Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
FTL is good, many people love it.
Shadowrun Returns is excellent and Dragonfall is my favourite game of all time.
RoR is good.
Knock-knock has the single best atmosphere I have ever seen in a game.

And I still haven't even tried to play PoE because it is an Obsidian game and will be buggy even after the very last patch, let alone in the current state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Dragonfall was so good I didn't even think twice to donate to the Hong Kong Kickstarter.

No Gravitas posted:

And I still haven't even tried to play PoE because it is an Obsidian game and will be buggy even after the very last patch, let alone in the current state.

Is it that bad?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Lord Lambeth posted:

Is it that bad?

No, that's hyperbole to the point of ridiculousness. The only major bugs (stuff like a certain trinket disabling power generation for one class) were fixed very quickly.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Lord Lambeth posted:

Is it that bad?

Probably not. In truth I just don't have the time to even try it lately.

But that isn't as amusing to say.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Lord Lambeth posted:

Dragonfall was so good I didn't even think twice to donate to the Hong Kong Kickstarter.

Is it that bad?

No, actually. There were a few minor bugs but I beat it just fine before the first big patch came out. And they're still patching and improving it.

I mean, in this day and age it's not a bad idea to put off playing a new RPG for a year or so. Chances are, it'll get completely rebalanced, will get a bunch of DLCs and perhaps an enhanced edition. I'm putting off Witcher 3 for that reason.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 31, 2015

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

PoE is like the least buggy top-down RPG to come out of Kickstarter.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, there was only like one major bug where double-clicking to equip items could wipe away the passive buffs you get from your abilities but that got patched pretty quick. I beat the game in the week it came out too.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Metal Meltdown posted:

I'll always champion Risk of Rain for another small budget KS success.
Actually I'll second this, that game is amazing.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

you are probably not much of a rigorous thinker if you think obsidian makes buggy games

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Who makes detailed ambitious rpgs with smooth bug free releases anyway? A few of Obsidian's games have been noteworthy for bugginess but it's a pretty tall order to make a big CRPG type game with a reasonable budget and not end up with some bugs at release. Larian, Bioware, Troika, Black Isle, Bethesda, Origin back in the day, Looking Glass, SSI, etc all tended to be buggy at release. Some of them were worse than Obsidian games and the ones in the pre-internet era barely got patched.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Distance, too! Don't forget about Distance!

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

FuzzySlippers posted:

Who makes detailed ambitious rpgs with smooth bug free releases anyway? A few of Obsidian's games have been noteworthy for bugginess but it's a pretty tall order to make a big CRPG type game with a reasonable budget and not end up with some bugs at release. Larian, Bioware, Troika, Black Isle, Bethesda, Origin back in the day, Looking Glass, SSI, etc all tended to be buggy at release. Some of them were worse than Obsidian games and the ones in the pre-internet era barely got patched.

Dragon Age: Origins is still hosed up. You go to the wiki, lot's of status effects are listed as broken.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Is there a topic for ridiculous Steam Greenlight titles? I can't find an actual Kickstarter for this one, and it looks like it doesn't need funding anyway, since it's already a complete game, if you like 1980s style single screen arcade games.

Oh wait, the Greenlight topic was closed over a month ago, so I probably shouldn't post this.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Metal Meltdown posted:

I'll always champion Risk of Rain for another small budget KS success.

Isn't that one of those KS games that really blatantly lied about the amount of money/time that went into making the game?

EDIT: nevermind, I was thinking of Rogue "this cost $15k" Legacy

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jun 1, 2015

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Yeah that was some straight bullshit. Risk of Rain was developed by a bunch of students so I can see how that'd be a low budget title even with everything else considered.

Also after an extended gameplay session I've determined that the new Carmageddon really isn't very good. It's a better looking and worse performing version of the original game for better and worse but mostly worse because drat is it clunky and dull just like the original was in a lot of weird ways.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Squad, the realistic military shooter by the Project Reality people, hit its goal recently and is now trundling off towards its stretch goals.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Power Drive 2000 is slowly but surely making towards its ask with only 8k CAD left to go.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Great Joe posted:

Power Drive 2000 is slowly but surely making towards its ask with only 8k CAD left to go.

Only 51 hours to go though, I really hope they make it (though going by most kickstarters, they should). I guess everyone's saving money for the Bard's Tale kickstarter out in a few days.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

evilmiera posted:

Only 51 hours to go though, I really hope they make it (though going by most kickstarters, they should). I guess everyone's saving money for the Bard's Tale kickstarter out in a few days.

you should fund the rest of the money they need.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Great Joe posted:

That's a puny goal. I hope they didn't lowball it.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I hope they manage to properly capture the personalities of whichever tanks they choose to represent.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

I see they went for Tank Girl (child) instead of Tank Girl (f) :catstare:

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
re: Kickstarter successes

it's too early to tell but I got a feeling Kingdom Come: Deliverance is going to kick rear end, they have their poo poo together business-wise and just look at the amount of historical detail they put into a single building https://youtu.be/CAyc_mBkjXA?t=783

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

The White Dragon posted:

I see they went for Tank Girl (child) instead of Tank Girl (f) :catstare:

女の子 simply means girl, as in not an adult woman. It doesn't specifically mean a young child despite what 子 might imply. Of course, that doesn't mean that the game won't be about that...

I thought I was in the Playstation Vita thread for a moment there, because a game like that seems right up the Vita's alley.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
I don't know about you but The Eyes of Ara looks neat to me!

Mr Underhill fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jun 2, 2015

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

evilmiera posted:

Or maybe people played the demo and were unimpressed, I know I was.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah it looks amazing but much like Drift Stage it's so much more style than substance it would probably be better off as a music video rather than a game.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/onaroll/on-a-roll/description

These people are trying to make what looks like Tony Hawk with rollerblading, the game looks nice and they seem like a competent team. The main guy in the team talks up his animation skill a lot though and I don't care because Tony Hawk is all about FEEL. Also they're talking about a dual stick control system so who knows. Apparently it's already in some playable form and if the campaign's successful backers'll get to play it which seems like a real devil's bargain.

Hat Thoughts fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jun 2, 2015

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

When is someone gonna kickstart a sequel to Hyperblade :sigh:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
That one Jet Set Radio clone is still kicking along, right?

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

When is someone gonna kickstart a sequel to Hyperblade :sigh:

I'd settle for just being able to run it on Windows 7 with the Direct3D enhancements.

Just tested with my disc and you can't even run the setup in Win 7 x64, it's a 16-bit exe.

chiefnewo fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jun 2, 2015

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

...I actually want to back this. This lets me date a T-34, even an IS-2, I have to back this. I don't care if they're in girl form, I don't care that it's a shittier Kancolle.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
This is quite pretty. A procedurally growing walk-em-up forest simulator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EOZdBMIPAQ

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Bard's Tale is live. Quite frankly I'd appreciate less Publisher Kid and more game poo poo in the pitch video. I'm probably not backing it, because I'm not huge on pure dungeon crawling, but it seems to be getting money at the pace their previous Kickstarters did.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Megazver posted:

Quite frankly I'd appreciate less Publisher Kid and more game poo poo in the pitch video.

Yeah, as a five second joke or something it's fine, but half the drat pitch video is really painful.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Megazver posted:

Bard's Tale is live. Quite frankly I'd appreciate less Publisher Kid and more game poo poo in the pitch video. I'm probably not backing it, because I'm not huge on pure dungeon crawling, but it seems to be getting money at the pace their previous Kickstarters did.

They really should be able to afford proper audio recording equipment at this point.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Does the Bards Tale have unique companions or is it all player made characters?

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
I really liked Might & Magic X and want more of that, so I backed Bard's Tale IV right away, no need to even think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
I'm probably skipping bard's tale. I got swayed the first time with Wasteland 2, and comparing the "90's were rad let's not change anything" of Wasteland 2 against the "Let's shave all the warts off" of Pillars of Eternity, I just don't think they're going to make a game I'm going to enjoy playing.