Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Zerilan posted:

Furnace was really just a character who should have never appeared again after that opening scene

Hopefully he picks a fight with Allison and is one-shotted into oblivion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I hope the next page is literally just him running into Allison in the sky, going "fuckin really?" and flying off.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Harime Nui posted:

No I mean, if the Flame Dude killed the serial killer and got a tickertape parade, and Allison knows he actually killed a troubled young woman but the public loves him and she has to eat that. It's where I'd take the story but I'm not writing it.

Ok so he hasn't broken any law, its just your fan fiction

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

Fried Chicken posted:

Ok so he hasn't broken any law, its just your fan fiction

He killed some immigrants.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Also, he kinda threatened violence against anyone who dared accuse someone of rape.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

JuniperCake posted:

he was panicking due to not knowing how to deal with Allison having positive feelings towards him.
Had those since chapter one, http://strongfemaleprotagonist.com/issue-1/page-22/

Except now he's suddenly gone full retard.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Jackard posted:

Had those since chapter one, http://strongfemaleprotagonist.com/issue-1/page-22/

Except now he's suddenly gone full retard.

Maybe he felt cornered since she knew him well enough to call him on his BS at that point. It's hard to say. Though this most recent time isn't the only one where he clearly showed discomfort due to Allison's feelings.

http://strongfemaleprotagonist.com/issue-3/page-48-2/

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

JuniperCake posted:

Maybe he felt cornered since she knew him well enough to call him on his BS at that point. It's hard to say. Though this most recent time isn't the only one where he clearly showed discomfort due to Allison's feelings.

Except last time he was able to handle the situation maturely, without defaulting to attempting suicide by cape.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Except last time it didn't work. She still harbored feelings for him, and being a mind-reader he could tell. So, maybe he started off trying to get her to give up her latest "punch-the-symptoms" mission, then when she started going all "You're still a good person, Patrick," he decided to try to actually nip this in the bud once and for all.

I don't think it went down quite the way he was expecting (mind reading isn't precognition), but at the same time he probably felt drastic measures were needed here.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Man, that seems like such a bizarre way to accuse someone of being a murderer. Like they'd just be fine with a summary execution if it was clearly evident that their papers weren't in order.

Although really, what do you expect. If this dude with flame powers is employed as a law enforcement agent, there's not that many ways for him to use his powers on people and not kill them. It's kind of weird that there haven't been that many people in this comic using superpowers for practical purposes as opposed to just plain ol' violence.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

Man, that seems like such a bizarre way to accuse someone of being a murderer. Like they'd just be fine with a summary execution if it was clearly evident that their papers weren't in order.

Although really, what do you expect. If this dude with flame powers is employed as a law enforcement agent, there's not that many ways for him to use his powers on people and not kill them. It's kind of weird that there haven't been that many people in this comic using superpowers for practical purposes as opposed to just plain ol' violence.

Allison kind of implies that Furnace's presence at that protest was something the police didn't want. She could have just meant that his presence was pouring gas on the situation (I'm not sorry) but yeah, shooting fire from your hand is a poor way to subdue people.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

It occurs to me that this may be leading up to Alison finding Patrick dead because the US government is tapping her phone and this series of exchanges probably gave them reason to sit up and figure out who it is she just got a protected individual's address from before having her GPS signal jump several thousand feet into the air.

Irukandji Syndrome
Dec 26, 2008

mr. stefan posted:

It occurs to me that this may be leading up to Alison finding Patrick dead because the US government is tapping her phone and this series of exchanges probably gave them reason to sit up and figure out who it is she just got a protected individual's address from before having her GPS signal jump several thousand feet into the air.

That would be both interesting and make some sense, which means it isn't going to happen.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Well even in Issue 1 when Allison fought Cleaver she straight up told him their powers were getting stronger, so I'm wondering what that meant for Patrick?

Like how do read minds more, or whatever.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Well even in Issue 1 when Allison fought Cleaver she straight up told him their powers were getting stronger, so I'm wondering what that meant for Patrick?

His brain stopped working and he started doing monologues. This also manifested in every other character. Not every super power is useful!

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Hollismason posted:

Did it apply to everyone or just her and Cleaver? It was way too long ago and I don't remember.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Elysiume posted:

Did it apply to everyone or just her and Cleaver? It was way too long ago and I don't remember.

Originally it was just Allison saying that Cleaver wasn't the only one who's powers were getting stronger. Doesn't mean that others are unaffected, in fact it seems likely there are probably a lot of people out there who are getting stronger.

We know Moonshadow now has the power to become intangible in addition to just being invisible based on her murdering the armed mercenaries. She wasn't seen as a great fighter while with the guardians but that's clearly changed now, so that might be part of it.

I'm guessing if Patrick's powers got strong enough he could get some kind of telepathy, clairvoyance or ability to directly influence people's thoughts or something like that. Who knows really.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

He can download and recompile 5 people's research into one coherent thing. I'd say he got stronger than just mind reading.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

SFP: Throwing Fair-Trade, Organic Coffee Mugs at The Man

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's kind of weird that there haven't been that many people in this comic using superpowers for practical purposes as opposed to just plain ol' violence.

I think the teleporter she met during the organ harvesting arc said the US was the only country to go all superhero-y. He said where he was from, you're just whatever you want to be.

Which to my mind is such a more interesting concept to explore. People not defined by their powers, but having them simply as another thing they can do. Imagine Seinfeld where Kramer can coincidentally shoot laser beams from his eyes.

Show me how people react to seeing strange people in ordinary situations instead of only seeing strange people in strange situations reacting to other strange people.

The promise of this is what got me into this comic at the start because it looked like just that, with Allison setting out to find a better way. But every person Allison meets is still defined by their superpowers and everything orbits around them as much is it tries to deny it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
From a time scale of things it actually hasn't been that long since the Cleaver fight at all. Like maybe 6 months? I'm not sure, the comic is what in the 4th issue. Honestly, I'm really surprised it hasn't been picked up yet by like someone, similar to what happened to Axe Cop it has a lot of fans. Maybe they just have difficult with keeping up with a month to month art and story schedule.

Also, Patrick's powers have probably increased exponentially with time, if he's compiling peoples memories and abilities and over writing them onto himself, he's pretty much heading for "beyond intelligence" territory that the Doctor was talking about with regards to the Singularity.

Patrick's just loving weird.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Jackard posted:

SFP: Throwing Fair-Trade, Organic Coffee Mugs at The Man
That joke wasn't funny when I made it like three pages ago. :v:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Aw man I even did a thread search. Curse you SA search

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Jackard posted:

Aw man I even did a thread search. Curse you SA search

To be fair it was something about loony toons coffee mugs last time.

Anyone else have no idea what the gently caress is going on or why this is happening? I mean Furnace is supposed to be a prick, but rescuing people from human traffickers seems like about the last thing he would do if what people have said about him (and what he has said himself) is true.

And if that is straight up what's happening, does that mean that Furnace is another member of the, "doing more to change the world with his powers than Allison" club? Ew. Like will this chapter be about how the entitled college student rants at people trying to do the right thing as best they can because her messiah complex will accept nothing short of perfection?

akulanization fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jun 2, 2015

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Who has she ranted at? She vented at Patrick, the unrepentant mass murder who had just finished monologuing about how human life is meaningless. Other than that, she's been listening or having conversations with people.

It's come up before, but I still don't get this criticism of Alison for trying to listen to other viewpoints and get a handle of how she wants to go about saving the world. She spent her adolescence as a government aimed weapon. She's idealistic, but she's taking some time to temper that with education and other people's viewpoints before she jumps into action. This seems to me incredibly smart. Whatever Alison ends up doing, it's going to have huge repercussions. Putting off action forever would be silly, but taking some time to think through what she wants to do is wise.

As for Furnace, he is a prick. But there are plenty of racist, violent pricks who do heroic stuff.

Irukandji Syndrome
Dec 26, 2008
I'm guessing it's basically going to turn out that Iron Man Movie-style oo-rah interventions of warzones with superpowers do not really solve that much in real life (so to speak, because this is a comic) or get at the heart of the problem, so much as, you know, just kill some people and inflame the situation even worse, which in turn gets more innocent people killed as tensions rise and break than if you'd done nothing at all, as well as degrading political relations with the US because Furnace hails from there.

Also possibly starting some pretty bad wildfires :v:

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
What's with the close shot of his face going moonshadow-y

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Molybdenum posted:

Probably just light refraction since he's turning up the heat.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Molybdenum posted:

He's been Moonshadow in disguise all along.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Perhaps he's gonna run into Moonshadow also rescuing these women.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Perhaps he's gonna run into Moonshadow also rescuing these women.

I'd ask how she'd know to find him in what is presumably Mexico but if the authors want to kill Furnace I'm sure they'll find a way. It's be ironic if Moonshadow openly confronts Furnace but because he's surrounded by these hostages he can't burn her because he'd wind up hurting them, so he get's knifed for his troubles.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I expect Furnace to save those women without any major trouble, and then go on TV to troll the Slasher (and Allison) by saying that he has saved more women from rape then either of them.
It is a bit smarter then how he was previously portrayed, but whatever.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Molybdenum posted:

Looks like it's to show that he's becoming living fire to avoid being killed by bullets instead of just shooting fire around

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Dude's been doing this for years, gotta assume he's at least competent.

Even if they somehow bullshitted Moonshadow into this situation, how could she possibly kill him in the middle of storming the enemy compound?

Jackard fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 2, 2015

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Furnace knows one of those women made a rape accusation publicly.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I suspect that the twist will be as follows: the person killing dudes (who also incited Razor), is not actually moonshadow, but is a shapeshifter or something. We're going to find out that Moonshadow couldn't have done this because she was injured or something, probably due to misogyny or rape because that is now a Theme. There will be a speech.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Turns out it was the bat guy all along, he was just wearing a mask.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Discendo Vox posted:

I suspect that the twist will be as follows: the person killing dudes (who also incited Razor), is not actually moonshadow, but is a shapeshifter or something. We're going to find out that Moonshadow couldn't have done this because she was injured or something, probably due to misogyny or rape because that is now a Theme. There will be a speech.

Haha, just one speech? Not buying it.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Well Furnace just roasted a bunch of people in there. Would it make him a valid target for Moonshadow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
How do you sneak up on someone and only shoot them in the shin?

• Locked thread