Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
Try holding the master cylinder completely vertical over night, with the lever pointing up. As far as I know, KTM only released manuals on CD from around 2006 to 2010.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kony Kid
Mar 16, 2012

predictive posted:

Thanks for the info! I figured since this bike is new to me it made sense to replace all of the fluids (coolant, oil, brake fluid, clutch fluid, gear oil), For some reason this year and model seem to be not all that popular and I can't find a service manual for it, do you think the procedures be close to that of the 250 EXC (I found a manual for the 2004 250 EXC)?

for the chassis they are identical. The engines should be close enough to do common maintenance. BTW: Oil, clutch fluid and gear oil are all the same on a dirt bike.

predictive
Jan 11, 2006

For awesome, press 1.
Changed fluid / pressure bled hydraulic clutch and rear brake in twenty minutes. Four hours later and the front brake still doesn't work. Tried pressure bleeding, vacuum bleeding, made sure the pistons were compressed in the caliper, removed the caliper and hung it above the master cylinder and THEN vacuum bled again. Front brake lever still goes to the handlebar. It worked okayish before I flushed the fluid (tho the fluid was black and nasty) so I don't think it's a bad master cylinder, but rather air I've gotten in there somehow. I wonder if I should just learn to ride without a front brake, 70s style.

Edit: Ten solid minutes of pumping and the lever finally pressurized, hallelujah! Now oil and coolant and we are in business.

predictive fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jun 2, 2015

predictive
Jan 11, 2006

For awesome, press 1.
Got the coolant flushed and gear oil changed. The gear oil was pretty milky (though weirdly I didn't lose any coolant on the previous two hour ride), so I'll probably ride it a few hours, change it again, and if it's still milky swap the water pump seal.

Question: The hard to start/refusal to idle issue was corrected by resetting the idle screw adjustment per the manual, but how do you gauge what the correct idle is without a tach? I don't really know what 1400rpm should sound like on a two stroke.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
It sounds like it isnt about to die. 2 strokes are more art than science.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!

predictive posted:

I'm pretty excited about buying this:

2004 KTM 200EXC (from the ad). I paid $1600. It kickstarted fairly easily, but wouldn't idle until it ran for 3-4 minutes (not sure if that's normal for a two stroke, or if I need to clean the carb). From what I can tell it needs a brake fluid flush and bleed, and front brake pads. It has a Protaper bar and FMF full exhaust, whatever that means.

He threw in a helmet, goggles, jersey, pants, a stand, two spark plugs, an extra kickstarter arm and two bottles of oil, so I feel like it was a pretty decent deal. Now I need to go buy some boots tomorrow and ride it.

That was my starter bike as well. Yer in for a ride lmao. 200's are a blast, one thing is that it will hinder your learning curve a bit, 4 stokes are just easier to ride. But with a 2 strokes you'll really have to learn how to ride vs. tottering around on a 4t being lazy. So that's good. Are you planning on doing Moto-X or trails? If trails I would highly recommend getting bark busters. Save those digits yo. Also for about 35 bucks you can pick up an hour meter that will give you hours and has a button so you can see what RPM it's running. My front brake always seemed to go soft as well, common issue with those bikes. What ratio mix are you using? Also did the owner say when the top end had been done last? The ad has been deleted so didn't get any info from it if it was posted in there. Also one cool thing about buying used bikes is normally you get a ton of extra parts for them when you buy them. The guy I sold my bike to got a ton of stuff. Same as my 2012 came with a ton of extra parts as well. FMF full exhaust will be nice. Is it the FMF fatty pipe? Protaper bars are ok, I prefer renthal, actually the stock bars so far have been my preferred bend from what I've ridden.

Have fun, enjoy, and be ready for the bug eating grin a 2 stroke puts on everyones face. :cheers:

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yh6NzuEttto

Silver fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jun 4, 2015

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

New Yamaha 2stroke offroader!

http://www.dirtrider.com/features/first-look-2016-yamaha-motocross-off-road-models/

predictive
Jan 11, 2006

For awesome, press 1.

Silver posted:

If trails I would highly recommend getting bark busters. Save those digits yo. Also for about 35 bucks you can pick up an hour meter that will give you hours and has a button so you can see what RPM it's running.

What ratio mix are you using? Also did the owner say when the top end had been done last?

FMF full exhaust will be nice. Is it the FMF fatty pipe?

I'll be doing trail riding; so I plan to get some handguards ordered this week. I'm using up the rest of the PO's premix gas for now, but I think he said he used a 40:1 ratio. I actually asked him about maintenance, and he said that he hasn't done a top end on this bike in the four years he's owned it, and he's not sure that anyone ever has. I was wondering if I should order a piston, rings and gaskets and replace them when I rebuild the water pump and change the clutch slave cylinder seal. Thanks for the tip on the hour meter; I might order one this week.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Doing a top end is a 6-pack job. I do one every hundred hours or once a year, its better to do one at home and know its done. If it shits out 25 miles up a 50 mile trail you will be sad.

predictive
Jan 11, 2006

For awesome, press 1.

bird cooch posted:

Doing a top end is a 6-pack job. I do one every hundred hours or once a year, its better to do one at home and know its done. If it shits out 25 miles up a 50 mile trail you will be sad.

I will take this as good advice. I went for a ride today; bike started on the second kick, then I stopped the engine right after to talk with a buddy, and twenty minutes of kicking later still wouldn't start it. It took a bump start in second to get it to start again, but after thirty minutes of riding it would start right up. I also added one of those hour meter/tachometers and the bike appears to be idling WAY high, but dropping the idle with the screw causes it to die. Hopefully a top end helps this.

I want to order the parts tonight, but is it possible to tell what piston I should order without pulling the existing piston and using a bore measuring tool? I found this kit which looks good, but it has choices for a 64mm or 76mm piston (I assume the larger piston is for bored out engines), and other sites that sell the piston alone seem to have an A or B option.

Also I bought some Acerbis Rally Pro X handguards, and no way are those going on this bike without welding or some poo poo; the protaper bar interior is too short to allow the expanding bolts to seat. So maybe it just won't get handguards.

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008

More 2 strokes :getin: I really want that anniversary edition YZ450F, reminds me of the '75 YZ125 my buddy and I co-owned back when we were kids.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
If you are going to be doing a top end it is really better to pull the cylinder off before pulling the trigger on parts that may or may not be returnable. If the PO said that he did a top end X# of hours ago, what was done to it, just new standard size piston and rings and a hone to the cylinder? If that is the case, there is a good number of hours on the parts and a good excuse to take a good look at everything. At the very least, you will know the condition of your top end, bottom end and have a chance to clean up the exhaust valve for no more than the cost of gaskets. Pull the pipe from the cylinder and take a look at your piston, and the intake side of the cylinder and see what kind of shape it is in.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
I tossed a gopro on yesterday after I made some adjustments to my suspension. Nothing crazy, I just got home from work and took the bike out for a little spin in jeans and a button down on the trails on my property..
Skip the first min unless you want to watch me key up pink floyd on my phone.

https://youtu.be/9_SLEEccBqo?t=1m3s

Does anyone know the magic trick that makes my videos not upload like poo poo?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Went to south cow mountain this weekend with a coworker

I crashed that fat fucker so goddamn hard. spun my leg from the knee down 180*.

predictive
Jan 11, 2006

For awesome, press 1.

cursedshitbox posted:

I crashed that fat fucker so goddamn hard. spun my leg from the knee down 180*.

I hope you mean like a pirouette and not stationary, and that your leg is ok.

I pulled everything apart on the 200EXC. I guess it's had a top end at some point, as it had a Vertex piston in it. I am pretty certain the water pump seal is blown as the bike is losing coolant into the gearbox. The connecting rod has no up and down play and moves smoothly throughout its rotation, but it seems to have some rust on it:

There was a lot of carbon on the piston:

There isn't a lot of scoring on the cylinder, and it feels pretty smooth (the contrast of the pic makes it look much worse than it is):

This was supposed to be a cheap bike and it's probably not worth dropping $500 for a bottom end kit. I'm hoping I can ignore the surface rust, rebuild the waterpump, and do a top end and ride it.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'd run it. :v:

Is there any coolant passage O rings or other associated fuckery between the case halves?

It was stationary. I have ultra lovely sloppy joints that saved my rear end. Had to get my manager to lift the fucker off me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OY8RvOb3ED4
and a video of jumping off a little ledge.

predictive
Jan 11, 2006

For awesome, press 1.

cursedshitbox posted:

Is there any coolant passage O rings or other associated fuckery between the case halves?

Not that I can tell, just looks like the normal base gasket which was intact when I pulled the cylinder, so I'm betting the water pump o ring is the source.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
It will be one or two seals and one bearing. Pull the right case cover, and the water pump shaft before ordering parts. Check to see how grooved the area is where the seal lips sit.

predictive
Jan 11, 2006

For awesome, press 1.

DefaultPeanut posted:

It will be one or two seals and one bearing. Pull the right case cover, and the water pump shaft before ordering parts. Check to see how grooved the area is where the seal lips sit.

You mean the shaft seal behind the inner o ring here?:

That o ring is in there tight, I'm pretty sure I'll nick/destroy it to get it out. Sadly this looks nothing like any PDF manual/youtube video I can find, so there will be some winging I think.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
I beleive that is KTM's pump setup where the metal that holds the seal, bearing and shaft can be removed without pulling the whole case cover. Disregard my previous post, I am full of dumb. You should be able to pull out the whole pump assembly at once and buy a rebuild kit for it. IIRC, if you remove the large o-ring, the pump should pull out without much hassle.

predictive
Jan 11, 2006

For awesome, press 1.

DefaultPeanut posted:

I beleive that is KTM's pump setup where the metal that holds the seal, bearing and shaft can be removed without pulling the whole case cover. Disregard my previous post, I am full of dumb. You should be able to pull out the whole pump assembly at once and buy a rebuild kit for it. IIRC, if you remove the large o-ring, the pump should pull out without much hassle.

I'll try that in the morning! None of the other coolant interfaces have bad seals, so it's got to be in here somewhere.

Evil the Cat
Oct 18, 2001

make that shit sound like rock music!
My friend's old CanAm is finally running so we spent the weekend riding.

His 13 year old son riding the KLX140L. His first time on a bike and he loved it. These kids have been around machinery since birth and have no fear.

Dude in black shirt is a local small engine wizard. If not him that CanAm would be in a junkyard. Check out the wack NOS stickers all over the bike...

Big guy was a bit nervous to ride at first. That CanAm is loud, coughs up oil, its clutch lever feels like a 100lbs captain of crush, and the left side kickstart kicks back like every other time. Plus my man finally realized he needs to cut down on the Newport 100s. My dum azz on the right, ayyyy.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

cursedshitbox posted:

I'd run it. :v:

It was stationary. I have ultra lovely sloppy joints that saved my rear end. Had to get my manager to lift the fucker off me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OY8RvOb3ED4
and a video of jumping off a little ledge.

You really should consider getting a bike that is suited for what you're trying to do there. You're lucky you didn't faceplant on that little drop.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Anna finishing the last few corners of the King Phillip Enduro. That was a tough one.

Also interesting, she writes advice to herself on the back of her bark busters:

shacked up with Brenda fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 8, 2015

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

VTNewb posted:

Anna finishing the last few corners of the King Phillip Enduro. That was a tough one.

Also interesting, she writes advice to herself on the back of her bark busters:

Good advice though!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

n8r posted:

You really should consider getting a bike that is suited for what you're trying to do there. You're lucky you didn't faceplant on that little drop.

With shopspace in hand bet your rear end I'm working on that right now. I way overworked that pig last weekend and I'm paying for it.

E: Gonna go look at a LC4 640 that needs front end poo poo, and a drz400 with a tossed rod.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jun 9, 2015

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!
Midwest Mountain Engineering levers are dope, reduced clutch pull force

recent race, only a little muddy!

also that last harescramble I was an idiot. I tried to double a moto jump, suspension bottomed out and then my ankles, :(

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Awful picture, but Anna finally worked up the guts to jump the big tabletop in Wednesday Night Moto. It's pretty awesome to see her ripping around.

Evil the Cat
Oct 18, 2001

make that shit sound like rock music!

Vork!Vork!Vork! posted:

recent race, only a little muddy!

wow looks like you could plant a small orchard on it

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Dorking around this past Sunday, still learning the clutch as you can tell. Clearing trails. Oh and cussing a lot as always. Whoo!

https://youtu.be/DO6I01wzk_4

Watsabi
Jul 4, 2012
I'm finally recovered from last weekend. Spent the 5th-7th in hood river at the Black Dog Dualsport Rally. A weekend of riding with good friends. This was my first large scale rally with routes planned ahead of time.

drat it was hot though. 95*+ the whole weekend. First day of riding I did the B/C level route which was 140 miles of mixed paved/gravel roads which was a 7 hour ride. It took a little white to get used to using the GPS and the roll chart for directions. Our group got pulled over seriously 2 miles into the ride for getting a little too spirited on the road. Speed limit was only 40mph but we didn't realize. One guys wife didn't have her insurance or registration then turns out her license had expired the week before on her birthday :a2m:! Cop was cool and let us off with warnings and to slow it down. Everything else that day was amazing vistas and seriously good riding in the Columbia River Gorge

Day 2 I was convinced to up the ante and do the A course (plated dirt bikes level). This was my 2nd time riding trails and I got into a few harry situations which I needed some help getting out of. After 4 hours and 40 miles of intermediate trails with a couple AA sections I was pooped out and blasted back to camp to pack up and head home. Plus I my 3 liters of water was gone.

Here's a video of the obstacle course. Not mine but I'm in there a few places on the side lines watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWtvEjbGLPw

Can't wait for next years event.

predictive
Jan 11, 2006

For awesome, press 1.
Feeling pretty happy with progress on the '04 KTM 200. I finished the top end and the kickstart lever no longer bottoms out from the weight of my foot. Rebuilt the water pump and the oil is now coolant-free. Added a new pilot jet and did some carb tuning, and the bike will not only idle, but start on the first kick hot, cold or lukewarm.

I probably (definitely) overpaid for this bike at $1600, but even $190 in parts later I'm still pretty happy to have a sweet running KTM two stroke. I celebrated by picking up a badass racing mug:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Silver posted:

Dorking around this past Sunday, still learning the clutch as you can tell. Clearing trails. Oh and cussing a lot as always. Whoo!

https://youtu.be/DO6I01wzk_4

That riding gear is awesome. What is it?

Watsabi
Jul 4, 2012

Coydog posted:

That riding gear is awesome. What is it?

I am pretty sure it is Fly Kinetic gear from 2012.... I've been working with dirtbike gear way too long.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

Thats like one rocker for a 690 - they are pretty much consumables for those bikes. I'd say you have a pretty wicked bike for a good deal! Up here that bike would still sell for around $3500 in good nick. Come join the 2 stroke thread and back in the loving premix smell.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!

Watsabi posted:

I am pretty sure it is Fly Kinetic gear from 2012.... I've been working with dirtbike gear way too long.

Ding, winner. :) 50 percent off rack!

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Graham Jarvis, Alfredo Gomez, Johnny Walker, Andreas Lettenbichler, Wade Young and Mario Roman all became stuck, and decided to work together to get to the end of Erzberg. Recommended watching - the whole thing is on redbull tv.

predictive
Jan 11, 2006

For awesome, press 1.

VTNewb posted:

Graham Jarvis, Alfredo Gomez, Johnny Walker, Andreas Lettenbichler, Wade Young and Mario Roman all became stuck, and decided to work together to get to the end of Erzberg. Recommended watching - the whole thing is on redbull tv.

Yeah, after watching some of the best riders in the world unable to make it through that section, I wondered if the course designers will think "Hey, maybe we should tone this poo poo down next year." I'm all for challenge, but I wanted to watch enduro *riding* in addition to enduro dirt-bike-pulling.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

predictive posted:

Yeah, after watching some of the best riders in the world unable to make it through that section, I wondered if the course designers will think "Hey, maybe we should tone this poo poo down next year." I'm all for challenge, but I wanted to watch enduro *riding* in addition to enduro dirt-bike-pulling.

Best post race interview by Johnny Walker - "that was kind of stupid"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Hi, dirt bike bros. Any of you live in Colorado's Front Range? What do you think about a KLR/DR650 class bike versus a DRZ class bike in the mountains? What's going to be accessible with a DRZ and not a KLR? This would probably be for mild trails, at least to start, but maybe I should get something that'd grow with my ability? I'd be riding this in from Denver, no trailer.

Holy poo poo, that's a lot of questions.