Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Asuron posted:

t was always pretty dark, but at the end it was just flatout depressing. The death of all the auxiliary Animorphs, Jakes depression, the group blowing up a Yeerk pool with thousands of people in it.The only bright spot at the end was the book where Marco, Tobias and Ax go on a group mission and roll a tank over Chapmans house.

There was also a weird one where half of it was Jake and the Animorphs teaming up with a group of campers to defend the Free Hork-Bajir valley, and the other half was his great-great-grandfather doing basically the same thing but as a infantry lieutenant in the Civil War. The Hork-Bajir were freed slaves, the campers were some townsfolk in Tennessee, and the Yeerks were the Confederacy.

The quality of the books varied a hell of a lot, but I applaud the series for never being afraid to try really weird poo poo, like, all the time.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jun 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Benny the Snake posted:

Internet Critic Discussion Thread 3.0: 90s Scholastic Book Chat

On another note, are there any really good contemporary book reviewers out there?

Hmm, I haven't come across many book video-reviewers, probably because books aren't visual, and it's pretty bloody tough to make a video about a book without it either being a vlog, or forcing you to spend ages finding ways to illustrate the text.
Still, there's sure to be some book podcasters or book text reviewers out there. I still read the odd book review in the paper, but I don't really know what's out there for contemporary, internet-based book talk.

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Anyways, Lindsay has a new Loose Cannon, this time on Death. Naturally, in covering such a broad topic, she will leave out your particular favourite variation. Like she only mentions one anime, and I honestly never knew Black Butler had anything to do with grim reaping so it's a hellva weird choice when Death Note is, like, right there. So really it's less "Death" and more "incarnations of Death that are directly inspired by or hold to the same general ideal as 1957's The Seventh Seal"

Lindsay did actually look into Death Note along with seventy billion other things that aren't in that video, but ultimately cut it (along with seventy billion other things.) In Death Note's case it was because it fell too far outside the Westernized "Death" image, would have required too much of a rabbit trail. Black Butler made the cut because even though it has shinigami in it, due to the European setting, they get called reapers, and they even have scythes (kinda), which shinigami usually don't. Anyway, I don't envy her the topic. I feel like she covered twice the number of things that would be expected reasonable. So many hours of media... :stare:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, she could have made the topic into an 8 part mini-series with hour long episodes and still have to make cuts and be picky about what she does and doesn't cover. Hell, she mentioned Thanatos but not Anubis or Hel, which is a pretty big indicator of how much she had to cut.

Death as a character is already a drat big topic to tackle, but that just raises the question of why the hell Black Butler is mentioned at all since that's more along the lines of death as a concept, since from what I gleamed from the video, there isn't one character called Death so much as an organization responsible for managing death, which for a series that supposed to be focusing on just one character is kinda stepping outside of the topic at hand, unless she had a specific character to talk about, which she kinda did with Black Butler but not really. Same with Dead Like Me, more of a mention without actually touching on, like, anything about the representative character of Death in the series.

But yeah, holy poo poo the amount of research behind this video is a number of manhours I do not envy. This is a seriously massive topic even just touching on characters explicitly named Death, which is I assume why she didn't mention A Christmas Carol's ghost of Christmas yet to come and others of it's ilk.

I could start a YouTube channel on this idea and never run out of things to talk about but I won't because I'm hella lazy.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Yeah, she could have made the topic into an 8 part mini-series with hour long episodes and still have to make cuts and be picky about what she does and doesn't cover. Hell, she mentioned Thanatos but not Anubis or Hel, which is a pretty big indicator of how much she had to cut.

Oh, but she did! When Lindsay differentiated between Thanatos and Hades she mentioned that Anubis and Hel have a similar relatdness to death but are not death personified as Thanatos is.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Jim Sterling Posted his review of Hatred. He also did a LP of it here.

Jim Sterling posted:

A grim part of me actually looked forward to this. Good or bad, I thought we’d get something provocative or remarkable in some way, shape, or form. Instead, we got a prosaic and outmoded little pile of cynicism. Perhaps worse than that – we got a drat boring game.

I kind of have this idea for a somewhat parody of it, where instead of killing people you have to perform random acts of kindness. I've been writing a bunch of comic scripts and wanna try making this. :shobon:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
PAGING SATANS BEST BUDDY

jesus dude, chill

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

DoctorWhat posted:

PAGING SATANS BEST BUDDY

jesus dude, chill

:v:

Still thinking about that YouTube channel. Maybe just a webcam, no script, and a decent drink, I could ramble on about characters and poo poo vaguely related to death for about an hour, could be great fun.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DoctorWhat posted:

PAGING SATANS BEST BUDDY

jesus dude, chill
"Not enough namedrops, a boo boo bloo." -A Goon

Jay O
Oct 9, 2012

being a zombie's not so bad
once you get used to it

DoctorWhat posted:

PAGING SATANS BEST BUDDY

jesus dude, chill

Time once again to SHAME A GOON.

SHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME don't be lovely to hardworking joes on the internet SHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME...

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Loved the Loose Canon video, the Terry Pratchett joke killed me.

A small part of me wishes that Satan got the most votes because hoo boy did I love Peter Stomare's take on it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rVFse1LLQs

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Jay O posted:

SHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME don't be lovely to hardworking joes on the internet SHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME...

Yeah, it's not like she's trying to do a thesis paper in these videos. She's talking about key themes than make up the character and the ways in which he or she (or it) has changed over the years. In a situation like this, where the "character" is older than old, you can use a small set of examples to represent a larger set of archetypes that they tend to follow and the themes that they represent. She also, in the case of Black Butler and Dead Like Me, noted some less common representations, such as being portrayed as a bureaucracy.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

BigRed0427 posted:

quote:

we got a drat boring game.

This is pretty much my views of Hatred. Its basically a twin-stick shooter where the majority of your targets don't actually shoot back at you to, you know, provide any challenge.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I thought it was just some weird rear end tumblr user, nice to know it was a goon.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Jay O posted:

I am a little disappointed that she didn't bring up Soul Eater's Death, but he wouldn't have probably fit into the narrative of the video. He is a delightful character though with his oversized karate chopping hands :allears:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

This is pretty much my views of Hatred. Its basically a twin-stick shooter where the majority of your targets don't actually shoot back at you to, you know, provide any challenge.
[/quote]

Yea I watched broteam play it a bit and it's just a super boring 3rd person shooter with lovely 'edgy' writing. It was entirely intended to cash in on the 'free speech' crowd and kudos to gg and their lot for supporting literal nazis (I think?) in their quest to make a bland game sold on pure controversy. At least that awful Hunnipop game had some moments you can go 'ha ha this retard wrote that, ok'.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

achillesforever6 posted:

I am a little disappointed that she didn't bring up Soul Eater's Death, but he wouldn't have probably fit into the narrative of the video. He is a delightful character though with his oversized karate chopping hands :allears:

His son is amazing too.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

MonsieurChoc posted:

His son is amazing too.
Yes Death the Kid is amazing and relatable because I too hate it when things aren't symmetrical.

The best character is still Excalibur because Troy Baker is a national treasure who should be cherished and I wish he would still do some anime roles now and then.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNPvUmQ56t0

Man now I want Soul Eater to get a remake like FMA since they deviated pretty hard halfway through the original anime's run.

Btw I highly recommend Troy Baker's album Sitting in the Fire, lot of great tracks in it

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I'm not sure Soul Eater should continue on after that point. I'll admit that at the point the anime deviated the way the arc ended in the manga was pretty cool, but the arc after that was terrible. And the series after that point was messy. I haven't seen the original anime material, so I can't really compare the two.

kaleidolia
Apr 25, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

Jim Sterling Posted his review of Hatred. He also did a LP of it here.

I kind of have this idea for a somewhat parody of it, where instead of killing people you have to perform random acts of kindness. I've been writing a bunch of comic scripts and wanna try making this. :shobon:

All you'd need to do is make the explicit fetch quest stuff more of a game than a chore.

As for Hatred, I was more surprised by the initial reaction. It's not exactly the first dark and edgy game where you just kill people, which was the point of criticising it in the first place.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
That MovieBob gamer rant was surprisingly good (and even generous towards the people he's criticizing) so of course the YouTube comments are hilarious and terrible.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

kaleidolia posted:

All you'd need to do is make the explicit fetch quest stuff more of a game than a chore.

As for Hatred, I was more surprised by the initial reaction. It's not exactly the first dark and edgy game where you just kill people, which was the point of criticising it in the first place.

I think it was the Neo-Nazi connections that sort of pushed the game from something like a BloodBath KavKaz to something more horrifying. But of course, it got promoted with "Hey, maybe don't buy this game from loving nazis" pieces to more or less a marketing group full of reactionaries, which is how you end up with it being on the STEAM top sales.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

quote:

Yea I watched broteam play it a bit and it's just a super boring 3rd person shooter with lovely 'edgy' writing. It was entirely intended to cash in on the 'free speech' crowd and kudos to gg and their lot for supporting literal nazis (I think?) in their quest to make a bland game sold on pure controversy. At least that awful Hunnipop game had some moments you can go 'ha ha this retard wrote that, ok'.

Yeah uhh the games media are probably the biggest offenders in that, more so than any of the "free speech" crowd are. How many of them made moral panic articles abut the game? They're the only reason anyone ever looked at the game at all. So kudos to them, Polygon especially, for making dumb clickbait articles that gave this game attention it never earned or deserved. Hell it doesn't even deserve its AO rating. But sites like Polygon don't care, they're all about inflammatory clickbait articles and they got their views so they're probably happy with how it turned out

I mean christ Extra Credits made a whole video on how the game is just pure sadism and awful and blah blah blah. I thought they at least were better than that, especially when you look at the content at Hatred and it's not even close to being as bad as the many, many similar games that came before it., all of which let you murder unarmed civilians and try to make it really fun at the same time. Hell the "awful" executions aren't even close to being as violent as most of the stuff you see in modern games today.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

They were way, way nicer to Call of Juarez so probably they got embarrassed from watching it and decided to try to not repeat another piece of apologia to the next "This game looks like it was carved out of Gavin McInnes's noggin" piece.

Broteam also chased around Anita Sarkeesian screaming anti-jewish and anti-armenian poo poo at her so yeah, they didn't exactly play the game with a "blank state".

Sidenote: I kind of like that Clickbait became such a feared aspect that I don't know what is the most ludicrous aspect of that particular nonsense: SavedYouAClick once deeming a confirmed government warning telling people not to go to the sea on a region because of a nasty plankton infection that would gently caress up people bad as hysterical clickbait or Cracked not changing their policy on titling poo poo after the 10th or 20th "every other site makes you click on stupid poo poo because of titles! Unlike ours!" piece.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Jun 2, 2015

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Asuron posted:

Hell it doesn't even deserve its AO rating.

About that...you can actually request a higher ESRB rating than your game content actually merits. The organization doesn't care.

The devs likely targeted AO intentionally. A lot of the media overreaction was exactly what they wanted.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Hatred is just so dumb. I don't even really get how you can be offended by it. Not because I'm some blind idiot who doesn't understand how Neo-Nazis or spree killing could be offensive, but because it's just so obvious about it. The game isn't saying anything, and it's not thought provoking or any other sort of "provocative". It's the equivalent of a toddler throwing a tantrum and saying the worst swear words they can think of, or threatening to so totally hold their breath until they die, mom. My best attempts at outrage towards the game are "oh, that's nice, dear. Ask your father."

E: Hatred:

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jun 2, 2015

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Yeah, it's the sort of game that asks you to put a 3 number password as the final thing to get the ending and more or less looks at the player and goes "So, given everything you just saw, what password you think it goes here?". And then you put the first thing you're thinking of and yes, that's indeed the password.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

What, is it 911 or 666 or some poo poo?

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Hatred is :mediocre: but it will thrive once the mod tools get released. This is the game that needs a "fat goon rampaging through a brony convention" mod.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

What, is it 911 or 666 or some poo poo?

666, of course!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

:stoke:

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Archer666 posted:

Hatred is :mediocre: but it will thrive once the mod tools get released. This is the game that needs a "fat goon rampaging through a brony convention" mod.

lol it might actually be worth pirating after that.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Kunster posted:

666, of course!

Shoulda been 420, Nathan Explosion might have been less grouchy if he were high.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Celery Face posted:

A small part of me wishes that Satan got the most votes because hoo boy did I love Peter Stomare's take on it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rVFse1LLQs

Satan or God probably have a more interesting variety of interpretations than Death, but all three are such old and popular things in the culture that there was always going to be people bitching that she left "one" out.

There's a few specific deaths that I would have liked highlighted, but she did cover most of the categories of Death, which is really all you're going to do without making a separate channel dedicated to it.

But I voted Satan anyway because he's by far the most interesting in range of portrayals. Also I didn't think she could afford Morgan Freeman to guest host a God Loose Canon.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hatred is only made by Neo-Nazis if you homogenize every right-wing European group into "Neo-Nazis". Which on the surface is ok I guess, but also facilitates Americans not knowing anything at all about the complexities rest of the world and obfuscating what those groups actually advocate.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Hatred is only made by Neo-Nazis if you homogenize every right-wing European group into "Neo-Nazis". Which on the surface is ok I guess, but also facilitates Americans not knowing anything at all about the complexities rest of the world and obfuscating what those groups actually advocate.

Sure, a game made by plain old fascists is much better than a game made by Neo-Nazis.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Celery Face posted:

It's too bad she didn't cover any of the Discworld games, though, because she missed the opportunity to use this song in the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9pQUKV9MuM

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Andrast posted:

Sure, a game made by plain old fascists is much better than a game made by Neo-Nazis.

I'm not saying it's better dude, I'm saying that by calling them Neo-nazis you can pretend they are all some marginalized lunatics and not a fairly common and distinctly Polish strain of European conservatism.

Is Charlie Hebdo fascist? Or the new Ukrainian government?

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
FYI I'm not advocating for some dumb videogame made by idiot metalheads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
They're closer to the Polish Tea Party if anything. Blaming societal issues on (mostly Muslim) immigrants.

• Locked thread