Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Hmmm a unitless graph of questionable accuracy? I guess you have taken Econ 101 after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Good illustration of one key point: what somone considers a living wage to be and what actually works in the existing economy are completely seperate things.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I'm the natural rights granted by the constitution

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

asdf32 posted:

You didn't thoughfully do anything. You're still confusing the statement "heat melts ice" with a dismissal of other factors.

When you evaluate a complex system you have to identify all the factors. In the economy the relationship between employers and wage is a big one.

The statement is an oversimplification, in both cases.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Your diagram is really pretty, but there are problems.

If increasing the minimum wage reduces the number of poor but hurts some poor, it would still make sense to increase the minwage. Having less poor is better than having a lot of poor who are "not as poor as they could be". We're not looking for the point at which people suffer equally, we're looking for a wage that allows the most people not to suffer.

Your diagrams says "if a living wage is over here, it's too high", this means the diagram is flawed. A living wage is the maximal point. If the living wage/maximal point harms the poor (I'm not sure how, your diagram doesn't explain that) then we have a serious problem, no amount of wage will be enough to live.

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jun 1, 2015

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

obviously that curve should be a delta function centered on 0 minimum wage

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

ElCondemn posted:

Your diagram is really pretty, but there are problems.

If increasing the minimum wage reduces the number of poor but hurts some poor, it would still make sense to increase the minwage. Having less poor is better than having a lot of poor who are "not as poor as they could be". We're not looking for the point at which people suffer equally, we're looking for a wage that allows the most people not to suffer.

I thought you guys didn't like inequality, now you're straight up advocating for it on utilitarian grounds

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

how do u post this poo poo unironically

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

I'm looking at this but it can't possibly be real. Am I having a stroke?

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

down with slavery posted:

It's ok because it is an informal fallacy graph.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS
couldnt even work up the effort to open excel and make a real graph, just a mspaint of "whatiwanttobelieve.png"

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Geriatric Pirate posted:

I thought you guys didn't like inequality, now you're straight up advocating for it on utilitarian grounds

Are you an austrian school believer?

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Way to post a graph boldly rejecting the need for data, Mr. Laffer.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Geriatric Pirate posted:

I'm not the one pleading for the sake of the poor, I just want everyone who works to be able to afford to feed, clothe and house themselves and their family. If we want to discuss the best way to ensure nobody is hungry or homeless, well that's a matter of welfare which I'd be happy to talk about in a thread discussing welfare.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

down with slavery posted:

What's your problem with it specifically?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

asdf32 posted:

Ahahahaha of course you would defend something so mindboggling stupid.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

asdf32 posted:

For starters the diagram doesn't tell us anything, it's just a drawing. Graphs are a way to represent data, there is no data being represented here. We have no idea what the units are or how to calculate them.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

asdf32 posted:

asdf32
May 15, 2010

ElCondemn posted:

For starters the diagram doesn't tell us anything, it's just a drawing. Graphs are a way to represent data, there is no data being represented here.

Which is why it's telling that there is a strong reaction too it.

I'll remind people at this pooint that they got upset when Jefferson earlier claimed they didn't think there was an upper limit to min wage benefits.

This graph is that in visual form.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Are you an austrian school believer?

austrian economics is just as insane as the MMT and marxist stuff you like

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Geriatric Pirate posted:

"Everyone's dead now, so it's equal, that's what you wanted, right?"

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
strangest loss.jpg i've ever seen

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

your half an hour of posting per day ended earlier today when you posted in this thread for 2 hours

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Geriatric Pirate posted:

your half an hour of posting per day ended earlier today when you posted in this thread for 2 hours

why does it make you so mad that people make posts on an internet forum

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Didn't I use the phrase "intelectual child" earlier in this thread? I'm being reminded of that now.

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Popular Thug Drink posted:

why does it make you so mad that people make posts on an internet forum

why does it make you so mad that white women report rapes to the police?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
^^^^^ when did you stop beating your wife?

asdf32 posted:

Didn't I use the phrase "intelectual child" earlier in this thread? I'm being reminded of that now.

Literally just as valid as the chart it's mocking, dude

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Geriatric Pirate posted:

why does it make you so mad that white women report rapes to the police?

i support any individual who reports sex crimes to the police

really though why are you so hung up on people discussing things on a discussion forum, it's like a strange thing to gnash your teeth over

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i dunno, it's been so long since i've been a bad poster that i just can't understand your motivations or thought process anymore

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

really though why are you so hung up on people discussing things on a discussion forum, it's like a strange thing to gnash your teeth over

the mind of a marsh dane is a strange thing indeed

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Effectronica posted:

the mind of a marsh dane is a strange thing indeed

is being a finn so terrible that you actually would prefer to be in section 8 housing in camden

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

coming from teh guy who decided to bring up false rape accusations as an issue that wasnt getting enough attention in the minimum wage thread

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

is being a finn so terrible that you actually would prefer to be in section 8 housing in camden

finland has one of the highest rates of suicide and alcoholism in the developed world, so signs point to yes

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Effectronica posted:

I know it takes you ten minutes to write a sentence, but I spend probably half an hour a day posting, maybe an hour if I'm closely following a thread.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Geriatric Pirate posted:

coming from teh guy who decided to bring up false rape accusations as an issue that wasnt getting enough attention in the minimum wage thread

you just brought it up?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Effectronica posted:

finland has one of the highest rates of suicide and alcoholism in the developed world, so signs point to yes

the cruel and horriffic choice of not knowing if you're scandinavian or russian

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ElCondemn posted:

you just brought it up?

geriatric pirate gets actually mad irl if you post frequently

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

the cruel and horriffic choice of not knowing if you're scandinavian or russian

i know for sure that it was a finn, though not if it was geriatric pirate specifically, who wrote a bunch of posts about how somali refugees terrified him and they were all out for his wallet and anal virginity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

asdf32 posted:

Which is why it's telling that there is a strong reaction too it.

I'll remind people at this pooint that they got upset when Jefferson earlier claimed they didn't think there was an upper limit to min wage benefits.

This graph is that in visual form.

The drawing is just funny, no data is being represented, the curve is completely arbitrary, and each point on the graph is vague and not well defined. I think it's more likely that MSpaint graphs are funny, rather than people being angry that they got schooled.

• Locked thread