Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Take it, take all my money. Been waiting to pull the trigger on a new PC and an lg 34um95.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.
So, with Titan X no longer having quite the compute chops that the original had, is the only point of having a Titan X over a 980ti +6 gigs of VRAM and maybe 5% performance?

If so I can't think of why you would ever want a Titan X instead of a 980ti.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Internet Explorer posted:

Take it, take all my money. Been waiting to pull the trigger on a new PC and an lg 34um95.

Do yourself a favor and grab a VESA mount when you buy the 34UM95 because it's a fantastic monitor but the included stand is pretty terrible. I wish that I'd figured out years ago that a nice fully-adjustable mount could be had for under 50 bucks.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Gyrotica posted:

So, with Titan X no longer having quite the compute chops that the original had, is the only point of having a Titan X over a 980ti +6 gigs of VRAM and maybe 5% performance?

Not all compute jobs need double precision, nVidia are pushing it for machine learning applications which are apparently all single precision and benefit from shitloads of RAM.

It's definitely a small niche though.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Pretty sure the actual niche is "gamers with too much cash and/or pixels". Which seems to be a niche that's just getting bigger.

Getting maybe a few sales from machine learning nerds is just a bonus, any real workstation/server still ships with a quadro/firepro cards.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

Please, someone explain to me how this is possible. How is the 3.5+512 thing not killing the 970's in Shadow of Mordor in 4K?

I still think the 980ti will be better for me in the long run at 1440p, maybe in 4K. Is that not right?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

suddenlyissoon posted:

How is the 3.5+512 thing not killing the 970's in Shadow of Mordor in 4K?

Driver shenanigans. Yes, really.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

MSI and Asus need to get these things out. I don't really want to buy a blower 980ti. I might go with an EVGA ACX card if they become easily available first.

The asus has some new three fan cooler of theirs, though we just have a render.

Asus has a hybrid coming out too, but I prefer to just stick to air with my system.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jun 1, 2015

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
The 980ti is not my market segment, is this launch like a 970 moment for the high high end, just at twice the price and everything else?
How hosed exactly is AMD :smith:

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

sauer kraut posted:

The 980ti is not my market segment, is this launch like a 970 moment for the high high end, just at twice the price and everything else?
How hosed exactly is AMD :smith:

AMD is pretty much hosed forever. Not only can they not get rid of what product they have, but it's all subpar and likely looks to be that way when they've continually rehashed 4-5 year old products as "new".

Honestly, it's not like it matters and it should make it easier on software developers once AMD finally tanks.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

suddenlyissoon posted:

Please, someone explain to me how this is possible. How is the 3.5+512 thing not killing the 970's in Shadow of Mordor in 4K?

To elaborate on Truga, the driver tracks which buffers are used the least and keeps them in the 512mb area.

Drivers have always done something similar to minimize the impact of swapping if you overflow VRAM into system RAM, the 970 just has three speed tiers instead of two.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Gyrotica posted:

To have a 3 month headstart :v:
Really though, there isn't a reason to have a Titan X over a 980ti unless you are realllly pushing for all the power you can regardless of cost. That 3% - 10% performance jump a Titan X has over a 980ti is still a performance lead even if it's small and comes at a steep cost. Kind of like Intel always having an Extreme Edition CPU but the one that gamer-types accept as the gaming CPU one is always hundreds cheaper.

FaustianQ posted:

AMD is pretty much hosed forever. Not only can they not get rid of what product they have, but it's all subpar and likely looks to be that way when they've continually rehashed 4-5 year old products as "new".

Honestly, it's not like it matters and it should make it easier on software developers once AMD finally tanks.

Intel CPUs and NVIDIA GPUs as far as the eyes can see~

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

I wonder if Nvidia is trying to force a low price for the 980 Ti, eat the cost, and hopefully smother AMD this cycle. That a 980 Ti properly priced would be closer to 799$, not 649$. The 980 Ti doesn't even have to sell super well, just make Fiji either pointless or hamstring AMD.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

FaustianQ posted:

Honestly, it's not like it matters

Hahaha, I know you really want them to fail, but jesus, no competition will mean NVIDIA will price gouge all as hard as possible.

Look at the CPU market. Intel hasn't made any useful strides for desktop performance in ages, and everything with more than 4 cores costs a shitload.

Also, in terms of making it easier on developers, no way, because look at what NVIDIA actually promotes: blobs that tack onto your game and affect performance in bizarre ways - they have no care at all for people who bought previous generation NVIDIA cards just as much as people who have AMD cards.

I can't believe you'd think no competition would mean a better market.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 1, 2015

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

FaustianQ posted:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

FaustianQ posted:

I wonder if Nvidia is trying to force a low price for the 980 Ti, eat the cost, and hopefully smother AMD this cycle. That a 980 Ti properly priced would be closer to 799$, not 649$. The 980 Ti doesn't even have to sell super well, just make Fiji either pointless or hamstring AMD.

Dumping is actually against the law in most countries, so I very much doubt they'd go for that. Nvidia's big, but it's not that big.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

HalloKitty posted:

Hahaha, I know you really want them to fail, but jesus, no competition will mean NVIDIA will price gouge all as hard as possible.

Look at the CPU market. Intel hasn't made any useful strides for desktop performance in ages, and everything with more than 4 cores costs a shitload.

AMD pushing Mantle is also one of the main reason why we are finally getting rid of old, heavyweight legacy APIs. Nvidia would probably love to just maintain the status quo since it's mainly their drivers that give them an advantage over the competition.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

The_Franz posted:

AMD pushing Mantle is also one of the main reason why we are finally getting rid of old, heavyweight legacy APIs. Nvidia would probably love to just maintain the status quo since it's mainly their drivers that give them an advantage over the competition.

This is also true, AMD perf in DX11 is demonstrably worse than NVIDIA's driver performance, but DX12 and Vulkan (therefore Mantle) allows the hardware to shine.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

HalloKitty posted:

I actually wouldn't mind them succeeding, and specifically made my toxx because I'm hella unlucky, thus rationalizing that clearly if I had something at stake AMD would do okay and gently caress me over. I bought AMD parts forever, but the reality is that it's no longer a capable or competitive company - seriously, look at the supposed 300 series line up.

It's not like Nvidia is really competing against AMD to begin with, and Nvidia price gouging seems counter-intuitive when they constantly need to push new hardware. If they push too hard on prices, they force people to not buy their new product, which is bad for everyone. It creates a loop where PC gaming is unaffordable, so fewer and fewer still buy into Nvidia cards, and less and less support is offered.

HalloKitty posted:

An FX-8350 costs 179$, yet for only 50$ is the i5-4690k for ~229$, which is basically all the performance you need. I also can't think of a situation where you'll need more than 4 cores where you won't also be able to or willing to pay the i7 premium.

HalloKitty posted:

Also, in terms of making it easier on developers, no way, because look at what NVIDIA actually promotes: blobs that tack onto your game and affect performance in bizarre ways - they have no care at all for people who bought previous generation NVIDIA cards just as much as people who have AMD cards.

I can't believe you'd think no competition would mean a better market.

How is this at all relevant when AMD can't compete in the first place? Nvidia dominates the market, and thus what is developed for it. I don't have to like Nvidia to acknowledge this.

Please read "Honestly, it's not like it matters and it should make it easier on software developers once AMD finally tanks" as if I was heaving a heavy, resigned sigh in some feeble attempt to find some good that AMD can't compete with Nvidia. I mean scream and rant all you want about how this is terrible for competition if AMD fails, but your opinion is irrelevant to the reality of it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

HalloKitty posted:

because look at what NVIDIA actually promotes: [...] they have no care at all for people who bought previous generation NVIDIA cards just as much as people who have AMD cards.

For what it's worth they did track down the problem causing Kepler cards to underperform, people are seeing ~15% speedups after installing the driver released yesterday.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Soooo you really wanna argue that more performance than Intel's current mid-range Haswell CPU is either useless or never needed ever? Or that competition to bring down the price premium of 4 core+ chips wouldn't be a good thing?

You getting paid to say this stuff or what?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tigerdirect has inventory of 980Ti; it looks $100 more expensive on the search screen, but there's $100 in instant savings so it's about a wash. A pair are winging their way to me.

If Intel were sitting on their laurels, I don't think the foreshortened Broadwell cycle would have played out the same way. They're also really pushing on IGP capabilities, I think to everyone's benefit.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Soooo you really wanna argue that more performance than Intel's current mid-range Haswell CPU is either useless or never needed ever? Or that competition to bring down the price premium of 4 core+ chips wouldn't be a good thing?

For what most home PC users and gamers do now? Yea, I'm not seeing how you'd need more performance. For the future? I'm not going to make any bets, that's absurd.

AMD would actually have to be capable of making a good processor to force Intel to price drop. If they can't do that, then why have an argument about competition when there is effectively none? Even Zen so far just sounds like they're hitting Haswell performance, whoop. How is it hard to grasp that making noise about how awful it would be for there to be no competition makes no difference in whether AMD can be competitive in the first place?

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Sold out already. The EVGA SC+ is $100 more than it should be with no instant savings, so no wonder that model is still available. There is a website that used to get thrown around here during all the new release scrambles that listed all of the marketplaces and card availability in almost real time. Anyone remember the name?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Wonder how long til i can pick up a 2nd Titan cheap :p

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I was going to buy a MSI 970 but instead I got a GForce GF-1056-871 for MY GIRLFRIEND. At least I got to order a GForce...

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

OK, so what does a normal user need more performance for then?

Games still don't use or benefit from more than 6 cores, although DX12 will be a minor help there. And that's about the only thing a common PC user will do at all to push their CPU.

The other things that hugely benefit from CPU scaling, video encoding and 3d rendering, are almost exclusively the domain of extreme niche home users who are probably nutters that bought X79/X99 or Xeon platforms anyhow, and professionals who also bought Xeons.

There's just no activities out there that benefit from an increase in CPU power/$ vs an improvement in say SSD or broadband latency instead.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

FaustianQ posted:

For what most home PC users and gamers do now? Yea, I'm not seeing how you'd need more performance.

Haha oh wow. "640k ought to be enough for everybody", right guys?

Gwaihir posted:

There's just no activities out there that benefit from an increase in CPU power/$ vs an improvement in say SSD or broadband latency instead.

This is true, there are way better ways to speed up a computer than just buying more CPU most of the time, but some have already done those.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Competition is important guys, but the blame is on AMD. What are you expecting Intel and nvidia to do exactly, nerf themselves ?

It's sad but they should have done a better job if they wanted a different outcome.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Gwaihir posted:

OK, so what does a normal user need more performance for then?

Games still don't use or benefit from more than 6 cores, although DX12 will be a minor help there. And that's about the only thing a common PC user will do at all to push their CPU.

The other things that hugely benefit from CPU scaling, video encoding and 3d rendering, are almost exclusively the domain of extreme niche home users who are probably nutters that bought X79/X99 or Xeon platforms anyhow, and professionals who also bought Xeons.

Developers could always use more single-threaded speed for compiling / linking big heavy projects.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003
Is AMD going to announce their poo poo or what? What are they waiting for?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Accoring to rumours computex for 300 series, E3 (or possibly even later) for titankiller00 series.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Truga posted:

Haha oh wow. "640k ought to be enough for everybody", right guys?

Are you loving dense or just wanting to argue in bad faith when that's about what user needs are now, but I specifically excluded predicting what future needs are?

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog
For folks who don't mind Zotac and the stock card, newegg.ca has the Zotac 980 ti in stock in Canada

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500376&cm_re=980_ti-_-14-500-376-_-Product

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Bleh Maestro posted:

Is AMD going to announce their poo poo or what? What are they waiting for?
They are waiting for everybody to buy 980ti cards first, obviously.

Seriously though, they need to get some info out. The 390x needs to be priced at $600 and outperform the 980ti by if they want to have a real shot.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

New NVIDIA driver update just popped, now supports GSync in windowed mode among other goodies. It pleases me.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

FaustianQ posted:

Are you loving dense or just wanting to argue in bad faith when that's about what user needs are now, but I specifically excluded predicting what future needs are?

I'm just going to quote this again:

FaustianQ posted:

For what most home PC users and gamers do now? Yea, I'm not seeing how you'd need more performance.

"Hey guys, I don't think my computer could possibly be any faster than this."

*runs Kerbal Space Program at 4 fps on latest, fastest, overclocked intel CPU*

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Intel and NVIDIA should license out their previous generations for production by AMD.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

FaustianQ posted:

For what most home PC users and gamers do now? Yea, I'm not seeing how you'd need more performance. For the future? I'm not going to make any bets, that's absurd.
So you have things like Intel's HUGI showing how more performance is still relevant today. Even if it is only to get to a low power state ASAP that still matters lots for mobile platforms and battery time. The other factor is that the software is influenced by existing hardware. Having a market where higher performance hardware is common place gives developers more 'room' to work with and is always a good thing since it allows them to the make the 'future' happen that much sooner.

FaustianQ posted:

If they can't do that, then why have an argument about competition when there is effectively none?
They may or may not be able to compete anymore. I fully admit it aint' looking good for them. But you're writing them off early and ignoring that even if AMD could only compete on the low/mid range against Intel that would still be beneficial to the market and consumer since it'd allow for price/performance competition in those market segments. The alternative to that would be a monopoly which historically haven't exactly been consumer friendly or all that interested in product improvements or innovation. So I'm failing to see any upside to what you're saying here.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Truga posted:

*runs Kerbal Space Program at 4 fps on latest, fastest, overclocked intel CPU*

Does more cores help you there? I thought KSP was all single-threaded in the main sim loop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Competition is important guys, but the blame is on AMD. What are you expecting Intel and nvidia to do exactly, nerf themselves ?

It's sad but they should have done a better job if they wanted a different outcome.

The fact that AMD was illegally hosed out of a huge number of contracts in the 90s and early 2000s by Intel, using anticompetitive strategies and vendor lock-in contracts has nothing to do with their current state. The fact that 10 years later Intel is getting hit with lawsuit loss after lawsuit loss in US and EU courts also has nothing to do with it.

AMDs leadership is a flaming poo poo pile right now, but they could have been in a much more commanding market share position had Intel not violated federal and international laws to maintain their own market share.