Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.

Sulecrist posted:

That marine is from like 2004 and looks like it was stored in ear wax.

Edit: I don't have a dog in this fight. The only unpainted Dreamforge models I've seen good pictures of have been the Valkir and that big walker robot, both of which look fine quality-wise but neither of which get me subjectively hot and bothered.

I love the Valkyr dream forge models and there is objective undeniable proof they are the superior product when placed side by side with a comparable product, such as grey knights, at least in one critical area.

No where on Valkyr does it say Earth, Titan, Demon Sword, Space Marine, Magic Gun, or a dozen other words in English. Words actually sculpted into the model in big cartoon letters. that's pretty objective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Doctor Borris posted:

I love the Valkyr dream forge models and there is objective undeniable proof they are the superior product when placed side by side with a comparable product, such as grey knights, at least in one critical area.

No where on Valkyr does it say Earth, Titan, Demon Sword, Space Marine, Magic Gun, or a dozen other words in English. Words actually sculpted into the model in big cartoon letters. that's pretty objective.

Wait, I'm confused. First you say the Valkyr is objectively, undeniably the superior product, but then you start talking about how the Valkyr aren't as good as the Grey Knights?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
"Hmm, all things being equal, I think I prefer the version that doesn't have 'magic gun' and 'demon sword' written on it." the big dumb moron opined.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Doctor Borris posted:

Titan Terra and aegis aren't English dude

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.
Not to quote the dictionary but according to the Merriam Webster dictionary of the English language those are literally all words in common English. Also according to the Urban Dictionary one is a word for a large gay Grecian Man, and one is a word for consuming copious fluids before a serious fraternity drinking experience.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Ghost Hand posted:

I have provided both of your commentary directly to the individual in charge of the editing/layout team.

Thanks man, much appreciated! Like Safety Factor says, I hope I didn’t come across too mean. It’s not a unique issue with Forge World, but it is something negative we’ve come to expect from them. Some change-log or frequent FAQing would really help increase the value of their service and products.

It legitimately feels like they care about the quality of their products and are largely pushing the hobby in a cool new direction. Hell, if it wasn’t for 30k, I’d have dropped Warhammer a long time ago. That said, they could support us a bit better. I expect that's more an issue from the top down, however.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
OK Hams, there is now a Midlands (in the UK, because someone already got confused about what country it was in) Horus Heresy facebook and gaming group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106268123043433/members/

Krushgroove was interested, anyone else in the Midlands just ask to join.

I'm an admin on the group. We're in the introducing ourselves and chatting about how many hams we have phase, we'll start hobbying and arranging games soon.

I've already seen the first picture of a Reaver Titan that someone has in real life, and someone mentioned 13,000 of Heresy era Blood Angels as being their primary force.

It's like I'm meeting the British Ghost Hand.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.
What is the best way to try out 30k now that more books are out? Is the origional still the one to get, and how many generic options are added with the other books?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
For 30K legions, you want the little red books. For Admech, Book 3, but its not nearly as good a deal. Solar Aux are in Book 4.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Krushgroove, you decided on a day for Warham World?

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.
What books are both little and red? Do you mean the first one? Serious question here.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Doctor Borris posted:

What books are both little and red? Do you mean the first one? Serious question here.

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/The_Horus_Heresy/Horus_Heresy_Books/THE_HORUS_HERESY_LEGION_ASTARTES_GAMERS_COLLECTION.html

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Doctor Borris posted:

Never have I agreed with you more. The new Grey Knights are indeed godawful. The Dreadknight is easily my least favorite GW model.

Edit: those little red books contain all of the generic and Legion-specific rules for everything through HHIII. That means that for a space marine army, it's everything that exists except for a couple of newer vehicles (all of which are available as PDFs), the Ultramarines, and a couple of Word Bearers choices. They're really nice books, too.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 1, 2015

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I think the current Grey Knight infantry models are really good, but the Dreadknight is one of the few GW models where it's so bad I can't even think of a way to salvage it. I think the only other models I've felt that way about were the Razorgor and the old Nagash. I've at least seen Dave Taylor do cool poo poo with Centurions.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

Razorgor
I love just how lovely that model is:

I am kind of curious just how many of these things actually sold considering how awful the model is and the fact you could just make your own out of... just about anything.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Doctor Borris posted:

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

Uroboros posted:

The September meet looks like it might be a go but the date is currently not confirmed. As Ghost Hand might be available as he is over from the States the day might be dictated by his availability. If not it is open to what suits the largest number of people.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Wow, the Chinese are even more useful than I thought when it comes to building a 30k army!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Captain Invictus posted:

Well it's a good thing there's an actual lineup with other companie's plastic miniatures made by some folks!

They also have realistically-proportioned hands and feet, something GW still has yet to do something about.

They're not absolutely encrusted in details, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I especially like that they come with optional tabards rather than that being the only choice.

The pose on the third to the right is terrible. Standing straight up practically leaning back and gripping his pistol locked out. It's just bad.

You got a giant gently caress off big sword and a pistol and your gonna stop and stand up straight to take a pistol shot instead of prepare to swing that nasty beat stick? Is this suppose to be an officer or NCO? Is it the equivalant of an assault marine?

The first guy looks pretty good. Kinda weedy for a marine and kinda over armored for Flak. Good generic german themed stuff. Not like GW hasnt ever done that so meh.

Crab Dad fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jun 1, 2015

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I think Dreamforge minis look objectively better than most GW minis

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I am objectively gay

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Thundercloud posted:

OK Hams, there is now a Midlands (in the UK, because someone already got confused about what country it was in) Horus Heresy facebook and gaming group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106268123043433/members/

Krushgroove was interested, anyone else in the Midlands just ask to join.
I was just approved to join, I'm Frank McKinney. omg my real name on SA, am I going to die?

Uroboros posted:

To get the exclusive stuff? I haven't planned anything yet unfortunately, I was hoping to go to the Forge World open day on the 5th of July but the tickets are already sold out. I'll post something in the thread before I do go, though.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

krushgroove posted:

I'm Frank McKinney. omg my real name on SA, am I going to die?

You also posted a IRL photo of you, at warhammerworld, so yes.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

krushgroove posted:

I was just approved to join, I'm Frank McKinney. omg my real name on SA, am I going to die?

yes

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Renfield posted:

You also posted a IRL photo of you, at warhammerworld, so yes.
Oh.

drat.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Im going to travel up to the midlands and hunt you down like a homosexual terminator

"Are you Frank MacConney" I will say, but not in an Austrian accent

I will be wearing leather though

Moola fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jun 2, 2015

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

I would edit your name out of that - there's a reason SA says to use an ID thats not connected to anything else you use online
(which is why I have this, as Dracula happened to be on TV when I was signing up !)

^^
Moola, do the decent thing and lose the last name ?

Renfield fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 1, 2015

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

krushgroove posted:

To get the exclusive stuff? I haven't planned anything yet unfortunately, I was hoping to go to the Forge World open day on the 5th of July but the tickets are already sold out. I'll post something in the thread before I do go, though.

Yes, Thanks.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Feckin Limeys itt

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

BULBASAUR posted:

Feckin Limeys itt

We invented this loving game !
(also a lot of better games)

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Doctor Borris posted:

What is the best way to try out 30k now that more books are out? Is the origional still the one to get, and how many generic options are added with the other books?

Listen to this episode here and we answer probably all of your questions:

http://theindependentcharacters.com/blog/?p=3633

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy
So earlier in this thread I talked about going to Warhammer World in September. Looks like I am going earlier than that (too?). Not sure if the September trip is still on the books yet...

I will be in Nottingham July 17th (evening), 18th and 19th. I'm going to Belfast the prior week (for work) so I will be bouncing over to Warhammer World for the weekend and down to London for a day of shopping/sightseeing, as my wife will be traveling with me as well. I'm still trying to convince her to bring her Eldar. We will see if she does or not...

That weekend is a Throne of Skulls event, but I am likely just playing 30k with some of my friends over there on Sunday. Saturday I'm probably hanging out and goofing off with friends while we check out the new displays, drink and eat. If any of you are close and want to come say hello... I will be around!

(edit) By the way if anyone here lives in/near Belfast and is looking for work in a NOC... I'm hiring... :P

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Safety Factor posted:

I am kind of curious just how many of these things actually sold considering how awful the model is and the fact you could just make your own out of... just about anything.

Goon opinion of what is and isn't a poo poo model will never cease to amaze me.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Moola posted:

I am objectively gay

:agreed:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Safety Factor posted:

What's wrong with it? Is it really hard to build or something?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It looks like it was sculpted by someone who had never seen anything ever or been to earth. Like it was the product of a vocational rehabilitation program for the blind and retarded. It's as if they though to themselves, what's the worst model we can make and then said " No, we can do worse".

It's a piece of poo poo looking model.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
The paint job isn't doing it any favors, I don't think. Having a moderately dark shade highlighted in an almost pure white makes the entire thing look shiny to my eyes, like the pig is made of vinyl and/or dipped in lube. I bet that just a sane (and probably much easier) flesh tone + wash paintjob would make it look much better.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
It's just a really poorly sculpted miniature. Its even worse when people run more than one of them in a unit . Just convert them from orc boar boyz

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

boom boom boom posted:

What's wrong with it? Is it really hard to build or something?

It looks like Pumbaa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Slimnoid posted:

It looks like Pumbaa.

Yeah, a hosed up Pumba covered in spikes. It's cool.

• Locked thread