Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

NowonSA posted:

Also, just since it's bugging me, what's the skill that Bell has but that Hestia is avoiding telling him about because she has the maturity of a 12 year old girl? I'm sure it's come up before, I just forget. Off the top of my head it's that skill that's letting him rank up crazy fast, right?
That's the one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011
The name is escaping me but that is the gist of it with a Caveat that its effectiveness is tied to how hard Bell works towards his Goal, that goal being strong enough to stand as an Equal with Sword Girl.[So he can ask her out]

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's called Realis Phrase, probably to invoke the idea of making his dream reality

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

MadHat posted:

The name is escaping me but that is the gist of it with a Caveat that its effectiveness is tied to how hard Bell works towards his Goal, that goal being strong enough to stand as an Equal with Sword Girl.[So he can ask her out]

The irony being that she and every girl after Bell except Freya basically couldn't care less about how strong he is.

Also new guy is cool. I like that he doesn't have some huge, super tragic history, at least as far as has been shown.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Man Hestia is happening.

A good start. Still need to get gloves, but I have materials for everything else.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

My god, its full of stars pancakes

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
I have seriously considered commissioning a Hestia costume for my pug.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Hadaka Apron posted:

I have seriously considered commissioning a Hestia costume for my pug.

The shortest shortstack. :3:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I kinda wanna wear a blue ribbon around my regular clothes and act totally normal otherwise.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

I kinda wanna wear a blue ribbon around my regular clothes and act totally normal otherwise.

Watch some people get spastic over that.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

chumbler posted:

Also new guy is cool. I like that he doesn't have some huge, super tragic history, at least as far as has been shown.

Well, his family went from respected nobles to commoners who no one respects and who can't even get their armor listed normally in a shop, so that's decently tragic. I also don't buy that he stopped making magic items just because of people's greed, there was probably a single significant event that made him swear it off, like a dear friend using his magic item and having it not be enough to save his life. I don't think he's had it anywhere near as hard as Lili, but I think he's appropriately broken.

People die kind of a lot on this show too, it's pretty shocking how casually people get torn to shreds by ants or whatever. Adventuring is pretty freaking risky.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I noticed the supporter's magic weapon shattered pretty easily, I wonder if their integrity is weaker than basic metals.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I'll pretend that in light of dark souls images that our smith views magic weapons like the drake sword. A powerful crutch.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Thor-Stryker posted:

I noticed the supporter's magic weapon shattered pretty easily, I wonder if their integrity is weaker than basic metals.
I recall that in the 2nd novel Bell thinks about magic weapons and how they're of limited usefulness because they're rare therefore expensive yet they break after a number of uses so they aren't really practical for people who aren't swimming in money.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jun 1, 2015

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Yeah, we're used to magic weapons having a permanent effect, i.e. the flaming sword is always able to do fire damage, but it seems like here it's more like having an amulet, dagger, or sword that can shoot a fireboltaaaa X number of times and then breaks with no ability to recharge it. I was looking forward to Bell getting a magic weapon or item, and I still think he will, but it turns out that a high quality weapon or armor set is more useful and efficient long term. Bell really has the best of both worlds with his dagger, since it's only useful to him and continues to grow in strength as he does, which is basically a magic weapon benefit without worrying about it ever breaking.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

So more like diablo equips. I'm going to enjoy reading the later novels, they seem to be like Etrian Odyssey: the books.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
The thing about magic weapons having low durability wasn't made very clear, but I still liked the blacksmith bro's explanation.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
So if Bell encounters something too tough for him, he gets a single shot of super magic? How vague. I wonder how he is gonna level up again if it requires a challenging boss fight, though. Presumably he can now punch above his weight class, so things that were challenging but doable are now trivial, but things that were completely above him remain that way.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Serious Frolicking posted:

So if Bell encounters something too tough for him, he gets a single shot of super magic? How vague. I wonder how he is gonna level up again if it requires a challenging boss fight, though. Presumably he can now punch above his weight class, so things that were challenging but doable are now trivial, but things that were completely above him remain that way.

Kinda sets him up for being able to solo/small-party bosses in order to expedite his leveling. Otherwise he would need an actual raid party to level up like everyone else.

I haven't read the LNs, but his new ability is more like an Attack-Boost instead of a One-Shot right?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
But isn't the whole thing about Leveling Up sort of geared against the Nat 20 Attack being useful as a narative progression?

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Serious Frolicking posted:

This is how I imagine Bell's ability being used in the future: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1yVdNv3uvQ. Bell is the ammunition, of course

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
The Argonaut skill is like a charged attack. The longer he charges, the harder the next attack will be. Amplifies drain on resources too, though.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
To be fair that Dragon was like a rare spawn in a single player area that Bell had outgrown anyway. I hope that once he gets to the higher levels the charge attacks will just do decent damage but the mobs will have party level HP.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Argonaut fayabolto looked like :hellyeah:.

Thought it was crazy that Bell got a 1 hit kill skill, but it makes more sense that its just a rare spawn in a floor he already crushes at his skill level.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I read through what's out of the manga version of Sword Oratoria, the spinoff focused on Aiz and the Loki Familia. Unlike most of the main story, I actually found it to actually be genuinely pretty good and interesting!

At this rate I might actually have to track down the LNs and give them a shot.

Dan7el posted:

Another thing: Aiz Wallenstein seems to be fairly young herself. She can't be past her early twenties at the most. We really need a bit more background on her because she doesn't make a lot of sense either. She's so young and yet the highest level adventurer. Either other's aren't serious or she's been adventuring since she was like 8 or something. Seems odd. She obviously knows what needs to be done to level up too, though.

It's the second one.

EDIT:

I also checked out the 4koma by the guy who made Ai Mai Mi (Is it wrong to delve into dungeons in the first place?) and most of it is just the madness of Ai Mai Mii with Danmachi characters.

Bakanogami fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jun 5, 2015

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Danmachi is basically the story of the people in the general world, while Sword Oratoria is the scene on the frontlines. They're both pretty nice in my opinion.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

ViggyNash posted:

It's a terrible idea.

Do it. Take pictures.

Off to A-kon tomorrow!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Off to A-kon tomorrow!

I'll keep an eye out for you, goon friend. I should be getting back to Dallas around 3ish, I think.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Off to A-kon tomorrow!

would

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Off to A-kon tomorrow!

I'd yes this cantaloupe

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Off to A-kon tomorrow!

Kawaii as gently caress.

Now I wonder how many others will do the same thing. I'm pretty much saying I'm hoping for a group shot of at least 10 Hestias.

Some Loki and Ganesh are acceptable.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
So have there been any more giffable moments similar to the toothbrushing scene or was that the pinnacle of this show's animation

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

If you're talking cool moments in general, Bell murdering fools and Bell's spin dash are up there.

If you mean self looping gifs the toothbrush scene is pretty much it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I mean Good Gif Moments Of Any Type From Danmachi. Post'em

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Captain Invictus posted:

I mean Good Gif Moments Of Any Type From Danmachi. Post'em

The show is actually pretty entertaining just to watch, it mostly focuses on Bell's character development over pure fan service and has some pretty hilarious and/or badass moments. I actually find myself looking forward to each new episode for reasons like plot or character development.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

look if you want pictures of hestia you can just ask

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The show is actually pretty entertaining just to watch, it mostly focuses on Bell's character development over pure fan service and has some pretty hilarious and/or badass moments. I actually find myself looking forward to each new episode for reasons like plot or character development.
I just remember folks goggling over one of the recent episode's action, but no gifs have been showing up whatsoever for this show, which is weird for something that seems fairly popular.

Cake Attack posted:

look if you want pictures of hestia you can just ask
ok if I want that I will remember that cake attack approves of the request.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Man, it's kind of amazing how much eye-watering brutality this show inflicts on its monsters, given its general tone.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Captain Invictus posted:

I just remember folks goggling over one of the recent episode's action, but no gifs have been showing up whatsoever for this show, which is weird for something that seems fairly popular.

ok if I want that I will remember that cake attack approves of the request.

http://sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/15805/animated-artist_unknown-dungeon_ni_deai_o_motomeru

http://sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/15791/akira_hamaguchi-animated-dungeon_ni_deai_o_motomer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Are we watching the same show? Because pretty much every episode has fuckloads of fanservice.

• Locked thread