Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
That phone call outburst was pretty mild but I spent years doing telephone work (including 911) so I think my standards for lovely caller behavior are different from most people's. This guy sounds like the old bastards from back when I did tech support for the Sierra Network. They couldn't dial in to play Bridge with their friends so they'd call up and vent their spleen to our agents as if we were doing it to them deliberately. Sorry we couldn't squeeze out 618k of RAM with a bootdisk so you could play Ruins of Cawdor, you crotchety rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Dick Trauma posted:

That phone call outburst was pretty mild but I spent years doing telephone work (including 911) so I think my standards for lovely caller behavior are different from most people's. This guy sounds like the old bastards from back when I did tech support for the Sierra Network. They couldn't dial in to play Bridge with their friends so they'd call up and vent their spleen to our agents as if we were doing it to them deliberately. Sorry we couldn't squeeze out 618k of RAM with a bootdisk so you could play Ruins of Cawdor, you crotchety rear end in a top hat.

Actually what I'm wondering is anthonypants' relationship with this person. Is the person who left the voicemail a client currently representing a business, or just some average schleb on a residential account. I've been running off the assumption it was the former.

I've had my fair share of crazy customer outbursts back when I worked support for the general public ( I miss retail sometimes :allears:), but that sort of outburst is completely unacceptable in a business setting.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Renegret posted:

Actually what I'm wondering is anthonypants' relationship with this person. Is the person who left the voicemail a client currently representing a business, or just some average schleb on a residential account. I've been running off the assumption it was the former.

I've had my fair share of crazy customer outbursts back when I worked support for the general public ( I miss retail sometimes :allears:), but that sort of outburst is completely unacceptable in a business setting.
Nope, the latter. My only personal interaction with him this weekend was asking for any kind of symptom like an error code, after which point we got both the email and the voicemail.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

anthonypants posted:

Nope, the latter. My only personal interaction with him this weekend was asking for any kind of symptom like an error code, after which point we got both the email and the voicemail.

Oh that's less fun then :smith:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mo_Steel posted:

It's beautiful. Also please be safe anthonypants. :ohdear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_S2JVaINO4

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

wa27 posted:

An email came in just now:

quote:

Will you both be available to get the new [city] Site up and running on June 2? We are able to move to this location on that day and really need to have internet, cameras, and moved over on that day. Sorry for the short notice, I thought I had sent this out yesterday and noticed that I hadn’t.

Please let me know ASAP.

:lol: yeah, let me just call the ISP and tell them we're moving in 2 business days. I didn't even realize we were looking at new places. Thankfully it's a tiny office and my schedule is clear Tuesday, so I should be able to move the equipment. I hope they enjoy going without internet and phone for a while, though.

Update on this: No cable service at the new location. I hope they enjoy using a Verizon hotspot and cell phones till we can get some crappy DSL in there! :)

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

MJP posted:

This needs a dubstep version pronto.

We could set it to the tune of the Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt:

UNREACHABLE
It's down DAMMIT
There's no error code

UNREACHABLE
It's down DAMMIT
My email is down as hell

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

anthonypants posted:

Oh my god he left a voicemail too

http://tindeck.com/listen/xbbtk

real life George Costanza holy cow.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

We could set it to the tune of the Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt:

UNREACHABLE
It's down DAMMIT
There's no error code

UNREACHABLE
It's down DAMMIT
My email is down as hell
:vince:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYNbp0u8WjA&t=38s

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Dick Trauma posted:

Man, when I was a kid I wanted to play Shadow of Yserbius so bad.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

Has anyone seen an issue where Google calendar invites synced to an Outlook calendar screw up printing date ranges of that calendar if the google invite is contained within that date range? My usually excellent Google Foo is failing me.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Please, someone do this.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Man, when I was a kid I wanted to play Shadow of Yserbius so bad.

DEATH DARTS! DEATH DARTS! DEATH DARTS!

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

So, I'm studying and trying to learn server stuff. What's the solution?
I was thinking that if you've got backups of your active directory you could mount a snapshot and perform an authoritative restore.

Does that sound right? Harder than it sounds in an enterprise environment?

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2007.09.tombstones.aspx
There is an even quicker way that works for this type of issue most of the time. You can just reanimate the tombstone object.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps

lampey posted:

. You can just reanimate the tombstone object.

Active Directory and Zombies.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
That's a bit of a Windows 2003 thing to do, nowadays you should just be using the AD recycle bin.

AutoArgus
Jun 24, 2009

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

So, I'm studying and trying to learn server stuff. What's the solution?
I was thinking that if you've got backups of your active directory you could mount a snapshot and perform an authoritative restore.

Does that sound right? Harder than it sounds in an enterprise environment?

Yep, basically this. It's simpler when its not -every- DC object though

Got lucky on this one: They had one DC with a terrible connection that hadn't replicated the delete yet, was able to just do a restore off the objects there. A few restarts later everything was OK again. Apparently the actual banking systems are on a -different- domain that no one ever touches except tested patches, so Im less :stare: from the call now.

Recycle bin would've been nice... if they'd upgrade the domain level...

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

One of my jobs is managing the clients' backups. One client has had problems with incremental backups failing regularly, but working when you re-run them manually. I'd been trying to figure out the cause for a couple weeks with no success.
Anyway, I took a long weekend just now and a colleague took over the backups. He tried to do a chkdsk on it but somehow formatted the drive instead. The one with all the company data. With the dodgy backup record.

The previous day's backup was fine, thank gently caress, but it took all day to restore the server and the account manager for that client was not a happy bunny. Still, maybe this will sort the backup errors. :v:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

bitterandtwisted posted:

One of my jobs is managing the clients' backups. One client has had problems with incremental backups failing regularly, but working when you re-run them manually. I'd been trying to figure out the cause for a couple weeks with no success.
Anyway, I took a long weekend just now and a colleague took over the backups. He tried to do a chkdsk on it but somehow formatted the drive instead. The one with all the company data. With the dodgy backup record.

The previous day's backup was fine, thank gently caress, but it took all day to restore the server and the account manager for that client was not a happy bunny. Still, maybe this will sort the backup errors. :v:

Post here or in the backup thread with more details of your problems, and I may be able to give you a good idea of where to get started.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

ConfusedUs posted:

Post here or in the backup thread with more details of your problems, and I may be able to give you a good idea of where to get started.

Thanks, I will. Much experience with Symantec backup and replication? Their knowledgebase is among the least helpful I've seen.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

bitterandtwisted posted:

Chkdsk, fdisk, what's the difference?! :shrug:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

bitterandtwisted posted:

Thanks, I will. Much experience with Symantec backup and replication? Their knowledgebase is among the least helpful I've seen.

Hah hah hah. This.

Enter: backupexec 2014 intermittent backup failure

Results:

1. Symantec endpoint protection fails to uninstall properly on a windows 2003 server.

2. What's New in BackupExec 15!

3. Installing BackupExec 2014 on an Exchange 2012 Server fails with error code [0x37742124686]...

4. Make $500 a day using only your cellular phone!

5. Mak3 h3r jet now with ur m455ive 0rg4n!

6. She opens up her door. You'll never guess what happens next!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Agrikk posted:

6. She opens up her door. You'll never guess what happens next!

She asks you to fix her printer. :smith:

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
A two hour internet outage came in.

We were set to have our internet upgraded from 50/50 to 250/250 today. The ISP told us they just had to update our account and reset our equipment. Five minutes, max.

The times comes, the internet goes out, five minutes goes by and... nothing.

10 minutes goes by... nothing.

20 minutes goes by... still nothing.

We call them to see what's up, and they don't know. Cue a whole lot of troubleshooting, rechecking firewall/gateway/IP/electrical/whatever.

Eventually, the tech tells us our firewall is only showing a 100mbps connection, which is impossible. I go over every firewall setting with a fine toothed comb and come up with nothing.

Fast-forward an hour later and it turns out the culprit is a completely pointless 100mbps ethernet pigtail connecting their equipment to our network. I plugged our cable directly into their equipment and everything works fine.

Thanks, ISP. Thanks for installing an absolutely useless thing and then forgetting about it.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

bitterandtwisted posted:

How the gently caress do you go to do a chkdisk and accidentally format?!

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

ilkhan posted:

/x on a drive that's got the partition table written to a sketchy part of the disk?

Beyond that, :iiam:

AutoArgus
Jun 24, 2009

ilkhan posted:

Late payload april fools prank?

chkdsk.bat posted:

deltree *.* /Y

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Dick Trauma posted:

Don't be daft, Jeffrey.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Dick Trauma posted:

"Sure thing ma'am, let me just get my....dongle"

*bow chikka bow woww*

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Ozz81 posted:

"Sure thing ma'am, let me just get my....dongle"

*bow chikka bow woww*

she is airgapped from you

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
So the CEO thinks that since we fired the helpdesk guy, all our tickets are "minute tickets" and we don't need a helpdesk guy at all.

FULL YOTJ MODE ACTIVE

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

I don't even know how this happened, but yesterday I witnessed an entire Lync 2010 server farm disappear from AD. None of the servers had computer accounts in AD, AD replication was fine, nothing else untoward had happened. These server objects had existed since June of 2011, and two of them hadn't been touched in weeks. Luckily and against everything I know to be true Lync just kept on chugging, even after I locked myself out by logging out. I had to kick everyone off of Lync, remove and re-add each member server, the FE role also had a cert authority that had to be removed and another CA stood up before it could be removed from the domain.

Afterwards somehow everything still works after a re-certification on the FE, edge and management servers. No idea what the hell happened, but I'm pushing hard to get the functional level of said domain up past 2003 ASAP. I would have tried the netdom.exe approach if the server objects at least existed, but this just perplexed the hell out of me.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

MJP posted:

So the CEO thinks that since we fired the helpdesk guy, all our tickets are "minute tickets" and we don't need a helpdesk guy at all.

FULL YOTJ MODE ACTIVE

How many sick days do you have?

See if you can cash them all out at once with a "Flu" and watch the company just implode.

Maybe set computer lockouts at 1 password failure for a few days just to get the point across.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

go3 posted:

she is airgapped from you

But I don't want to remote in, I want to interface manually :heysexy:

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

m.hache posted:

How many sick days do you have?

See if you can cash them all out at once with a "Flu" and watch the company just implode.

Maybe set computer lockouts at 1 password failure for a few days just to get the point across.

Our company is one of those companies where it's ~super great~ and they put vacation, personal, and sick days in one big bank.

In case I don't find the right match quickly I'd much rather save 'em.

Then I'll "get sick" once I have a signed offer letter, take a week off, and give my notice.

The worst part? I may have to take a lateral move in title, hopefully with a modest salary bump since I have a VCP. This would be my third sysadmin job in a row. My resume already has a bunch of different positions.

I was hoping this job would be a longer term than 18 months, which seems to be my high end average. This isn't good. But I hate hate HATE helpdesk with such a passion. My boss is hanging onto sysadmin tasks and not delegating as much to me since the helpdesk junk has to take priority.

The PW failure bit would be picked up if I do sick out. There's a consultant we use from time to time; he did our Citrix engineering and is my escalation point if I can't google-fu something. He'd identify the problem and fix it. Only he, my boss, and me have access to AD, and even though I said we really should have AD auditing software, that got shot down.

gently caress this disillusioned feeling, I was hoping when they canned the helpdesk guy for lovely performance because he was falling asleep and failing to seek medical treatment despite accommodations they'd re-hire quickly. gently caress me for being better at his job and making myself look so drat good. I wanted to make sure I could fulfill the critical parts of the job they hired me to do and now I made myself one step closer to DAF.

Why is it hard to care less?

Oh well. Throw down the rope, goons, time to climb.

MJP fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 2, 2015

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

MJP posted:

I do this, but I'm not convinced that it's a bad thing since I think it comes with the general desire to do things well and take pride in your work. As long as you can keep it in check by taking a step back and going "woah this is a dumb thing to care about" and then act on that discovery then it's not an issue that is going to destroy you.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

MJP posted:

Then I'll "get sick" once I have a signed offer letter, take a week off, and give my notice.

Don't do this. Your notice is a formality to give them time to transition. If you just take vacation time all that time then you're basically giving 0 weeks notice.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Thanks Ants posted:

I do this, but I'm not convinced that it's a bad thing since I think it comes with the general desire to do things well and take pride in your work. As long as you can keep it in check by taking a step back and going "woah this is a dumb thing to care about" and then act on that discovery then it's not an issue that is going to destroy you.

Yeah, the hardest part is finding a company that appreciates this mindset.

I'm 1 day for :yotj: and I start my new gig on Monday. So far it seems like a decent place to work. Hopefully the skeletons in the closet aren't too gnarly.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

MJP posted:

Our company is one of those companies where it's ~super great~ and they put vacation, personal, and sick days in one big bank.

In case I don't find the right match quickly I'd much rather save 'em.

The worst part? I may have to take a lateral move in title, hopefully with a modest salary bump since I have a VCP. This would be my third sysadmin job in a row. My resume already has a bunch of different positions.

I was hoping this job would be a longer term than 18 months, which seems to be my high end average. This isn't good. But I hate hate HATE helpdesk with such a passion. My boss is hanging onto sysadmin tasks and not delegating as much to me since the helpdesk junk has to take priority.

The PW failure bit would be picked up if I do sick out. There's a consultant we use from time to time; he did our Citrix engineering and is my escalation point if I can't google-fu something. He'd identify the problem and fix it. Only he, my boss, and me have access to AD, and even though I said we really should have AD auditing software, that got shot down.

gently caress this disillusioned feeling, I was hoping when they canned the helpdesk guy for lovely performance because he was falling asleep and failing to seek medical treatment despite accommodations they'd re-hire quickly. gently caress me for being better at his job and making myself look so drat good. I wanted to make sure I could fulfill the critical parts of the job they hired me to do and now I made myself one step closer to DAF.

Oh well. Throw down the rope, goons, time to climb.

Take all of your time off immediately, after sending a letter to your boss refusing to do helpdesk work, as you were hired as a sysadmin. If they don't have someone hired by the time you get back, simply do no helpdesk work. Let the tickets burn. If they fire you before you find something else, collect unemployment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elcapjtk
Mar 14, 2005
Some people say I am a terrible person.
"HELP MY COMPUTER WON'T BOOT!!!!"

Gonna go with your hard drive being bad. (also sorry for the giant picture, it's beautiful in a horrible way)

• Locked thread