Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.
I asked a bit ago about Ora et Labora and people were pretty much like "it's boring." But Glass Road got mentioned in passing, and I'm looking at some videos of it and it looks possibly pretty great. What do goons think of this one? I'm sorta looking for shorter-ish games with depth (I've already got Race for the Galaxy and will be ordering Viticulture soon, considering Roll ftG) so if you have suggestions in that vein that might be alright, also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBag
May 18, 2006

I like it quite a bit though I've only played with 2 so far so not sure what it's like with more, I imagine it scales well though. It's an ultra quick tablue builder that feels a bit like a super condensed version of Ora et Labora, but with a pretty interesting action selection mechanism. It can feel like you have almost no time to get anything done, it really ends just as you get any semblance of an engine going, which seems to be the biggest complaint i've heard but I like the tension of it. There's also a lot of variability with all the different buildings, even if some behave similarly, and trying to figure out a good combination of buildings and actually getting them makes each game interesting and a little different. The rules even say you can just add an extra round if you want a longer game ad well. I like it quite a bit, if you enjoy his other games I imagine you'll enjoy this one as well.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

EvilChameleon posted:

I asked a bit ago about Ora et Labora and people were pretty much like "it's boring." But Glass Road got mentioned in passing, and I'm looking at some videos of it and it looks possibly pretty great. What do goons think of this one? I'm sorta looking for shorter-ish games with depth (I've already got Race for the Galaxy and will be ordering Viticulture soon, considering Roll ftG) so if you have suggestions in that vein that might be alright, also.

I cannot abide Glass Road. It's absolutely dead and no fun at all. RoFTG is OK, if not my favourite. Viticulture is great, of course.

If you want a shorter game with depth, and if you can find it, try Sylla. It's a little hard to describe; it centres on balancing political capital and wealth to promote different spheres of influence in several different ways. It's sort of a cross between Dogs of War and a tableau builder. The mini-expansion improves it a bit by adding variance to the events and a drawback to the one safe investment, but the base game is fine.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

rchandra posted:

I got to play Titan today, went over really well with some new players. One was a bit slow but hopefully that will improve, finished a 5-player game in around 6 hours with rules explanation and not playing any turns during battles. 3rd and 4th place was a mutual elimination: Titan-on-Titan battle with the attacker having forgotten his only Angel had already died, so had to use his Titan a bit more aggressively to win, letting the defender counterattack and kill it at the end.

drat, I forgot that game ever existed. I remember I owned the AH version and never once played it.

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

Hauki posted:

Meh. I assume Wizkids is who I should contact about that? Doubly annoyed, because even though it's completely unrelated to the above issue, Cardhaus screwed up the order that included Lost Legion on top of that and I've gotten a couple promotion e-mails from them since contacting them, but no response to my issue.

Yeah, I contacted Wizkids when I had huge tile problems and they were pretty good at replacements. Still the worst mistake I've ever seen in a board-game printing - 13 extra copies of tiles, 10 missing.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I said I would play Hegemonic today. And it was the weirdest experience I've ever had with a board game. I've never played a game that began with such animosity that turned to quizzical interest then became ruthless cutthroat action.

Hegemonic is a hodgepodge of mechanics. At its core it's a simple area control game with dominance rules straight out of El Grande. You control the most things in a galaxy board? You get points. Tie? You get a little less points, it all makes sense. Actually accomplishing these actions is ripped straight from Race for the Galaxy where everyone simultaneously selects an action which are executed in ascending order of power. That's all fine and good, we've played Race, we understand this power play.

Then the big gently caress YOU comes in conflict resolution. There are three buidings -- industrial complexes, political embassies, and martial outposts -- that all contribute power towards scoring. Bases within range support each other, somewhat similar to Game of Thrones but nowhere near as straightforward. Each base has a unique power structure that's both a nightmare to explain while also being subtly complex enough to allow some very clever thinking.

I'll start with this: Hegemonic is a loving nightmare to teach. I've read the rules multiple times. I've played through sample turns by myself. I went through a complete sample turn with my friends. It still took us an hour to understand the inner workings of the game. Part of that stems from the game having no real peers to compare it. It's an amalgamation of mechanics from various popular games, but none of those games can be used as an example for how this actually works. I started with how to win the game: control areas. I then explained how you accomplish control: generating power by building bases. I then went over the means of creating bases and interacting with each other: playing action cards which initiate conflicts that are modified by technology cards. Finally I had to go over the actual advancement of technology which modifies the way actions and bases interact with each to generate power to score points to win the game. gently caress.

All said and done the first round was an absolute mess. One guy came ahead 16 points because he dominated two areas while the rest of us were just trying to manage our ever dwindling economies. By round 3 we were all miserable and doing what we normally do when playing a bad game: start cracking jokes, flinging pieces around, getting up for drinks and so on. Suddenly, in round 3 the light bulb turned on. The board began to make sense, my brain started connecting invisible lines, the structure of power and technology all formed together into a cohesive idea of how I could one-up my opponents.

Hegemonic is fantastically complex in a way that good board games can be. The placement of tiles is supremely important and we found ourselves playing a tight battle with surprisingly deep logistics. And that's the key word here, logistics, as Hegemonic's conflict resolution is 100% numbers. Complexes are the only bases that can attack on their own and they can also bridge wide gaps by creating gates which allow for massive chain attacks through a single consolidated location. Gates being two-way portals so enemies can use them as you can. Embassies on their own are weak but when grouped they can lend their power to agent units from anywhere on the board. So true to their theme you have super spies sneaking behind enemy lines. Outposts are supporting buildings: one outpost draws its power from all other outposts in range which lends it to a fleet unit in range. So with proper placement outposts can consolidate power into a single point; they're not so great beyond their support range but are like creating a giant SPACE WALL in their area of effect.

It's hard to describe the structure of the game just like it's hard to loving teach it, but the conflicts were exhilarating. It's a ruthless game. You can't turtle because you score by having presence in the galaxy boards. You have to play aggressively because you earn money by building and some actions let you replace enemy buildings with your own much like the coup action in Twilight Struggle. Despite the rocky start we ended the game with a very close score.The last place guy only trailed by 10 points from the winner total. It's a high scoring game but so tight that a runaway winner means either A: that player was exceptionally better or B: everyone else was just terrible!

We all agreed that the game was too busy but can't decide on what, if anything, it does wrong besides being a fiddly mess. Even the player who hated it the most walked away saying "I'd play this again" while another player was like "This is overwrought but interestingly complex." And I feel the same. I think the most damning thing is its lack of identity. Where does it fit in the board game pantheon? Who do I recommend it to? This is teeechnically a 4X game but if your experience begins and/or ends at Twilight Imperium and Eclipse you're going to chuck this in the trash. It's not Ameritrash, it's 100% strategy and no theme outside of backer-named races. It's more fiddly, direct, and abstract than a lot of Euros I've played. The constant back and forth and area scoring make it feel more akin to a war game but there's the micromanaging of your board that separates it from being next to even the most abstract wargames like 1812 or Twilight Struggle.

And I'm not even going to get into the political play. You can give money to players and even lend your political power to their conflicts. We didn't know this until the end and money is so tight that you'll find yourself forming alliances at odd times.

This is a lot of words to say "I don't know how I feel but I don't hate it." Not exactly praise but not condemnation either. I recommend it to people who like area control scoring, very little luck, and abstract as gently caress number crunching conflict because that's Hegemonic in a nutshell.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, Hegemonic is pretty cool. I need to get it back on the table again soon. I honestly feel like calling it a 4x puts the wrong idea in people's heads, though.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I'd agree with all points, and I only played about 3/4 of one game. Fantastically interesting. I'd play it again. The kickstarter coins were *boss*.

...SUSD thinks Deus is too random? I mean yeah, it's a single deck game like any other, but...

And Kingdom Builder is *less* random? Jesus.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
Tell me about Libertalia

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

Tell me about Libertalia

Best pirate themed game. Quick. Get the cheat sheet that tells you what player count should go with which color decks.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

djfooboo posted:

Best pirate themed game. Quick. Get the cheat sheet that tells you what player count should go with which color decks.

Thanks, I swear someone posted about it recently but I went back a buncha pages and couldn't find it.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

silvergoose posted:

...SUSD thinks Deus is too random? I mean yeah, it's a single deck game like any other, but...

And Kingdom Builder is *less* random? Jesus.

Yeah I've played not too much Deus but it didn't seem overly random compared to other games.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Anyone tried out Captains of Industry? It appeared on my radar a while back because it has a full blown market economy in it (and I'm a nerd that way) but is only just now hitting shops.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/131449/captains-industry

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Someone brought it to game night but we ended up playing Keyflower instead and he was very sad.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Played a bunch of games on Saturday;

Started with two rounds of Galaxy Trucker; this was a bit different though as we played with my friend's 5 & 6 yr old. The 5 year old latched onto the idea of the radioactive cargo containers and managed to use every one in each ship she built, with help anyway. The 6 yr old constantly ignored the connection rules though, so we had to help there a bit too. Both did alright, positive in cash by the end of two rounds, helped by not being in front ever though. It was amusing to watch two kids that didn't understand much of the deeper strategy to the game play it though and still end up positive. Meteors were the thing that did them in more than anything else, since myself or the other two adults would be in front to handle all the smugglers and pirates.

Moved into a game of Dungeon Lords where the only thing that kept me from victory was two tax letters since what I was counting on the other players doing (mining) did not occur when i wanted it to, but I had two fairly easy rounds of heroes to deal with, both years they only took over a single tile. The special event in the first year was the earthquake which knocked one player's dungeon from the starting 3 tunnels to one early on which knocked out her souvenir shop. Ended up being pretty close over all - 26, 24, 22 pts.

From there it was Castles of the Mad King Ludwig, where despite being in last for much of the game I managed to pull ahead when all the extra points poured in; I pulled a bunch of utility rooms to get more point scoring and rocketed up front as a result, and i had focused on specific room sizes which netted me a number of points, conveniently being the utility rooms I pulled. I had a very compact castle since I didn't use hardly any of the round rooms, although as a whole it made no sense and the entrance was through a bedroom and the east tapestry chamber was in the west and the secret room was down a stairway by the entrance.

I also played some Bunny Bunny Moose Moose since the kids were wanting to play another game, albeit we didn't use the more complicated cards and the 5 yr old was always the exact same bunny every time and the 6 yr old would point at the cards to tell us what he was doing instead of doing it no matter how many times we said he had to make the ears or antlers.

Lastly ended it with Eminent Domain, I pulled the battlecruiser start so of course I focused on making GBS threads out ships, eventually getting deep space probe so i could stack the planet deck to put +fighter worlds on top before I pull them, and waiting until I had gotten two planets in my empire ready to attack before using War Path to take both in one go. Ended up with something like 14 planets, a hand size of 8, 2 fighters every turn, 2 free warfare boosts and a free survey boost and some other junk I didn't care about since I was just going for point numbers after a bit. With such a big hand size and a very specific deck it was pretty easy to just discard a full hand to try to get the techs back in hand quicker. The few times one player did warfare I was usually pulling 5-6 ships at a time. We did play with extended game so 2 depleted piles.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Played my first game of Cuba Libre on Friday. 4 players, nobody was familiar with COIN games besides reading the rules. Overally it had a very strange flow to it, but I'm not sure if that's because it was our first time (see also: Chaos in the Old World game 1) or if the game just inherently has a weird flow to it. The first couple rounds were admittedly pretty wasted since nobody knew what the hell they were doing, but then the game sorta became a "dogpile on the guy that's winning" kind of game, until some Event gave someone the needed swing to win the game outright. Again, it was a first time game, but I knew the swinginess of the event deck didn't sit well with some of the players, especially the guy playing Castro who consistently got like 3rd or 4th in the player order, so he barely got to do much of anything (compounded by the fact he had dick all for resources). I'd definitely play it and other COIN games again, but I'm curious whether or not that swinginess is real or just perceived.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
Am I too late for storagechat? I just repurposed this shelf that was sitting in the kitchen not really doing much.

The Scotch container is for Diskwars disks, the stuff on top of the shelf is for sale/trade. There are two drawers at the bottom to store my storage solutions that have not yet been applied to games. My collection is so shameful, look how small it is / how much empty space there is.

I'm getting Roll ftG from my friend today at a good price, and I'm still gonna be picking up Viticulture. I'm pretty certain I want Glass Road despite what Jedit said. I'm gonna play Fresco today to see how I feel about that. Any other recommendations for solid / medium-heavy games that can be played in ~1h, or thoughts about Glass Road or Fresco? Considering Istanbul but I didn't love it when I first played it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I've been playing a lot of Imperial Settlers the past two weeks we're just not seeing high scores from anyone. The highest our group of 3 has managed is 65. What are we doing wrong? Personally, I prioritize production early and card draw throughout the game, focusing mostly on drawing from my civ deck. Any other general pointers? Noone has managed to get their score tracker even past like 30 during the game. We're always pretty resource starved just to build some buildings and never produce enough to really take advantage of action -> victory point funnels. We're also pretty light on attacking one another, so that's not really keeping scores low or anything.

I know it's considered not very good, but I got it in a trade and like it enough that I'm happy to have it and play.

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

It'll be like a real doll that moves around and talks and stuff!

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

Tell me about Libertalia

I wrote about it in my big game day post last week, but it was before the 6 or so pages of people showing off their board game storage. Here's the bit about Libertalia.

QnoisX posted:

After watching Goonies (kinda required) we played Libertalia. Okay, so you all have a deck of 30 cards, marked with 1 through 30 on them. One player randomly selects 9 of those and everyone else looks through their deck and selects the same ones. There are 6 days to go through where everyone selects a card. The cards are placed in order from lowest to highest with ties resolved by a second 1-6 silver number on the cards. Then you do the possible day actions on the cards in lowest to highest order. After that you go in reverse order picking one of the 4 (1 per player) possible treasure tokens and adding your card to your "den". Then you resolve any night actions on the cards. After 6 rounds of that, you have a day of rest where you resolve any anchor actions on the remaining cards in your den and count up your points. This cycle repeats 2 more times, with your cards being filled back up to 9 each time. Left over cards in your hand from the previous rounds will be different for each player so it gets more diverse as you go. Many of the cards have negative day effects that happen immediately, but if you manage to keep them in your den till the day of rest, you gain a nice bonus. This is where the game can be annoying I guess. The player to my left killed every good character I had and basically crippled me the whole game. I was in last place the whole game and yet he kept attacking my characters, even when the player to his left (most attacks are limited to your right and left) had the same character in his den. Maybe it's because they are brothers, dunno.. Either way, on the third week I made it my goal to end him. Most of the treasure we drew were cursed or attacks. So every round I focused on collecting the cursed treasures. Clearly he wasn't paying attention because he played the Captain or whatever it is that gives you an additional penalty for having cursed treasure. On the final day I played the monkey card and passed all of my cursed treasure to him. With the additional penalty card in play, that gave him around negative 24 points. Mean? Spiteful? Worth it? Yes. The player to my right won the game, nothing I could have done to prevent it. But at least I was no longer in last place.

Don't get me wrong, I would play it again.

Didn't mention that the treasure tokens are both good and bad. There's the boxes of wares worth 1 point, jewels worth 3 points, treasure chest worth 5 points, the map which is only good if you collect 3 (good luck) and then it's worth 12 points. There's also the sword which let's you kill another player's character and the Spanish officer which kills your own character. Finally the cursed relic which nets you -3 points. When it's your turn for loot you have to take something, so if it's all bad...well, you should have played a higher numbered character to go first.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

GrandpaPants posted:

Played my first game of Cuba Libre on Friday. 4 players, nobody was familiar with COIN games besides reading the rules. Overally it had a very strange flow to it, but I'm not sure if that's because it was our first time (see also: Chaos in the Old World game 1) or if the game just inherently has a weird flow to it. The first couple rounds were admittedly pretty wasted since nobody knew what the hell they were doing, but then the game sorta became a "dogpile on the guy that's winning" kind of game, until some Event gave someone the needed swing to win the game outright. Again, it was a first time game, but I knew the swinginess of the event deck didn't sit well with some of the players, especially the guy playing Castro who consistently got like 3rd or 4th in the player order, so he barely got to do much of anything (compounded by the fact he had dick all for resources). I'd definitely play it and other COIN games again, but I'm curious whether or not that swinginess is real or just perceived.

In terms of swinginess, it's still a single deck game so there's some of that (sometimes Echeverría or General Strike comes up last and gently caress you) and the game is generally tight enough that any player can theoretically come back. I wouldn't recommend it to Broken Loose. But once you get the hang of it it gets a lot better. First off it takes a little while to figure out how to play your faction right cause all of them have huge differences in play and often behave counter-intuitively. And while you should obviously be dogpiling on somebody who can win, experience makes it a little easier both to know how to attack someone effectively and how to defend yourself. So while there is a potential for swinginess it's very much mitigated once you actually know how to play.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

EvilChameleon posted:

Am I too late for storagechat? I just repurposed this shelf that was sitting in the kitchen not really doing much.

The Scotch container is for Diskwars disks, the stuff on top of the shelf is for sale/trade. There are two drawers at the bottom to store my storage solutions that have not yet been applied to games. My collection is so shameful, look how small it is / how much empty space there is.

I'm getting Roll ftG from my friend today at a good price, and I'm still gonna be picking up Viticulture. I'm pretty certain I want Glass Road despite what Jedit said. I'm gonna play Fresco today to see how I feel about that. Any other recommendations for solid / medium-heavy games that can be played in ~1h, or thoughts about Glass Road or Fresco? Considering Istanbul but I didn't love it when I first played it.

Glass Road is my favorite Uwe Rosenberg game. The action selection mechanic is tense, but rewarding. The game has an interesting mix of strategy in terms of what buildings you buy + resources you gather, along with how you achieve that through action selection. It doesn't last too long, and there's enough buildings that each game feels pretty fresh.

I played Fresco once, and without any of the advance modules. It was a fine worker placement game, if a little simplistic (though modules could fix that). I wouldn't particularly recommend it, but if the theme intrigues you, go for it.

Troyes might be worth a look for you.

topiKal
Mar 11, 2006

Rock Solid.
Heart Touching.

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

Tell me about Libertalia

It doesn't get mentioned all that often in this thread but Libertalia really is one of my favorite games. It's easy to teach and quick to setup. It also moves fast and there are almost always at least a couple viable strategies -- also it's important to pay attention to what other people are playing. Plus, since each "campaign" is kind of a whole new setup, the games often end up somewhat close at the end (the leader usually gets pummeled or at least somewhat targeted in the next round). Anyway, it's fun. Don't even try to play it with less than 4 people.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

topiKal posted:

It doesn't get mentioned all that often in this thread but Libertalia really is one of my favorite games. It's easy to teach and quick to setup. It also moves fast and there are almost always at least a couple viable strategies -- also it's important to pay attention to what other people are playing. Plus, since each "campaign" is kind of a whole new setup, the games often end up somewhat close at the end (the leader usually gets pummeled or at least somewhat targeted in the next round). Anyway, it's fun. Don't even try to play it with less than 4 people.
Conversely, I think Libertalia suffers at 5 and 6 players by virtue of taking longer and being vastly harder to predict what cards everyone will play and to remember what's been played. 3 or 4 players were basically the sweet spots when I owned it.

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007
Has anyone played Mysterium? I was reading the SU&SD Review and it sounds interesting. What do people think? (Also, any recommendations for where to get it in the UK? It looks like ordering from http://portalgames.pl/ for around £37 is the best bet I can see)

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

burger time posted:

Glass Road is my favorite Uwe Rosenberg game. The action selection mechanic is tense, but rewarding. The game has an interesting mix of strategy in terms of what buildings you buy + resources you gather, along with how you achieve that through action selection. It doesn't last too long, and there's enough buildings that each game feels pretty fresh.

I really like Glass Road as well; I can see how people might not like it, but I find it a tense, interesting game with a great central mechanism. I've no use for Agricola and rarely get Le Havre to the table, but I am really glad I got Glass Road.

Edit: Mysterium was the best new game I played at Geekway this year, a cross between Dixit and Clue. That's a very apt description but sells it short somewhat. Soon to be published in English but with different artwork, I think. Can't wait to pick a copy of this one up.

atholbrose fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jun 1, 2015

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,

burger time posted:

I played Fresco once, and without any of the advance modules. It was a fine worker placement game, if a little simplistic (though modules could fix that). I wouldn't particularly recommend it, but if the theme intrigues you, go for it.

Troyes might be worth a look for you.

Troyes is hidden on my shelf! I love it, one of my favourites. The only problem is that teaching it is a bit of a hassle because it can take some people a while to wrap their heads around it, and I'm not the best at teaching it to be honest. If I get a group of people together who all know how to play it, 1h game is easily done, but with new people + explanation it definitely edges into the 2h territory. Not that games have to be a certain time frame to be good/bad, I still love the game, I just need to figure out a better way to teach it I think.

What you said about Fresco is basically the impression I got. It's alright, medium game, and the modules are supposed to make it tweakable to the level of complexity you might want. I'm not sure I'll like it, it just seemed to fit into what I'm sort of looking for and being potentially interesting.

Thanks to you and atholbrose for the words about Glass Road. Those are the impressions I got from watching it played so I think I might go and grab it (especially since my local dealer has a small sale on it).

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Heisenberg1276 posted:

Has anyone played Mysterium? I was reading the SU&SD Review and it sounds interesting. What do people think? (Also, any recommendations for where to get it in the UK? It looks like ordering from http://portalgames.pl/ for around £37 is the best bet I can see)
It's an interesting game with some flaws that are readily apparent even from the very first game.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.

Jedit posted:

That's the small and the medium; the large is bigger than most boxes will take and probably unnecessary as two mediums will fit.

I stopped by a Home Bargains on the way back from (there is one less than 5 minutes from my FLGS) and while I was able to get a medium one, they didn't have small size ones which was a shame.

Regardless, the medium one is a perfect fit for Agricola and I'll definitely be getting another one for Scoville.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

Tell me about Libertalia

TableTop played it the other week, so you can see it played with decent production values.

Being played on TableTop is a dubious honour, though.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
If you want to know more about Libertalia, just take it for a spin on BGA. My personal feelings on the game are that it's cute but wears thin.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
SUSD has posted a more detailed description of Vlaada Chvatil's new game, Codenames.

quote:

I had a chat with the lovely Eric Lang (Chaos in the Old World, XCOM) about this game, and he said it was the consequence of Vlaada making super complex games in recent years, like Tash-Kalar and Mage Knight. He wanted to make something simple. My god, did he ever succeed! This game was all my friends wanted to talk about.

Codenames is a team game played with a 5x5 grid of words. Using a tiny stand, the team captains can see which words are their colour, which words belong to the other team, which words are neutral and which word is the assassin.

The game is simple. The team captains take turns saying a single word and a number, for example “Safari 3”. That would mean that three of their team’s words relate to safaris. The team proper (which might just be one person) then has to point to words on the grid, as if they were playing minesweeper. Whatever they point at is covered with that word’s colour- red, blue, or white for neutral "civilians". This keeps going until they point at a word that isn’t their colour, or choose to stop. The team to get all their colours on the board first wins, but if a team points to the assassin word then they lose the game instantly.

(...)

Codenames is scheduled for a Gen Con release, and we’ll be bringing you the earliest possible review.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Zveroboy posted:

I stopped by a Home Bargains on the way back from (there is one less than 5 minutes from my FLGS) and while I was able to get a medium one, they didn't have small size ones which was a shame.

Regardless, the medium one is a perfect fit for Agricola and I'll definitely be getting another one for Scoville.

I would advise getting more than you need while they're in stock. I have three medium and four small lying around, and wouldn't have those except the last few games I bought all either had good inserts or pieces that don't fit.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Gutter Owl posted:

SUSD has posted a more detailed description of Vlaada Chvatil's new game, Codenames.

I'LL TAKE SIX

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Gutter Owl posted:

vlaada does it again folks

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Gutter Owl posted:

My brain melted, I think I need to see a video of this for what the gently caress is going on.

Stumiester
Dec 3, 2004

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

Heisenberg1276 posted:

I really enjoy it. Warning though: Portal games are awful. Made an order there - only acknowledgement I had was from Paypal that I had paid them, and then from the delivery company 3 weeks later saying they had delivered the package. Nothing else. They didn't respond to any emails or calls. I consider it an absolute miracle that I got the game.

Mileage may vary though.

Oh, and those crystal balls are only in the Italian version, not the Polish.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

My brain melted, I think I need to see a video of this for what the gently caress is going on.

The summary text wasn't clear to me either (for some reason I thought it was a 5x5 grid of letters like Boggle or something, not a 5x5 grid of words) - but the game appears to be pretty simple once you see it going. There's 25 words on the board face up. Some are yours, some are your opponents, and one is the assassin. One person on each team is the leader and knows which words are which. They prompt their team to pick their color's words in groups (eg. "purple 4", so your team picks eggplant and grape, then guesses rainbow, but it turns out that was the other team's word so they stop). If you pick the assassin word, your team insta-loses. Otherwise, you win by having the most of your cards revealed.

You want to get lots of points. It starts off hard because there's lots of words to look at. It ends off hard because you want to remember the different clues you didn't get (ie. the other team might remember that you had clued purple, so maybe their members are more hesitant to pick a possibly purple-leaning word because it might be yours - or maybe you have a word that seems like a stretch for the current category, but your team is clued in to picking it because it also fits the last one but they didn't pick it then).

I like the idea and I think it'd be an easy game to get people into. Promising at least.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jun 1, 2015

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
I'm glad Puzzlestrike comes with blank chips at least because I'm missing a character chip.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

jmzero posted:

The summary text wasn't clear to me either (for some reason I thought it was a 5x5 grid of letters like Boggle or something, not a 5x5 grid of words) - but the game appears to be pretty simple once you see it going. There's 25 words on the board face up. Some are yours, some are your opponents, and one is the assassin. One person on each team is the leader and knows which words are which. They prompt their team to pick their color's words in groups (eg. "purple 4", so your team picks eggplant and grape, then guesses rainbow, but it turns out that was the other team's word so they stop). If you pick the assassin word, your team insta-loses. Otherwise, you win by having the most of your cards revealed.

You want to get lots of points. It starts off hard because there's lots of words to look at. It ends off hard because you want to remember the different clues you didn't get (ie. the other team might remember that you had clued purple, so maybe their members are more hesitant to pick a possibly purple-leaning word because it might be yours - or maybe you have a word that seems like a stretch for the current category, but your team is clued in to picking it because it also fits the last one but they didn't pick it then).

I like the idea and I think it'd be an easy game to get people into. Promising at least.

Sounds like some potential for teamwork to happen.

We had some teamwork happen in a game of Hanabi not long ago. The player across from me got a hint and she immediately played the card she got hinted on. Which puzzled me for a moment because I was thinking "but that wasn't enough information for her to know it's playable..... UNLESS I'M HOLDING THE BLUE THREE" :aaa: (I realized she had a critical piece of information I didn't, and the only source of information she could have that I didn't have is my cards). That was pretty cool because I got to be all "I'll play my blue three" <slap> and save the team a hint token and some time while gettin' points and making people wonder how the hell I knew what that card was.
:smug:

My other effort at some teamwork flopped though because I knew I was holding a red two, and I knew it was playable, and everyone knew I knew it was playable. But no one else had any reds. Instead of playing, I held on to it because I wanted to play it as a hint to whomever picked up the red three (which I knew was somewhere in the dwindling stack of cards...) What would YOU think if the guy who is hanging onto his red two suddenly decided to play it after you pick up a card? Half-baked plan that seemed smart at the time!

Turns out *I* was holding the next playable red as well so I really just made my team watch me not play perfectly good cards for no good reason :blush:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Yeah, Hanabi is a really great game, the more I play it, the more I enjoy it. But the more I play it with the same group of people, the closer we come to developing outright conventions which make it less enjoyable D:

There's a real sense of satisfaction to be had when everything clicks and you remember all the things and poo poo SOMEONE FORGOT THEY MOVED A CARD AND NOW WE CAN'T GET TO 25!

I think it would make the basis of a great murder-mystery game, somehow. The almost-complete information thing just screams mystery to me.