Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Kvlt! posted:

Any of you guys have a ZVEX Wooly Mammoth fuzz pedal? I'm thinking of buying one to play stoner doom. I have an OKKO Diablo fuzz pedal that I'm using right now. Looking for something different.

it gives a million different kind of fart sounds. friend has it, way overpriced imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

Any of you guys have a ZVEX Wooly Mammoth fuzz pedal? I'm thinking of buying one to play stoner doom. I have an OKKO Diablo fuzz pedal that I'm using right now. Looking for something different.

I have a Mastotron. Not sure how similar it is to the Wooly Mammoth, and a quick Google search pulls up everything from 'it's the same circuit with a knob to change impedance' to 'they sound totally different'. The Mastotron is pretty versatile and can get obnoxiously synthy if you want. In my current band I have tone, fuzz, and pulse width most of the way down & subs on 3 for more of a normal fuzz.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Scarf posted:

Good to know! I haven't really been looking at any gear in so drat long, I had no idea. Apparently this all took place back in 2013?! I guess that's what happens when I stop going to TalkBass.

I've read a lot of rumors about G-B on Talkbass. Some people say that it's been sold again, or that Jeff Genzler has something else cooking up, but who knows for certain. I do know that Andy works for Mesa Boogie now, so it'll be interesting to see if they put out any G-B influenced amps.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
had a wooly mammoth fuzz, sold it cause it was a one trick pony and i didnt dig it.

TriggerHappy
Mar 14, 2007

JayKay posted:

Are the MONO gig bags really worth the price?

If you regularly walk around with your bass, definitely. I have the Vertigo case and its incredibly more comfortable than the cheap 50 dollar gig bag I had before.

Be aware that the front pocket (on the vertigo at least) isn't very big. I can fit my laptop, a cable, and a few little accessories like a tuner or pack of strings, but definitely not everything I need for a show. I ended up getting the guitar tick which fits a couple pedals, a one spot, some cables, etc. It works well but its another 80 bucks.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Scarf posted:

Good to know! I haven't really been looking at any gear in so drat long, I had no idea. Apparently this all took place back in 2013?! I guess that's what happens when I stop going to TalkBass.

There isn't really that much new cool stuff out there to be honest. Everything's merged into this Class-D blob.

That Baer Valkyrie head I got last year is the best amp I've ever played in my life, super high quality and actually innovative - yet he couldn't sell enough of them to get out of the beta run because it weighs a whopping 20 lbs.

Same with cabs - Neo stuff has become nearly ubiquitous, the Kappalites dominate the full range, high power multi-way thing, nearly everyone sells a 1x12 and huge cabs are basically gone.

For a long time bass gear was innovating significantly faster than guitar gear but I've seen much more new and interesting guitar stuff lately than bass stuff.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

All the innovation is going towards 8-9 string guitars because no one ever gave those kids a deep bass and stuck them in front of a big cab.

But really... I like where a lot of companies are "innovating" and improving. Aguilar is probably my favorite right now, I've been very into their company since getting the TH500 I mentioned recently. It's class D sure but I like that. The head is a very, very loud 500 solid state watts and the vintage tone I get out of it is all I could ask for. Oh, and it's smaller than most 90s pc game boxes and weighs nothing. Same with their cabs. Lightweight but sturdy, well designed, and sound excellent.

I love seeing the industry push forward but my personal preference is the companies who take a proven formula and cut the fat while streamlining the good things.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I would like to see a bass version of the Roland G5. I haven't even used one but I love the concept.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

All the innovation is going towards 8-9 string guitars because no one ever gave those kids a deep bass and stuck them in front of a big cab.

But really... I like where a lot of companies are "innovating" and improving. Aguilar is probably my favorite right now, I've been very into their company since getting the TH500 I mentioned recently. It's class D sure but I like that. The head is a very, very loud 500 solid state watts and the vintage tone I get out of it is all I could ask for. Oh, and it's smaller than most 90s pc game boxes and weighs nothing. Same with their cabs. Lightweight but sturdy, well designed, and sound excellent.

I love seeing the industry push forward but my personal preference is the companies who take a proven formula and cut the fat while streamlining the good things.

The thing is, aside from weight and price Aguilar had much cooler amps ten years ago.

I was an Aguilar guy for a LONG time. I've had a DB750, DB680, DB728, couple of AG500's...then they put their preamp / DI pedal in a box with a Class D power module and blew the roof off sales-wise. I don't blame them for only selling the ToneHammer and it's a nice amp, but I think the AG500 blew it out of the water tone-wise. I still like the TH just fine and it sells by the bajillions for a reason.

Nowadays you can't build something you actually intend to sell a bunch of without leveraging the cheap, light, pre-built power modules from B&O (the ICEPower is in nearly every single class D amp), Powersoft, or whatever because your competition is all selling $600 500w 6lb amps and you'll never sell any if you're heavier or substantially more expensive. I get it from a business sense and there's still plenty of tonal variety within that space but the transition to class-D happened so dramatically a few years ago that anything else that pops up doesn't really seem that crazy.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
Twenty pounds is heavy?

I wonder what my Sunn 300T weighs.

Edit: I looked it up in the specs. Seventy-five pounds!

Holy hell, no wonder no one ever helped me with my gear. I knew it wasn't just because I'm the bass player!

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 31, 2015

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

There isn't really that much new cool stuff out there to be honest. Everything's merged into this Class-D blob.

That Baer Valkyrie head I got last year is the best amp I've ever played in my life, super high quality and actually innovative - yet he couldn't sell enough of them to get out of the beta run because it weighs a whopping 20 lbs.

Same with cabs - Neo stuff has become nearly ubiquitous, the Kappalites dominate the full range, high power multi-way thing, nearly everyone sells a 1x12 and huge cabs are basically gone.

For a long time bass gear was innovating significantly faster than guitar gear but I've seen much more new and interesting guitar stuff lately than bass stuff.

Yeah, thats part of the reason I stopped keeping up with stuff... 1. I was happy with my setup, and 2. I didnt see anything interesting on the market past like, the VT Bass Deluxe.

I was like, welp, that's pretty much all I ever need.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

tarlibone posted:

Twenty pounds is heavy?

I wonder what my Sunn 300T weighs.

Edit: I looked it up in the specs. Seventy-five pounds!

Holy hell, no wonder no one ever helped me with my gear. I knew it wasn't just because I'm the bass player!

20 pounds isn't heavy, but in today's market it may as well be an SVT. It's really hard to get people spend money on a boutique-expensive head that's 20lbs when you can get the same wattage for less than half the price and less than half the weight.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

20 pounds isn't heavy, but in today's market it may as well be an SVT. It's really hard to get people spend money on a boutique-expensive head that's 20lbs when you can get the same wattage for less than half the price and less than half the weight.

I assume you're right.

I got my current amp only because about 10 different things happened at once, and I ended up getting an excellent all-tube amp for, basically, a song. But before then, and even since, I was a fan of solid state amps. I mean, tubes kick just a little more rear end in certain ways, but I can't begin to count the money I've spent on 6550 tubes (6 at a loving time!), special fuses that were nearly impossible to get before Amazon was a thing, and backaches. Solid state is rugged, it's dependable, it's cheap, and it's light. And, although it doesn't sound quite as good as a tube amp in some situations, solid-state is excellent, sonic-wise, for the bass. It is literally a win-win-win-win-draw.

I just never knew that weight was something that people worried about. I can tell you this: back when I was amp-shopping, nobody ever talked about how much an amp weighs. And I'm talking, at most, 15 years ago. I heard about watts, I heard about hybrid amps (usually a tube pre-amp and solid-state power amp), and I heard a lot about bi-amping. Never once did anyone mention weight.

When did that start?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Cheap class-D power modules have only existed for the last five or six years. Getting something that was light and powerful used to cost a boatload, and was only being done by a few manufacturers.

No one used to care because 800w 5lb $700 heads didn't exist yet.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
There are also some pretty inexpensive all-tube heads around these days. Recent Peaveys and Traynors both have pretty good reps (haven't had a chance to try either) and can be found for around $500 used.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Weight probably became an issue because there are less youngsters getting into guitar/bass and more people in their late 20's and 30's picking it up due to disposable income.

At that age it's more likely you've hosed your back up at least once and are looking for ways to avoid it in the future.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
my work out routine revolves around the muscle groups needed to lift a v4 and a 810

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
I've been concerned about weight of my gear for a long time, but I also have had two back surgeries before the age of 13, so....I think I'm an outlier. I also found that I don't need a big amp in general. Most of the time I just use my amp as a tone shaper and then as a personal monitor.

The best sounding amp I have is a Glockenklang Heartcore, and I think its just amazing with a very warm sound and articulate EQ. Its all solid state, 400 watts, and it weighs a ton (not really, 28 lbs+rack case). Moving the head and then speakers on top of it just became too much and I decided to look for something to play out with. I still have this amp, but I don't know when I can use it unfortunately. Its really hard to justify moving a gigantic thing when you have a much smaller amps that'll get you 90% of the way there.

The first lighter amp I bought was a Phil Jones Briefcase. I think I bought it when it first came out in 2005 I think. The whole thing weighs 28 lbs and is 100 watts with two 5" speakers, which sounds like a weird joke, but I think it sounds great and I always get compliments when I play out with it. Its a very, very clean amp and came out right before the class D stuff came out. I stopped using this amp for a while because without PA support, a drummer can overpower it pretty quickly.

The second light amp I got was a Genz Benz Shuttle 12, which is a 600 watt hybrid class D amp paired with a neodynium 12" cab. I bought this in 2008. Combined with the cab, the total weight is around 30 lbs. I never really was completely satisfied with the sound I would get from the amp, so most of the time I would go from my SanAmp to the FX loop in.

Currently, I play the Phil Jones amp out and about now. The vast majority of venues have PA support, if not then we usually will bring our own sound system that I can hook into for more projection if need be.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Thread needs a curmudgeon.

Four strings, flat or tape wound, and tubes. That's what sounds good, and that's what you use.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I can't even play rounds on bass anymore. They sound weird and hollow to me and the string noise is awful. Tapes are perfect and have a low end punch like a warhammer to the chest.

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

CheesyDog posted:

Fender bought them and the new Fender Rumbles are basically GB Shuttles. I'm not sure if they have the built in high pass filter though, which I think is a huge part of how tight GB stuff can sound at high volume.

On wattage - my thoughts are that wattage is so cheap now that you might as well get more than you think you need. The aforementioned Fender Rumbles - 100 more dollars takes you from 200 watts to 500.

The only thing good that came of it was I got a great GB amp at blowout price, there still may be a few floating around the net.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I used to hate rounds, then I started playing more fusion and now I love them. Gotta have some bite.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Studebaker Hawk posted:

The only thing good that came of it was I got a great GB amp at blowout price, there still may be a few floating around the net.

I managed to catch the knife and buy a new Shuttlemax 9.2 at less than current used prices on clearance along with an extra footswitch and rack ears right after the Fender deal. And yes, it is complete overkill for every gig.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I think that regardless of what "your sound" is every serious bassist should have a P-bass with flats in the stable.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I think that regardless of what "your sound" is every serious bassist should have a P-bass with flats in the stable.

P-bass? Yes. Flats? Sorry, but no. I have some nylon tapewound on my fretless, but I tried flats years ago and hated every second of it. It's just easier to move over rounds, for me anyway.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I have half-rounds on my pbass and I'm pretty happy with them. Mainly cause I can still slap on them.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

This is why I'm itching for one of those Squier P-basses. I don't care about slapping, I don't care about treble, I don't care about "zing". I need the meanest deepest low end. My Bongo 5 with tapes nails it but the simplicity of a 4 string P is my ideal bass setup.

I think the deeper I get into playing the more primal and primitive my preferences get.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
Yeah, flats are awesome and all but I have been aging a set of rounds on my pbass for a few years, and they pretty much sound like flats now, with just enough bite left.

I read somewhere that Roger Waters played with super old rounds, and I've always loved his tone, especially on Young Lust. I've tried half rounds, and thought they sounded god awful..

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I'm all about rounds because I want that bite and zing. I want to sound like a choking robot.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

My man...

Everyone post your pbasses. Pbasses for the Pbass gods!

Scarf fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jun 2, 2015

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Scarf posted:

My man...

js86
Jul 22, 2012
My American Select Jazz and P Bass:

Rifter17
Mar 12, 2004
123 Not It
Two-hand tap and don't fit into any of my gigbags everyday

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Scarf posted:

Any excuse.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Squier Vintage modified.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
a three piece body with a figured middle piece? that's a cool look

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

muike posted:

a three piece body with a figured middle piece? that's a cool look

Right? I got it off of Musicansfriend's scratch and dent listings. When I recieved it I looked all over and couldn't find any imperfections, so that's probably why it ended up there. Here is a pic of the back.

200$ well spent in my opinion.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
factory 2nds and s&d are always really good bargains

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Scarf posted:

My man...

Does this count?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
Here's my baby.