Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

JeffersonClay, what do you do for a living? I'm curious.

At this time he is obviously a poster extraordinaire but I am certain his resume is open to any university level economic departments needing a new department head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

paragon1 posted:

you're really banking on getting people mad at PTD so they'll stop making fun of you now, huh?

Yes, anyone who calls out an anti-gay slur must really be self-interested. Have I heard you on AM talk radio?

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

JeffersonClay posted:

Yes, anyone who calls out an anti-gay slur must really be self-interested.

can you make a chart for me? im confused again

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

JeffersonClay posted:

Yes, anyone who calls out an anti-gay slur must really be self-interested. Have I heard you on AM talk radio?

JeffersonClay, how you do you make your money?

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

down with slavery posted:

can you make a chart for me? im confused again

What does that have to do with popular thug drink's weird homophobia?

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

JeffersonClay posted:

what does that have to do with the minimum wage

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

JeffersonClay posted:

Please let it be this post lord.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

JeffersonClay, how you do you make your money?

he lives on skid row, remember, maybe he's homeless

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i hate gay people, in a really major way. which is ironic, because i myself am exceedingly gay. or, it would be ironic, if it weren't hypocritical, and sad. this is why i make bad posts, the burning homosexuality that sluggishly tears away at my shrivelled little gayboy heart

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

JeffersonClay posted:

You're confusing data and numbers. I gave you the rationale for the shape of the curve.

Nope not confused, I'm saying you can't support your argument with data.

Bear in mind Laffer still can't and that dude has a PhD from stanford, I'm guessing your resume isn't as good

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
increasing the min wage to $20/hr or more is proven by science to be extremely good for the poor

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

Popular Thug Drink posted:

increasing the min wage to $20/hr or more is proven by science to be extremely good for the poor

If you don't represent this as a graph I can't take you seriously

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

JeffersonClay posted:

so I see we've moved on to abandoning your argument entirely to focus on attacking the credibility of anyone who disagrees with you

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

LorrdErnie posted:

If you don't represent this as a graph I can't take you seriously

Here, let me demonstrate for you.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT
Thank you that's much clearer now.

Can't argue with that!

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Has the Reagan graph been posted yet?

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.
JeffersonClay, what is your oppinion on watermelons?

edit: please answer in graph form

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

JeffersonClay posted:

This is, in itself, a very bold statement. I personally don't think we should disregard the impacts of a policy on the poorest, even if it did make some less-poor people not poor at all. I tend to think the most vulnerable people in society deserve special consideration when crafting policy

Minimum wage is intended to provide a living wage, if it is unable to do that can you explain why it should exist at all?

JeffersonClay posted:

but I'm a liberal and I guess you're not?

I don't have a team, and even if I did you trying to call me out is weird and stupid.

JeffersonClay posted:

This is really confusing. What do you mean by maximal point? I've been told repeatedly that this thread has no people who think the minimum wage can go upwards, indefinitely, without causing negative consequences. That's exactly what the graph shows. The point which maximizes benefits for the poor has nothing to do with what we define a living wage as.

Sorry, I'm trying to explain my point of view using your graph. I believe that the minimum wage is intended to prevent workers from being exploited, to ensure all workers are paid a living wage. The maximal point in my graph would be the point at which the working poor can provide for themselves without additional assistance. It does not matter what that wage is, if a living wage is $15billion/s it seems to me that we need to do that. Though I suspect, because of the examples set by other countries, that a living wage is possible without having to sacrifice the quality of life for anyone.

You haven't answered why you think the minimum wage has to solve the problem of ensuring the non-working poor don't experience the ravages of inflation.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

ElCondemn posted:

Minimum wage is intended to provide a living wage, if it is unable to do that can you explain why it should exist at all?

If it's actually good it will be bad because reasons

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Like they always say, good is the enemy of perfect.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

JeffersonClay posted:

The concepts I'm describing aren't just theoretical, they're measurable.

Not with your doodle they aren't.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments
As I sit alone
I contemplate, everyone
Why are they assholes?

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Zeitgueist posted:

Nope not confused, I'm saying you can't support your argument with data.

Bear in mind Laffer still can't and that dude has a PhD from stanford, I'm guessing your resume isn't as good

Laffer also made a graph therefore all graphs are bad? i gave you the data which informed the graph. You couldn't argue with it. Now you've chosen to take a tragically hilarious stand on the easily dismissed argument that data must be numbers. You are wrong.

paragon1 posted:

So we've found another elusive poster who thinks the minimum wage can increase without bound. They told me you were extinct!

ElCondemn posted:

To help ameliorate poverty.

quote:

I don't have a team, and even if I did you trying to call me out is weird and stupid.
It's just really incongruous to hear someone be very concerned with the poor in one breath and then be cavalier about making a significant number of them worse off because the only people who count are the ones we can lift out of poverty.

quote:

Sorry, I'm trying to explain my point of view using your graph. I believe that the minimum wage is intended to prevent workers from being exploited, to ensure all workers are paid a living wage. The maximal point in my graph would be the point at which the working poor can provide for themselves without additional assistance. It does not matter what that wage is, if a living wage is $15billion/s it seems to me that we need to do that.

I wonder how many posters here agree with you, but lack the courage to post something so manifestly crazy. The minimum wage isn't some panacea switch we can flip on to fix poverty. It doesn't work like that.

quote:

You haven't answered why you think the minimum wage has to solve the problem of ensuring the non-working poor don't experience the ravages of inflation.
Because if inflation is a consequence of raising the minimum wage we need to weigh that cost against the benefits.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

JeffersonClay posted:

So we've found another elusive poster who thinks the minimum wage can increase without bound. They told me you were extinct!
You can't be real.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

You can't be real.

His 'graph' was an extremely strong play at TT's title.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.
Just for reference the Laffer curve isn't wrong. It's just illegitimate to imply that existing tax rates are anywhere near the downward slope. It's really really easy to say "yep the laffer curve is a thing but we're not close to the down part" and leave it at that.

The graph here represent about 3 pretty uncontroversial peices of information. I personally find the reaction to it to be amusing. Are people here so easily persuaded by graphs themselves that they find this one threatening? Are they uncomfortable seeing arguments they made or agreed to in one place visually? I really have no idea.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

asdf32 posted:

Just for reference the Laffer curve isn't wrong. It's just illegitimate to imply that existing tax rates are anywhere near the downward slope. It's really really easy to say "yep the laffer curve is a thing but we're not close to the down part" and leave it at that.

The graph here represent about 3 pretty uncontroversial peices of information. I personally find the reaction to it to be amusing. Are people here so easily persuaded by graphs themselves that they find this one threatening? Are they uncomfortable seeing arguments they made or agreed to in one place visually? I really have no idea.

It's less of a graph and more "I made poo poo it up and drew a picture". I'd like to see actual studies supporting your claim TIA.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

paragon1 posted:

I love this so much.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It was a graph of nothing that was new and presented as though it was some sort of argument winning trump despite having no real evidence or data behind it.

JeffersonClay posted:

Sorry you can't prove his graph doesn't curve back down later. His graph actually represents the first 1-15 cents increase in the minimum wage.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
So this forum has now sunk to making homophobic remarks when they can't actually debate the topic at hand.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Nevvy Z posted:

it was some sort of argument winning trump despite having no real evidence or data behind it.

Sorry the graph clearly shows that utility to the poor increases exponentially with an increase in the minimum wage.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

euphronius posted:

Sorry the graph clearly shows that utility to the poor increases exponentially with an increase in the minimum wage.

Oh no that quote was about JClay's graph sorry. I love the other one too.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
I mean it's kinda amazing in 500 pages nobody's actually come up with a justification for 15/hr. Just a bunch of handwaving and calling people gay for disagreeing.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

tsa posted:

I mean it's kinda amazing in 500 pages nobody's actually come up with a justification for 15/hr. Just a bunch of handwaving and calling people gay for disagreeing.

So you didn't actually read the thread then. Good to know.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

tsa posted:

I mean it's kinda amazing in 500 pages nobody's actually come up with a justification for 15/hr

"People should be able to survive on minimum wage"

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

tsa posted:

You a straight boi, tsa?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

JeffersonClay posted:

Laffer also made a graph therefore all graphs are bad?

No, just the scaleless, unitless graphs with completely arbitrary and made up shapes, like the graph that Laffer made, are bad. Your picture is bad for all of the same reasons

JeffersonClay posted:

There's clearly a bound to that graph, look at the scalebar dipshit

asdf32 posted:

I personally find the reaction to it to be amusing. Are people here so easily persuaded by graphs themselves that they find this one threatening? Are they uncomfortable seeing arguments they made or agreed to in one place visually? I really have no idea.

It's good that you find amusement amusing

(I know that you've had trouble reading emotions from internet posts in the past, but none of the reactions have been based on anger, fear, or discomfort, trust me on this)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

tsa posted:

People who work should be given a living wage

Boom, justified

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

JeffersonClay posted:

Judging by the graph, the Good For The Poor point is all the way on the right, so make that two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

tsa posted:

So this forum has now sunk to making homophobic remarks when they can't actually debate the topic at hand.

This forum has been something awful since forever.

• Locked thread