Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

quote:

He said it was Cabinet's "come to Jesus moment".
I didn't know what this phrase meant in this context, found out it won Forbes' 2013 "Most Annoying Business Expression On Earth" award.

Hope this means another spill in is in the works. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Everyone's a bit of a duckhead if you really think about it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lizard Combatant posted:

Is there an opposite to this condition, where recorded whispering (particularly that breathy fake crap in ads) elicits a negative response? Cause I have that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misophonia ?

Also what the gently caress is a come to jesus moment?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

SynthOrange posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misophonia ?

Also what the gently caress is a come to jesus moment?

quote:

to experience or display a conversion or recommitment to Christianity or to undergo a related ritual, especially public confession of one's sins or weaknesses.
to become committed or display commitment to a cause.

Its annoying business lingo. also utterly failed as the come to Jesus moment telling them to stop leaking was leaked. So he fell flat on his face.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

i knew the salvos were utter cunts wonderfully devout christians in that area but was unaware that vinnies pursued it as a matter of policy

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Tell your friend to dress is a really unconvincing male outfit, complete with huge false moustache and belt buckle and cowboy boots.

It's hosed that people have to dress up as something they're not in order to get help from so called charities.

EDIT: "Howdy howdy howdy, how about that sports and beer. I drank a lot of that, lied to have sex with a woman then disrespected her the next day. My huge hairy testicles sure are itchy."

hooman fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jun 2, 2015

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Jintor posted:

i knew the salvos were utter cunts wonderfully devout christians in that area but was unaware that vinnies pursued it as a matter of policy
I'd love more info on the vinnies connection because I do charity work for them and one of the local conference comes in every morning for coffee, letting me tear him a new one over it around 9:30am tomorrow if I have some facts to deal with.

Anyway, in unrelated news about people getting hosed over by right wing shitheels: A greenie wrote a thing.

NSW poles and wires privatisation ignores the technology revolution

quote:

A NSW parliamentary inquiry will table its findings into the Baird government’s proposal to privatise the state’s distribution and transmission assets on Tuesday.

Just a week before the inquiry began last month, US electric vehicle manufacturer Tesla released details of its home, business and utility-scale batteries.

The two events are inextricably linked and are, between them, game changers for the energy and economic future of this state

For a tranche of remote households, the cost-effectiveness of standalone power based on batteries and solar panels has arrived. While small enough to mount on a suburban garage wall, Tesla’s home Powerwall unit packs a punch with the capacity to store a day’s worth of generation from a typical 1.5 kilowatt solar installation.

For all households with north-facing roofs and access to a few thousand dollars, the point at which grid connection becomes more expensive than going it alone is expected by most commentators to arrive within the next three years, if it has not already.

Despite being excluded from the terms of reference for the inquiry, this sea change of technology has two inescapable consequences for the Baird government’s privatisation scheme.

First, the corporate owners of the grid leases will not want to forgo profit to reconfigure their infrastructure to allow local trading of electricity. To create opportunities to maximise the value of rooftop solar and batteries, interconnections between households and between communities will need to become smart links that allow two-way flows of energy, supported by high-quality information exchange.

Together with wind power and large-scale solar, a reconfigured and reinvented electricity grid could become the backbone of a lower cost, zero emissions future.

None of this would suit the profit model of the private owners who would be in a position to frustrate most of the changes. They could simply refuse to make the capital investments needed to transform the grid from a one-way highway from large fossil-fuel power stations to household into a market place for house-to-house and community-to-community energy trading.

The loss of public ownership takes away the capacity of this government – and future state governments – to direct grid operators to make decisions that advance the best interests of the community at the expense of profits.

Just as cost-effective battery storage technology emerges, the NSW government is pushing hard to flog off the lever that puts the state in the best possible position to lead the world in its uses and benefits.

The economy would consequently miss the boat on the employment and innovation boom that the early adopter states and nations will enjoy.

There is a second way in which the Tesla announcement impinges on the Baird government’s so-called asset recycling scheme.

Unless the leases, licences and other agreements create penalties and barriers to stop consumers disconnecting from the grid and providing for their own electricity needs, there will be many households who will cut the ties and go it alone with batteries and storage.

Electricity grids in Australia are regulated on the basis of efficient cost recovery. Under current regulatory practice, the total revenue transmission and distribution utilities can extract from their customers would be affected by a reduction in the number of connections.

As one group of consumers desert the system, the costs of keeping the network running and paying profits to the leaseholders would fall on fewer and fewer users, thus encouraging yet more disconnections.

The economic death spiral would then dump an increasing proportion of the burden of cost of maintaining and upgrading the network onto renters, apartment dwellers and those without access to the capital needed to purchase solar and battery technologies.

Under the Baird government’s proposed lease, the private owners could become the modern-day equivalent of slum landlords in energy ghettos, ripping profits and cost recovery out of those who can least afford to pay.

The human and social consequences of removing the protection that public ownership offers are alarming. There is a real risk that a new class of energy poverty will emerge.

Even those who can afford to go it alone will be paying more for their energy than if they could share resources with their neighbours and other communities through a modern, reconfigured grid.

NSW faces a very stark set of energy choices.

The Baird government is pushing ahead with a model that ignores the consequences of the technology revolution. The uptake of energy storage is inevitable but, at best, privatisation will make it harder and more costly to protect the most vulnerable from the consequences. At worst, a privately-owned grid could create an economic and social disaster.

The alternative, supported by the Greens and others who embrace the opportunities created by new technology, is to maintain public ownership and use it to ensure that the grid becomes the centre of a clean energy revolution that protects and engages with low-income households and renters.

That choice will be made when the NSW Upper House decides on the Baird government’s privatisation legislation.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
Anyone here done temping in Adelaide and know a good agency/have general advice? I'd rather a permanent position position but the job market is garbage right now and I don't want to deplete my savings too much so temping seems like a good idea until I find something.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Australian customs turned back 65 people, including a pregnant woman, after their boat reached Australian waters last Tuesday, according to an Indonesian police chief.

The 65 people from Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Myanmar, who reportedly claimed to be asylum seekers, are in detention on the Indonesian island of Rote.

Fishermen spotted two boats floating near Landuti island in the West Rote district, 500 kilometres north-east of the Australian coast, on Sunday.

"They looked exhausted," Rote police chief Hidayat said. "One female passenger is pregnant – we took her immediately to the hospital but she is ok now."

Mr Hidayat said the migrants told him they had been caught by Australian customs on May 26, who sunk their boat. They were put in two blue and white boats, and sent back into Indonesian waters.

"The Australians provided them with food, drinks and sufficient fuel to reach Indonesian land," Mr Hidayat said.

He said the passengers included four women and three toddlers. Of the 65, 54 were from Sri Lanka, 10 from Bangladesh and one from Myanmar.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Oh yeah, this is me all over (minus the arousal/mimicry aspects :wtc:)

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Pickled Tink posted:

Anyway, in unrelated news about people getting hosed over by right wing shitheels: A greenie wrote a thing.

NSW poles and wires privatisation ignores the technology revolution

John Kaye is A Good MP and you should read this

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I can't wait for the free market to block Tesla batteries for ~reasons~.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Anidav posted:

I can't wait for the free market to block Tesla batteries for ~reasons~.

Look the free market always knows what's best, and we need to trust it's wise divine instruction and slash the minimum wage.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Someday we will have affordable electric cars.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

New citizens must learn English: MP
A federal government backbencher wants all new Australian citizens to speak English.

As the coalition considers stripping citizenship from dual nationals involved in terrorism, Victorian Liberal MP Sharman Stone is reigniting calls for compulsory English skills for prospective citizens.

Ms Stone has told ABC radio a number of women in her electorate of Murray are expected to be seen and not heard, and making language skills compulsory will help them get out of their homes.

chyaroh
Aug 8, 2007

Anidav posted:

A federal government backbencher wants all new Australian citizens to speak English.

As the coalition considers stripping citizenship from dual nationals involved in terrorism, Victorian Liberal MP Sharman Stone is reigniting calls for compulsory English skills for prospective citizens.

Ms Stone has told ABC radio a number of women in her electorate of Murray are expected to be seen and not heard, and making language skills compulsory will help them get out of their homes.

As long as the govt is going to throw money and resources at it, then I can't see....sorry, I don't think I can continue saying that with a straight face.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The halal inquiry submissions are pouring in.

http://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Committees/Senate/Economics/Food_Cert_Schemes/Submissions

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jun 2, 2015

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

chyaroh posted:

As long as the govt is going to throw money and resources at it, then I can't see....sorry, I don't think I can continue saying that with a straight face.

I got as far as 'free and readily available' before the thought trailed off into a fart noise.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

QUACKTASTIC posted:

I got as far as 'free and readily available' before the thought trailed off into a fart noise.

Comic Sans.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
A topic near to the hearts(mouths) of many posters here:

quote:

Temporary urinals to stem flow of public urination at Surfers Paradise

Temporary urinals will be rolled into the Gold Coast's nightclub precinct again this Christmas to stem the flow of public urination.

Last year, one of the open-air urinals collected 600 litres of urine which could have otherwise hit the streets or shop fronts at Surfers Paradise.

The program will be repeated until the Gold Coast City Council finds a permanent solution.

Councillor Lex Bell said the temporary toilets would be brought in about midnight and leave about five hours later.

The temporary urinals, which originally offered little privacy, sparked public outrage last Christmas until modesty screens were added.

Nevertheless, they proved effective.

"One weekend one of those public toilets took 600 litres of urine that otherwise would have flowed into the footpath so it was quite effective," Cr Bell said.

"Now we can get around that in a much more acceptable manner by putting toilets on the back of a truck but we want something more permanent, we don't want to be putting temporary [urinals in] forever in central Surfers Paradise."

Cr Bell said the council had half a million dollars to spend on a new toilet block but a suitable site was yet to be found.

He said the permanent toilets, which would be open day and night, needed to be fairly visible and within the "stagger zone" of nightclub patrons in Orchid Avenue.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-06-02/temporary-urinals-to-stem-the-flow-of-urine-at-surfers-paradise/6514848

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

i got banned posted:

I have a trans friend who has been denied help by st vinnies and the salvation army after being evicted out of her accommodation due to drug problems with her room mate

how cool is Australia

i drove her to an emergency place that would house her for one night and lent her $70 bucks but I cant let her stay in my room due to my room mates being uncool with that.

Any advice goons?

She was literally being spat on by people in the street in the city because she looked weird in the pouring rain the other night and I was the only person that was abler to help her because all her other "friends" are drug addicted fucks that use people for their own gain and are gently caress heads.

But there's only so much I can do, I'm poor myself.

So basically a human being has been denied help because she doesn't identify as male, by "christian" institutions run to help people. This country is a joke.

And you know the worst part? You can't take this to media institutions because most of them would be OK with it. I actually feel kind of helpless, I can't even imagine how she is feeling right now :(

Both the Salvos and St Vinnies have serious non discrimination policies when it comes to providing aid and services as well as employment and membership. If she's being discriminated against purely because of her sex then get her to escalate her issue above the local society because that poo poo is not on.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

drat, 600 litres would last Auspol at least a fortnight.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Anidav posted:

I'd like to see this offered to new citizens once they're here as a "nice to have".

My grandmother-in-law is Ukranian and when they all moved over here (her husband and a large number of their community) they stayed in Ukranian communities, went to their own church, even have their own bank. Now she's in her 90's and her closest friends and relatives have passed on but she can't speak word 1 of English and relies on family to do a lot of stuff for her that she could do if she'd just learnt English in the first place.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Mad Katter posted:

drat, 600 litres would last Auspol at least a fortnight.

Counter-point:

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I come furiously to Jesus.

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED
Voted 5 for ScreamingLlama's meltdown.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Anidav posted:

Someday we will have unaffordable electric cars.

ftfy

There is no future but the capitalist hellscape

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Endman posted:

ftfy

There is no future but the capitalist hellscape wasteland

EDIT: All shiny and chrome.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I'd like to see this offered to new citizens once they're here as a "nice to have".

My grandmother-in-law is Ukranian and when they all moved over here (her husband and a large number of their community) they stayed in Ukranian communities, went to their own church, even have their own bank. Now she's in her 90's and her closest friends and relatives have passed on but she can't speak word 1 of English and relies on family to do a lot of stuff for her that she could do if she'd just learnt English in the first place.

You can get up to 510 hours of English classes for free as a new migrant but I don't think it's compulsory but most of the skilled migration visas now require some level of English competency.

Having said that, as the child of parents who entered when the requirements were non-existant/laxer, I wish their grasp of English was better.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Ragingsheep posted:

You can get up to 510 hours of English classes for free as a new migrant but I don't think it's compulsory but most of the skilled migration visas now require some level of English competency.

See, this sounds sufficient to me. Forcing people is just going over the top, and in a move to end terrorism goes in the opposite direction - it just make us seem more like facists.

Ragingsheep posted:

Having said that, as the child of parents who entered when the requirements were non-existant/laxer, I wish their grasp of English was better.

:hfive:

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

hooman posted:

EDIT: All shiny and chrome.

I'm looking forward to what happens when the environmentalists get their wish and have to spend the next hundred years protesting lithium mining.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

MysticalMachineGun posted:

See, this sounds sufficient to me. Forcing people is just going over the top, and in a move to end terrorism goes in the opposite direction - it just make us seem more like facists.

:hfive:

Pay the Newstart allowance for doing the course/or comp their employer for letting them off 2-3 hours a week to attend.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Splode posted:

I'm looking forward to what happens when the environmentalists get their wish and have to spend the next hundred years protesting lithium mining.

Turns out that fighting environmental exploitation through consumption of "ethical" goods is inherently flawed, unbeknownst to most bourgeois environmentalists.

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011

Why lump the second in with the other two? From that excerpt it just looks like they are arguing against live export and the exploitation of animals. Sure it's pretty weird with the blood virgins and Jesus but it's nothing offensive like the other two.

I really don't understand why so many greens don't even think the issues of animal welfare and over consumption of meat are worth talking about. Cattle farming is one of the biggest environmental disasters of all yet it's barely brought up in any greens circles. Reducing the consumption of meat is one of the most important steps society needs to take in moving to a more sustainable future. That's even ignoring the obviously disgusting abuse of the animals bred for meat. I know they have some policies on animal welfare but there doesn't seem to be any widespread acknowledgement of how hosed our meat situation is.

No I am not a member of peta I think they have done a fair bit of harm to the awareness of animal abuse.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

The Greens have spoken out against live export a bunch of times. http://greensmps.org.au/live-animal-exports

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Splode posted:

heh, I bet they're all millennials too :smug: heh

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011

open24hours posted:

The Greens have spoken out against live export a bunch of times. http://greensmps.org.au/live-animal-exports

Oh yeah I know they've spoken out about live exports, I just mean about Australia's meat consumption in general and how we allow factory farming here. I follow a lot of the greens on Facebook and there is the occasional live export post or recently the greyhound racing posts. I've never seen anything said about meat consumption and factory farming, NZ banned animal testing for cosmetics and recognised in law that animals are sentient beings. Shouldn't we try to be applying that here? I don't think I've seen a single mention of it in Australia outside of animals australia but it was a massive step in the right direction. I understand meat consumption is the elephant in the room for environmentalists but banning animal testing and closing down factory farms are pretty popular. NZ also has essentially banned live export for years seemingly without any issues so I feel there should really be a stronger push here.

Obviously we have trouble with not locking up and torturing children in this country so it may be a big ask but it's still another incredibly hosed issue we allow here and it should have a bigger focus.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

tomkash posted:

Oh yeah I know they've spoken out about live exports, I just mean about Australia's meat consumption in general and how we allow factory farming here. I follow a lot of the greens on Facebook and there is the occasional live export post or recently the greyhound racing posts. I've never seen anything said about meat consumption and factory farming, NZ banned animal testing for cosmetics and recognised in law that animals are sentient beings. Shouldn't we try to be applying that here? I don't think I've seen a single mention of it in Australia outside of animals australia but it was a massive step in the right direction. I understand meat consumption is the elephant in the room for environmentalists but banning animal testing and closing down factory farms are pretty popular. NZ also has essentially banned live export for years seemingly without any issues so I feel there should really be a stronger push here.

Obviously we have trouble with not locking up and torturing children in this country so it may be a big ask but it's still another incredibly hosed issue we allow here and it should have a bigger focus.

Banning factory farming would probably be a good idea if we also banned the import of food produced in factory farms overseas, but that's not going to happen and there's an argument to made that it's easier to ensure animal welfare on Australian farms than it is on overseas ones.

Macropiper
Feb 11, 2007

Pillbug

tomkash posted:

NZ did have to bribe a Saudi businessman to get a supposed fair trade agreement with several countries in the region done recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Soon we will have cars that run off bad posting and never have to worry about petrol prices ever again.

• Locked thread