Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Batman would!

What were we talking about again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Murdering people in their beds and getting away with it because you hold property rights.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Vahakyla posted:

If one of Gotham cops just popped The Joker in the back of the squad car, would anyone here cry foul?

We gotta get specific here. How many crimes has the Joker committed? Is this just the first jewelry store he has shot up and he has only killed a few innocent people? Yeah I'd probably be uncomfortable with cops just straight popping some random clown murderer; what if he didn't do it?

But the multi-year gas-Gotham-and-laugh practically our homegrown Osama Joker? I wouldn't be the guy who is gonna complain that rear end in a top hat got shot.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

More specifically, because you hold property rights and the filthy poors Occupying your space for free do not.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Multiple questions, just because you didn't put a question mark doesn't mean they aren't questions.

twodot posted:

Do you have any case law on this? In a situation where I have 1) hands and 2) a gun, and two intruders I believe to be dangerous, I don't see a way of applying minimum force to the situation, or rather the minimum force that will be successful is shooting them. Note New Zealand doesn't even require my belief that they are dangerous is reasonable:

twodot posted:

My understanding is that perceived threat was that they were holding a gun, and we don't get to test the reasonableness of that perception. Like it's cool that you can make assertions, but it's not very impressive unless you actually give your reasoning.
The case law is in the references/attribution the article has assuming you understand what a reference/attribution is. Here is a link to the end notes if you somehow couldn't find them peppered through out the article. Asking me to dig further is unreasonable as 1. the article is already based on past cases 2. This is a forum, a comedy forum 3. You're asking someone to dig their own grave by exceeding one knowledge on the subject.

Whether he was on his own property the or not is irrelevant. He went into a building actively searching based on prior knowledge knowing there were squatters. His intention was to confront the squatters, had readied a weapon. Every step of the way he was escalating. He became a vigilante. He precipitated the danger. Reasonable action would have been call cops to clear the place out and secure the building. Reasonableness does get tested and is part of uncovering the intention(s) and more importantly whether those intention(s) were “in the defence of himself or another”.

quote:

34 The New Zealand test for self-defence contains both a subjective and an objective element. The fact-finder must determine what the defendant believed the circumstances to be when he or she resorted to the use of force. This is a subjective inquiry. The defendant’s belief need not be reasonable, although lack of reasonableness may influence the fact-finder in deciding whether the defendant genuinely held that belief. The question whether the defendant was acting “in the defence of himself or another” is also subjective: the answer depends on whether this was the defendant’s intention in the circumstances as the defendant saw them.[46]

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

hobbesmaster posted:

Point of order: Batman doesn't kill people
:goonsay:
It's his one rule.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Vahakyla posted:

If one of Gotham cops just popped The Joker in the back of the squad car, would anyone here cry foul?
Not if he was seen roughing up a storeowner for some cigars earlier.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

SedanChair posted:

So throw a bullet tantrum, and think up a good story, and you're in the clear. This is just and good. Yes?
I’m surprised to see you of all people opposing the castle doctrine, since I’m pretty sure you took the opposite position in the gun control thread. That said, killing someone with no other witnesses has always been a pretty good way to get away with murder, but I don’t think we should shift the burden onto the accused in order to make sure no guilty person ever goes free.

Murderion posted:

It's notable that in the UK, protection of property does not give you grounds to shoot at minorities. Self defense is also not grounds for ownership of a firearm in Britain.
I think it’s crazy that a person can be held criminally liable for shooting at two people who indisputably broke into his home to rob him. I also disagree with the idea that a citizen should have to provide a “good reason” to the government in order to own things or do things, rather than the government having to provide a good reason (subject to judicial review) why they should not.

VitalSigns posted:

Because instigating an armed confrontation in the middle of the night iver some property you've abandoned for a decade is being reckless with people's lives and safety?
The squatters instigated the confrontation by trespassing. The owner had every right to be there and doesn’t have to stay clear of his building at night because he knows it’s being illegally occupied. He also has no way of knowing that the meth users squatting in his building were unarmed. In fact, it’s a pretty reasonable for him to assume that they had the means to put his life in jeopardy.

Taeke posted:

A lot of these protections… that are designed to protect the killer from unnecessary grief (from an investigation) in the case it were justified, which just doesn't compute for me. If I were to kill a person in self defense, in an 'ideal' situation where it were their life or mine and I could 100% justifiably make the choice to take their life to save mine, that being properly investigated would be the least of my worries because I just ended someone else's life. gently caress, the argument could even be made that submitting myself to a proper investigation, getting all angles looked at etc, would be to my benefit because either (1) I'll be completely vindicated and it'll just give me reassurance I made the right choice in taking the other's life, or (2) I wasn't justified in taking their life which could be either punished for and depending on that reason, or I could be made to understand how and why I came to the decision to do what I did, helping me to move on.
I’m flabbergasted that someone following this thread would say, “Yeah, I’m just going to subject myself to police detention, an investigation, and subsequent trial, because if I didn’t do anything wrong I have nothing to fear, right?”

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

quote:

A muscle-bound martial artist equipped with body armor and a billion dollars' worth of weapons versus a thin homeless man in clown makeup with several crippling mental illnesses.
Basically a cop. So right thread.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

quote:

Yes as this would be a reasonable and sane thing to do. Not doing so gets you Reeva Steenkamp.
You literally quoted a hypothetical where I talked about living alone, and therefore not being in danger of shooting my supermodel girlfriend through the bathroom door. Good job.

oohhboy posted:

I don't much appreciate you trying to trip me up by flooding me with irrelevant questions when said questions have been asked and answered. If you like, you can follow the case law inside that link that the article is based on. I don't have to give my reasoning as others far more studied have already made clear far better than I can how the Law works in NZ and it is self evident as to how it applies to the past 3 mentioned cases.
You didn’t provide any case law, you didn’t even link to the relevant statutes. Your link was to a law commission monograph about the applicability of the imminence and alternatives tests in NZ law to battered women.

quote:

In any case, the Homeless killer had sought the situation he found himself in. Not only did he fail to make any attempt to prevent violence, he initiated it making him the attacker. At that point it would be the two homeless acting in self defence had they the ability to respond. You don't get to play Rambo under our law.
This is the part where it would be helpful if you could cite the relevant NZ case law. The building owner’s claim was that he perceived a sudden and imminent lethal threat, meaning that he did not need to wait to be attacked, and that deadly force was a proportional means of response. The only ways to impeach that claim would be either to demonstrate that he could not reasonably have perceived that, or with New Zealand’s ridiculous “did you have any alternatives” test.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Josef bugman posted:

Murdering people in their beds and getting away with it because you hold property rights.

~*justamericathings*~

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

American Les Miserables.

SCENE: Prisoner 24601, newly released, slinks hopelessly along a city street in Montana. A kindly businessman, knowing there have been burglaries recently and taking pity on this sad figure, sets down a generous silver dining set in the garage, complete with two heavy solid silver candlesticks: a kings' ransom. The man slips in, reaches toward the candlesticks, and a shotgun blast hits him straight in the face. The kind businessman apologizes to the silverware for using it this way, but encourages it to have pity for all the other helpless property in the neighborhood, no longer at this criminal's mercy.

SCENE: A young girl runs away from her owners, depriving them of the just returns on their investment. They are forced, wailing and crying, to sell their wedding rings to make up for the loss. Melancholy orchestra music.

SCENE: That young girl, now 10 years older, in a helpless abandoned building. She has used it and abused it, sleeping there without paying a dime. Suddenly, the property owner returns, heroically gunning her down as she begs on floor. "I think she had a gun or something, who knows what she was capable of, just look what she did to property that wasn't even hers".

SCENE: A noble policeman, dedicated to his craft, observes due process and fully respects the rights of a suspect who committed the heinous crime of running from a cop. Yet the judge doesn't order the death penalty. Realizing he could have just shot the man in the back and claimed he felt threatened, the policeman sees his devotion to justice has put him on the side of the criminal all along. The contradiction is too great for him to bear, he drowns himself in the Hudson river.

The thirty minutes of action concluded, the audience is treated to a 90-minute lecture on the ravages welfare inflicts on the tax payer, and how no one would have to die if we all complied with the police in good cheer.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jun 2, 2015

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dead Reckoning posted:

You literally quoted a hypothetical where I talked about living alone, and therefore not being in danger of shooting my supermodel girlfriend through the bathroom door. Good job.
You didn’t provide any case law, you didn’t even link to the relevant statutes. Your link was to a law commission monograph about the applicability of the imminence and alternatives tests in NZ law to battered women.
This is the part where it would be helpful if you could cite the relevant NZ case law. The building owner’s claim was that he perceived a sudden and imminent lethal threat, meaning that he did not need to wait to be attacked, and that deadly force was a proportional means of response. The only ways to impeach that claim would be either to demonstrate that he could not reasonably have perceived that, or with New Zealand’s ridiculous “did you have any alternatives” test.

Your first statement is a straw man where you deemed the only reaction to an unknown in the vicinity of your dwelling was to shoot an unknown target as you first response, an immensely irresponsible thing to do even if you were fighting a war.

The law commission monograph points out the relevant statute in the first sentence, it then states the 4 tests required to assert self-defence with a 5th in relation to battered defendants. As battered defendants cases are more complex than normal self defence, it rightly spends more time discussing it.

Your third statement has been answered previously. He had the foresight to bring lethal force into a situation where he perceived a life and limb situation yet entered anyway. His actions were offensive in nature. He stopped being the defender and became the attacker.

Dead Reckoning posted:

I think it’s crazy that a person can be held criminally liable for shooting at two people who indisputably broke into his home to rob him. I also disagree with the idea that a citizen should have to provide a “good reason” to the government in order to own things or do things, rather than the government having to provide a good reason (subject to judicial review) why they should not.
Value of Life is greater than property and that is reflected in UKs Laws. Tony Martin the Farmer was found to have not used reasonable force with other aggravating factors like an illegal shotgun and lack of license for said shotgun.

If the last part about his political leans are true, he is pretty much considered Nazi-like in the UK given his party endorsements.

Dead Reckoning posted:

I’m flabbergasted that someone following this thread would say, “Yeah, I’m just going to subject myself to police detention, an investigation, and subsequent trial, because if I didn’t do anything wrong I have nothing to fear, right?”
It's called police work, you might have that reaction as your police appears to be more of an oppression force. People getting killed is a big deal, not getting a proper investigation would be irresponsible on the part of the justice system. See Killer Cops who investigate themselves.

The Justice Minster in the 2nd of November 2004 on matters of self defence.

quote:

Self-defence laws are clear, says Goff

New Zealand's laws covering self defence are clear, longstanding and shared by most other common law jurisdiction countries, says Justice Minister Phil Goff.

" Section 48 of the Crimes Act 1961 sets out the defence: 'Everyone is justified in using, in defence of himself or another, such force as, in the circumstances as he believes them to be, it is reasonable to use'.

"Under section 55, the law also permits 'such force as is necessary' to prevent the forcible breaking and entering of a person's house.

"In regard to self defence, the statutory defence permits the use of reasonable force to defend oneself – and that force may include deadly force in certain serious circumstances.

"The force allowed by the law, however, must not be disproportionate or excessive to the threat faced.

"For example, if someone was attacking me with a knife or a gun, I would likely be justified in using deadly force to repel the attack. But if I saw a thief walking out of my house carrying a television set, I would not be justified in shooting him in the back.

"Where there is doubt about the reasonableness of the force used, police can lay charges and send the matter to the Courts.

"Overwhelmingly, juries in determining such cases have, in other than extreme cases, shown some sympathy for the position of the person protecting himself against criminal intruders.

"This law in one form or another has been in place for around a century, and has been well tested.

"What we don't want is an Americanisation of our laws that encourages people to arm themselves and take the law into their own hands by shooting first and asking questions afterwards.

"This is inclined to put the lives of innocent people at risk as much as the lives of offenders, and to encourage criminals themselves to shoot first in anticipation of the other party being armed.

"It is for precisely this reason that New Zealand has chosen never generally to arm its police force.

"In a heavily-armed society like the United States, the homicide rate and the robbery rate are in fact four times higher per head of population than in New Zealand.

"Act MP Stephen Franks, in promoting change to the law, has got his facts wrong and has sought dishonestly to politicise the issue.

"The 1980 change he alleges was made by Labour to reduce the effectiveness of self defence was in fact made four years before Labour came to government.

"Further, the 1980 changes, according to my legal advisers, did exactly the opposite to what Mr Franks states.

"The amendments related to the self-defence rights of a trespasser who had provoked an attack by the property owner. They made no change at all to the self-defence rights of a property owner. They were repealed because they were complex and confusing.

"Mr Franks' claim that the Attorney General has decision-making powers in this area is quite wrong, and has been explicitly rejected by the Police," Mr Goff said.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Dead Reckoning posted:

The government has failed to give a good reason that I should not own an attack helicopter, therefore...

There will always be a line on what the government should not allow private citizens to own, or should restrict ownership of. In the UK this line is set in a different place to the states. It's worth noting that "legitimate grounds" for ownership of a firearm includes sport and target shooting (ie for fun). You're just not allowed to own one for the express purpose of killing another human being, no matter how justified you may be at the time.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

American Les Miserables.

SCENE: Prisoner 24601, newly released, slinks hopelessly along a city street in Montana. A kindly businessman, knowing there have been burglaries recently and taking pity on this sad figure, sets down a generous silver dining set in the garage, complete with two heavy solid silver candlesticks: a kings' ransom. The man slips in, reaches toward the candlesticks, and a shotgun blast hits him straight in the face. The kind businessman apologizes to the silverware for using it this way, but encourages it to have pity for all the other helpless property in the neighborhood, no longer at this criminal's mercy.

SCENE: A young girl runs away from her owners, depriving them of the just returns on their investment. They are forced, wailing and crying, to sell their wedding rings to make up for the loss. Melancholy orchestra music.

SCENE: That young girl, now 10 years older, in a helpless abandoned building. She has used it and abused it, sleeping there without paying a dime. Suddenly, the property owner returns, heroically gunning her down as she begs on floor. "I think she had a gun or something, who knows what she was capable of, just look what she did to property that wasn't even hers".

SCENE: A noble policeman, dedicated to his craft, observes due process and fully respects the rights of a suspect who committed the heinous crime of running from a cop. Yet the judge doesn't order the death penalty. Realizing he could have just shot the man in the back and claimed he felt threatened, the policeman sees his devotion to justice has put him on the side of the criminal all along. The contradiction is too great for him to bear, he drowns himself in the Hudson river.

The thirty minutes of action concluded, the audience is treated to a 90-minute lecture on the ravages welfare inflicts on the tax payer, and how no one would have to die if we all complied with the police in good cheer.

You could probably produce this and there'd be enough arguments over whether or not you're serious that it becomes a hit.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Murderion posted:

The government has failed to give a good reason that I should not own an attack helicopter, therefore...
There will always be a line on what the government should not allow private citizens to own, or should restrict ownership of. In the UK this line is set in a different place to the states. It's worth noting that "legitimate grounds" for ownership of a firearm includes sport and target shooting (ie for fun). You're just not allowed to own one for the express purpose of killing another human being, no matter how justified you may be at the time.

You absolutely can own a helicopter gunship in the United States though. :confused: You can own tanks too, if you hate money.

In the UK, you can't carry a knife with a locking blade without a "good reason." I don't care if the government lets me have guns for "sporting purposes" because 1) I object to the idea that I have to give the government a "good reason" for doing things rather than the government having to have a good reason I shouldn't, and 2) it really means that the government gets to determine what "sporting purposes" and sporting guns are legitimate. If I want to shoot skeet with a Streetsweeper or a SPAS-12, what business is it of theirs or anyone else?

Also, I can't own a gun to protect myself, but if I happen to kill an armed intruder with one of my fine hunting over-unders, well, that's totally sporting?

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jun 2, 2015

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Kill everyone IMO.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

VitalSigns posted:

American Les Miserables.

Do you hear the Freepers sing?
Singing the songs of angry men.
It is the music of minorities
Who'll not trespass again.
When the firing of your guns,
Equals the bleeding of their lungs,
It is a life about to end when tomorrow comes.

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jun 2, 2015

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dead Reckoning posted:

You absolutely can own a helicopter gunship in the United States though. :confused: You can own tanks too, if you hate money.

In the UK, you can't carry a knife with a locking blade without a "good reason." I don't care if the government lets me have guns for "sporting purposes" because 1) I object to the idea that I have to give the government a "good reason" for doing things rather than the government having to have a good reason I shouldn't, and 2) it really means that the government gets to determine what "sporting purposes" and sporting guns are legitimate. If I want to shoot skeet with a Streetsweeper or a SPAS-12, what business is it of theirs or anyone else?

Also, I can't own a gun to protect myself, but if I happen to kill an armed intruder with one of my fine hunting over-unders, well, that's totally sporting?

The reasoning is simple, by saying you are buying a gun for self-defence you are making an implication that you intent to do bodily harm with it. It is to protect you from owning a weapon for the wrong reasons and acts as a test of character.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

oohhboy posted:

The reasoning is simple, by saying you are buying a gun for self-defence you are making an implication that you intent to do bodily harm with it. It is to protect you from owning a weapon for the wrong reasons and acts as a test of character.
That does sort of imply the self defense is less important than shooting migratory birds.

Unless the intent is only to deny access to firearms to people too dumb to learn the phrase "It's for ducks."

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I'm not really comfortable with the government deciding off the bat that I could never have a legitimate need or reason to defend myself, or the government assessing my character before deciding what I may and may not do.

Also, if I tell the government man that my shotgun is for clays, and buy one of the ones that the government has decided it is OK for me to shoot clays with, and I later use it to shoot a person who is trying to kill me, will I be in trouble for using it for a wrong purpose?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I have a feeling you'd be hosed after shooting a sleeping couple in an abandoned property using the justification that you considered a boner to be a gun and were just looking for some birds to hunt.

hth

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

"I shouldn't have to ask government's permission to own a gun what tyranny! They'll abuse their power!"
"What if the government just shoots you for having a gun (or claims they thought you did) and they say they felt threatened?"
"That's fine! They shouldn't have to prove a thing, who are we to second-guess the government!"

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jun 2, 2015

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

I'm not really comfortable with the government deciding off the bat that I could never have a legitimate need or reason to defend myself, or the government assessing my character before deciding what I may and may not do.

Also, if I tell the government man that my shotgun is for clays, and buy one of the ones that the government has decided it is OK for me to shoot clays with, and I later use it to shoot a person who is trying to kill me, will I be in trouble for using it for a wrong purpose?

After reading your posts I'm really comfortable with the government making that decision.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It doesn't disallow you to use a gun for self defence, it just sets the bar higher for the use force. I would be far more worried if the government didn't assess the character and ability of someone who are to use something that is dangerous, more so if it is inherently lethal.

Your comfort is not my concern. But given how terrible/incompetent/barbaric your police and justice system is, I understand where some of that discomfort might come from. However this does not excuse your flippant disregard for life.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Waco Panty Raid posted:

Breaking into a house (even one you think is empty), ignoring calls to come out, then making quick movements (possibly with an unlit flashlight in hand) during the confrontation is actually pretty reckless. Carrying a gun when there is the chance for a violent confrontation could just as easily be construed as prudence (I know at least a couple of property owners/managers in my area who do so)- what exactly is prudent about breaking and entering to squat? Ultimately it seems absurd that someone entering their property legally could be construed as a legal provocation against someone there illegally, regardless of how the parties are armed.

There was some evidence that the property owner was looking for a fight, that he had made statements in the past about how fed up he was with the burglaries, vandalism etc. and the inability of the police to do much about it. But there's also evidence that neighbors in the immediate area had been threatened by armed squatters so carrying a gun was probably prudent, especially for a 74 year old with few other options when it came to defending himself. Neither side is 100% clean on this one (which is probably why it received attention) but I agree the benefit of a reasonable doubt (say how someone could construe a raised arm with an unlit flashlight in the hand) should go to the person who is there legally.

What are you talking about. If it wasn't necessary to go in there, and he thought it was likely enough there would be an armed confrontation that he needed a gun, then going in there in the middle of the night wasn't prudent at all. Call the cops (let's assume for the sake of argument that the cops wouldn't just shoot everyone :v:).

I have a legal right to go into my workplace or into a warehouse that I own, but if I hear that someone has broken in, that doesn't give me the right to grab my gun and go play vigilante. Even putting the lives of the dead squatters aside here, this man could have very easily gone to jail with a different jury. Or he could have gotten himself killed if the squatters felt threatened, didn't know who he was, and shot first. Not seeking out situations where you might have to use a gun in self-defence is just basic expected prudence.

Defending yourself in your home at night from a break-in is one thing, but I give a pretty skeptical eye to people who arm up and go create an explosive situation where there's no good reason it has to be.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jun 2, 2015

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Dead Reckoning posted:

I’m surprised to see you of all people opposing the castle doctrine, since I’m pretty sure you took the opposite position in the gun control thread. That said, killing someone with no other witnesses has always been a pretty good way to get away with murder, but I don’t think we should shift the burden onto the accused in order to make sure no guilty person ever goes free.
The squatters instigated the confrontation by trespassing. The owner had every right to be there and doesn’t have to stay clear of his building at night because he knows it’s being illegally occupied. He also has no way of knowing that the meth users squatting in his building were unarmed. In fact, it’s a pretty reasonable for him to assume that they had the means to put his life in jeopardy.

I've never approved of castle doctrine. I don't have a problem with making people who kill in self defense sweat a little bit. When you dig down into the reasoning of a lot of pro-gun people, it really comes down to "but what if I kill somebody in what I think was self-defense, but I made a mistake?" Then go to prison, that's what.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

SedanChair posted:

I've never approved of castle doctrine. I don't have a problem with making people who kill in self defense sweat a little bit. When you dig down into the reasoning of a lot of pro-gun people, it really comes down to "but what if I kill somebody in what I think was self-defense, but I made a mistake?" Then go to prison, that's what.

But it's my right to protect myself, if I kill a few trick-or-treaters every once in a while I guess that's just the cost of my peace of mind. You know, this kind of thinking is almost... wait, isn't this the same argument police apologists use? Their job(home) is dangerous, can't fault them for killing every once in a while!

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jun 2, 2015

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Dead Reckoning posted:

It's a drat rare thing for me to be proud of my country. You just made me feel proud of Britain, I hope you are happy.

And yeah, you also are not allowed to keep a bat or anything else specifically around in case someone breaks in, because that would be mental. We have these things called "police" that will respond and arrive at the goddamn house and take the burgular away. Even if we don't you go down stairs, turn on some lights and usually any burgular is long gone. Because virtually no-one in this country is armed we don't have to worry about someone breaking in to kill and murder our families.

And if you kill an intruder it turns out that you will probably be sent to prison for a very long time because peoples lives matter more than you getting away with pissing about in a house with a gun and feeling "threatened".

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
You know, how long were the squatters squatting? If they were there long enough (usually around a month I think) and nobody told them to vacate the place they earned tenant's rights. Squatters actually have certain rights and if the property is very abandoned and obviously abandoned they had every right to be there. In fact in some areas it's perfectly legal to break into, occupy, and use a building that is abandoned. Use it long enough and it becomes yours.

What I'm saying is that if the guy was neglecting the building and not even watching it he is not within his rights to literally murder two people that were legally likely to be his tenants.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Here comes Bernie.

http://www.alternet.org/bernie-sanders-pledges-end-no-child-left-behind-shut-down-profit-prisons

quote:

Bernie Sanders Intends to Strike at Heart of Prison Industrial Complex

Sanders stakes out two more positions far to the left of Democratic party orthodoxy.

SANDERS: The answer is, yes, yes ,yes. Clearly one of the crises we face in our nation is that we have more people behind bars than any other country on earth […] China is a nation that is 3 or 4 times larger than us population wise, it is an authoritarian country Communist country, and we have far more people behind bars than does China. And what we do in our jails is we run a great educational system, we education people how to be even better criminals. So it seems to me that rather than spending huge amounts of money on jails and on private corporations who are incentivized to keep people in jail, it might make a lot more sense to spend money on job training and education so that people do not end up in jail in the first place. And yes I'm certainly in favor of comprehensive education reform.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

To be fair, pretty much everyone from Rand leftward says things like that. Even Obama did, and we see what outcomes we got from all those words.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Trabisnikof posted:

To be fair, pretty much everyone from Rand leftward says things like that. Even Obama did, and we see what outcomes we got from all those words.

One of those words is "education" used as a verb.

The political will to say that you want to fix prisoners to reintroduce them into society instead of have them publicly flogged forever because they smashed a window and stole a mouthful of bread will bury you in any jurisdiction on this continent. Can't be "soft on crime", like those filthy euros with their vacation prisons and miniscule incarceration & recidivism rates, you gotta punish them poors negroes subhumans.

Josef bugman posted:

And yeah, you also are not allowed to keep a bat or anything else specifically around in case someone breaks in, because that would be mental. We have these things called "police" that will respond and arrive at the goddamn house and take the burgular away. Even if we don't you go down stairs, turn on some lights and usually any burgular is long gone. Because virtually no-one in this country is armed we don't have to worry about someone breaking in to kill and murder our families.

And if you kill an intruder it turns out that you will probably be sent to prison for a very long time because peoples lives matter more than you getting away with pissing about in a house with a gun and feeling "threatened".

But if the police are minutes away and you only have seconds to deal with an intruder with a knife in your house then you'll need a gun to kill him, but if he knows you have a gun then he'll bring a gun to shoot you first because that's totally what burglars do is kill people all the time, so knowing that if you hear him set one foot on the driveway you blow that fucker away because of freedom.

You're applying perfectly sane gunless-country logic to a society in which it no longer applies.

Waco Panty Raid
Mar 30, 2002

I don't mind being a little pedantic.

VitalSigns posted:

What are you talking about. If it wasn't necessary to go in there, and he thought it was likely enough there would be an armed confrontation that he needed a gun, then going in there in the middle of the night wasn't prudent at all. Call the cops (let's assume for the sake of argument that the cops wouldn't just shoot everyone :v:).

I have a legal right to go into my workplace or into a warehouse that I own, but if I hear that someone has broken in, that doesn't give me the right to grab my gun and go play vigilante. Even putting the lives of the dead squatters aside here, this man could have very easily gone to jail with a different jury. Or he could have gotten himself killed if the squatters felt threatened, didn't know who he was, and shot first. Not seeking out situations where you might have to use a gun in self-defence is just basic expected prudence.

Defending yourself in your home at night from a break-in is one thing, but I give a pretty skeptical eye to people who arm up and go create an explosive situation where there's no good reason it has to be.
Lol you can't read intent into carrying a gun like that. Do you wear a seatbelt expecting "likely enough" to be in a car accident? Or do you wear one because it isn't a big deal and might be useful in the possibility of a car accident regardless how remote? Wearing a gun isn't that big of deal most places in this country.

Where does this duty to not enter property I own come from again? Sounds like you're getting pretty close to blaming victims here- wanting to secure your property from invasion and possible adverse possession is perfectly understandable (even if you think it may not be prudent (and I actually agree to a point- carrying a gun was prudent, entering the place probably wasn't even though it was his right).

But why are we only expecting prudence from the property owner again? Are the squatters incapable of it? They're the ones who got the ball rolling here and really they're the ones who created the "explosive situation" (a situation they had no right to create, unlike the property owner) in the first place- there wouldn't have been a confrontation had they not broken in and ignored the calls to come out (then acting in a manner that could be interpreted as aggressive when confronted didn't help).

Squatting doesn't deserve the death penalty, but simply carrying a gun while entering your property doesn't deserve a murder conviction either.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Umm pretty sure on top of just entering the property with a gun, it also included blasting some dudes.

Waco Panty Raid
Mar 30, 2002

Vahakyla posted:

Umm pretty sure on top of just entering the property with a gun, it also included blasting some dudes.
They're citing him having the temerity to enter his own property armed as evidence he was a vigilante murder house property owner instead of some old guy who killed in self defense.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
No, they're citing the fact that he killed them as further proof of that.

If he entered and was like "get out", we'd have no discussion.

We have no issues with police pulling people over. Blasting the driver with 8 shots in the back with a rifle.

"You don't want cops pulling people over!?@

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jun 2, 2015

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Are we talking about Wayne Burgarello? Cause that guy was acquitted of shooting those scary meth drug using strangers.

Waco Panty Raid
Mar 30, 2002

Vahakyla posted:

No, they're citing the fact that he killed them as further proof of that.

If he entered and was like "get out", we'd have no discussion.
Killing someone isn't necessarily a crime like murder, it's the context around the killing that determines that. No one debating if he shot and killed someone.

And according to him he did yell "get out" several times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Waco Panty Raid posted:

Lol you can't read intent into carrying a gun like that. Do you wear a seatbelt expecting "likely enough" to be in a car accident? Or do you wear one because it isn't a big deal and might be useful in the possibility of a car accident regardless how remote? Wearing a gun isn't that big of deal most places in this country.

Where does this duty to not enter property I own come from again? Sounds like you're getting pretty close to blaming victims here- wanting to secure your property from invasion and possible adverse possession is perfectly understandable (even if you think it may not be prudent (and I actually agree to a point- carrying a gun was prudent, entering the place probably wasn't even though it was his right).

But why are we only expecting prudence from the property owner again? Are the squatters incapable of it? They're the ones who got the ball rolling here and really they're the ones who created the "explosive situation" (a situation they had no right to create, unlike the property owner) in the first place- there wouldn't have been a confrontation had they not broken in and ignored the calls to come out (then acting in a manner that could be interpreted as aggressive when confronted didn't help).

Squatting doesn't deserve the death penalty, but simply carrying a gun while entering your property doesn't deserve a murder conviction either.

Well, ordinarily we think of morality in terms of ends and means with the understanding that individuals with fewer available means have a diminished obligation to achieve the best possible ends (I'm explaining this to you as if you were a child because that's what you're acting like hth). Sure, technically, in some universes, under a very specific and highly questionable version of right and wrong, dying from exposure as a gesture of good will towards your fellow man both counts as both a noble sacrifice and a less irresponsible course of action than being a squatter, but it on no loving planet except the moon you live on is squatting more irresponsible than deliberately confronting and then executing squatters (ends) despite about a hundred different alternatives (means) available.

Like wow it's just super idiotic to accuse squatters of creating an "explosive" situation. They very worst thing they are guilty of could result in no worse an end than harm coming to themselves, so yes it's actually just a shitload more "prudent" or whatever than planning and executing an ambush on two people sleeping in a vacant home. Not to mention the fact that the very existence of a vacant home and two homeless people side by side is itself a from of (easily correctable) wrongdoing.

• Locked thread