Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Update 11: Gathering

Well I suppose that solves our gathering problem.

You didn't think I actually wasted a Coupon, did you? Nah, I just did that to show off how they worked. You actually want to put those things in storage. Anyways, back on the 2nd floor...

DS Version

Titan Arum
HP: 160
TP: 23
STR: 7
VIT: 9
AGI: 6
LUC: 13
TEC: 13
Attack Type: Slash
Exp: 189
Item Drops:
-Drop 1: Pungent Ivy - 45% Drop Rate. 1 needed for Ooyumi (Crossbow.) 3 needed for Repeater Bow (Crossbow.) 10 needed for Plague Mantle (Accessory.)
--An ambulatory flower's ivy that gives a pungent stench.
-Drop 2: N/A
-Gold: N/A
Description: A grotesque, enourmous flower. Its harmful pollen can infect anyone nearby, so take care.
Damage Resistances: Slash: 100% Strike: 100% Pierce: 100% Fire: 200% Ice: 100% Volt: 50%
Ailment Resistances: Sleep: 22% Confusion: 100% Plague: IMMUNE Poison: IMMUNE Blind: IMMUNE Curse: 100% Paralysis: 22%
Bind Resistances: Head: 100% Arm: 100% Leg: 100%
Other Resistances: Death: 100% Petrification: 100% Stun: 100%

Skills:

Vine Dance: Uses the Arms. Deals 120% Slash damage to a row.
Decay Breath: ???

Unlike the other enemies, Titan Arums are actually a threat. For one thing, they're the first random encounter that can attack multiple party members. But the main reason they're a threat is because they can summon Deadly Durians to pull off a nasty little move. Which will be shown off later.

But by themselves, they're not too scary. Just keep your front row topped off.

DS Version

Since we got a Pungent Ivy, let's give one to that guard.

You hand the item over to the guard, who eagerly snatches it away and puts it into his pack.

Thanks! That’s one less piece of junk I’ll have to find. I promised a reward, and here it is.

The guard gives you a small bottle.

Therica Bs dispel all types of ailments on a single ally. Handy. Though they can't deal with binds or death.

It’s not quite everything... But you’ve done more than enough! Thanks!

The guard hefts his large bag over his back and shifts his posture.

I’ll keep looking. You’re going back to investigating the forest, right? I’ll be praying for you. If you do find anything and you remember me out here... Feel free to come back again.

She seems to be searching for something... She notices your presence and rushes over.

Ummm, sorry to bother you! Could I speak with you for just a few moments?

What's wrong?

The apparent astrologer’s blonde hair sways as a torrent of words streams from her mouth.

I’m Hypatia, an astrologer with the Murotsumi guild, and I’m in some real trouble... Agata, a young ninja in the guild, got carried away and went deep into the forest all by himself!

The girl massages her temples with her slender fingertips and sighs deeply.

I can’t find him, and I’ve looked everywhere... I was hoping maybe you happened to see him... He’s an excitable little ball of energy. Have you seen any young ninja like that?

You catch yourself, knowing such a lie would shame your entire guild. You must answer the astrologer’s question truthfully!

I'm sorry to say that we haven't.

I see. Where in the world could Agata have gone...?

The girl’s brow furrows, then raises as she addresses you again, her expression bright.

Hey! If you don’t mind, um, maybe you could do me a favor? If you happen to see Agata while you’re out here, could you tell me where you saw him!?

Hypatia’s blonde hair again sways violently at the intensity of her request. You pause before answering, hesitant to add to your obligations in the Labyrinth.

If you say no:

On hearing your response, the crestfallen girl’s gaze drops to the forest floor.

Well... If you do see Agata... Maybe you could reconsider and come tell me anyway...?

The girl thanks you nonetheless before muttering in defeat that she is headed to Armoroad’s inn. You see the girl off as she leaves before resuming your explorations.

If you say yes:

Don't worry. We'll find him!

You graciously oblige the girl, who finally smiles and joyfully expresses her gratitude.

In that case, I’ll head back to Armoroad. I’ll be waiting at the inn. I’m counting on you...!

You see the girl off as she leaves before resuming your explorations.

Assuming he hasn't died yet.

And why would you say something like that?

Well, you have to admit that going off alone in a place like this would be suicide.

Well we won't know unless we find him dead. We gotta think positive!

I'm just being logical here.

C4 Take Point:
Anra Fruit: 70% Gather Rate.
Small Flower: 30% Gather Rate.
Hibiscus: Rare.
Common Gather Periods: 1 to 8.
Rare Gather Periods: 2 to 5.

The 2nd Take Point on this floor. Most floors have 2 of one kind of gathering point.

Oh thank goodness there's someone here! Please! You have to help me!

Hey, what's wrong, kid?

I-I-I was just gardening at my house, a-a-and I don't know how, but I ended up here! This place is scary! These huge cats and birds kept trying to eat me! It's so horrible! I just want to go home! :cry:

Uh. Wow. I'm... really sorry to hear that. It'll be alright kid. Don't worry. Shoot. It's almost daytime. What are we gonna do? We can't leave her in here.

Hmm. Aha! Here! This is something called an Ariadne Thread. Just use this, and you'll be sent to a town called Armoroad. Maybe someone can help you out there.

OH THANK YOU SO MUCH! :cry:

And Faye gets another level up. :toot:

Line Heal now has 70% healing power. Now it's almost daytime, so I head back to town to restock. The party is actually more than capable of handling Largebills. The real reason I want to explore at night is to get the Gigapede Legs for the quest. Largebills are really common in this Stratum, Gigapedes aren't.

DS Version

The equipment I got unlocked from this trip. And now I'll go ahead and show off gathering.

Now, where are we gonna find a Farmer?

Ah! Excuse me, ma'am!

Oh, you're that girl from earlier.

Yes. Um. My name is Alice. Thank you for saving me back there!

I heard that you needed someone that knows a lot about farming?

Yes, we do. We need to acquire materials from the Labyrinth, but finding a Farmer has been tough.

I... I want to help you out! I know how to harvest plants, chop down trees, and mine rocks.

Ah, excellent! We need to sell something called a Small Flower to this firm.

Okay, then just take me to where you want me to start working.

For demonstration purposes, I had Alice take a little rest, and relocated all her skill points into Harvestry.

Now that we have someone who knows how to gather, the game will let us do so.

And another convenience feature that was added is that the game will let you gather consecutively. Once you run out of gathering attempts, you have to wait until midnight for them to be refreshed. There's another way to refresh gathering attempts, but I'll talk about that later.

Okay. All done. You needed this Small Flower for the firm, right?

Thank you very much Miss Alice. By the way, how did you end up in this Labyrinth?

Um, I-I don't really remember what happened. I was gardening, and then... I think I fell into this hole. Then I saw a pink light of some kind, and I think I was underwater? Um...

If you don't remember, that's fine. Just, what are you gonna do now that you're here?

I-I'll try to find a way home. But let's sell all this first.

The stuff I unlocked from that farming trip.

You also unlock Nectars, which are really important and expensi-wait, what!?

:stare: They made those a lot cheaper!? Man, Edie would probably have a heart attack if she knew she was selling those at a massive discount. Let's stock up!

:flaccid:

And here's a not too popular change that was made. Consumables that you unlock from selling items from Take Points MUST be restocked, where being forced to restock items was limited to FOE and boss drops, and a bunch of post-game stuff. This means that you can't buy as many Nectars as you want if you didn't sell enough materials to the store, which is why they're a lot cheaper in this game. At any rate, we're done with that quest.

Hi, do you have a moment? Thanks to everybody gathering Small Flowers for me, my stock of Nectar is back up. It’s a great restorative, and it’s a must for explorers out in the forest. Oh, I’ve sent your reward to the girl at the bar. Don’t forget to get it from her. Thank you for helping me with this request. I’ll make sure to ask for you next time.

Now she has a different line of dialogue if you already sold her the Small Flower before taking the quest.

Oh, hello. Can I help you with anything? My request...? ...Oh! Oh, boo! How could I be so careless!? I already have the materials I need to make Nectar, but I didn’t cancel the request. Ugh... Well, I have to keep my word, or my store’s reputation will never survive. Go see the girl at the bar for your reward. Sorry for the trouble... Sheesh...

Ah, welcome back, adventurers! You are safe, I see? I am hearing from the girl at Napier’s Firm that you are being successful. Gathering materials like this may be making your travels easier. Be remembering that! Here is the reward! All for you! Here you go! Congratulation!

The Volt Forge is an elemental forge, so it provides an extra 10% boost to regular attack damage. Now, something to keep in mind is that if you have 2 Volt Forges, which would make your regular attacks do 120% damage, and you attack an enemy that takes 200% damage from Volt attacks, the damage would only increase to 140%, not 240%.

Now sometimes when you're gathering consecutively, this message can pop up.

In my little info text for the gather points, I said that some items were rare. This is what I meant by that, rare items can only be received during these periods. Farmers do have a passive that lets them get rare items during common gathering periods.

Of course, there's a risk involved with this.

Sometimes you'll get into a random battle. For those of you that have played EO2, gathering ambushes are back. But, they won't always be ambushes, and sometimes you can actually get a preemptive strike. You just get into a random encounter depending on which tile you're on. Also, those rare gather periods are the only times you can get into a fight. Gathering battles don't eat up a gathering attempt either, so that's very nice.

quote:

D5 Chop Point:
Soft Bark: 70% Gather Rate.
Supple Branch: 30% Gather Rate.
Palm Trunk: Rare.
Common Gather Periods: 1 to 12.

If you were wondering what common and rare gathering periods meant, the game selects a random number between those ranges for each gathering period. For common gathering periods, if the game selects the number 11, you have to gather consecutively 11 times before the rare gather periods kick in. Now if the game selects the number 2 for rare gather periods, you're allowed to get 2 rare items. Go over that hidden number, and you'll get into a fight. So if you're really concerned about fights, never say yes more than the minimum number of attempts allowed.

Here's another set of items I unlocked. Elemental oils imbue your regular attacks with a certain element. Using a Blaze Oil on a sword user would turn their regular attacks into Fire/Slash attacks. However, elemental oils will completely nullify any elemental forges that are on the weapon, even if both the oil and the forges are the same damage type, so beware of that.

Success! I have severed its legs!

Be careful with those now.

There's a Greedy Lizard up here, but there's actually no way to get past it without fighting it. So let's go!

DS Version

Oh, what? :argh:

AUGH!

Okay, a minor setback. I'll just use my standard tactics of opening up with Charge Tactic and Mumyouken.

...Crap. Plan B, RUN!

How did we get blindsided when we were in front of it...?

And here's the first actual death in the LP.

We must make a hasty retreat!

So here's something very annoying. When you switch out your party members for whatever reason, any limits the switched out members had are unequipped, so you have to remember to reequip them when you switch them back in.

Round 2!

ARE YOU SERIOUS!? It only has 14 AGI, how does that happen twice in a row!? :argh:

A better question. How did that happen twice...?

Stop attacking me you stupid lizard! :argh:

Cassie! Wake up!

Ugh. Thanks. Let's be more cautious this time.

At least the party's dealing more damage than they did in the 1st fight with one of these.

It's probably not a problem! Probably...

Ugh, what a disaster. Hey, wake up!

I'm back, you subnormal halfwit!

Fortunately, there weren't too many problems after that.

DS Version

Line Guard reduces physical damage by 40% if cast on the Hoplite's own row. Otherwise, it only reduces the damage by 18%.

Hello there. I am Akatsuki. Pleased to meet you. Hello there Akatsuki, I am Akatsuki. Pleased to meet you.

Bunshin creates a complete clone of the Ninja, and the clone can do everything the original can do. Handy, and this ability is the reason why you should never use Kagerou after the 1st Stratum.

Dark Ether is almost maxed out.

The Greedy Lizard's patrol path. I was serious about having to fight it to get past it.

And this is why I wanted to fight it.

Uh, why is there a book here?

Huh, lemme see that thing.

Weird. Once I read this, I felt like I got stronger.

How interesting. I wonder if there's more of these books out there.

So here's a bit of an unbalanced element in EO3. There are books that can raise any stat by 1 point. Useful for giving a little boost to your party members. The unbalanced part is that you can do this as much as you want. And books are not finite, there's a way to farm for an infinite number of them. So yes, you could make it so that your party has 99 in every stat (the cap), and do something like turning a Farmer into a physical powerhouse. Predictably, this got nerfed in EO4, which placed a cap on how many books a party member is allowed to read, and made book farming a pain.

That's not saying that book farming is easy in this game. It's still very tedious and time consuming to even accomplish reaching 99 in all 5 stats for one party member, let alone 5. So when I'm talking about things statwise, book farming will not even enter the equation, because I'm going to assume that normal players don't have that kind of time to waste. Also, I will not book farm in this LP because of how tedious it is.

There's another Greedy Lizard down this path, but you can't get past it without fighting it. Anyways, thanks to the Greedy Lizard fight messing a lot of things up, I'm low on supplies, so I got back to turn in the report for the Gigapede quest.

DS Version

Ah, hello, my adventuring friends. Alive you are, and with the Gigapede Leg, yes? Yes, this is a Gigapede Leg, and no mistake! I will see it gets to the client. Thank you! How was the Labyrinth at night? Scary, yes? Many monsters only come out once darkness falls. Here is the reward as I was promising. I can count on you for more requests, yes?

Wait, there was a trigger on this thing? I just kept pulling the string back.

Leveling up Bolt Mastery unlocks this skill, which I will get later, but not now. There's a different skill I want first.

The Pendant's Book gives regular attacks a 21% chance to inflict sleep. Pass.

DS Version

There's another Greedy Lizard that patrols these parts.

There's a shortcut you have to duck through in order to get past it.

:signings:

Therica As dispel all binds. Handy.

Madoras are awesome consumables. They restore 150 HP to a row. They replace the Somas that were in the first two games, which were consumables that healed the whole party.

Can't open this one for the moment.

Line Heal now has a healing power of 75%.

Here are the stairs, but I won't go down them just yet. Still a bit more to the floor.

This shortcut opens up a very quick route to the stairs.

The brown mushrooms growing near the roots on both sides of the path smell and look delicious. The sight of the mushrooms makes your mouth water... You consider picking them for later.

Ah! I believe those mushrooms may make for a nutritious snack!

Hmm, nice find. Let's check those out later.

This event is only available at night.

The thin branch cover allows you to look up and see a sky thick with stars. You are tempted to gaze at the starry heavens for a while, despite other pressing issues.

Oh, how absolutely beautiful! Let's spend some time here!

You decide to stop and enjoy the beauty of the night sky for a brief while... ...The serenity of the heavenly vista soaks into you. You find its brilliance soothing...

Yeah, let's have another break. Man, this place really is pretty. It's too bad there's so many dangerous monsters here.

And other stuff, like plants. Ugh.

That was your fault. Why would you eat a random plant growing out in the open?

It looked tasty, okay!?

Calm down, you two. Just relax and enjoy the view, okay? Ahh...

The area near the stairs is the best place to find Gigapedes.

I'm ecstatic! Ahahaha!

Unfortunately, I don't get any more of their legs. :argh:

Also, I forgot to get the mushrooms. Oh well, I'll show that off later.

The sunlight pouring in from above warms the clearing, making it a haven within the Labyrinth. In the hall’s center are the same mushrooms that were growing on the side of the path before. There is nothing barring your way from picking one of the mushrooms should you choose.

I'm hungry! Let's chow down!

Wait! Don't! Those aren't-

DS Version

What had appeared to be a small mushroom is revealed as a fungus-shaped monster! Too late, you realize their form is designed to mimic mushrooms to lure explorers in... If you don’t want to become a meal for the mushroom, draw your weapons and strike it down!

...Mushrooms.

Dammit, Sidney!

DS Version

Venomshroom
HP: 60
TP: 31
STR: 8
VIT: 11
AGI: 10
LUC: 15
TEC: 9
Attack Type: Strike
Exp: 182
Item Drops:
-Drop 1: Poison Hypha - 30% Drop Rate. 1 needed for Chemise (Clothes.) 3 needed for Paralysis Ankh (Accessory.) 5 needed for Small Sword (Rapier.)
--Toadstool's hypha that's dangerous to the touch.
-Gold: Pseudopod - 80% Drop Rate. Kill on the 1st turn. 1 needed for Flame Lance (Gun.)
--Ferrule that feels rugged despite its appearance.
Description: A mushroom that adapted to the labyrinth. It uses the last of its strength to release poison spores.
Damage Resistances: Slash: 100% Strike: 100% Pierce: 100% Fire: 150% Ice: 100% Volt: 50%
Ailment Resistances: Sleep: 100% Confusion: 100% Plague: 100% Poison: 100% Blind: 100% Curse: 100% Paralysis: 25%

Skills:

Poison Spores: Does not use a body part. Attempts to inflict Poison on the entire party, and has a 50% chance of succeeding. The Poison ticks for 30 damage.

Despite being enemies from the 3rd floor, Venomshrooms are not a threat at all. All they'll do in battle is either attack for a low amount of damage, or defend. There is one trick to them.

How cheap and dishonora- :barf:

Some enemies have a skill that they will cast when they die. Because of this, you want to either kill the Venomshrooms last in a fight, or if there are multiple, kill them all at the same time.

At least I got their conditional drops.

And now we have a quick route to the stairs.

Now if you run into these combination of enemies, you want to be careful.

Ugh, what a nasty OH GOD I'M MELTING!

AAAAHHHHH! My arm is falling off!

Is that... bone!? :barf:

Some enemies have access to Limits. When certain enemies are paired up together, they can pull off a nasty special attack. However, if you kill off one of the enemies before they can use the attack, then the attack will fail.

Decay Breath: Limit Skill. Requires a Titan Arum and a Deadly Durian. Uses the Head. An AOE Pierce attack that deals 70% damage, and has a 30% chance to inflict Plague. The Plague ticks for 15 damage.

Plague is a status effect that's exclusive to EO3. It acts like Poison in that infected party members take damage at the end of every turn, but the real nasty part is that it's contagious. Meaning at the end of every turn, your party members (Or the enemies if one of them gets infected with Plague) have a chance of getting hit with this ailment as long as one person is infected. Cure it as fast as possible.

Those enemies are a hard lesson in that you need to beware of certain combinations of enemies as well.

Perhaps we should go back to get them medical attention?

Actually, we're fine now. See? My skin stopped rotting away.

Hey, my arm's back!

What? But that's just... :psyduck:

There's only one ailment that lasts after battle, and that's something called Petrification. All other ailments will be instantly cured after the battle's over.

DS Version

The final shortcut in this place.

And here's the patrol path of the Greedy Lizard from earlier.

Hamaos restore 50 HP and 25 TP. Could be handy if you're super drained, but I never find myself using these much. I generally use a HP or a TP restore instead of an item that restores both at the same time.

I went back and sold all my items to unlock new equipment.

:toot:

Line Guard now decreases physical damage by a whopping 43% if casted on the Hoplite's own row. Otherwise, it reduces it by a measly 20%.

I opt to level up Akatsuki's class skill here. It now reduces the TP cost of all of his skills by 1.

Asteria has mastered Dark Ether, which costs 10 TP to cast. Which means...

:getin:

Oh yes. These skills. These skills are fantastic and should be maxed out as soon as possible. Singularity is the very reason why you want your Zodiac to diversify elements instead of focusing on a single elemental skill. I'll go into these later. But you want to max out Singularity, then Etheric Charge.

We're done with the 2nd floor for now.

Now I go back to town immediately since I triggered new dialogue and quests. But before I do anything else, let's check on the rest of the guild members.

Royal Veil now heals 18 HP to everyone as long as her HP is topped off.

Nothing shall stand in our way as long as I'm alive!

Leveling up Royal Veil to 5 unlocks this skill. Triumphant Cry restores 26 HP to everyone as long as Susan is alive at the end of the battle.

Forward! We must press onward!

Leveling up Triumphant Cry to 5 unlocks this skill. Monarch March is a field skill that heals the party by a certain amount every time the party takes a step. In this case, the party heals 1 HP per step. Eventually Monarch March will completely eliminate the need for out of battle healing, which saves up on a ton of resources. However, I don't advise leveling the skill past 5. Depending on what you want your Princess to do, they can be an extremely skill point hungry class, and they'll need every single skill point they can get their hands on. And healing more than 5 HP per step is pure overkill.

Unfortunately, due to the way I've skilled Susan, she's nothing but a Farmer right now. She has no skills, and the only way she can contribute to battles is by simply existing.

Victory at any cost!

I put 1 level into Berserker's Vow. What it does is sacrifice 30% of the Gladiator's current HP in order to give them a 30% boost to their physical damage output for 4 turns. No matter how much HP the Gladiator has left, the HP penalty cannot kill them. The HP penalty and the power of the buff increases as you level it up, resulting in a 90% HP loss but it increases their physical damage output by a whopping 90% at level 10. Now you might think this is a skill where you shouldn't level it up too much. If you think that, you're dead wrong. First off, the HP penalty is completely negligible if you have a Hoplite (And you should.) Secondly, this is the strongest buff skill in the game. For comparison, buff skills cap out at a 45% damage increase. Berserker's Vow is the only skill that goes past that.

All who fall in battle will be avenged!

Putting a single point into Berserker's Vow unlocks this skill. This is a passive that heals the Gladiator every time an ally dies. At level 3 it restores 70 HP to the Gladiator upon an ally's death. Not really a great skill, but I level it up to 3 to unlock another skill.

Strike them while they're weak!

Wolf Howl is an AOE debuff that increases the damage the enemies take from all damage types, including Almighty. Unfortunately, the defense debuff is miniscule unless the enemy is inflicted with a status ailment. Binds and Stuns do not count. At level 3 the enemies take an extra 11% damage from all attacks if they don't have an ailment, but they will take an extra 32% damage if they do have an ailment. I don't consider this skill great because of how weak ailments are in this game. And for the most part, you want your Gladiator to be attacking, not supporting.

This ought to put a dent in those monsters.

Now leveling up Avenger and Wolf Howl to 3 will unlock this skill, which you want to max out. Charge isn't a buff, but it increases the damage output of the next physical attack the Gladiator does by 220% at level 2. The charge effect will be wasted if the Gladiator's next action is something other than using a physical attack. This also works on Limits, so they're the best class to initiate physical attack Limits. All this makes it seems like there's absolutely no reason to use any other physical damage dealers, right? I mean, Arbalists can't buff themselves or charge up attacks, so why would you ever bother with them? Well don't count out the other physical damage dealers just yet, I'll say that much.

Trickster now restores Scott's TP by 3 every time he uses an attack skill.

Rapier Mastery is now level 5, which provides a 6% damage increase to his regular attacks (as long as he's using a Rapier.) Now I had Scott take a rest and got rid of Lights Out. I don't find that skill useful past the early-game.

3 points into Rapier mastery unlocked these Chaser skills. They are awful, do not take them.

I hope you didn't need your head.

Leveling up Rapier Mastery to 5 unlocks Hanging. If you're using a rapier Buccaneer, you want this skill maxed out as soon as possible. Buccaneers have very little early-game presence, and Hanging is the earliest contribution they can make. What this skill does is deal a lot of damage, and has a secondary effect in that it can bind the enemy's head. Which can be really nice if it procs against a tough enemy. At level 3, it deals 172% damage, and has a 46% chance to bind the enemy's head.

Wild Mastery is now level 7, which gives an extra 11% chance for the Wildling's animals to inflict their ailments.

Ooh! A butterfly! Let's be friends!

If you've played the first two games, you may remember a nasty early game enemy called a Venomfly, that could Poison your party and were a pain to deal with. Well guess what, now they're your allies. Venomflies will attack a single target with Slash damage in an attempt to Poison them. The infliction rate is actually the same at all levels, which is a 40% base chance. Leveling this skill up increases their damage output, their HP, and the Poison damage. At level 4, the Poison ticks for 140 damage. The Venomfly's base HP is 26, and their initial attack does 75% damage. Their AI attacks deal 65% damage.

Now Wildling's are a bit of a complicated class. See, the animals they summon are a copy of them, statwise. The stats are then multiplied by a certain amount depending on the animal that gets summoned, which is 70% in the case of the Venomfly. Beasts do not take the Wilding's equipment into account, aside from certain forges. Their attack power is their STR stat multiplied by 2 (after the stat multiplier is applied.) Beasts have no defense at all, aside from their VIT and the defense boost from Beast Soul, so they can be pretty fragile. Also, after the initial cast, beasts will operate on an AI, and their attacks will deal a different amount of damage than they did on the initial cast. The AI also differs from beast to beast, but I'll save that for the Wildling Class Showcase.

Leveling up Wild Mastery to 5 unlocks this skill. Call Owl summons a Hypnowl (An enemy from the 2nd game, which is not in this game) to put all enemies to sleep. I don't know if I'll get this skill or not.

Leveling up Wild Mastery to 7 and Call Insect to 4 unlocks Call Elephant. The Elephant inflicts confusion upon all enemies, and the initial attack is an AOE, which is the really important part in the early-game. Remember, you want an AOE skill before the end of the 1st Stratum.

Earth's Bounty now gives a 14% boost to exp.

Lullaby now has a 25% chance to put all enemies to sleep.

Leveling up Lullaby to 3 unlocks these skills. Strange Seeds inflicts random binds upon all enemies at the end of the turn. I don't consider this useful because of the random nature, and because binds are pretty weak in this game. Rotten Egg is an offensive version of Wolf Howl, in that it decreases all enemies' damage outputs of all kinds of attacks by a miniscule amount in normal conditions, but heavily decreases their attack power if they have an ailment.

You know what this does.

Watch out for that FOE!

Keen Eye shows all FOEs on the map for a certain number of steps. At level 1, it lasts for a whopping 5 steps. Whoopee. :geno: Also this skill is completely useless if you make good maps, and be sure to step on as many tiles as possible.

Oh, a special Ariadne Thread? Just for me? Thank you!

Putting a single point into Keen Eye unlocks this skill. To Market warps the party back to town for the cost of 13 TP. Yes, it's essentially an infinite use Ariadne Thread. You definitely want this in your farming parties, and if you're using a Farmer in your main party.

Next time: The 3rd floor.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Sep 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Wildlings sound pretty cool.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Wildlings sound pretty cool.

"Sounds cool but has a hard time in practice" is kinda this game's deal, unfortunately.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Heh, there's actually slightly different text if you've already eaten the mushrooms outside. Little things! :3:

I am slightly disappointed Akatsuki is going to be out of the party for the third floor, if only for his greeting Agata.

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012
I know it'll be a long way away and someone else probably asked, but would you be doing an LP of Persona Q in the future since it runs on not just Megaten, but also on EO gameplay?

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Recording 3DS gameplay requires hardware modifications in the price range of 3 digits.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
The one person who does it is also almost always out of the hardware he needs, so even if the price doesn't bother you, you still have to wait for months on end for him to get stuff in to do it in the first place. And then pray that you get lucky enough to get it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Thank god you managed to get your Zodiac on your team. Third floor turns into a huge pain in the rear end without some good source of elemental damage. I guess a strong Wildling summoning an insect could work too though.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Poison Spores: Limit Skill. Requires a Titan Arum and a Deadly Durian. Uses the Head. An AOE Pierce attack that deals 70% damage, and has a 30% chance to inflict Plague. The Plague ticks for 15 damage.

I think you copied the Venomshroom's ability again. That should be decay breath.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I do suggest you use Scott at least once in the early game. That way we can appreciate just how much buccaneers improve.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Man I don't see any reason whatsoever to use buccaneers if their main class gimmick is awful.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Looking forward to some other party members coming out to play on the 3rd Stratum.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Dr Pepper posted:

Man I don't see any reason whatsoever to use buccaneers if their main class gimmick is awful.

There's a very good reason to use them in the end-game, which I'm sure Dr. Fetus will show us when we get to that point.

8_Escape
Dec 26, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

Well, you have to admit that going off alone in a place like this would be suicide.
This got me thinking, how feasible would you consider a solo character run of this game?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Very feasible. People in the EO thread have done this before.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

HR12345 posted:

I know it'll be a long way away and someone else probably asked, but would you be doing an LP of Persona Q in the future since it runs on not just Megaten, but also on EO gameplay?

Even if I had the equipment necessary to do so, I don't know if I want to touch Persona Q again, because I got burned out pretty hard on that game. And I don't like it nearly as much as I do the main EO games. Also I guess while I'm on that train of thought, I don't know if I would touch EO4 in that case either. I like the game, but I don't know nearly as much about it as I do the first 3 games, so uh, I wouldn't be able to tell you as much under the hood stuff there. Though I would be able to give out general strategies and tactics, I guess.

RareAcumen posted:

I think you copied the Venomshroom's ability again. That should be decay breath.

I actually made several mistakes in the update, which took a while to fix because of terrible WiFi. :suicide: Fixed all the mistakes though.

Dr Pepper posted:

Don't count them out just yet. If their Chasers were all they had going for them, then yes, they would be terrible.

8_Escape posted:

This got me thinking, how feasible would you consider a solo character run of this game?

Not something a first time player should do. At all. People were crazy enough to do some though, and someone actually completed the postgame with a solo Wildling, and someone on these forums also completed a solo [TOP SECRET] run of everything, postgame included.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
You left out the line introducing Hanging, Fetus. Instead the 'chasers are awful, do not take' line repeats.

thenightsshadow
May 12, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

[i]Leveling up Lullaby to 3 unlocks these skills. Strange Seeds inflicts random binds upon all enemies at the end of the turn. I don't consider this useful because of the random nature, and because binds are pretty weak in this game. Rotten Egg is an offensive version of Wolf Howl, in that it decreases all enemies' damage outputs of all kinds of attacks by a miniscule amount in normal conditions, but heavily decreases th

Something got cut out at the very end there. One more thing to fix.

I mentioned this before, but I don't see the point of having an AOE if what I think you're alluding to is what you want it for. I'll bring it up later, but you don't need an AOE attack.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Persona Q is alright in small doses, but man do those later game dungeons wear out their welcome fast. Not to mention the amount of :words:.

No/Low chance of an EO4 LP from Dr. Fetus does make me sad, though.

thenightsshadow
May 12, 2013
One slight addendum to my last update.

I just finished doing one of the Meregho Saeno Sea Quests five times. I...completely forgot to take Earth's Bounty into account for the equal EXP playthrough requirement I'm abiding by. Not a problem though, as long as you had your Farmer pair up with the same person twice. Take your remaining three party members, and take them in to face off against two Forest Frogs and two Deadly Durian. That'll give you the extra 80 EXP you need to keep everyone on the same EXP bar level.

thenightsshadow fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jun 2, 2015

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
This update had some REALLY GREAT bits. I loved Alice's introduction to the team :)

While Dr. Fetus is right about every physical damage dealer getting their time to shine, Charge + Mumyouken is some amazing magic. My current party's first turns are always supportive, so my gladiator will cast charge and my princess will cast Attack Order on the Gladiator. Then Mumyouken with allll that and Charge Tactic will do QUADRUPLE the most per-hit damage I can do, per each of it's three hits. It'd be the equivalent of Mumyouken doing 300 total damage for Dr. Fetus' party (although I'm pretty far along and you'd need more levels for all the skill points to do this).

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Make a patreon/kick starter for a 3ds capture device. The EO spice must flow :getin:

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012
Nice to see I'm as thoroughly caught up with this LP as I am with the Drakengard 3 LP. I feel like an idiot when I come into these games new, even when I had an Action Replay for my old DS.

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

HR12345 posted:

Nice to see I'm as thoroughly caught up with this LP as I am with the Drakengard 3 LP. I feel like an idiot when I come into these games new, even when I had an Action Replay for my old DS.

That's always a fun part of floor one and two. "Heh, two Fanged Fish has become an easy encounter. Oh, here they are with one new guy. I'm sure this will be a bree- OH WHAT THE gently caress HAPPENED WHAT DID I DO WRONG"

(And Floor 3, and 4, 5...)

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
So, I managed to finish up the first quest, though the loving Durans decided that Terrie didn't deserve to see (OH GOD WHY IS IT ALWAYS THE EYES!?), so that was fun. And even when Rayn was using Provoke, the Lynxes decided to BITE MY ZODIAC'S FACE OFF MULTIPLE TIMES. That was not fun. I did finish up the other quests, and...well, I decided to feed the XP to my second party consisting of...

Thi the Wilding
Demetrius the Farmer
Beula the Buccaneer
Sallie the Princess (No not THAT Sally)
and Hecate the Ninja

They will stay with Combat Study as their active skill for now, all five of them hit level 3 with quest XP alone, so they will have a level 5 Combat study by this point. The main party consisting of Rayn/Terrie Kemix/Dena/Mona have also hit level 4 at this point from the Main Quest turn in XP and combat alone, I have distributed points to the following skills

Rayn: 1 more in Provoke, 2 in Guardian
Terrie: 2 in Sword Mastery, 1 in Break
Kemix: 3 in Form Qi
Mona: 1 in Volt Mastery, 1 in Ice/Volt Star
Dena: 3 in Giant Kill

Equipment is to remain the same until I A. Do the Sea and B. Get more monstar parts to sell and unlock equipments with.

Next time: Atlantis Do the Sea

PS: The ship's name is Ariel

Kemix fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 2, 2015

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Update 12: Tragedy Strikes?

Ha ha! My glorious journey to RULE THE UNIVERSE starts here!

Huh? You guys really want to join us?

Yeah, we happened to see you fighting during our time in the Labyrinth, and we want in. Besides, all the other guilds were full.

I don't know if we should let people join us just because they asked.

Um. Well, I guess adding in more people can't hurt.

But- Fine. Okay, your names please?

I am MEGAQUEEN! SOON TO BE RULER OF ALL THE COSMOS!

...Uh huh. Your name, please?

I am MEGAQUEEN!

...Your name. PLEASE.

I said, I. AM. ME-

Her name's Susan.

Rose! Why would you- um. Yes. I suppose that is my birth name. Thanks for ruining it.

Don't mind her. Anyways, name's Rose. Nice to meet you.

Let the carnage begin!

This was a mistake. :ughh:

Nah, I'm sure it'll work out.

Still... They lack experience. Perhaps we should send them into the Labyrinth so they may hone their skills.

Huh. Good idea. But... Aha! Asteria! Keep an eye on them! The rest of us are taking some time off!

Wha!? Bu- oh fiddlesticks. Wait, where's Scott?

Dunno. Said something about helping out with maintenance on the Tug Life or something. Whose idea was it to name the ship that anyways?

DS Version

Well, it's going fairly well.

Oh, there’s a lady here called Miss Hypatia who’s using our inn as a base, but she seems down. If you happen to see her around, you should talk to her!

DS Version

Well? Is your exploration proceeding apace? I’d certainly hate to see you die in the Labyrinth...

Your concern is greatly apprecia-

It always saddens me to lose such steady customers.

:raise:

:allears:

Where did you get those?

...Hm? Oh. You. Does it keep ya up at night, wondering how I got this thing? Funny coincidence, that... I’m in the mood for a drink before I head to bed.

Um, here's some water!

...Ahhhh! That hit the spot! I’m the luckiest man alive!

No no, he needs an actual drink. Here you go. Now how did you acquire that object?

A good vintage like this makes me feel like I could melt away...

AHEM! You were supposed to tell us about that... thing.

Oh, my little bauble here! Right! It’s a Pseudopod. Adorable, ain’t it? This little rarity’s a beaut that’s great for decorating or just having around! The Venomshroom’s pseudopods are fragile, though, so ya gotta kill ’em quick and clean. Don’t tell anyone, okay? This’ll be our little secret.

Here's another drink. Care to spill any information on the other object?

Gotta love the way all I have to do is hint at it, and ya jump at the chance. Heh! This trinket’s got a past. Look! It’s a Bloody Blade! Ya see that slimy sheen!? It’s the claw of a particular Scylla Crab. It’s been soaked with many an explorer’s blood... Very few actually have claws like this, so ya’ll be hunting a while to find one. Don’t tell anyone else, though, okay? This is between you and me, got that!?

The drop Toma told us about isn't a conditional drop, it's just a rare one, which is the game telling us that some drops will be a pain to get.

Dumb blade’s chipped again. Guess I got what I paid for... that thing’s shell is just too hard. Oh, sorry... I was talking about the Scylla Crab on B3F, by the waters. Its shell is super-hard. It’d be faster if I could just zap it with some elemental attacks. *sigh* Maybe there’s some Zodiacs around who’d team up with me? Hey, do you guys know any? Of course, it’d have to be a really rich Zodiac. Oh, and no uggos, either.

Um, sorry. But we don't know anyone like that.

This advice is a bit misleading. Scylla Crabs aren't actually resistant to physical attacks. In normal circumstances anyway. You do want elemental attacks in your party to deal with it.

Are you guys explorers too!? Be careful if you’re headed for B3F!

Mind telling us why?

Because of the hippos, you dummy! There was this GIANT hippo across the river! I was just lounging around staring at it! And no, I’m not an idiot! We’re talking about the hippos! So then, what the hell! The hippos came tearing after me! Not around--right over the river towards me! Don’t underestimate hippos or you’ll be dead! Who knew they could swim!?

Oho, a search and rescue mission?

Oh, you are accepting this request? I only put that up there a moment ago. A party from the Pale Horse Guild went into the Labyrinth a week ago... and never returned. The request is to help the guild search for them... Though they’re probably dead. The other members of Pale Horse left for the Labyrinth right after making this request. They said they would split up on B2F, so it may be good for you to meet them there, too. Those Pale Horse people are not knowing when to be throwing in the towel, yes? ...No, no, they are caring for their fellows! Never mind me! Go and help them, explorers!

How morbid.

Oh, maybe I can help out with this one.

...Oh? You are accepting this request? This one comes from Armoroad’s Farming Committee. I hear they are trying to develop a vegetable both tasty and resistant to the salty air. They are calling Farmers from far and wide to discuss the issues. Are you having any Farmers in your guild? Perhaps you could share your knowledge with the committee if you do...

Alice, do you want to help out? You are a Farmer after all, and I'm sure they'll appreciate your talents.

O-oh. Th-thank you, but I don't think I'm qualified enough for this. I just got here recently.

Ah, looking to get more experience? That's what I like to see!

Now this quest needs a Farmer that's level 2 or above to complete. Simple enough, right? However! There is a bigger reward you can get if you bring a Farmer that's at level 10 or above. Oh and if you played EO2, don't worry, this quest is safe to take and won't cause any lag problems. Also I should mention that this is the only quest in the game that asks for a specific class to complete.

DS Version

What I’m saying is, right now you folks are still just waltzing down the road more traveled. An explorer’s real thrill comes through investigating unmapped areas. Don’t forget that.

DS Version

That’s why you should always keep your ship in pristine condition, even if you’re not sailing.

DS Version

You’re at about the place where most novice explorers run home, their tails between their legs. Don’t let me down, mm?

Hmm. I really wonder if going in with only 4 people would be a good idea.

Hey! Are you all heading into the Labyrinth too?

Um, yeah. We were just about to enter it.

Can I PLEASE come with you? I tried going in by myself, but those cats are so mean. :(

And just who are you?

I'm Fang! I wanna make lots of animal friends in the Labyrinth! I've already made friends with a butterfly! Look!

Ah! So you're a Wildling. Hmm, I suppose you can come with us.

That's... kind of a weird goal.

Ah, but he is following his dreams, and who are we to deny such an opportunity for him? WELCOME!

I had the thread vote for a team, and these classes are the ones I'll be going with.

DS Version

The request you accepted to search for missing explorers springs to your mind... Since the guard’s duty is to patrol the Labyrinth, he may know something helpful. You can ask the guard about the Pale Horse members, or leave him be.

You decide to speak to the guard about the members of Pale Horse that went missing.

Excuse me, sir! Do you know anything about Pale Horse?

Pale Horse? Oh, the guild. Has something happened?

You tell the guard about the request to find the missing members of Pale Horse Guild.

Some of their members are lost, you say...? No, I don’t know anything about that.

Um. Now what?

However, the Bertram Guild has always been friendly with Pale Horse. Try asking them. They just finished up a quest of their own, so you should find them at Butterfly Bistro.

Thanks for the info.

You thank the guard and decide to return to your investigation.

DS Version

Occasionally, some bar patrons will only appear when you're on a quest.

You're from the Bertram Guild, right? Do you know anything about the Pale Horse Guild? They've been missing for a week.

Pale Horse is lost? This is a joke, right? Uh... wow, they posted a request? ...Whoa, you’re right. ...So you’re serious? Hahahah, THE Pale Horse is lost!? Now that’s rich!

What's so funny about that?

They’re famous for playing it safe. They’re usually too over-cautious to make a move at all. It’s ridiculous. Their motto is, ”Those who control the campgrounds control the Labyrinth.” Who knows, maybe you’ll be able to find something if you check the campground on B2F. Good luck with that! We’ll head out too once we get settled here!

DS Version

Long time, no see, everyone. Is your investigation going well?

You are free to ask her some questions, or you can simply leave her alone.

According to what you heard from the Bertram Guild member, the missing people used campgrounds. You decide to ask Olympia about the Pale Horse members that have gone missing.

Did you see any members of the Pale Horse Guild around here recently?

...Pale Horse, you say? Yes, I did see them. They camped here last night.

Gaining hope from her words, you explain what is happening and ask for more information.

Last night? Then there's a chance that they're still alive! Do you know anything more about them?

Speaking of them, I found this after they left here. I hope it can be of some use...

Olympia removes a piece of paper from her robe and hands it to you.

The blue horse marking shows that this was a Pale Horse journal! The page says: ”It’s about time we headed down to the 3rd floor. Considering our current abilities, we should be able to reach as far as the 7th floor. But, caution precedes all. We look before we leap, and never leap if we don’t like the looks.
I believe the best thing to do when we reach the 3rd floor is find a place to strike camp. The ability to explore hinges on the ability to find a safe place to rest.

You can thank Olympia for the paper and leave, or continue asking for more information.

Now after you get farther into the game, Olympia won't be here anymore. If you've accepted the quest after that point, you can examine the spot where she used to be to get the diary page.

Following the tip the member of the Bertram Guild gave you, you come to a campground. Although the area is clear, you find traces of previous campers after a brief search. You discover a scrap of a journal in a pile of ash!

You get the diary page at that point, and then the game continues on as normal.

You can also ask Olympia about Pale Horse again to get more dialogue.

You think that Olympia may know more about the Pale Horse members, and ask her about them.

Do you have any more info on them?

...I only saw them packing up in the morning, but they seemed to be in high spirits. If they did as the journal I gave you said, I would assume they made camp again on B3F...

Olympia falls silent. ...You can ask her another question or leave this place.

As Olympia seems to be a more experienced explorer than you, you decide to ask about camping.

Any advice on, um, camping?

...Let’s see. Armoroad has developed a simple tent design that can be set up by anyone. However, Farmers are used to living outdoors. You will sleep better with one in the party. If you do have a Farmer in the party, you would do well to rely on their knowledge in the field.

Olympia smiles at you amiably. You may ask her another question or leave this place.

You decide that you have nothing to ask her right now, and you tell her as much.

I understand. I’m going to remain here for a while longer. If there is anything else you’d like to ask, please come back here and find me.

You say your farewells to Olympia before taking your leave.

Bye now! I hope to see you again later! Let's see... Hmm. Now what would be a good monster to test your abilities on...?

Aha!

Wh-What are you doing!?

Unfortunately, I did something dumb and sidestepped into an FOE.

DS Version

Ha, a giant lizard? I like your style!

Awww, do we really have to kill it?

I don't think this is a good idea!

Eh, let's see how this party fares against it. Should be a good way to compare these classes with the ones I've used before.

Due to the way the enemy targeting system works, I'm going to assume that the Greedy Lizard will go for Rose, and I'll have to heal her up. If it goes for anyone else, well I'm screwed. It's super important to get a good start here.

CHAAAARGE! :black101:

U-um, ch-chaaaarge? Y-you know. I don't think I'm good at fighting. Maybe I can put it to sleep. I'm good at singing lullabies.

Uhhhh, look. That's nice and all, but do you really think that's gonna work?

Hush little lizard, don't you cry. Alice's going to... Ahhhh...

Lullaby attempts to put all enemies to sleep, but the farmer will always fall asleep, no matter what. Even if they're immune to sleep. Now the chances of this landing are- WAIT, WHAT!?

:stare:

Holy crap, that worked!?

Aw, it looks so cute when it sleeps!

I do admit she does looks adorable.

I was talking about the lizard.

:catstare:

I... was not expecting that to work. At all. Lullaby only had a 4 to 5% chance of landing. I bought myself a free turn. I really needed a good start, and I got one. When an enemy gets inflicted with an ailment, the icon pops up in case you missed the textbox.

Say hi to my new friend!

Here's one of the biggest problems with the Wildling, their abilities eat up so much TP. This can be alleviated with a certain skill that I didn't have Fang learn yet. But early on, there's a huge limit on how many times you can summon your animals.

Now the Greedy Lizard is immune to Poison. I just summoned the butterfly to use as a meat shield.

Ah yes, I should talk about Sleep. Sleep completely disables the target, preventing them from doing anything until the ailment is dispelled. If someone gets inflicted with sleep before they can do anything, any action they had queued up is canceled, even if they wake up within the same turn. Sleeping targets cannot avoid any attacks, and they'll take an extra 50% damage from physical attacks. Elemental and Almighty attacks do not get that benefit. Sleep can be dispelled by wearing off, being cured, or if the victim gets attacked in anyway.

Now, here's the big downside with ailments, and the part you should really pay attention to. The Greedy Lizard is now immune to Sleep, no matter what I do. This is because of how EO3 overhauled how Status Effects and Binds work. In the first two games, you could inflict ailments and binds as many times as you liked. EO3 changed the system big time by introducing Accumulative Resistance. Every time you land an ailment or bind, the target gains a flat 30% resistance to it. So if they had a 70% resistance to Poison, and they got inflicted with it, now their resistance to Poison is only 40%. This will keep going until their resistance reaches 0%, at which point they're immune to the ailment. Oh, and the game does not tell you about this at any point.

This is why I don't consider ailments and binds to be that great in this game. One, you have absolutely no control over the duration of the disable. Wasn't too much of an issue in the first two games since they could be reapplied with enough tries, and ailments had different issues in those games. But if you tried to land Confusion 4 times in this game, and all those attempts lasted one turn, that would barely help, and it would be hard to capitalize on that. Two, Accumulative resistances cannot be reset, no matter what. Three, FOEs and bosses, the stuff you would really like to use disables on, are very tanky in this game compared to the first two games. The fights against those last a lot longer in this game, and inflicting them with a disable that might only last one turn won't help too much as opposed to just dealing damage. While ailments and binds can be useful if they land, having your strategy solely rely on the use of those is a bad idea. That said there is a perk to this. The same rule applies to your party too. Enemies won't be able land the same ailments on your party after a while. (You party members have 100% resistance to all ailments and binds.)

If you're wondering why ailments and binds got such a big nerf in this game, here's the thing. It was actually intended as a buff to them. See in the first two games, bosses had a massive amount of resistance to ailments (5% in EO1 to 25% in EO2), making relying on them a little too RNG dependent. This system was put into place to make using status effects a more reliable strategy, without making them overpowered. It was a great idea, the execution just needed more work. Thankfully the biggest problems with the system were fixed in EO4, and ailments and binds are great in that game.

HAAAAAARRRRGGHHH! :black101:

Oh I feel so relaxed for some reason.

That would be the power of my ROYAL AURA at work! Go ahead, BASK in it!

You saw Royal Veil in action during the Sea Quests.

Oh yeah, now those are some nice numbers.

BOW BEFORE ME!

Leave the fighting to me, your majesty.

Ow! That was mean!

Stop! Please!

Oh dear. Bask in my presence if you want to live!

Thankfully any regen effects will kick in before the Poison damage gets applied, so Fang lives here.

Susan is saving people from dying by merely existing. This is actually a pretty big contribution early on.

Thanks Susan.

It's MEGAQUEEN!

Huh, these classes are getting more results than the initial team.

DS Version

Time to finally take these jerks down.

Largebill
HP: 225
TP: 24
STR: 15
VIT: 9
AGI: 16
LUC: 14
TEC: 15
Attack Type: Pierce
Exp: 498
Item Drops:
-Drop 1: Green Feather - 60% Drop Rate. 1 needed for Feather Armor (Light Armor.) 4 needed for Guard Vest (Light Armor.)
--Bird's feather that cannot be cut with a dull blade.
Description: A monstrous bird with an insatiable appetite. It ambushes its prey from above.
Damage Resistances: Slash: 100% Strike: 100% Pierce: 150% Fire: 50% Ice: 100% Volt: 100%
Ailment Resistances: Sleep: 100% Confusion: 100% Plague: 100% Poison: 100% Blind: 122% Curse: 100% Paralysis: 100%
Bind Resistances: Head: 25% Arm: 100% Leg: 100%

Skills:

Chomp: Uses the Head. A single target Strike attack that deals 150% damage.

Largebills are basically the Great Lynxes of the 2nd floor. Although this time, they're more of a harsh tutorial in that encounters differ depending on the time of day, and are likely to be too tough for you to take on safely when you first encounter them. But after you get stronger, they're not really a threat since they only have single target attacks.

Threat neutralized.

Or not.

If an enemy has an ailment, you can see which one they're inflicted with when you target them.

Overall, Largebills aren't too much of a threat once you're a match for them.

DS Version

The mushroom smells so luscious... If you’re convinced there is no danger, you can try eating it.

The fragrant mushroom melts in your mouth... You smack your lips, enjoying the exquisite flavor that has renewed your flagging spirits!

These mushrooms are safe to eat. Oh right, 3rd floor.

Looking around, you discover monsters tearing at a backpack! The monsters have noticed you! They bare their fangs and attack with a vicious howl!

DS Version

Even though Spotted Frogs are just stronger Forest Frogs, they hit a lot harder and should be treated as a threat.

Despite that, they go down pretty easily.

You find an ID issued by the Senatus sewn into the interior of the damaged pack. The ID has the blue horse logo of the Pale Horse Guild on it. It seems they went missing on B3F. This new clue gives you an ominous feeling, but you decide to continue on.

Oh no. You don't think...?

I don't know, but this isn't a good sign.

You can see some treasure chests across the river.

Sadly, we cannot get to them yet,

Scylla Crab
HP: 160
TP: 33
STR: 10
VIT: 12
AGI: 8
LUC: 13
TEC: 12
Attack Type: Slash
Exp: 345
Item Drops:
-Drop 1: Steel Shell - 50% Drop Rate. 1 needed for Spiked Leather (Heavy Armor.) 3 needed for Javelin (Spear) and Light Mace (Mace.)
--A steel-hard shell that glistens as if polished.
-Drop 2: Bloody Blade - 10% Drop Rate. 1 needed for Scramasax (Sword.) 3 needed for Light Mace (Mace.)
--Large crab's scissor with a bloodstained tip.
Description: A giant crab that awaits prey near the water. Its signature pincers can easily cut thick trees.
Damage Resistances: Slash: 100% Strike: 100% Pierce: 100% Fire: 150% Ice: 150% Volt: 150%
Ailment Resistances: Sleep: 100% Confusion: 100% Plague: 122% Poison: 100% Blind: 100% Curse: 100% Paralysis: 122%

Skills:

Defend: Uses the Head. Decreases damage taken from physical attacks.
Ruin Claw: Uses the Arms. A single target Slash attack that deals 150% damage.

Scylla Crabs aren't resistant to physical attacks, they're just really tanky and have a lot of HP. Elemental attacks are the best way to take them down, though.

Whenever an enemy buffs itself, you'll see that animation.

What's the matter? Can't handle the load?

For comparison, Rose is my best physical attacker right now.

Scylla Crabs aren't really tough enemies if you don't have elemental attacks, but they'll take ages to kill if you don't.

DS Version

Didn't one of the bar patrons warn us about those?

Heh, wonder if we can take it on.

I really wouldn't advise doing such a thing. I think we better focus on getting out of here.

The monster seems to be highly territorial and appears to view you as trespassers. It would be wise to do everything in your power to avoid the beast if you hope to leave this room. The piercingly menacing feeling you sense even at this distance is proof enough of that! Your survival now hangs on your skill at watching your enemy’s movement in order to avoid him.

Some FOEs are aggressive and will chase after you. If they're actively chasing you, the game lets you know with the red icon on the map.

Another inaccessible shortcut.

Unfortunately I made a misstep and accidentally walked into the thing.

Raging Tyrant
Behavior: Pursues the party once they've stayed in the room for too long. Will not give up unless it is impossible to chase them. Can cross river tiles.
Aggressive: Yes
HP: 1072
TP: 611
STR: 20
VIT: 18
AGI: 15
LUC: 19
TEC: 17
Attack Type: Strike
Exp: 3212
Item Drops:
-Drop 1: Hippo Tusk - 80% Drop Rate. 1 needed for Tauret Hammer (Mace. Must be restocked.)
--Tooth that mercilessly crushes any intruders.
-Book: Luck Book - 1% Drop Rate.
Description: A gigantic hippo that lives near rivers. It appears dimwitted, but do not take it lightly.
Damage Resistances: Slash: 75% Strike: 75% Pierce: 75% Fire: 150% Ice: 100% Volt: 100%
Ailment Resistances: Sleep: 10% Confusion: 10% Plague: 10% Poison: 122% Blind: 10% Curse: 10% Paralysis: 10%
Bind Resistances: Head: 25% Arm: 25% Leg: 25%
Other Resistances: Death: 10% Petrification: 10% Stun: 50%

Skills:

Charge: Uses the Head. Doubles the power of the next attack.
Crush: Uses the Legs. A single target Strike attack that deals 160% damage. Damages adjacent party members for 70% of the original damage output. Has an accuracy of 80.

Unfortunately, Raging Tyrants are too strong for us to take on. This is because Crush can flat out one shot us and attack more than one person. And if someone can barely survive Crush, chances are that they won't survive a charged version of it. The move is somewhat inaccurate, but that's a very small comfort. Once you're strong enough, the only thing you have to watch out for is Charge. I recommend having everyone defend if it uses that move.

Now the Raging Tyrant is a red FOE, which means the game considers it to be the strongest FOE in the Stratum. Most red FOEs actually drop stat books, except the drop chance for those is only a measly 1%, so trying to farm for them by killing them won't help much. There has to be a better way...

Strike attacks are visually indicated by that spiky shape.

That was careless...

AUGH! My very being has been tainted! We must flee!

Th-This way! Hurry!

:toot:

Monarch March heals the party by 2 HP every time they take a step.

Charge now increases the power of the next physical attack by 230%.

Hi there elephant! Do you wanna be my friend?

Fang can now summon an elephant to attack every single enemy on the field, which has a 25% chance of inflicting Confusion. The elephant has a 120% stat multiplier. It has 110 base HP, and the initial attack does 75% damage, and then the elephant will attack single targets randomly, which does 120% damage.

Lullaby now has a 30% chance to inflict Sleep.

To get past the Raging Tyrant, head down to this room first.

F5 Mine Point:
Phonolite: 50% Gather Rate. 1 needed for Kettle Hat (Helmet.)
-Dark green rock with trace amounts of other gems.
Topaz: 50% Gather Rate. 1 needed for Plague Mantle (Accessory.) 5 needed for Leaf Blazer (Clothes.) 10 needed for Lorica Squamata (Heavy Armor.)
-Light brown crystal that is structurally weak.
Chalcophyllite: Rare. 1 needed for Caetra (Shield.)
-Light green mineral composed of fine crystals.
Common Gather Periods: 1 to 8.

You don't have to go into this room, but if you're on that quest, I would advise doing so.

DS Version

The deep pools of blood, large enough to float firewood, hint at the atrocity that occurred. From the scattered remains, there is no mistaking that this is where Pale Horse set camp. You search the area, but all you find continues to prove that the worst took place here. There is little point in investigating further. You’ve done all you could... You should return to the bar and report the sad news to the client awaiting you.

N-No. M-M-Maybe they went back to town to get their injuries treated. R-Right!?

Alice, I hate to break it to you, but this is something I've seen many times. There is no way that anyone can lose that amount of blood, and live.

Must you be so blunt?

What else am I supposed to say to her? It's the harsh truth.

Weird. I don't know if this is-

At any rate, there's only one logical conclusion to draw from this. We should report back to the bar...

This door is the way out.

Its appearance is strange and a little sinister, but you think you can approach it with care.

Ooh, pretty flower!

Fang, I don't think it's a good idea to-

It's okay! The pollen from this flo-AAAAACHOOOO!

As you cautiously approach the flower, its gigantic petals sway despite the still air. Before you can withdraw, it opens and scatters pollen everywhere, as if it had sneezed! Oddly, however, you sense no adverse reactions... If anything, you feel better overall!

Why does my head feel so clear?

Oh yes, the pollen from these flowers are good for your health.

I guess everything in this Labyrinth isn't harmful.

Another one of those hippos.

Lots of sticky mud, too!

This room has a couple of mud tiles in it, so you have to be more careful with your movements.

There's too much mud to navigate the room safely, so just head straight up here and go through the door.

Take a closer look at the map. This is a situation you do not want to happen. If that Raging Tyrant joins in on this fight (Well it can't at the moment because there's too many sprites on the screen. Hooray for technical limitations!) the party would be cornered. Now when you run into an FOE, you get pushed back a tile if you run away. But if your back is against a wall, that option won't be available to you, and you'll be forced to fight the FOE. And considering how strong the FOE is, it's impossible for the party to win. However, the only way to get cornered is if an FOE joins in on a fight. It's impossible to get cornered by walking into or sidestepping into an FOE. (If you sidestep into one, you'll turn to face the direction you were walking in to.) Just something else to be aware of. Cornering got removed in EO4 and onwards.

Anyways, from the top left corner, head all the way right to this door.

Now this is an important level.

I've singled out your weaknesses!

This passive basically increases the Zodiac's damage output even more when they strike a weakness (Activates if the damage resistance is at 101% or above.) At level 1, it boosts weakness damage by 10%. It's a fantastic ability, and why you want your Zodiac to diversify in elements instead of focusing on a single one. By the way, Singularity counts for all damage types, not just elemental.

Acts like a Level 6 Fire Star when used. These items do take the user's TEC stat into account, so keep that in mind.

This bestows us the Guard Tactic Limit. Except now we're trapped. There's actually a very simple way to snag the treasure without being trapped, but I forgot how to do so at the time.

Then you can just go back the way you came to leave without any hassle. I are smart. :downs: Oh well, this is a good time to turn in my quests.

DS Version

Ah, you are back! I have been waiting for you!

We have some bad news... :(

The party from Pale Horse that went missing on B3F came back the moment you left!

WHA!? But, what about all the blood we saw!?

...Blood? What are you saying? No, they were all fine. Nobody was even wounded. Oh, wait. They did say they were attacked by monsters at their camp on B3F. But, they said they slaughtered them all and roasted them for dinners! Ahahaha! The blood you saw must have come from those monsters, yes? Well, I am gladdening that you are back safe as well. Here is your reward. Take it! It is not good to be in the Labyrinth for too long. People start to worry!

Allows access to Poison forges. I'll go into detail about those later.

Okay. I think I'm ready.

Aha, I see you, Farmer! Are you to be participating in the conference? I have the time and place on this paper here. Go meet with your fellow agriculturals! Go, and make some delicious vegetables for us all! The rest of you can wait here.

Fade to black.

At this point, the conversation can go one of two ways. If your Farmer's level is only between level 2 and 9, Missy will have this to say:

Um, I did an okay job?

Hm...? It was ”so-so,” you say? Well, I am not to be complaining as long as you helped. Anyway, your assistance is sure to prove fruitful... or veggie-ful! Here is your reward!

At this point, you would only get 1 Medica II, and each party member would only get 400 exp. If your Farmer is at level 10 or above, she'll say this instead:

Ha! From the lookings of your face, I am not needing an answer from your mouth! It is obvious that your experience was of great help! I await the new vegetables! This is your reward for your fruitful service... or should I say veggie-ful? Haha!

:allears:

You get a much bigger reward...

And slightly more exp. It's in your best interest to get the best outcomes for quests, because the exp output gets affected too.

Next time: The rest of the 3rd floor.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jul 10, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I like how some FOEs are exclusive to some of the locations. It really makes a lot of the Labyrinths feel unique from one another, even if some Stratums are aesthetically similar.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Is Alice talking in her sleep?

Dr. Fetus posted:

Alice, I hate to break it to you, but this is something I've seen many times. There is no way that anyone can lost that amount of blood, and live.

And here's a small typo.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Dezerte is my favorite NPC in the game.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I'm disappointed that you're not using this notorious boozer for Toma:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I'm disappointed that you're not using this notorious boozer for Toma:

Well, we never buy him soda pop.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm a lot farther ahead in the game [third stratum] because I have no restraint and no LP to make. And little idea of what I should do.

My Princess has Monarch March level five and Ad Nihilo lvl 1. What should I put these nine points that I've been sitting on into?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Is Alice talking in her sleep?

Whoops, used the wrong portrait for that one. Fixed.

Also something I forgot to mention, Fire Jars act like a level 6 Fire Star. (60% Fire damage) A bit more useful than they were in the first two games.

RareAcumen posted:

I'm a lot farther ahead in the game [third stratum] because I have no restraint and no LP to make. And little idea of what I should do.

My Princess has Monarch March level five and Ad Nihilo lvl 1. What should I put these nine points that I've been sitting on into?

Do you have Prevent Order? Then get Prevent Order. Do not level it up past 1 though. All maxing it out does is lower the TP cost, and the Princess is not a class that has TP problems. If you do, max out Attack Order. If you still have leftover skill points, then I'll ask you this. Do you have a Monk? If not, max out Prrotect Order. If you do, I wouldn't bother with that skill because... reasons.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Also something I forgot to mention, Fire Jars act like a level 6 Fire Star. (60% Fire damage) A bit more useful than they were in the first two games.

Do you have Prevent Order? Then get Prevent Order. Do not level it up past 1 though. All maxing it out does is lower the TP cost, and the Princess is not a class that has TP problems. If you do, max out Attack Order. If you still have leftover skill points, then I'll ask you this. Do you have a Monk? If not, max out Prrotect Order. If you do, I wouldn't bother with that skill because... reasons.

Yeah, I found out on accident that the Jars are crazy powerful combined with Singularity and Etheric Charge. I didn't know the formula behind it though.

And thanks for the help! I'd ask more if we had PMs but I don't and I dunno if you do. I'm pretty sure I know what 'reasons' are though. :v:

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Dr. Fetus posted:

That would be the power of my ROYAL AURA at work! Go ahead, BASK in it!

This can only get better and better. :allears:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I wonder what's the earliest feasible level to take on the Raging Tyrants.

thenightsshadow
May 12, 2013
I've beaten one at Level 12, but that required a specialized set up and it isn't guaranteed to survive.

H/-/H
P/W/P

Wildling
Level 4 - Wild Mastery
Level 10 - Summon Insect

Prince(ss)
Level 10 - Royal Veil

Hoplite
Level 4 - Guardian
Level 10 - Selflessness

Wildling utilizes Summon Insect, trying to get the 15.9% chance to deal the poisonous blow. Once you get that on there, as long as the Poison lasts for more than one turn, survive for two turns.
Hoplite utilizes Selflessness, heals from both Royal Veils, then defends on the damaging turn.
Prince(ss) is meant to just attack and heal. Indomitable should be on one of the Hoplites.

Loss conditions:
1) Poison lasts for only one turn.
2) Raging Tyrant doesn't do Charge on the first turn.
3) Wildling runs out of TP summoning the Venomfly.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

I wonder what's the earliest feasible level to take on the Raging Tyrants.

Lv 11 at the minimum.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Probably gonna tackle the 2nd set of Sea Quests after the next update. Shall I open up voting for who gets to go along for each Sea Quest? Totally not an attempt to get this to the next page. Nope.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

The next set of sea quests is way tougher than the first one, and I'd argue that it might be on par with the third one.

Which obviously means that you should.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I can't see any better way to fish for posts than voting for the next party.

count this as a vote for Asteria

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8_Escape
Dec 26, 2013
Well I don't see why you shouldn't.
Do it for the halibut I suppose.

8_Escape fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jun 4, 2015

• Locked thread