Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

goattrails posted:

I've dogfighted a lot in SC. Its a game.
Not a MMO yet, but a game.

:catstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

MoraleHazard posted:

As an average line member, I thought it was a fun event with the added bonus of Boat's character being in MOA for the loss, which had me giggling privately even today.

The surprise of 'huh it's red. Wait it's MOA!' still has me chuckling and giggling.

goattrails
Nov 27, 2009

Ride the frog, baby!

You can fly spaceships, shoot other spaceships with lasers, bullets and missiles, land, takeoff, walk around, push buttons.
I'd say it qualify as A game.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A game that can't handle more than six people doing that in one area.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Anything that ruins MOA's day is just the best.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Alright, I'll bite.

EG does things things that are literally impossible at an alliance level because some goonswarm line members are loving useless. Our doctrines are limited by our player ability and we have never had any sort of culture that promoted competency at a line member level. You will never get kicked for being bad at eve and so everything that gets done, from harpy fleets to tengus to loving supers is restricted by the lowest common denominator, which happens to be really loving low. EG and reavers are the only groups that are tight knit enough, selective enough, AND have enough members which enables them to form actual fleets with complex doctrines.

The biggest problem really is that mainfleet by and large sucks dick, and people telling you to join sigs or squads to have fun doesn't really solve that problem. If I see a all-all ping go out, I have no way of knowing if the FC is pants on head retarded or not (other than prior experience) because there really isn't any mechanism to prevent criminally stupid people that think untanked algos are a good idea to fight worms with. And even if the FC is good, any wonderful idea he has is again limited by the competency of his members. If I see a reavers broadcast however, I know its going to either be led by asher or the FC will have his seal of approval and I know that at the very least the other members in the fleet are there to kill poo poo. Groups like this also develop a cadre of people that help out the FC. A huge advantage of reavers is Asher knows the people that are supporting him. His scouts, his logi anchor are going to be people he has flown with before over and over again and he doens't need to micromanage them and can simply do his thing.

Look at the revenant kill thing. I wasn't there but I'm going to assume EG was fairly outnumbered but were stomping dicks because it was fleets led by oxygen composed largely of karmafleet retards and only half the people were in the right ships. You can't really just say GET GOOD FAGGOTS when its impossible to do so without drastically changing the alliance.

There is also this idea that people become too good to on on mainfleet ops because of these reasons. Instead of making fleets better by filling crucial roles in fleets to support the FC such as scout, being logi anchor, or otherwise taking any sort of initiative to help the FC during fleets, its just much easier to join EG, reavers, hole squad or any other group that is selective because god drat sometimes you just get tired of no one else giving a poo poo. As a result, there is an alliance wide brain drain where good pilots leave mainfleet behind so they can fly with like minded pilots.

Is it annoying that EG gets toys like nightmare doctrines? Kind of, but I mean our alliance isn't good enough to use ishtars for fucks sake. The only real way to fix this is by doing alliance level deployments like the one that laz did a few months ago, and just fighting a lot of other dudes alongside the same pilots every day but I think the leadership is fine with the GET GOOD niche being filled by EG and reavers.

PookBear fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jun 1, 2015

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Reverand maynard posted:

Alright, I'll bite.

EG does things things that are literally impossible at an alliance level because some goonswarm line members are loving useless. Our doctrines are limited by our player ability and we have never had any sort of culture that promoted competency at a line member level. You will never get kicked for being bad at eve and so everything that gets done, from harpy fleets to tengus to loving supers is restricted by the lowest common denominator, which happens to be really loving low. EG and reavers are the only groups that are tight knit, selective enough, AND have enough members which enables them to form actual fleets with complex doctrines.

The biggest problem really is that mainfleet by and large sucks dick, and people telling you to join sigs or squads to have fun doesn't really solve that problem. If I see a all-all ping go out, I have no way of knowing if the FC is pants on head retarded or not (other than prior experience) because there really isn't any mechanism to prevent criminally stupid people that think untanked algos are a good idea to fight worms with. And even if the FC is good, any wonderful idea he has is again limited by the competency of his members. If I see a reavers broadcast however, I know its going to either be led by asher or the FC will have his seal of approval so I don't have to join with trepidation wondering if the FC has any idea how probing works.

Look at the revenant kill thing. I wasn't there but I'm going to assume EG was fairly outnumbered but were stomping dicks because it was fleets led by oxygen composed largely of karmafleet retards and only half the people were in the right ships. You can't really just say GET GOOD FAGGOTS when its impossible to do so without drastically changing the alliance.

There is also this idea that people become too good to on on mainfleet ops because of these reasons. Instead of making fleets better by filling crucial roles in fleets to support the FC such as scout, being logi anchor, or otherwise taking any sort of initiative during fleets, its just much easier to join EG, reavers, hole squad or any other group that is selective because god drat sometimes you just get tired of no one else giving a poo poo. There is an alliance wide brain drain where good pilots leave mainfleet behind so they can fly in groups where they know the other pilots don't all suck. You can only go on so many bad fleets led by incompetent retards before you say gently caress it and stop showing up and go elsewhere for fun

Is it annoying that EG gets toys like nightmare doctrines? Kind of, but I mean our alliance isn't good enough to use ishtars for fucks sake. The only real way to fix this is by doing alliance level deployments like the one that laz did a few months ago, and just fighting a lot of other dudes alongside the same pilots every day but I think the leadership is fine with the GET GOOD niche being filled by EG and reavers.

This is a lot of words probably 99%of people are going to scroll past btw

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Reverand maynard posted:

Alright, I'll bite.

EG does things things that are literally impossible at an alliance level because some goonswarm line members are loving useless. Our doctrines are limited by our player ability and we have never had any sort of culture that promoted competency at a line member level. You will never get kicked for being bad at eve and so everything that gets done, from harpy fleets to tengus to loving supers is restricted by the lowest common denominator, which happens to be really loving low. EG and reavers are the only groups that are tight knit enough, selective enough, AND have enough members which enables them to form actual fleets with complex doctrines.

The biggest problem really is that mainfleet by and large sucks dick, and people telling you to join sigs or squads to have fun doesn't really solve that problem. If I see a all-all ping go out, I have no way of knowing if the FC is pants on head retarded or not (other than prior experience) because there really isn't any mechanism to prevent criminally stupid people that think untanked algos are a good idea to fight worms with. And even if the FC is good, any wonderful idea he has is again limited by the competency of his members. If I see a reavers broadcast however, I know its going to either be led by asher or the FC will have his seal of approval and I know that at the very least the other members in the fleet are there to kill poo poo. Groups like this also develop a cadre of people that help out the FC. A huge advantage of reavers is Asher knows the people that are supporting him. His scouts, his logi anchor are going to be people he has flown with before over and over again and he doens't need to micromanage them and can simply do his thing.

There is also this idea that people become too good to on on mainfleet ops because of these reasons. Instead of making fleets better by filling crucial roles in fleets to support the FC such as scout, being logi anchor, or otherwise taking any sort of initiative to help the FC during fleets, its just much easier to join EG, reavers, hole squad or any other group that is selective because god drat sometimes you just get tired of no one else giving a poo poo. As a result, there is an alliance wide brain drain where good pilots leave mainfleet behind so they can fly with like minded pilots.

:stare:

uhhhh holy poo poo dude no one cares that eg has a nightmare fleet, this whole arguement is the dumbest thing ive ever heard you guys showed up to a npsi and didnt die o well the rest of us will have to try harder next time.

Different strokes for different folks

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I'll use comic sans over MS paint images for you next time.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

various cheeses posted:

Anything that ruins MOA's day is just the best.
After the drama of the last couple pages, MOA has ended up looking like the most chill guys in all of this actually. :/

The unhappy result of EG's fleet comp does reinforce a thing I've been banging on about for the last couple years, which is that logi is killing eve. The winners have all the fun because they're owning everything and can't die, they've got god-mode on in a pvp game without cheating. The losers have very little fun because they can't even make a dent in the other guy, they have to run away or just lose all their ships. Even at a NPSI "just for fun" event.

This pattern is why people have gotten super risk-adverse even in lowsec T1 frigates, and why 2/3rds of nullsec are members of the imperium. Losing isn't fun anymore.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Reverand maynard posted:

Alright, I'll bite.

This is why I live in syndicate. 99% of our coalition is loving retarded and need the fc to fly their ships for them.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Klyith posted:

Losing isn't fun anymore.

Nerf logi

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
Quit gettin' mad at video games

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015
Logo needs a hard cap, only x amount of reps before stacking penalties make them worthless.

Mitsuo
Jul 4, 2007
What does this box do?

Pookum posted:

Quit gettin' mad at video games

Cmon, half the fun of Eve is the nerd slapfights

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

CashEnsign posted:

Logo needs a hard cap, only x amount of reps before stacking penalties make them worthless.

Delete logi ships, skills and remote repairs all together. Refund SP and make all tanks buffer or local rep.

If 50 guys face 100 guys then the larger fleet will leave the field short 30 or so ships instead of fights being win all versus lose all.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Since bombers need to get even better than they already are

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Zephyrine posted:

Delete logi ships, skills and remote repairs all together. Refund SP and make all tanks buffer or local rep.

If 50 guys face 100 guys then the larger fleet will leave the field short 30 or so ships instead of fights being win all versus lose all.

Instead of getting rid of them, change them to all buffs similar to tracking links. So you can link 2-5 combat ships with different buffs. Some could help increase local tanks on target ships to a point. Others to help damage application.

Believe it or not some people like playing direct support roles. I'd be sad if there were no support roles other than offensive.

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015

Numismancer posted:

No more discussion of "who did something to offend some kind of sensibility at a Vile Rat memorial op". The idea that people who did not know VR are offering views on what he would or would not enjoy in a blueshoot thunderdome and what is appropriate or not under the circumstances of such an op sends me into an unthinking rage.

The absolute last thing that is wise in GSF is to try to talk about VR this or VR that if you didn't know the guy, or incorporate that into some kind of petty intra-squad drama which is, in reality, not between squads, but between individuals and then extrapolated unfairly to whole groups on both sides. Normal human psych bullshit and unavoidable there, 'one guy mouthing off' becomes 'mainfleet', etc.

I'm posting this 24 hours+ after the flareup so the red mist has cleared a bit from my eyes and I won't randomly execute motherfuckers. I'll glance at the bullshit drama in about four days and expect shoegazing and foot-shuffling from anyone dumb enough to have done the above. It should be obvious as gently caress to anyone with half a brain stem the danger of touching the ~third rail~ of bringing up VR in the context of bullshit like this in alliance run by a guy still mourning the murder of one of his best friends.

Is this Martin?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Klyith posted:

After the drama of the last couple pages, MOA has ended up looking like the most chill guys in all of this actually. :/

The unhappy result of EG's fleet comp does reinforce a thing I've been banging on about for the last couple years, which is that logi is killing eve. The winners have all the fun because they're owning everything and can't die, they've got god-mode on in a pvp game without cheating. The losers have very little fun because they can't even make a dent in the other guy, they have to run away or just lose all their ships. Even at a NPSI "just for fun" event.

This pattern is why people have gotten super risk-adverse even in lowsec T1 frigates, and why 2/3rds of nullsec are members of the imperium. Losing isn't fun anymore.

You'd think it would be a sign that something is wrong when the basic premise of every single fleet doctrine for the last few years has been "blow up the target in 1-2 volleys because killing anything is impossible once reps land" might have been a sign of a fundamental design problem.

...obviously, it became even more fun scaled up to the logical extremes where alpha was no longer a reasonable option.

Mitsuo
Jul 4, 2007
What does this box do?

CashEnsign posted:

Is this Martin?

Yes, numismancer is the mittani

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

This is why I live in syndicate. 99% of our coalition is loving retarded and need the fc to fly their ships for them.

The closer you get to VFK (YA0 nowadays?) the higher pitched everyones' voices get and the more giggling you hear on comms.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

lol

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

You don't remember the rigorous application process?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

The problem really is logi when combined with t2/t3/faction BS resists. A celestis gets 565 EHP per second from every exeq repairing it, while a tengu with bonuses gets 2.9k ehp/s for every logi repping it and gets 3.6k ehp/s with overheated hardeners, and that's not even taking into account damage mitigation from its low sig radius. A usual roaming doctrine will do from 200-700 DPS which means that in order to kill a FYF celestis you need 2-3 times more dps ships than they have logi which is easily doable, while you need 16 harpies to counter the reps from one scimitar when shooting a tengu.

This is also why taking harpies up against t3s is loving laffo as you just get blasted by medium guns without any hope of doing more than scratching some paint. You're much better off using ewar frigats against t3s instead of harpies as you just don't really do much.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

What I mean is that you only get people that want to be there. At the very least they have to actually make it into the hole, which is really easy but it ups the lowest common denominator by quite a bit.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hi pooki

Mitsuo
Jul 4, 2007
What does this box do?
What if resists adversely affected rep amount? Hard to break, hard to fix.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
Someone here posted an idea about logi increasing resists rather than directly repping as a balancing fix for large fleets which I really liked but I'm not going to go through 1000+ backposts trying to find it.

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

We've had a bunch of BLOPs vets say that we should become more ~elite~, because you know how well that worked for the long-term health of BLOPs and TG.

He's right about the effort bar, though. Loss of SRP is another consideration.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Everyone just empty quote my post for Eg.Txt. Drama free and informational. Now you can go back to your regularly scheduled poo poo posting

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

scandoslav posted:

He's right about the effort bar, though. Loss of SRP is another consideration.

What I'm saying is we're road warrior madmax viking spartan 300 toughmans because of natural selection, not any of these ~artificial~ vouches. :shepface:

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

vyst posted:

Everyone just empty quote my post for Eg.Txt. Drama free and informational. Now you can go back to your regularly scheduled poo poo posting

Speked
Dec 13, 2011

LTA Represent !!
I like being in GoonWaffe.

You guys, FC's, sig/squad leaders, directors of various kinds etc. are doing a fantastic and wonderful job, keeping me entertained when I do log on.

Thank you.

Mitsuo
Jul 4, 2007
What does this box do?

vyst posted:

I'd advise you to think very carefully in future before making statements like this in a public forum

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

scandoslav posted:

What I'm saying is we're road warrior madmax viking spartan 300 toughmans because of natural selection, not any of these ~artificial~ vouches. :shepface:

Anyone can join hole squid (except for karmafleet, they need 2 vouches for some reason or another) and if they don't like it they slowly just disappear, and hole squad just keeps on that real poo poo.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
Devilish Ledoux did his black and yellow brawl fleet thing this weekend and while I didn't go due to RL time commitments, however the idea of using cheapo t1 module ships to thunderdome with and not having postmonkeys throwing their turds around about it is about as in the spirit of VR as it gets.

Now that the rev kill has been :regd08:'d, maybe dudes who want to get mad about not-rules for shootblues events should nut up and get in on a brawler's club match or two.

At the very least, no one bringing his event up in the last 5 or 6 pages is a drat shame.

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

orange juche posted:

(except for karmafleet, they need 2 vouches for some reason or another)

Three months of membership and good standing. I guess uncle pilot really wants them to have a good showing.

orange juche posted:

and if they don't like it they slowly just disappear, and hole squad just keeps on that real poo poo.

I assume some of them are spies who discover that we don't do anything worth reporting, and/or thieves who find out we're poor.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
dbrb is bad and dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

same

• Locked thread