Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I see your dinner party went well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Pfft you skipped past the 2 huevos 1 rancheros recipe: http://www.somethingawful.com/comedy-goldmine/awful-food-drink/5/

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I love this photo so much. It is probably one of my favorites ever.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Ouch, aren't those ceramic dutch ovens hundreds of dollars?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

This is performance art, right?

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Sometime in highschool one of my classes took a camping trip. One morning a student was tasked with making scrambled eggs for everyone and I guess he always adds a little powdered sugar to his eggs so that's what he did. Except he grabbed a can of Ajax by accident. The whole class was halfway through their eggs before we realized why they tasted funny.

Everyone yelled at the kid and we made him clean the whole cooking area at the campgrounds alone. I felt kinda bad for him actually, that is until I realized he was scrubbing everything down with powdered sugar because he grabbed the 'other can' again.

Still not sure if he tried to poison us and then troll us or what.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Powdered sugar in scrambles? This is the true cooking cockup of the story.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Suspect Bucket posted:

This is performance art, right?

The first one is, at least.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I can't even see how to do the second one without either lighting the pasta on fire by hand or only adding the water after the pasta has already caught.

e: I mean, from the burn patterns it looks like the rim of the saucepan started the fire, but the water isn't even boiling...

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

pumpinglemma posted:

I can't even see how to do the second one without either lighting the pasta on fire by hand or only adding the water after the pasta has already caught.

e: I mean, from the burn patterns it looks like the rim of the saucepan started the fire, but the water isn't even boiling...

It's the only one of the group that I have trouble believing is real and not set up.

It gets a pass though because it's really funny.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
You can see that the burner beneath the pot is larger than the pot itself. Flames coming up the sides of the pot can easily catch pasta.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Psychobabble posted:

You can see that the burner beneath the pot is larger than the pot itself. Flames coming up the sides of the pot can easily catch pasta.

I have witnessed someone doing this.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

Missing Name posted:

Powdered sugar in scrambles? This is the true cooking cockup of the story.

eh, I've known a few people who do that. dunno why they do, but they put a pinch of powdered sugar in their scrambled eggs.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

letthereberock posted:

My wife and I got an urge for late-night chocolate chip cookies. The only problem is, our kitchen is right next to the baby's room - and he'd been having some rough sleeping nights, so I didn't want to risk waking him up by turning all the lights on. No matter! I've made chocolate chip cookies so many times I can easily make them with nothing but the faint stove-light.

So - butter, sugar, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, flour, baking soda, chocolate chips - I'm mixing everything together, but why am I getting this strong smell of....toothpaste?

Turns out that the bottles of vanilla extract and mint extract are the exact same shape and size. I'd forgotten I had the mint extract and in the dark, I hadn't bothered to look at the bottle before putting it in.

Now, minty-chocolate chip cookies wouldn't necessarily be inedible, but mint extract is STRONG - this was at least 3 times as much as you'd want to use if that is what you were going for. By that point I was too tired to make another batch - so no cookies for us.

I would still eat that. In fact, I might like it even more.

I'm the disiaster. It's me.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Skinny King Pimp posted:

eh, I've known a few people who do that. dunno why they do, but they put a pinch of powdered sugar in their scrambled eggs.

Causes extra Maillard browning without the extra cook time aka drying and toughening.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Splizwarf posted:

Causes extra Maillard browning without the extra cook time aka drying and toughening.

Who the hell eats browned scrambled eggs? Nazis?

anthropogentric
Sep 7, 2000

Forum Veteran

Splizwarf posted:

I'm guessing it's a combination of that and the sucrose getting in the way of over-coagulation of the proteins in the egg.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I knew people who put a wack of syrup in their eggs because they cannot eat anything that isn't drowned in sugar in some way. Sugar creep woo.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Jyrraeth posted:

I knew people who put a wack of syrup in their eggs because they cannot eat anything that isn't drowned in sugar in some way. Sugar creep woo.

I don't mind syrup on scrambled eggs, so long as those eggs were next to my waffles and bacon.

Or if those eggs are being used to make French toast. I dunno, maybe they were gonna make French toast one day and had like, no bread or milk, so they made the eggs anyway.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Suspect Bucket posted:

I don't mind syrup on scrambled eggs, so long as those eggs were next to my waffles and bacon.

Or if those eggs are being used to make French toast. I dunno, maybe they were gonna make French toast one day and had like, no bread or milk, so they made the eggs anyway.

Those are things I don't have a problem with. This family just put a big squirt of syrup in the beaten egg every time they made eggs because "it made them amazing!!".

Yolo Swaggins Esq
Jan 29, 2015

oOoOoh 👀 a dapper little mouse🎩 🐀🕺🏻🕺🏻 a dAppER MoUSe🧐🐀 🚶🏿‍♂️🚶🏿‍♂️it’s a 🎩DAPPER mouse 👀✔️🐀🥾🏃🏽‍♂️🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🏃🏽‍♂️🐀💥

Suspect Bucket posted:

I don't even understand people who put syrup on French toast instead of salt/pepper, so sugar eggs is straight up horrifying.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
Sweet and savory french toast are two very different things. I'm not gonna put salt and pepper on french toast made with vanilla and cinnamon in the egg batter.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I'm guessing that the Japanese sushi egg thing where they add a boatload of sugar is horrifying too?

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

dino. posted:

I'm guessing that the Japanese sushi egg thing where they add a boatload of sugar is horrifying too?

It kinda is. They're tasty enough but you can only have a slice or two before you get sick of them. The texture is really great though so I usually make mine with fish sauce instead of sugar. Seems to help me not get horrifyingly sick of them after a bite or two.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007

dino. posted:

Tamagoyaki is great, but you only put like a teaspoon of sugar in it. At least that's what my host mom did.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
You're also not meant to eat a ton of it.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

AnonSpore posted:

You're also not meant to eat a ton of it.

Then what do you do with 3+ eggs worth of it for leftovers then?

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

No-shrink tart recipe, my rear end.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Went to a dinner party on Friday, they made pulled pork out of a tenderloin, it was so tough and rubbery... To top it off it was accompanied by homemade barbeque sauce that was vile.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Bob Morales posted:

sacrilege against the Holy Swine King

how the everliving gently caress do you manage to make a pig tenderloin not tender? Boil it?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Cause they probably braised it for hours like you would a pork butt. Which is stupid and hilarious.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Why would you put bbq sauce on tenderloin...

Funny thing that's bugging me. In the new Final Fantasy that's coming out, there's a cooking mechanic to give you buffs and stuff. Unfortunately, one of the recipes they were showing off in the demo was... Chicken Tenderloin Stew. Noooooooooooooooo so many nerds who cant cook are going to ruin innocent pieces of meat now

It wasn't even like Shabu-Shabu style (which would be awesome with tenderloin), it was just a badly named chicken stew. So sad. Especially since you're harvesting the chicken from a giant cockatrice thing that would benefit from being done coq-au-vin style.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jun 10, 2015

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I don't know if you realize the chicken in those games are chocobos which I imagine would need a longer cooking time.

Duh.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Suspect Bucket posted:

Why would you put bbq sauce on tenderloin...

Funny thing that's bugging me. In the new Final Fantasy that's coming out, there's a cooking mechanic to give you buffs and stuff. Unfortunately, one of the recipes they were showing off in the demo was... Chicken Tenderloin Stew. Noooooooooooooooo so many nerds who cant cook are going to ruin innocent pieces of meat now

It wasn't even like Shabu-Shabu style (which would be awesome with tenderloin), it was just a badly named chicken stew. So sad. Especially since you're harvesting the chicken from a giant cockatrice thing that would benefit from being done coq-au-vin style.

Complain at them if it really bothers you. They might actually do something since it hasn't released.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

CrazySalamander posted:

Complain at them if it really bothers you. They might actually do something since it hasn't released.

Dear Final Fantasy English Translators: Please change something because it annoys me.

Even if it is a tenderloin from a large athletic animal, it has little fat or connective tissue to break down in stewing. You just don't stew tenderloin. If it's that tough or ruined, you put it in your sausage pile.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
Don't put salt in orange soda because you wanted a sweeter fix and didn't realize it wasn't sugar.

Also don't leave cookies to warm in the oven even if it's turned off. That is, if you weren't going for gum-shredding cookie-shaped biscotti.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Don't leave a huge pot of chicken stew out overnight in the middle of summer just because it was just fine when you did it during winter. :(

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Pooncha posted:

Also don't leave cookies to warm in the oven even if it's turned off. That is, if you weren't going for gum-shredding cookie-shaped biscotti.
Nothing wrong cleaning up and firing up the dishwasher directly below the cookies I'm cooling off. The bottoms were like 60 grit sandpaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

AnonSpore posted:

Don't leave a huge pot of chicken stew out overnight in the middle of summer just because it was just fine when you did it during winter. :(
No one died, right?