Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

womp wooooooomp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Jekub posted:

I took my wife and kids to IWM Duxford yesterday, somehow managed to leave my DSLR sat on the kitchen table at home and still took way to many pictures on my wifes tablet.

Oh hey I flew on that Dragon Rapide once! Pretty neat. I got the fire extinguisher seat though.

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

April, May, June, July and August fool
It was completely awesome, next time I go back though I'm saving for a trip in the Harvard, can't quite justify the cost of the Spitfire. There was an old guy there, obviously doing some post-retirement bucket list thing, taking a flight on everything they had. He must have spent thousands on his day but he was loving it. He was getting set up for his Harvard / Spitfire formation flight while we were waiting for the Dragon.

We got a bit of that experience, the spitfire was up with us, not formation but close enough to put a stupid grin on my face.

My five year old son completely loved every minute of it, my eight year old was initially terrified, but got over his self inflicted fear of heights after a few minutes. Flying down to Italy in October is going to seem very dull in contrast.

More photos when I get home tonight.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Zochness posted:

North Texas weather totally ruined my plans for this weekend. I had a seat on American's 787 they're flying DFW/ORD this morning but I never got out of Amarillo last night. :smith:

e: I just read the 787 supposed to do the flight this morning got hit by lightning last night and was replaced by a 773. I guess I feel a little better.

Coming all the way back to this, condolences. Amarillo is literally the worst airport. Not that there's any flights in or out of there anymore anyway.

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

More from Duxford, starting with Hanger 2, Flying Aircraft. Everything in this hanger is an active, flying aircraft, lots going on as they get ready for Airshow season, also some fully stripped down aircraft. I'm going to try not to post to many spitfires, but they have loads of them everywhere.

Sea Fury in bits.

I'm unsure on the remains of the yellow thing behind the spitfire, not entirely sure it belongs in the flying aircraft section either.

de Havilland Chipmuck, handsome little thing.

Onto the Air and Sea hanger, many of which are also flying aircraft.

Stampe-Vertongen SV-4C (with oldest son)

P-51D Mustang 'Ferocious Frankie'

Fairey Gannet, not the most attractive aircraft.

Oldest son declared this 'The coolest plane here' and given his age he must be right, fighter jets should always appeal to eight year old children. He has a Phantom hanging from his bedroom ceiling.

Sea Vixen and Sea Hawk

Enough for now, to many photos, next post we'll cover the 'Battle of Britain' and 'Conservation in Action' hanger, which just looked like the worlds best adventure playground.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Jekub posted:

I'm unsure on the remains of the yellow thing behind the spitfire, not entirely sure it belongs in the flying aircraft section either.

Fairey Firefly

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?
I haven't been to Duxford for a couple years. Since it's like twenty minutes up the road, I should fix this soon. Thanks for the photos!

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Not many places you can look out the widow of a Dragon Rapide and see another one.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

MrYenko posted:

Fairey Firefly

Painted in Swedish target tug colors and featuring the text "SVENSK FLYGTJÄNST AB, STOCKHOLM" in faded letters. Svensk Flygtjänst was a civilian contractor towing targets for army and navy AAA training. They bought 19 milsurp Fireflies from the Royal Navy in 1949, which they used until 1964 (about half of them crashed during those years of service). The one Duxford has (formerly registered as SE-BRG) was then in a museum at Arlanda for many years, then sold to a private individual for restoration and then sold to Duxford in 2004, with the intention that Duxford would restore it to flying condition.

Here's the same aircraft back in the early 60's:

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jun 1, 2015

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

I imagine the rest of it is hiding in here somewhere :

Which will be the Conservation and Restoration hanger, which is also housing some of the American Air museum exhibits.

A bit dissapointing to only see a bit of the A10 hiding at the back

At least the B25 was where I could get a look at it

And the F111, in a space rather to small for it.

Definitely need a return trip once the renovation is complete.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Wow, over the Dragonfly(?) is that the tail of an Avro Shacklton?

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Nebakenezzer posted:

Wow, over the Dragonfly(?) is that the tail of an Avro Shacklton?

Looks like a BAC Strikemaster, but pretty much every 60-70's advanced trainer/light bomber looked like that. And yes, is a Shackelton, can google the tail number.

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

Jekub posted:

I imagine the rest of it is hiding in here somewhere :

Is that an He-162 I spy hiding there?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Jekub posted:

I'm going to try not to post to many spitfires.

I'm fairly certain that it's not possible to post too many Spitfires. :colbert:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Didn't even notice the rest of the photos because I was too busy :circlefap: over this one.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Hangar. A, not e. :colbert:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Didn't even notice the rest of the photos because I was too busy :circlefap: over this one.

If that's the case you might enjoy this P-36 I saw in the static display at the Chino Air Show last month:

Honestly before I saw this I didn't realize any P-36s were left.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

StandardVC10 posted:

If that's the case you might enjoy this P-36 I saw in the static display at the Chino Air Show last month:

Honestly before I saw this I didn't realize any P-36s were left.

There's a flying one at Duxford. Well OK it's technically an H75C-1.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I've always liked P-40s, but that... holy poo poo. I'd love to see one with smooth panels all the way back.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Grave $avings posted:

Is that an He-162 I spy hiding there?
That's the first thing that caught my eye too.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Approaching dangerous levels of chrome.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

quote:

B-17F Flying Fortress aircraft 'Spotted Cow', assembly ship of 384th Bomber Group, 547th Bomber Squadron, based in RAF Grafton Underwood, Northamptonshire, England, UK, 1943

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

An Angry Bug posted:

Polished Aluminum. :spergin:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

An Angry Bug posted:

YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH

Edit:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

What the gently caress is an assembly ship?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Literally what it says on the tin: took off first and other birds would assemble on them above the airfield before heading off.

Usually a role filled by the least-flyable airframe around.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

evil_bunnY posted:

Literally what it says on the tin: took off first and other birds would assemble on them above the airfield before heading off.

Usually a role filled by the least-flyable airframe around.

To elaborate on this a bit, the logistics of getting 100+ ship bomber formations going was a fairly major issue, even with 10 second intervals between takeoff rolls, and everything else the first aircraft up were still considerably light on fuel by the time the whole formation was ready to cross the channel.

So, having a bright, obvious aircraft to form up on made things a bit easier, "I am supposed to be in the 4th echelon left, counting from the big stupid polka-dotted airplane" and since it wasn't going to fly the actual mission it could be up there first and not run out of gas. And, as mentioned, they were generally beater aircraft that probably wouldn't make it there and back mechanically.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jun 3, 2015

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Slo-Tek posted:

To elaborate on this a bit, the logistics of getting 100+ ship bomber formations going was a fairly major issue, even with 10 second intervals between takeoff rolls, and everything else the first aircraft up were still considerably light on fuel by the time the whole formation was ready to cross the channel.

So, having a bright, obvious aircraft to form up on made things a bit easier, "I am supposed to be in the 4th echelon left, counting from the big stupid polka-dotted airplane" and since it wasn't going to fly the actual mission it could be up there first and not run out of gas. And, as mentioned, they were generally beater aircraft that probably wouldn't make it there and back mechanically.

I want this plane to have like, neon runners, multi-colored steamers, rainbow smoke trailing from the wings and a giant, towed banner saying something like FOLLOW ME TO BOMB ZE KRAUTS.

Oh and sparklers.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Duke Chin posted:

I want this plane to have like, neon runners, multi-colored steamers, rainbow smoke trailing from the wings and a giant, towed banner saying something like FOLLOW ME TO BOMB ZE KRAUTS.

Oh and sparklers.

I, too, want an aerial Doof Wagon to be a thing that exists.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Duke Chin posted:

Oh and sparklers.

poo poo, I want my plane to have that.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Wingnut Ninja posted:

poo poo, I want my plane to have that.

AWACS should paint a spiral on the radome, up the RPMs on it, and fly upside down over the battlefield about 500agl to put the whammy on all the opposing soldiers. :colbert:

And fine, you can have sparklers too.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Duke Chin posted:

AWACS should paint a spiral on the radome, up the RPMs on it, and fly upside down over the battlefield about 500agl to put the whammy on all the opposing soldiers. :colbert:

VAW-123 already has that market cornered.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Wingnut Ninja posted:

VAW-123 already has that market cornered.

:swoon: good to see someone in the navy lives in the same cartoonish military comedy fantasy land I do.

Also, how has there not been some demonstration AWACS plane's radome all painted up like Captain America's shield? I mean, that's some patriotic :patriot: recruitment tool poo poo just begging to be done right there. That's so amusingly tacky I'm surprised it hasn't been.

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 3, 2015

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Duke Chin posted:

:swoon: good to see someone in the navy lives in the same cartoonish military comedy fantasy land I do.

Also, how has there not been some demonstration AWACS plane's radome all painted up like Captain America's shield? I mean, that's some patriotic :patriot: recruitment tool poo poo just begging to be done right there. That's so amusingly tacky I'm surprised it hasn't been.

write your local base, get in the paper

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Duke Chin posted:

Isn't he Army? Can't be promoting any of those other branches, they might steal your funding.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Duke Chin posted:

NATO has occasionally done some cool livery:

They actually painted over a few things that I thought weren't supposed to be painted.

But the USAF banned fun several years ago.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Duke Chin posted:

Pretty sure it's because the black on the dome has some logic behind it for ~*~reasons~*~

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

holocaust bloopers posted:

Pretty sure it's because the black on the dome has some logic behind it for ~*~reasons~*~

Yeah I came super close to posting a "huh, y'know, I've always wondered why E3's were ultra high contrast black w/ white stripe" but ehhhhhh. :shrug: poo poo usually is ~*~reasons~*~ Or super-secret radio wave enhancing black paint that they already have 5,000,000,000,000 gallons of in stock from some sweetheart deal a contractor got.

Godholio posted:

NATO has occasionally done some cool livery:

They actually painted over a few things that I thought weren't supposed to be painted.

But the USAF banned fun several years ago.

Yeah I think I remember gray-on-gray chat in the mil thread a couple weeks ago when flagships came up. Man the USAF is so super NO FUN ALLOWED. :mad: That first wac is pretty :swoon: though.

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jun 3, 2015

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Duke Chin posted:

Oh and sparklers.

Well the closest you can get is the recall scheme Stearmans, which were used at training fields where they didn't have radios, to signal everybody that they needed to immediately come back and land if there was, for example, a storm coming in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Duke Chin posted:

Oh and sparklers.

Do acrobatic squadrons count?

Yes, let's the airplane with the carburetored engine and a gravity fed gasline in it that quits in negative Gs in livery that's best appreciated when the aircraft is upside down.