Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

d3rt posted:

I think the point is that you can't use a plastic board to cut chicken, wash it manually, then use it for something else that won't be cooked. You would have to use another board, right?

What plastics are to be avoided, and which plastics are OK, for cutting boards?

Whatever an OXO board is made of, I guess. Polyethylene? I guess you want BPA free stuff. I don't know what any of that means, save that BPA gives you lovely estrogen. And you should buy at least two cutting boards. I have one for raw meats that's red-edged, and others for everything else.

Wood is cool(?) because you can sand/plane it down every few years to smooth out the surface again (I wouldn't really do this unless you've invested a great amount of money into the block) unless the grain is vertical and you can put hot pans on them, but really, with regards to food safety, you're overthinking the wood vs plastic bacteria stuff. They're all vulnerable. Wash and clean them.

I prefer plastic, not that it matters. They won't warp in sunlight or the dish washer....and stuff. My mom had a bamboo board that never warped either, though, so...:shrug:

if you're only using one board for whatever reason, I'd totally recommend you wash it after every use with a bleach and water mixture.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 07:39 on May 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Bleh, I wash my plastic cutting boards by hand a lot and I've never gotten food poisoning from them. I'm sure a couple years from now when they're gouged up to hell it will become an issue, but I'm pretty sure I'll replace them for being gouged and ugly way before they become gouged enough to become a hazard.

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Not too worried about price. What do you guys recommend for a good all purpose cutting board? Something on the larger size. Should I get one of those flexible ones so you can slide veggies in easy, etc?

I love my joseph joseph foldy one (the range is cheesily called "Chop2Pot™") and they come in a few sizes, some with rubbery feet and some without. I owned one previously and one of the thinner seams split, but it was getting a LOT of rough use over a number of years and they're inexpensive enough that it's not a huge deal if you have to replace it every once in a while. A++++ would chop again etc. etc.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

d3rt posted:

I think the point is that you can't use a plastic board to cut chicken, wash it manually, then use it for something else that won't be cooked. You would have to use another board, right?
Yeah. But you should really do that with a wooden board too. That is, actually properly sterilise it after any use that could lead to cross-contamination. With a wooden board your chances of `getting away' with a quick hand-washing are greater than with an old, heavily-scored plastic board, but that doesn't mean you should. Because if there was any contamination there in the first place it'll probably still be there, and you'd just be playing the odds that you wouldn't wick or flush or cut out any of it during your further use.

d3rt posted:

What plastics are to be avoided, and which plastics are OK, for cutting boards?
I just go to the local restaurant supply store and get a couple NSF-rated poly boards in whatever size I need when I have to recycle the old ones.

Now days you can also get things like the Sani-Tuff boards (rubber rather than plastic, moderately self-healing from cutting and can be sanded down like wood) or flexible synthetic mats that you can roll up and throw in the microwave to disinfect.

twotimer
Jul 19, 2013

Cuddlebottom posted:

I've got a very good blueberry muffin recipe, but it's not blueberry season here yet. I can, however, get good strawberries - would chopped strawberries work equivalently well? Or should I just grab some imported/frozen blueberries?

Edit: The recipe in question: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/famous-department-store-blueberry-muffins-recipe

what a strange recipe. the bit about adding 'mashed and whole berries to the batter, stirring just to combine' is suspect. where i come from, purple muffins are thought of as being amateurish- something a housewife creates by accident. i reckon you should push the blueberries into the batter after they have already been portioned into the muffin tins. that will keep the muffins from turning purple.

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

SubG posted:

Strawberries will work fine in that recipe. Getting some rhubarb and doing about a 50/50 mix with strawberries would be even better.
Excellent. I actually have a bunch that's been sitting in my fridge, I'll have to try that out.

twotimer posted:

what a strange recipe. the bit about adding 'mashed and whole berries to the batter, stirring just to combine' is suspect. where i come from, purple muffins are thought of as being amateurish- something a housewife creates by accident. i reckon you should push the blueberries into the batter after they have already been portioned into the muffin tins. that will keep the muffins from turning purple.
Huh, weird, I never knew that was a thing :shobon: I think there are alternate instructions somewhere that have you wash the berries so they don't color the whole batter, but I always thought the blue look was cool. I've made the recipe before so I can at least vouch that the muffins are delicious, if you're into muffins that are basically fruit-flavored cupcakes.

Cuddlebottom fucked around with this message at 13:02 on May 30, 2015

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Most of my cutting boards these days are bamboo. Less expensive than wood, probably more ecologically sound, and feels better to cut on than plastic.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
I like my flexible cutting boards, because they're easy to wash and cheap as poo poo. A red mat for cutting raw meat, and a couple of others for cutting the rest. Simple.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I like looking after my knives, so I use a wooden end grain butchers block most of the time
Only 50% (or less) of my dinners have meat and I use a separate plastic thick board which has drain channels/border just for that meat - but still use the wood end grain block for all veg prep for that dinner anyway. Of course only the boning knives which never touch the board, or a carving knife needs to be used on the plastic board with the meat anyway. All my good chefs knives only see the wooden board.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:29 on May 30, 2015

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

twotimer posted:

That's stupid, who cares if they're purple? Shove in as many berries as will fit. Housewife my rear end.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Most of my cutting boards these days are bamboo. Less expensive than wood, probably more ecologically sound, and feels better to cut on than plastic.

Same for me. I like the feel of cutting on them a lot. Been using the same 2 almost daily for about 2 years now and they have very little wear and no odors or notable stains.

I just wash them within an hour or less of using and never soak them in anything either. The bamboo has held up quite well.

twotimer
Jul 19, 2013

Drink and Fight posted:

That's stupid, who cares if they're purple? Shove in as many berries as will fit. Housewife my rear end.

its totally housewife.
even the pic in the recipe he posted features a muffin that hasnt been turned purple by berries, despite the recipe clearly stating he should mash the berries and mix them into the batter.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'd like to cover the beat-up and fairly gross wooden top on the plug-in dish washer in my apartment; right now it looks like crap and the wood constantly is slightly tacky. I moved in a little bit ago and the previous tenants really didn't try to keep it nice. I'm looking for something 27" x 24" with a surface that would be easy to clean, and if I can use it for any sort of food prep that would be awesome as well but not necessary. Would a custom glass place be the best option for something like this?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

A buddy of mine dropped off 4lbs of fatty looking ground lamb.

I'd love to use it in a soup or stew that would freeze well for quick meals later.

I've always been a oven and grill guy. Would you guys recommend a good immersion blender if I want to start making a lot of soups and stews? I have a nice blender. Any other gadgets going to make my life easier here?

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

twotimer posted:

its totally housewife.
even the pic in the recipe he posted features a muffin that hasnt been turned purple by berries, despite the recipe clearly stating he should mash the berries and mix them into the batter.

It says "stirring just to combine and distribute" which won't make the whole thing purple but will get those delicious streaks that you see in the picture.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

GobiasIndustries posted:

I'd like to cover the beat-up and fairly gross wooden top on the plug-in dish washer in my apartment; right now it looks like crap and the wood constantly is slightly tacky. I moved in a little bit ago and the previous tenants really didn't try to keep it nice. I'm looking for something 27" x 24" with a surface that would be easy to clean, and if I can use it for any sort of food prep that would be awesome as well but not necessary. Would a custom glass place be the best option for something like this?

That's pretty big, if you have an IKEA near you check out their 'busted stuff' section. They might have a table top that's made out of solid butcher block like wood. Then you can cut it to size. I found one for about $20 I assume because the legs were destroyed in shipping or something.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I love my bamboo cutting boards, but the dishwasher destroys them if you don't oil them after every washing. If you want to run it through the dishwasher, definitely go plastic.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 minutes!
wrong thread

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 31, 2015

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Norns posted:

A buddy of mine dropped off 4lbs of fatty looking ground lamb.

I'd love to use it in a soup or stew that would freeze well for quick meals later.

I'd just make lamburgers or kofta with that.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

GobiasIndustries posted:

A full sheet baking pan is 18x26.

IKEA busted stuff is not a bad idea, but if you can't find any, you can probably just go to a Home Depot and get a custom wood piece for $20

Glass sounds like it would be expensive for something where you're not staying permanently

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Steve Yun posted:

A full sheet baking pan is 18x26.

IKEA busted stuff is not a bad idea, but if you can't find any, you can probably just go to a Home Depot and get a custom wood piece for $20

Glass sounds like it would be expensive for something where you're not staying permanently

Do check ahead to make sure your DIY shop actually cuts boards. You'll get some 3/4in hardwood there, but not actual butcher block.You'll also be sanding and poly sealing your newly cut board for kitchen use, so keep that in mind for the DIY route.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS
I have kind of a dumb question: When making mashed potatoes, why does every recipe seem to have you add the potatoes to the water while it's still cold? I've always put them in once the water is boiling. They don't really taste any different to me, but I'm curious if I'm committing some form of culinary sin I am unaware of.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

DumbparameciuM posted:

I have kind of a dumb question: When making mashed potatoes, why does every recipe seem to have you add the potatoes to the water while it's still cold? I've always put them in once the water is boiling. They don't really taste any different to me, but I'm curious if I'm committing some form of culinary sin I am unaware of.

I dunno. When I make mashed potatoes, I cook the potatoes however I feel like (usually microwave or oven), then mash them. I don't think it matters at all, other than starting from cold will cook them in less time overall.

twotimer
Jul 19, 2013

DumbparameciuM posted:

so the core temp of the spud rises with the water and cooks evenly. it also makes boiled spuds less likely to be wet when you start the mash.
i suggest starting with cold water and using unpeeled spuds.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

DumbparameciuM posted:

They cook more evenly. If you put a whole peeled potato in boiling water the outside would eventually dissipate into the water while the inside was still raw. If your pieces are small enough it's not really an issue.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

twotimer posted:

so the core temp of the spud rises with the water and cooks evenly. it also makes boiled spuds less likely to be wet when you start the mash.

Oh poo poo, guess I've been doing it wrong

But I dice them pretty small anyway so it's probably less of an issue

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Anyone got some nice soup recipes using great northern beans and smoked sausage?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

GreyPowerVan posted:

Anyone got some nice soup recipes using great northern beans and smoked sausage?

That sounds like a pretty good idea right there? I mean, add some carrot, celery, onion, garlic, bay, thyme and broth. You could throw in kale or chard as well. Maybe a ham hock.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Hauki posted:

That sounds like a pretty good idea right there? I mean, add some carrot, celery, onion, garlic, bay, thyme and broth. You could throw in kale or chard as well. Maybe a ham hock.

Yeah I just wondered if there was anything fancy I could do with it. My only real thoughts are beef vs chicken broth :eng101:

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
Wife bought a ton of mushrooms from the farmer's market - way more than we can reasonably use in my normal stable of day-to-day recipes before they go bad. Unfortunately, they're white/button mushrooms, so not a lot of flavor. To make matters worse, I'm probably going to be working late this week, which means that I'd really like to keep cooking times down.

So - what can I do with a bunch of 'shrooms that ideally requires 30-45 minutes of prep or less?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I don't particularly like mushrooms but I'd put some olive oil in a pan, fry them a bit, add some butter, garlic, and lemon juice, then add some parsley and salt to taste and eat them.

if i liked mushrooms that is, I don't eat them but I do cook them a lot for my wife and guests.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

rj54x posted:

Wife bought a ton of mushrooms from the farmer's market - way more than we can reasonably use in my normal stable of day-to-day recipes before they go bad. Unfortunately, they're white/button mushrooms, so not a lot of flavor. To make matters worse, I'm probably going to be working late this week, which means that I'd really like to keep cooking times down.

So - what can I do with a bunch of 'shrooms that ideally requires 30-45 minutes of prep or less?

Use a food processor to chop them into tiny little bits and make duxelles, then add a glug of heavy cream and use it as a sort of mushroom pesto over bowtie pasta.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
What's the difference between using corn syrup and sugar for cooking? Why is corn syrup used at all? Is it just because it's cheaper? I know chemically it doesn't crystallize, but what does that actually mean for cooking?

vvv - Ah, moisture content. That's what oil does, too, right? Is that why you add that to cakes?

Drifter fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jun 1, 2015

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Drifter posted:

What's the difference between using corn syrup and sugar for cooking? Why is corn syrup used at all?

It's normally used in conjunction with granulated sugar to keep it from crystalizing. Something about fructose and glucose interfering with sucrose crystallization. I think it's also better at maintaining moisture content.

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
I have some brie and roquefort left over from someone staying the weekend. Is there anything nice I can make with them? I love brie, but not a huge fan of roquefort, but it's nice if the taste isn't too dominating. Never been much of a cheese person, but figured I could try making something since it's in the fridge anyway.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Sjonkel posted:

I have some brie and roquefort left over from someone staying the weekend. Is there anything nice I can make with them? I love brie, but not a huge fan of roquefort, but it's nice if the taste isn't too dominating. Never been much of a cheese person, but figured I could try making something since it's in the fridge anyway.

Make some homemade blue cheese dressing and use it on a variety of salads for dinner during the week, for a "healthy" kick!

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

GreyPowerVan posted:

Sounds like the start of some Cassoulet, but I'd say that's more stew than soup.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Psychobabble posted:

They cook more evenly. If you put a whole peeled potato in boiling water the outside would eventually dissipate into the water while the inside was still raw. If your pieces are small enough it's not really an issue.

twotimer posted:

Thanks for the info, those are the first straight answers I've gotten. I thought maybe it was a "Cut the end off the roast" type of question up to this point. I'm usually making small amounts (2 main sized serves, about 250g/person) and cooking it fast so I cut the cubes pretty small and therefore haven't noticed it yet.

Twotimer, interested about your reasoning with using unpeeled spuds? I've done that before but the bitterness and different texture kind of turned me off. I like a light creamy mash. Does the cold start do something to soften the skins up as well? Are you cooking your potatoes for a super long time?

Now that I'm on this mashed potato kick, does anyone else get funky with the water used to boil the potatoes in? I usually add some veggie stock, salt, pepper, and 1/2 a brown onion.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Sjonkel posted:

Make a broccoli and Roquefort soup!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

DumbparameciuM posted:

Thanks for the info, those are the first straight answers I've gotten. I thought maybe it was a "Cut the end off the roast" type of question up to this point. I'm usually making small amounts (2 main sized serves, about 250g/person) and cooking it fast so I cut the cubes pretty small and therefore haven't noticed it yet.

Twotimer, interested about your reasoning with using unpeeled spuds? I've done that before but the bitterness and different texture kind of turned me off. I like a light creamy mash. Does the cold start do something to soften the skins up as well? Are you cooking your potatoes for a super long time?

Now that I'm on this mashed potato kick, does anyone else get funky with the water used to boil the potatoes in? I usually add some veggie stock, salt, pepper, and 1/2 a brown onion.

The thing with boiling potatoes for mash is we don't want the potatoes absorbing all the water and becoming water logged. If that happens the potatoes can't soak up butter, milk or cream because they have already soaked up heaps of water instead.
If boiling in water then the larger the potato pieces are, the better, as it minimizes water logging. It's best to buy small potatoes and leave them whole. If you only have large potatoes then only cut them in half and no more.
It's this approach of leaving them whole or in large pieces that introduces the problem of uneven cooking of large potato segments, that's where starting them in cold water comes in, make more even cooking.
E: So to avoid water logging, keep the potatoes as large as possible. To ensure even cooking of large potato pieces, start with cold water.

To be honest though, you're better off microwaving or baking the potatoes and avoiding the whole water logging problem in the first place.
Cutting up the potatoes into small pieces and boiling them is the worst way to cook potatoes or to make mash.

Also the skins are awesome in flavour usually. Some times I have to make a really smooth mash and I love the fact that I get to munch on the cooked skins while making dinner (or give them a quick roast in the oven). To me they taste better than the mash. But that's the only reason to keep the skins, if you like the flavour.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jun 2, 2015