbacks in the main series?

Sort of. He couldn't win the "best chef in Paris award" which is a far cry from "getting fired from random restaurants for minor mistakes and sabotage." He also had the problem of the mean Frenchies refusing to follow his recipes because, again, he was just another hapless Japanese hero and foreigners are bullies. He ended up being more of a jerkass to compensate and won the award anyways.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 20, 2015

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Guys did you completely forget the main manga where it was explicitly stated that he became (more of) an rear end in a top hat because of all the people sabotaging him while in France?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

Its not unreasonable to simply assume that they're trying to paint the French as racist. Its not exactly uncommon in manga for foreigners to be racist against the hapless Japanese heroes.

It honestly works perfectly well in the context of France.

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

Oh Snapple! posted:

It honestly works perfectly well in the context of France.

I don't even think you have to say "France".

Any high-stakes occupation is going to be populated by enormous quantities of arrogant assholes.

See Kitchen Confidential.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

buzmeg posted:

I don't even think you have to say "France".

Any high-stakes occupation is going to be populated by enormous quantities of arrogant assholes.

See Kitchen Confidential.

Anthony Bourdain once said that you have to be an rear end in a top hat if you want to survive a professional kitchen.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Neo_Crimson posted:

Anthony Bourdain once said that you have to be an rear end in a top hat if you want to survive a professional kitchen.

Sez you. =D

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

Ummmm, doesn't this character have at least one scene where she snaps and terrifies everybody in range?

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Neo_Crimson posted:

Well, let's be clear here, Bourdain wasn't advocating racism; there's a clear difference between being a racist gently caress and being an arrogant rear end in a top hat.

You kind of have to be an arrogant rear end in a top hat to be a top pro chef because at the top levels you have to make sure everyone under you is rising to an almost impossible standard. There is simply no room to coddle mistakes in a haute cuisine restaurant in the middle of service.

However, there is no justification for being a racist rear end in a top hat. Screaming at your line cook because he burnt a bechamel is fine. Screaming that he could never make a bechamel properly because he's ~some racial epithet~ is definitely not.

It's funny because there have been a ton of Japanese people apprenticing under French chefs in France since the 90's. Literally every famous French restaurant has at least a few Japanese people working there. I'm sure they experience their fair share of racism, but Japanese chefs going to France is definitely not a rare thing for either country. Plus, Japanese food is trendy as hell over in France right now, while classical French is really falling out of favor.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Yeah but the people reading Japanese manga expect noble Japanese heroes to be treated horribly by racist as fucker foreigners until said foreigners are humiliated and put in their place by true honorable Japanese talent.

Shokugeki no Soma has focused pretty heavily on shounen as gently caress cooking battles but even the brief mention of Shinomiya's troubles in France were extremely implausible because if your line cooks are changing recipes you can fire them that minute and find dozens of people willing to replace them. But no, it was "Oh your Jappo sense of taste is off, we refined French prefer superior flavor"

pentyne fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 21, 2015

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Well presumably things are better at Souma's time, IIRC Shinomiya himself points it out how many japanese chefs apprentice in france.

Shinomiya's story is set 10 to 15 years before, though.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

She's the biggest rear end in a top hat of that group.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Chaliapin Steak Recipe シャリアピンステーキ 作り方 レシピ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgHx0zA_dS4

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

What cut of beef works best for that kind of steak?

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Well, in that video, they used sirloin.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

What cut of beef works best for that kind of steak?

I imagine a cheap thin cut like sirloin or skirt steak based both on the show and because there's not a lot of big thick steaks in Japnese cuisine due to lack of space for farmland.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
http://www.readmanga.today/shokugeki-no-soma/119/all-pages

New chapter from the crappy translators (they were fairly ok this time around though)

Totally shonen.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Huh, wasn't expecting it to end that soon.

I'm surprised we didn't get more on the Elite 10, I was expecting to at least learn the main quirks of all of them. But as is, we basically just learn about number 1 and the rest of the 2nd years. Which I suppose makes sense, since we already knew half of them and they're the group closest to the 1st years, so they'll be the first to go anyway. Wanted to know more about huge sword guy though. :(

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Someone please make a "Joy of Cooking" narrated by Hinako, thanks in advance.

Pringleton
Jul 21, 2008
Yo, I dunno if it's been mentioned before, but the chorus of the anime ED is catchy as all get out.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Huh, wasn't expecting it to end that soon.

I'm surprised we didn't get more on the Elite 10, I was expecting to at least learn the main quirks of all of them. But as is, we basically just learn about number 1 and the rest of the 2nd years. Which I suppose makes sense, since we already knew half of them and they're the group closest to the 1st years, so they'll be the first to go anyway. Wanted to know more about huge sword guy though. :(

Nah, they're just setting up Yugioh as an immediate enemy. I'm guessing Eizan is going to be around longer term if he's not even being mentioned despite nominally being the enemy of the last arc.

Speaking of which:

Chapter 120: http://www.readmanga.today/shokugeki-no-soma/120/19

Glad to see they cooled Erina's hot-bloodedness down some.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Talk about a strict dress code.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Well it's nice to finally see that having a expertly trained staff is essential to advance in the field of high end cooking and just being a super-chef isn't enough.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

pentyne posted:

Well it's nice to finally see that having a expertly trained staff is essential to advance in the field of high end cooking and just being a super-chef isn't enough.

My guess is that this is going to be part of Soma's "you suck" speech at the end. "You don't need 50 dudes and a ton of resources to be good at cooking, Yugioh."

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Those dudes don't look like students at all. Also, with the way Kuga was going on about spice it seems like he'd be a more fitting opponent for Akira. And wasn't Akira supposed to get a shot at getting into the 10 or something from winning the Autumn tournament?

The festival seems like an interesting idea for an arc, since they're not going to compete based necessarily on who makes the better dishes but on business strategies. Which is neat, because I was worried they were going to have a mini-tournament in the festival or something, and I could honestly go without another cooking contest for a while longer.

Edit:

Angry Grimace posted:

My guess is that this is going to be part of Soma's "you suck" speech at the end. "You don't need 50 dudes and a ton of resources to be good at cooking, Yugioh."

Soma's gonna gather up the rest of the Polar Star guys as his team, and the moral will be that teamwork and having a close bond with your fellow cooks is more useful than perfectly training your team to do everything the same way you would. Because then they can help each other improve on the dishes or something.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 23:48 on May 30, 2015

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Those dudes don't look like students at all. Also, with the way Kuga was going on about spice it seems like he'd be a more fitting opponent for Akira. And wasn't Akira supposed to get a shot at getting into the 10 or something from winning the Autumn tournament?

No, the only connection to the "10" from the Autumn tournament is that most of the current members participated in previous ones. That being said, the next few arcs should show some of the ways that Soma and the other first years trying to break through.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I can see him trying to set up a Polar Star Dorm stand and using variety as his weapon. I'm also sure that barring some trademark Soma crazy bullshit, his best and only hope will be to make a smaller number of unique and very high quality dishes that he sells at an exorbitant price. He's simply not going to have the army of cooking goons able to make identical high-quality dishes, so he can't compete in volume.

Basically, I want Soma to come up with a $1,000 desert and use the insane opulence and wealth of everything even remotely associated with his school to his benefit. Or maybe he can sell the recipes to the dishes he comes up with, and count that as revenue from his stand? Anyway, this is a new type of challenge than just dish vs. dish, which is a nice change of pace, and I'm looking forward to seeing what he comes up with.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Didn't the judges during that tournament they had specifically mention how this year's crop was totally better than other years and got higher scores? That makes the whole "2nd year elite 10 person talking down on best 1st years" thing seem kind of silly.

Also, unless things get disrupted, the current line-up sort of implies that Isshiki is the best 2nd year and will be seat 1 next year.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 1, 2015

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

If Soma were in the Elite 10 and has that money and power, I wonder what he would do with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Ytlaya posted:

Didn't the judges during that tournament they had specifically mention how this year's crop was totally better than other years and got higher scores? That makes the whole "2nd year elite 10 person talking down on best 1st years" thing seem kind of silly.

Also, unless things get disrupted, the current line-up sort of implies that Isshiki is the best 2nd year and will be seat 1 next year.

Even if the class average is better the Elite 10 are such outliers the trope can still apply.