Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

Echeveria posted:

Today, I paid my friend's brother to replace my rotor's and brakes.

Yesterday my husband bought a Trek mountain bike. It was on sale for 600 bucks cause it was a 2014 model. I will be submitting it to my flex spending account, though. We also got him a pair of rx sunglasses and another pair of regular glasses, because tomorrow his company is switching insurance companies and all our benefits will be reset. Can't waste free glasses.

You can use FSAs to buy mountain bikes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

FishBulb posted:

Well for one thing it doesn't blend at all!

It's a cooking device. You put it in a big pot of water and cook vacuum sealed short ribs for 2+ days at less than boiling temperatures and stuff.

Doesn't a device that heats via electricity for two days use a ton of energy? Or does it have some magic that reducs its usage?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

TraderStav posted:

Doesn't a device that heats via electricity for two days use a ton of energy? Or does it have some magic that reducs its usage?

Keeping water at a certain temperature isn't going to use as much electricity as getting it to that temperature in the first place. I imagine they're not super great in terms of power consumption but I reckon most people's PC/TVs or what have you eat up just as much power.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

It almost certainly has a standard resistance heating coil, which is not particularly power efficient at all. However, it also circulates the water and only heats when needed (dependent on allowed fluctuation). The water is a pretty super battery for heat so the thing is probably barely using any energy once it's up to temperature. The magic is physics.

Really it's very similar to a slow cooker, which people leave on all day and don't get too concerned.

pretty good aggro deck
Dec 31, 2007

Extinct!

rockcity posted:

What you're thinking a macchiato is is not a macchiato. A macchiato is a double shot of espresso with a tiny bit of milk foam in it. I have no idea why Starbucks calls it that.

I don't actually plan on making a macchiato but there's also no reason that I couldn't make what you've just described.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SLOSifl posted:

It almost certainly has a standard resistance heating coil, which is not particularly power efficient at all. However, it also circulates the water and only heats when needed (dependent on allowed fluctuation). The water is a pretty super battery for heat so the thing is probably barely using any energy once it's up to temperature. The magic is physics.

Really it's very similar to a slow cooker, which people leave on all day and don't get too concerned.

Isn't a resistance coil pretty much 100% efficient?

edit: For long cooks, I wrap a blanket around the tub I use.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I guess efficient wasn't the right term - they're efficient in the way they convert electricity to heat, yes, but in terms of overall power consumption they are huge hogs. Not good for the power bill compared to operating time.

Most resistance coils will suck about as much power as the circuit will provide, so leaving one on for long periods uses as much electricity as possible. The point is that they are not on for long periods of time though.

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I read on slick deals that thing pulls 800 watts at 120volts when heating up and 200 watts to hold the temperature.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I'll be honest with you I put 0 thought into how much power it used when I bought it :shrug:

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
Ugly shoes and matching belt:

some jumpers:

And my old iMac is finally on it's way out so bit the bullet and upgraded:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

FishBulb posted:

I'll be honest with you I put 0 thought into how much power it used when I bought it :shrug:
:911:

I bought beer. Balt from Union Craft brewery out of Baltimore. When I got it home I noticed the cans were sticky and disgusting but I guess it's okay since you pour it into a glass anyway. I'm going to hope its sticky from other beer spilling and not... anything else.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I got a two-month credit to Bespoke Post for my birthday. It's mostly fussy overpriced "curated man" stuff, so I put the credit towards individual items in their store and made the best of it:

Dogbrisket
Jun 10, 2009

Interesting tie you got there.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Bought some old floppy disks for a project. $7.50 for 19 disks, my data storage problems are solved!

este
Feb 17, 2004

Boing!
Dinosaur Gum

Coffee And Pie posted:

Bought some old floppy disks for a project. $7.50 for 19 disks, my data storage problems are solved!

I'm curious as to how many of these actually work.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

este posted:

I'm curious as to how many of these actually work.

Was going to say this, when I was buying boxes of floppies in the early - mid 2000s (new with shrink wrap still on them) they had a failure rate around 1 out of every 3-4 disks. I don't imagine they've aged well.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Dogbrisket posted:

Interesting tie you got there.

No way would I have paid $50 if it hadn't been in that site's fun bux, but of the ties they had, it was the best option in terms of filling a gap in my collection. I don't have a ton of solid ties, and I like chambrays, so.

Edit: to give some idea of the site's whole deal, this month's box of curated stuff was a pocket knife, a bottle opener, a notebook, and a fountain pen. I guess so I can pretend I'm Thoreau.

Toast Museum has a new favorite as of 18:49 on Jun 1, 2015

M42
Nov 12, 2012

:homebrew:

An absolutely insane amount of motorcycle gear, some so I can ride in the summer, some so I can replace the lovely ones I have. RIP in peace my wallet

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Bought a cheap android dual sim phone

(Acer Liquid Z520)

to upgrade from this (You served me well buddy. Excepted in the US where you never worked)

Modern phones are so complicated :corsair:
Now I just need to completely review my contact list and put email addresses and pictures and poo poo.

PleasusChrist
Oct 20, 2010

What do you do about a windscreen at night? Is it not super difficult to see out of that one?

DaRealAce
Dec 27, 2004
Touch It.. No I dont want to... TOUCH IT!

kmcormick9 posted:

I second this question.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

PleasusChrist posted:

What do you do about a windscreen at night? Is it not super difficult to see out of that one?

Helmets come with clear visors when you buy them. Just bring it along if you're going to be out late. Or get a helmet from a brand that sells transition visors (I think Shoei and Bell do them now).

But yes, dark at night with one of those.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Argyle posted:

Finally getting into the sous vide game:

Anova Sous Vide Immersion Circulator, was $99 today with promo code ANOVAONE. Lowest price ever, probably.

I might have to look into this, love to cook at home but hate that some stuff is hit-or-miss when it comes to being done all the way through. Love me some evenly cooked steak and the only way (so far) I've been able to get near-perfect soft boiled eggs has been boiling them on high for 5 minutes, taking off heat and letting sit in hot water for another 4-5 minutes, then chilling with cold water right after.

Tulip Candy
Jan 23, 2007

I love tuna fish and field mouse pudding.

Booze is expensive at bars. Also, I might go camping soon.

Repurchase. I let so many people borrow this book, I no longer know who has it.

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff
Books!

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.
New Couch.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

kmcormick9 posted:

Mine let's me. I imagine different companies have different requirements and rules. Mine allows basically any health equipment, such as gym memberships, bikes, treadmills.

I just pulled my work email to find the list of allowable expenses, but it's an internal website and I can't access it from home, but basically this: “Other Expenses” including professional development, family care, wellness and green products.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

So pretty much utilize a FSA to lower your tax burden and use that money at the end of the year for a gym membership and bike upgrades. Sweet

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Echeveria posted:

Mine let's me. I imagine different companies have different requirements and rules. Mine allows basically any health equipment, such as gym memberships, bikes, treadmills.

I just pulled my work email to find the list of allowable expenses, but it's an internal website and I can't access it from home, but basically this: “Other Expenses” including professional development, family care, wellness and green products.

Are we talking about the same type of FSA here? Because a FSA is pre-tax and the federal government determines what it can and can't be used for. Now, I'll freely admit that you MIGHT be able to count a bicycle as "... include in medical expenses amounts paid for transportation primarily for, and essential to, medical care" if, maybe, you can argue you use the bike to get to the hospital for regular exams or treatments. It specifically excludes "health club dues" and "personal use items". Which includes health equipment, bikes, treadmills.

That'd be tax fraud.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
The ACA severely reeled in what you can buy with FSA. Pretty much everything that isn't a prescription was removed from the list, whereas previously you could pretty much buy anything over the counter that was vaguely health care related.

If you could get your doctor to somehow justify needing a bicycle you might be able to pull it off but I wouldn't bet on it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Letting employers decide what is and isn't tax deductible would be...odd.

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

Geoj posted:

The ACA severely reeled in what you can buy with FSA. Pretty much everything that isn't a prescription was removed from the list, whereas previously you could pretty much buy anything over the counter that was vaguely health care related.

If you could get your doctor to somehow justify needing a bicycle you might be able to pull it off but I wouldn't bet on it.

Thanks Obama!

But seriously, I work for the federal govt so I doubt I would get any leeway. Considering the things an FSA covers are also tax deductible, it seems like a zero gain proposition to use one. It MIGHT motivate me to see a dentist....

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

TRAPPED IN QUANTUM CHOCOLATE SINGULARITY!
SEND HELP!
Pillbug
I picked up the Razer Tartarus for use with my Surface for digital art.

Trying to use the Surface's keyboard cover for shortcuts while using the pen to draw is loving impossible, especially if you like to draw with the screen laying flat like I do. I just bound my keyboard shortcuts to this thing and all of my problems went away. It's super comfortable and hitting the keys is very satisfying. It looks stupid but it works like a dream.

Plus I got a referb for like thirty bucks. I have zero complaints. I guess I'll probably try to use it for actual gaming at some point too.

Solid Cake has a new favorite as of 03:10 on Jun 2, 2015

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug
edit: ugh double post

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Solid Cake posted:

I picked up the Razer Tartarus for use with my Surface for digital art.

Trying to use the Surface's keyboard cover for shortcuts while using the pen to draw is loving impossible, especially if you like to draw with the screen laying flat like I do. I just bound my keyboard shortcuts to this thing and all of my problems went away. It's super comfortable and hitting the keys is very satisfying. It looks stupid but it works like a dream.

Plus I got a referb for like thirty bucks. I have zero complaints. I guess I'll probably try to use it for actual gaming at some point too.

Oh man, that's a good idea, if not extremely nerdy. I've been eyeballing a Surface 3 for drawing on the train and slow times at work. Is it really nice or just an adequate substitute?

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug

Inzombiac posted:

Oh man, that's a good idea, if not extremely nerdy. I've been eyeballing a Surface 3 for drawing on the train and slow times at work. Is it really nice or just an adequate substitute?

I own a Cintiq 21X also, so I can say that it is actually very nice. It doesn't have over 2000 levels of pressure like the Cintiq, but it is not as huge of a difference as you'd think. I use Photoshop, mainly, for drawing and I had to tweak that a little bit to get it to play nice. By default it's zoomed out so much because of the screen resolution that it's impossible to hit any of the little icons, but turning on 200% zoom mode in the experimental settings fixed that just fine. You can download an app from the Windows Store (simply called 'Surface') to tweak the pressure settings more to your liking since the defaults aren't great. But once you get things how you like them, it's honestly very pleasing to use for art.

The thing I'd very highly recommend is also getting a screen protector for it, not because the screen is fragile, but because it's made of glass and is very slippery to draw on. When I first got the Surface I thought this was going to be a deal breaker, it felt so wrong to draw on and it was so slick and shiny and ughhh, but I got this matte screen protector and that fixed all of my issues. It makes the screen a little more grippy like what you'd feel on a Cintiq and it eliminates glare so you can actually see what you're doing. I don't know how anyone goes on using their Surface day to day without one of these.

At the end of the day I'm very happy with it and I paid less than half of what a Cintiq Companion with comparable specs costs. This website is a good resource if you want to read more about it.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Solid Cake posted:

I own a Cintiq 21X also, so I can say that it is actually very nice. It doesn't have over 2000 levels of pressure like the Cintiq, but it is not as huge of a difference as you'd think. I use Photoshop, mainly, for drawing and I had to tweak that a little bit to get it to play nice. By default it's zoomed out so much because of the screen resolution that it's impossible to hit any of the little icons, but turning on 200% zoom mode in the experimental settings fixed that just fine. You can download an app from the Windows Store (simply called 'Surface') to tweak the pressure settings more to your liking since the defaults aren't great. But once you get things how you like them, it's honestly very pleasing to use for art.

The thing I'd very highly recommend is also getting a screen protector for it, not because the screen is fragile, but because it's made of glass and is very slippery to draw on. When I first got the Surface I thought this was going to be a deal breaker, it felt so wrong to draw on and it was so slick and shiny and ughhh, but I got this matte screen protector and that fixed all of my issues. It makes the screen a little more grippy like what you'd feel on a Cintiq and it eliminates glare so you can actually see what you're doing. I don't know how anyone goes on using their Surface day to day without one of these.

At the end of the day I'm very happy with it and I paid less than half of what a Cintiq Companion with comparable specs costs. This website is a good resource if you want to read more about it.

How do you go about calibrating the pen? I have a surface pro 2, and calibration had been a significant issue for me with one note

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
After owning a Peugeot 2008 for about a year (that I was extremely excited about and waited for for over four months) I finally had to admit that its gas mileage is simply unacceptable for a car built in 2014. So I shuffled some numbers, made a few calls and am now proud owner of this thing.

I originally wanted to go all electric, but I think we're still a couple of years away from that to be completely practical. This is the next best thing. Driving it for the first time a couple of days ago brought the most stupid smile to my face. It feels like a step into the future and it' should cut fuel budget in half if not more. Same goes for insurance and taxes. This car gets breaks and cuts from pretty much every side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

SEND HELP!
Pillbug

App13 posted:

How do you go about calibrating the pen? I have a surface pro 2, and calibration had been a significant issue for me with one note

There's a wizard for setting this up in the system settings, which I did once to calibrate the pen when I first set things up, and I haven't had to do it since. It worked just fine for me. I'm pretty sure the Surface app I mentioned in my last post also does this if you want to check it out -- it might give you more options if you're not satisfied with the way your pen feels. (I'm at work or I would check for sure if this is the case.)

Solid Cake has a new favorite as of 15:44 on Jun 2, 2015