Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

hyperhazard posted:

It is. Which is why they could have waited a couple of hours and then have gotten legally married in the state of NY, rather than sort-of married in Canada.

Then that really makes that STDH weird as all hell. If they were Canadian then they could've gotten married in Canada and if they were out-of-townies, they could have done it in New York.

I need to know what his gamerscore was. If it was under 100k, that girl really must have settled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Postal Parcel posted:

Then that really makes that STDH weird as all hell. If they were Canadian then they could've gotten married in Canada and if they were out-of-townies, they could have done it in New York.

I need to know what his gamerscore was. If it was under 100k, that girl really must have settled.

Check your gamer privilege and stop scoreshaming.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

walrusman posted:

I hope not. I hope it has ruined her life.

Thinking about it more I also love how the writer thinks people think she's stupid because she got upset that a kid won, as if her flying into a crying rage over another adult winning instead would have made her look any better in the scenario

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

hyperhazard posted:

It is. Which is why they could have waited a couple of hours and then have gotten legally married in the state of NY, rather than sort-of married in Canada.

Also airspace doesn't matter, on a Virgin flight they're on British soil (where gay marriage is also legal) until the wheels touch the ground.

And even if that weren't the case any flight from the UK to the States is over Canadian airspace for a fair chunk of the flight, no need for the captain to waste thousands of pounds of fuel.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

sweeperbravo posted:

Do you think the writer has had the blessing of even a day going by in all these years without being reminded of this tragedy

tw: boxes being opened, new books, Harry Potter

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

sweeperbravo posted:

Thinking about it more I also love how the writer thinks people think she's stupid because she got upset that a kid won, as if her flying into a crying rage over another adult winning instead would have made her look any better in the scenario

Oh no. I always thought the writer was male. :ohdear:

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Khazar-khum posted:

Oh no. I always thought the writer was male. :ohdear:

Could be, I didn't go back and check. Something about it read "this is a woman writing it" to me but now I could easily see it also having been a neckbeard dude.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

What a scrub, he had an XBox. Would have been so much easier if he had Rez on the PS2. :smug:

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

sweeperbravo posted:

Could be, I didn't go back and check. Something about it read "this is a woman writing it" to me but now I could easily see it also having been a neckbeard dude.

The term "breeder" at least to me seems to imply peerage. Can't really be peer to a mother you irrationally hate as a neckbearded dude.

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

StealthArcher posted:

The term "breeder" at least to me seems to imply peerage. Can't really be peer to a mother you irrationally hate as a neckbearded dude.

I have heard both men and women unironically use the term "breeder(s)" and apply it to both men and women (couples).

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

I always assumed it was a woman; something about the writing style. But I could be wrong.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Would you believe that writer was Albert Einstein.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Also airspace doesn't matter, on a Virgin flight they're on British soil (where gay marriage is also legal) until the wheels touch the ground.

This isn't true actually. Virgin America is an American company with the Virgin name. Richard Branson can't legally own it since he isn't a US citizen.

I only know this because I used to work in their call center.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011
e: Never mind, no idea where I got the London thing from.

SybilVimes has a new favorite as of 16:30 on Jun 1, 2015

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

walrusman posted:

I always assumed it was a woman; something about the writing style. But I could be wrong.

I remember that post from LiveJournal from years ago. Pretty sure a woman wrote it, too, but honestly, it's equally ridiculous behavior whatever the gender.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

moerketid posted:

So whether this did or didn't happen, I just need to grump, who the hell takes a baby to a movie anyway? I don't know anyone who was taken to movies as a baby because hey there's really zero appeal for an infant in being held still for 2.5 hours in a dark room full of VERY VERY LOUD SOUNDS and little idea what the gently caress is going on. Just wait till they are a little older and can understand what's going on and aren't 90% guaranteed to annoy other filmgoers. Parents that go "AM I NOT SUPPOSED TO TAKE THEM ANYWHERE" are just irritating. Take your baby somewhere stimulating and age-appropriate that they might actually enjoy, for chrissake.

Parents want to go see movies and are too busy/cheap to get a babysitter. Everything else is just justification.

Toddlers get nothing out of a theater. If you really think they wanna see a Disney movie, buy it on DVD. They're too young to know if a movie is new or old anyways, who cares.

I can't even stand grown adults making noise during a movie, much less babies. Why even bring a baby? That's just a dick move on the part of the parents.

Its too bad it wasn't Mad Max though.

I remember when I saw Spirited Away in theaters, a bunch of parents took their young children because its a cartoon so obviously its for little kids. As soon as the scene happened where the girls' parents get turned into pigs, like half the audience erupted in loud crying and had to be taken out of the theater. What the hell people.

I don't even go to normal cinemas anymore because I can't handle that stuff. I'm not paying $20 to listen to a crying baby. I see movies at the Alamo Drafthouse or I see them at home on my big screen. And even the Drafthouse is going to hell in a handbasket lately, people talk all the time now and the servers do nothing. Its gone corporate. Sucks.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Extra bonus, which I know because I make extensive use of it, AMC is partnered with the Autism Society of America, for the Sensory Friendly Films program, where kids are allowed to make noise, the sounds aren't turned up as high, and the lights aren't turned down as low (and from a quick glance at the site, that AMC does participate). So even if it did happen, they would have specifically put themselves in a situation where their kid's vocalizations would be a problem. If the film is Tomorrowland like I assume, it played yesterday for the program (they generally show films through it once or twice a month).

That's really cool though. But it also sounds like that's for kids older than freaking babies.

StealthArcher posted:

I think I've seen the term "breeder" used as a straight insult by gay people in like TV shows or something, but definitely not IRL because its really stupid.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 18:59 on Jun 1, 2015

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

I think I've seen the term "breeder" used as a straight insult by gay people in like TV shows or something, but definitely not IRL because its really stupid.

Used to work for a gay media company owned and staffed almost entirely by gay people, and heard 'breeder' used unironically as an insult daily :suicide101:

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

I remember when I saw Spirited Away in theaters, a bunch of parents took their young children because its a cartoon so obviously its for little kids. As soon as the scene happened where the girls' parents get turned into pigs, like half the audience erupted in loud crying and had to be taken out of the theater. What the hell people.

Haha wow, this exact thing happened when I saw Spirited Away in the cinema, must be 2003? Except no kids crying, just affronted parents marching their kids out of the theatre immediately at that scene and over half the audience suddenly gone.

50s girl groupon
Jul 17, 2010

I woke up like this

SybilVimes posted:

Used to work for a gay media company owned and staffed almost entirely by gay people, and heard 'breeder' used unironically as an insult daily :suicide101:

Pretty much all my fellow lgbt friends used it, but ironically. As in, someone would bring up something that really only appealed or applied to heterosexual people and there would be a collective "ugh BREEDERS", followed by stupid giggling.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7aFA0UjaPs

This poo poo definitely didn't happen

Shia Lebeouf says he was raped during his silent performance art piece. A woman whipped his legs, stripped him down, and raped him. He didn't stop her because.... art? :raise:

Also her jealous angry boyfriend waited outside along with hundreds of people.

Oh but in a tweet later the producer clarified that they totally stepped in an stopped it from happening. Even though Shia said she just walked out at the end? Whoops.

moerketid posted:

Haha wow, this exact thing happened when I saw Spirited Away in the cinema, must be 2003? Except no kids crying, just affronted parents marching their kids out of the theatre immediately at that scene and over half the audience suddenly gone.

I have to imagine the same parents took their young kids to see Roger Rabbit and Cool World. :doh:

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 20:22 on Jun 1, 2015

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

moerketid posted:

I saw Black Swan at a matinee showing where the theater was packed with elderly folk that clearly thought they were just going to see a nice movie about ballet.

One lesbian sex scene later my boyfriend and I were the only ones in the theater.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

SybilVimes posted:

You need us, you fools!

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Zaphod42 posted:

I have to imagine the same parents took their young kids to see Roger Rabbit and Cool World. :doh:
Roger Rabbit isn't bad.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

The Breeders had a couple of good songs. :colbert:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Leon Einstein posted:

Roger Rabbit isn't bad.

Some of the humor was a little adult, but I guess it probably went over people's heads.

Wasn't there nudity in that one somewhere? I'm probably mixing a few films together in my head.

Cool World definitely wasn't for kids, that was a loving weird movie. I bet somebody rented it for their kids without thinking.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Zaphod42 posted:

Some of the humor was a little adult, but I guess it probably went over people's heads.

Wasn't there nudity in that one somewhere? I'm probably mixing a few films together in my head.

Cool World definitely wasn't for kids, that was a loving weird movie. I bet somebody rented it for their kids without thinking.

The nudity was only discovered after some weirdo watched Jessica Rabbit fall down frame by frame on the DVD. She's not wearing panties.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Leon Einstein posted:

The nudity was only discovered after some weirdo watched Jessica Rabbit fall down frame by frame on the DVD. She's not wearing panties.

Nah I wasn't talking about Jessica Rabbit. I was mixing it up with Howard the Duck I think.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Zaphod42 posted:

Nah I wasn't talking about Jessica Rabbit. I was mixing it up with Howard the Duck I think.

Ah yes, the classic George Lucas film in which an attractive woman has sex with animatronic duck.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
P.S. Fritz the Cat is not a children's animated movie.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
Roger Rabbit is pretty horrifying in parts. The cartoon shoe being dissolved, and the ever famous "When I killed your brother, I talked just... like... THIIIIIIIIS!"

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Roro posted:

Roger Rabbit is pretty horrifying in parts. The cartoon shoe being dissolved, and the ever famous "When I killed your brother, I talked just... like... THIIIIIIIIS!"

It was the henchmen literally laughing themselves to death that got me as a kid. I think the idea of someone just keeling over and dying out of nowhere freaked me out.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

moerketid posted:

So whether this did or didn't happen, I just need to grump, who the hell takes a baby to a movie anyway? I don't know anyone who was taken to movies as a baby because hey there's really zero appeal for an infant in being held still for 2.5 hours in a dark room full of VERY VERY LOUD SOUNDS and little idea what the gently caress is going on. Just wait till they are a little older and can understand what's going on and aren't 90% guaranteed to annoy other filmgoers. Parents that go "AM I NOT SUPPOSED TO TAKE THEM ANYWHERE" are just irritating. Take your baby somewhere stimulating and age-appropriate that they might actually enjoy, for chrissake.

You know that "Mums and Bubs" sessions are a legit thing at movie theaters, they're usually on in the morning time on a weekday.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Not one mention of Watership Down? Saw that poo poo when I was six. Also who remembers that discussion we had (in I think the Irrationally Irritating thread) about being emotionally scarred after watching that one scene in Orca? It's about a killer whale, you know, like Free Willy! It's gotta be for the kids! :v:

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
When I was a kid, Dumbo, of all things, scared me half to death. I had nightmares about elephants for years. My brother, two years younger than me, was completely unphased, but certain commercials terrified him. Both of us refused to even be in the room if The Grinch was on, which our parents found hilarious for some reason.

What I'm saying, I guess, is that all kids are scaredy-cats in different ways.

Crow Jane has a new favorite as of 00:37 on Jun 2, 2015

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
Follow That Bird gave me nightmares, and made me terrified to look out my bedroom window at night. My lifetime blanket-as-magical-protection was probably 50% hiding from Miss Finch.

I was also very freaked out by the Twin Beaks piece, though I don't feel as silly about that one. 'Cause that's freaky.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

moerketid posted:

That's really sad, Spirited Away is a great family movie and entirety appropriate for kids.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Spirited Away is one thing. I remember hearing about parents thinking Pan's Labyrinth was a kid's movie :stare:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Crow Jane posted:

Spirited Away is one thing. I remember hearing about parents thinking Pan's Labyrinth was a kid's movie :stare:

People will think anything is a fuckin' kids movie. I'm dumb, you're dumb, everybody's stupid as hell, and that's funny. I honestly wouldn't have been surprised if forty years ago some airheaded parents thought The Italian Stallion sounded like an animated film about a horse with an accent.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The donkey scene in Pinocchio is my personal animated film terror. The horrible horrible bleating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

Shintaro posted:

Follow That Bird gave me nightmares, and made me terrified to look out my bedroom window at night. My lifetime blanket-as-magical-protection was probably 50% hiding from Miss Finch.

I was also very freaked out by the Twin Beaks piece, though I don't feel as silly about that one. 'Cause that's freaky.

I was terrified by ET. I loved it while I was watching it, but once I got home I realized that in reality I wanted no part of an alien coming to my house. I had nightmares for a week about aliens showing up and wanting to live with me.

quote:

saw Black Swan at a matinee showing where the theater was packed with elderly folk that clearly thought they were just going to see a nice movie about ballet.

One lesbian sex scene later my boyfriend and I were the only ones in the theater.

Kinda feel like this qualifies for the thread, unless you live in some weird super conservative bubble place? I can believe one or two people, but the whole entire theater? People don't turn into fragile little flowers once they turn 70. When I went to see Book of Mormon, the audience was full of elderly people and not a single person walked out, not even when they started singing about raping babies and loving god right in the oval office. They even though it was funny and were laughing, if you can believe it of people who are so old.

I went to see Black Swan with my mom (who is 69) and she didn't care about the lesbian sex. She was only mad because the whole time she was trying to figure out the "mystery" and she was wrong about everything.

• Locked thread