Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Old Man Logan was great, but when was the last time they showed Wolverine just blatantly dicing people up? Is this a recent thing? IIRC, usually panels with violence are just claws or swipes, maybe some blood. OLM had lots of body parts flying. Doesn't bother me, just wondering what the impetus for the change was.

Infinity Gauntlet was great from start to finish. Can't wait for the next one to drop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Old Man Logan is a more mature take on the character, so there's no real reason to censor the violence. It's kind of refreshing honestly.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Old Man Logan was great, but when was the last time they showed Wolverine just blatantly dicing people up? Is this a recent thing? IIRC, usually panels with violence are just claws or swipes, maybe some blood. OLM had lots of body parts flying. Doesn't bother me, just wondering what the impetus for the change was.

Infinity Gauntlet was great from start to finish. Can't wait for the next one to drop.

That was the original OML gimmick. The writer just liked gore and poo poo. So they probably carried it over to mimmick the feel of the story.

Its weird hearing the story is good, considering how bad the original was.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

actually, would i need to know anything from the original story or is just "wolverine is clint eastwood in post-apocalypse marvel" all i need to know?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

That was the original OML gimmick. The writer just liked gore and poo poo. So they probably carried it over to mimmick the feel of the story.

Its weird hearing the story is good, considering how bad the original was.

Yeah the original OML gimmick was Wolverine going around and dicing up people and killing them, and not literally the opposite of that.

FutureFriend posted:

actually, would i need to know anything from the original story or is just "wolverine is clint eastwood in post-apocalypse marvel" all i need to know?

Basically all the supervillians were like "wait there are a billion of us" and swapped archenemies around and killed all of superheroes except a few. Wolverine was tricked by Mysterio into killing all the X-men and made a vow of pacificism after that. Blind Hawkeye shows up and they undertake a cross country journey of adventure in which Logan's new found philosophy is seriously challenged. Ultimately he recants..

zoux fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 29, 2015

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

FutureFriend posted:

There's a recap at the beginning that explains the premise.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

zoux posted:

Basically all the supervillians were like "wait there are a billion of us" and swapped archenemies around and killed all of superheroes except a few. Wolverine was tricked by Mysterio into killing all the X-men and made a vow of pacificism after that. Blind Hawkeye shows up and they undertake a cross country journey of adventure in which Logan's new found philosophy is seriously challenged. Ultimately he recants..

Important note, Emma Frost married DOOM to create a safe place for Mutants. Also, Symbiot T-rex.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also you should read it because despite what the We Hate Mark MIllar Automatically Stinkface and Can Never Shut the gently caress Up About It Brigade say, it's actually quite good.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

zoux posted:

Yeah the original OML gimmick was Wolverine going around and dicing up people and killing them, and not literally the opposite of that.

I said that yes.

Also I don't particularly hate Mark Millar(I don't know much about him really), but that story was just bad.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Old Man Logan was the best issue of The Dark Tower that I've read in a long time.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

I said that yes.

Also I don't particularly hate Mark Millar(I don't know much about him really), but that story was just bad.

Yeah and I was saying that the whole story was Wolverine refusing to use violence against overwhelming justification to do so, but with cutting sarcasm.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

CharlestheHammer posted:

I said that yes.

Old Man Logan is full of a lot of Millar bullshit, but it's probably one of the more readable things he's ever done so if you didn't like it, and I completely understand why, I would suggest not familiarizing yourself with his other stuff. Especially his creator owned stuff where he doesn't have to funnel his idea through someone else.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Deadpool posted:

Old Man Logan is full of a lot of Millar bullshit, but it's probably one of the more readable things he's ever done so if you didn't like it, and I completely understand why, I would suggest not familiarizing yourself with his other stuff. Especially his creator owned stuff where he doesn't have to funnel his idea through someone else.

What MIllar bullshit are you referring to specifically with respect to OML?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

zoux posted:

Yeah and I was saying that the whole story was Wolverine refusing to use violence against overwhelming justification to do so, but with cutting sarcasm.

The pacifist thing was actually rather neat, but I don; think the dude was talking about Wolverine in particular but the bloody and gory way that OML presented itself. Which didn't need to exist so I assume is just the authors thing.

Though my main problem is that the story seemed more focused on the worldbuilding than the plot, which wasn't that interesting, hth.

Plus everything to do with the hulks was just awful.

Deadpool posted:

Yeah I am not a big author guy, so unless you are a big name I probably won't know who you are.

Though didn't he do something with Civil War? I know he did the Ultimates. Which I liked a decent bit.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

i'm not all that fond of millar myself, but if you guys say it's good, i'll pick it up next time it's on sale.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

zoux posted:

What MIllar bullshit are you referring to specifically with respect to OML?

Spider-Bitch, the incest Hulk family.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
As someone with no background in OML I thought it was a good issue, although he twisted my main man Punisher into the bad guys :(

Then again violence in a comic doesn't bother me, so...

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I don't think "Old Man Logan" would be anywhere near as tolerable were it not for Steve McNiven's art.

Yeah, Millar's a little more reined-in than usual, "Spider-Bitch" and the inbred family of Hulks notwithstanding, but McNiven makes the book.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

FutureFriend posted:

It's not so much he recants is that through the story slowly he's put into situations that keep pushing him more and more to the Logan he used to be I mean by the time they make it to post apocalyptic Nazi New York (DC?). Logan dukes it out with the Red Skull and satisfyingly decapitates him with Cap's shield. His whole vow was to never pop his claws again. Which to his credit he doesn't do, until he's racing back home in some beat up Iron Man armor to pay a debt to the Redneck Hulk Family. He finally makes it back, his home in ruins and his Not Jean redheaded wife and children slaughtered.

Cue a two page spread:

And the claws FINALLY pop out after all this pain and losing what friends he had left to save his family. IT'S loving ON.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Old Man Logan was good, but as far as Marvel-wasteland-comics go, I think the one with the Hulk being alone as the last sentient thing left on Earth was the better, yet more depressing story.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Vakal posted:

Old Man Logan was good, but as far as Marvel-wasteland-comics go, I think the one with the Hulk being alone as the last sentient thing left on Earth was the better, yet more depressing story.

That had such a brutal loving ending though. "Bruce" dies and the Hulk is finally left alone. All alone.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jiro posted:

It's not so much he recants is that through the story slowly he's put into situations that keep pushing him more and more to the Logan he used to be I mean by the time they make it to post apocalyptic Nazi New York (DC?). Logan dukes it out with the Red Skull and satisfyingly decapitates him with Cap's shield. His whole vow was to never pop his claws again. Which to his credit he doesn't do, until he's racing back home in some beat up Iron Man armor to pay a debt to the Redneck Hulk Family. He finally makes it back, his home in ruins and his Not Jean redheaded wife and children slaughtered.

Cue a two page spread:

And the claws FINALLY pop out after all this pain and losing what friends he had left to save his family. IT'S loving ON.

I read it on Unlimited a while ago, and it doesn't have the big Snikt.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

IUG posted:

Old Man Logan was the best issue of The Dark Tower that I've read in a long time.

Almost sad how true this is.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Aphrodite posted:

I read it on Unlimited a while ago, and it doesn't have the big Snikt.

It probably wouldn't have the same effect, depending on what device you're reading it on, still kind of dumb to remove it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Just spent the last few weeks catching up on A/NA hardcore in time for Secret Wars. It's all been amazing, I loving love Hickman so much.

The best tie-ins so far have been A-Force, Planet Hulk, and Infinity Gauntlet. I really wanted to like Old Man Logan on the strength of its art, but I never read the original, so it didn't do much for me. I will say it did make me want to check it out, even if I despise Millar.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I actually just read Old Man Logan for the first time this weekend because of the SW tie in. It doesn't really have that many "Millar"isms. The worst is the cannibal Banner clan stuff but that's just the first and last issue.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

muscles like this? posted:

I actually just read Old Man Logan for the first time this weekend because of the SW tie in. It doesn't really have that many "Millar"isms. The worst is the cannibal Banner clan stuff but that's just the first and last issue.

Spider-Bitch is a big one as well.

Plus the Clan has a lot of it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wait, that was supposed to be her superhero name? I thought it was just the guy insulting her.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Wait, that was supposed to be her superhero name? I thought it was just the guy insulting her.

Yeah, she's called that once in the Kingpin territory right before she's about to be executed. The comic definitely doesn't make it seem like its supposed to be her name,

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this? posted:

Yeah, she's called that once in the Kingpin territory right before she's about to be executed. The comic definitely doesn't make it seem like its supposed to be her name,

Yes, but Mark Millar also made a villian who was a poo poo golem so...

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Aphrodite posted:

It was like, a selling point in Millar's Old Man Logan pre-release interviews:

MILLAR: You see Spider-Man's granddaughter in it. She's called Spider-Bitch.

IGN: -laughs- What?

MILLAR: -laughs- She's this wee badass kind of girl who wants to kill the new Kingpin who rules the Utah area.

And here:

MILLAR: Only a few Marvel Heroes are still alive and the story mainly focuses on their descendants. There's a new Kingpin for example and Spiderman's granddaughter, Spider-bitch, is a favorite but the characters I'm most excited about are the radiation sick sons and grandsons of the Hulk

Or here!

MILLAR: The kind of characters he runs into is like Spider-Man's granddaughter, who is called Spider-Bitch and she is this black Spidey-Girl type of person that runs around in Utah. He runs into what's left of the X-Men. He runs into the remains of the Marvel Universe. And it's done in a way that you have never seen before.

This isn't an off-hand line of dialogue that critics of Mark Millar have latched onto. This was an explicit selling point of Old Man Logan in Mark Millar's eyes. "Hawkeye's a drug dealer! The Hulks are all incestuous/inbred. SPIDER-BITCH! Ha ha, I came up with Spider-Bitch! She's black you see!"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Spider-bitch being black and also a total piece of poo poo that you're supposed to want to see die is the most Millar thing I can think of.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Is SW#3 this week? I really need my SW fix.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Is SW#3 this week? I really need my SW fix.

Yep

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.
I think this is all the Battleworld stuff this week:

Amazing Spider-Man Renew Your Vows #1
Armor Wars #1
Future Imperfect #1
Master of Kung-Fu #2
Secret Wars #3
Secret Wars Battleworld #2
X-tinction Agenda #1
Years of Future Past #1
e: Giant Size Little Marvel AvX #1

Majuju fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 1, 2015

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I'll be checking out basically all the secret wars comics eventually, this whole event has been some really high stakes stuff, and I'm interested to see where they go from here. Even just the stuff that's already happened has been great, I mean how do you top a pissed off old-man Captain America and an evil Tony Stark slugging it out with each wearing Iron Man Armor while the world literally ends around them? That's already a way better payoff than Civil War ever gave us.

Also, in retrospect I'm sad that Amazing Spider-Man's original numbering ended before this event. I liked Superior Spider-Man, for the most part, but it would have been fun to have the number pick right back up, and to have it finally end with the alleged end of the Marvel Universe. It wouldn't really make sense business-wise (new #1 issues are always a business draw), but I think it would have been a fun tribute to Marvel's most famous hero. I dunno, I'm just a big nerd that sees things like issue #600 and thinks "wow, there have been 600 little stories about this guy and I could backtrack all the way through them and it would mostly make sense."

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jun 1, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You missed Giant Size Little Marvel AvX #1.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Endless Mike posted:

You missed Giant Size Little Marvel AvX #1.

Oh, I wasn't sure if this was a tie-in. The logo got kinda lost on the super-busy cover. Thanks!

e: is SWA short-code for Secret Wars stuff in the shipping list?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
This is seriously the best event with the best tie ins since ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

NowonSA posted:

Also, in retrospect I'm sad that Amazing Spider-Man's original numbering ended before this event. I liked Superior Spider-Man, for the most part, but it would have been fun to have the number pick right back up, and to have it finally end with the alleged end of the Marvel Universe. It wouldn't really make sense business-wise (new #1 issues are always a business draw), but I think it would have been a fun tribute to Marvel's most famous hero. I dunno, I'm just a big nerd that sees things like issue #600 and thinks "wow, there have been 600 little stories about this guy and I could backtrack all the way through them and it would mostly make sense."

Don't worry, Marvel loves to switch numbering around all the time. So whenever a big issue comes up that would have been like issue 650 or 700 or something, Marvel will put it back to that for a little bit.

I think they should just put something like the current run over the total run, like 18/630 to make it easier to track and have that sense of wow that a large issue run gives.

• Locked thread