Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Ungratek posted:

But this makes sense

Spurs finished above Liverpool and will have a bigger stadium before they do. They also have a manager that's not a big fail Brent-esque idiot with a face that wouldn't look out of place on a Dr Who alien of the week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

sebzilla posted:

Who was the last striker to score lots of goals for a poo poo (let's say bottom-half) Premier League team and actually make the step up to scoring even more goals for a not poo poo (top 6ish) team?

Anelka

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Michael Krohn-Dehli to Sevilla on a free transfer is done.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Ninpo posted:

Spurs finished above Liverpool and will have a bigger stadium before they do. They also have a manager that's not a big fail Brent-esque idiot with a face that wouldn't look out of place on a Dr Who alien of the week.

Have you thought that Ings might not be very bright? Or maybe Liverpool are overvaluing him (which, is probably the case since he's British) and are willing to pay him more in wages. Or maybe Ings is weirded out by Pochettino's inconsistent use of a translator.

Regardless of whether Rodgers gets fired, expect to see a lot of doubling down on British "talent" by Liverpool. Even if Rodgers keeps his job, the guy is going to be under such obvious pressure that he won't be taking any risks on swarthy Johnny Foreigners. The same goes for the rest of the Transfer Committee, like Ayre.

Also, stats nuts seem to find tons of ways to justify money on British players and Liverpool's management is dominated by stats nuts.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
I don't believe Danny Ings is 22 years old, not for a second. He looks like he should be retiring from professional football, not just getting started. Did he start chain smoking at 12 or something?

Brony Car posted:

Have you thought that Ings might not be very bright? Or maybe Liverpool are overvaluing him (which, is probably the case since he's British) and are willing to pay him more in wages. Or maybe Ings is weirded out by Pochettino's inconsistent use of a translator.

Regardless of whether Rodgers gets fired, expect to see a lot of doubling down on British "talent" by Liverpool. Even if Rodgers keeps his job, the guy is going to be under such obvious pressure that he won't be taking any risks on swarthy Johnny Foreigners. The same goes for the rest of the Transfer Committee, like Ayre.

Also, stats nuts seem to find tons of ways to justify money on British players and Liverpool's management is dominated by stats nuts.
Which hardly makes sense, as Liverpool's domestic transfers have probably been worse than the foreign ones.

Soylent Green posted:

Remy and Ba to Newcastle doesn't quite meet your standards, but were big steps up in performance, Tevez to United probably?
Don't know if I'd call 7 goals for West Ham "lots of goals" but he got even better at United and then City, so I guess.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Ninpo posted:

They just barely did and Rodgers actually almost won the title last year which is closer than Tottenham will ever get.

I loving hate having to defend Rodgers all the time because I don't actually think he's that great but the amount of poo poo he gets is ridiculous. Him playing dudes out of position was a necessity as we had a bunch of injuries in the same positions and the players we did buy were clearly out of their depth.

Anyway I'm guessing it's down to wages really. We have cut back big time on huge wages but Spurs are even stricter than us I think. Plus Ings would literally have played every game this season had he been with us.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Ninpo posted:

liverpool are the bigger club. you'll never walk alone lads lets go Danny Ings!!!!!!!!!

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp

Ewar Woowar posted:

They just barely did and Rodgers actually almost won the title last year which is closer than Tottenham will ever get.

I loving hate having to defend Rodgers all the time because I don't actually think he's that great but the amount of poo poo he gets is ridiculous. Him playing dudes out of position was a necessity as we had a bunch of injuries in the same positions and the players we did buy were clearly out of their depth.

Anyway I'm guessing it's down to wages really. We have cut back big time on huge wages but Spurs are even stricter than us I think. Plus Ings would literally have played every game this season had he been with us.

How about he sign players that aren't poo poo?

Had a chance to sign Jackson Martinez for 5m pounds. What did you get? Baloteli and Origi?

gently caress off your transfers are all poo poo poo poo poo poo.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Is this that lovely colombian dude who posted the exercise .gifs? Hope so

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

African AIDS cum posted:

Is this that lovely colombian dude who posted the exercise .gifs? Hope so

He's the one that posted this lol

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

PerpetualSelf posted:

How about he sign players that aren't poo poo?

Had a chance to sign Jackson Martinez for 5m pounds. What did you get? Baloteli and Origi?

gently caress off your transfers are all poo poo poo poo poo poo.

I'm not sure how much say he has but I'm pretty sure he got reigned in a bit after signing Joe Allen and Borini for an excessive amount of money. He did buy Coutinho and Sturridge who have been fantastic for us, Sakho and Can are pretty handy too, but yeah, on the most part it's been pretty disappointing. Last summer was the worst as there was money to spend but rather than buy the right players that would fit in to how we play the 'transfer committee' spent it all on whatever was available. Balotelli was the worst as it was clear he doesn't fit at all and, to give Rodgers credit, he knew that was the case from the get go. Obviously he said nice things about him after he signed but he'd be a loving terrible (okay, worse) manager if he publicly abused him.

Where are you getting this five million figure from? This is the first I've heard of it.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Blue Star Error posted:

Hmm maybe he's alright after all

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Blue Star Error posted:

Wow.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Ewar Woowar posted:

I'm not sure how much say he has but I'm pretty sure he got reigned in a bit after signing Joe Allen and Borini for an excessive amount of money. He did buy Coutinho and Sturridge who have been fantastic for us, Sakho and Can are pretty handy too, but yeah, on the most part it's been pretty disappointing. Last summer was the worst as there was money to spend but rather than buy the right players that would fit in to how we play the 'transfer committee' spent it all on whatever was available. Balotelli was the worst as it was clear he doesn't fit at all and, to give Rodgers credit, he knew that was the case from the get go. Obviously he said nice things about him after he signed but he'd be a loving terrible (okay, worse) manager if he publicly abused him.

Where are you getting this five million figure from? This is the first I've heard of it.

Um, Sakho is loving terrible and has frequently been a liability all season. Your only decent defender is Skrtel.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

trem_two posted:

Michael Krohn-Dehli to Sevilla on a free transfer is done.

Is he the one Rooney likes?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Rodgers said he wouldn't sign any Swansea players and then he took Allen and bought him a matching outfit.

Rodgers said 'till death do us part' and then left his wife and got a Scouse girlfriend.

Liverpool has corrupted him.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

vyelkin posted:

I'm pretty sure he just scored more goals for a relegated side than all of Liverpool's strikers put together, so even if he isn't good enough he's still an upgrade and for cheap too, leaving more money available to spend on the many other positions that need to be strengthened, including more strikers.

Kevin Phillips scored loads of goals for diddy clubs and he was crap

The Big Taff Man fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jun 2, 2015

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Insanely Sikh posted:

You can shove your sympathy up your arse, you slag!

My sympathy just scored more goals for a relegated side than all of Liverpool's strikers put together, so even if he isn't good enough he's still an upgrade and for cheap too, leaving more money available to spend on the many other positions that need to be strengthened, including more players like Charlie Adam.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Ninpo posted:

Um, Sakho is loving terrible and has frequently been a liability all season. Your only decent defender is Skrtel.

Nah Sakho is good, he just looks awkward. His passing is great and he's a solid defender. He does tend to make a bad mistake every now and then but he's probably our best defender when fit. We had our best run with Skrtel, Can and Sakho as a back three but it all fell apart when the latter was injured and Lovren was re-introduced.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Ewar Woowar posted:

Nah Sakho is good, he just looks awkward. His passing is great and he's a solid defender. He does tend to make a bad mistake every now and then but he's probably our best defender when fit. We had our best run with Skrtel, Can and Sakho as a back three but it all fell apart when the latter was injured and Lovren was re-introduced.

He made as many defensive errors as Can, a literal Not Defender, in far fewer appearances.

Myssu
Sep 19, 2012

Ninpo posted:

He made as many defensive errors as Can, a literal Not Defender, in far fewer appearances.

Sakho has got potential, and has been improving a lot on his consistency this year. He's still pretty young, so I think he'll be alright. The main thing is for him to learn that sometimes its ok to hoof a ball out of danger instead of playing out from the back.

I like Can, I think he's a very useful player. He might even turn into a really good player, if he gets a decent run at playing one position. He did ok as a defender, but the reason I wouldn't like to see him there long term is not the number of defensive errors made, its the lack of positional discipline. It's clearly not his natural position, and he has a tendency to leave gaps in the defence.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
"Potential" has consistently proven to be the worst investment.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Sakho is pretty good except for his inevitable huge fuckup every match.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

sassassin posted:

"Potential" has consistently proven to be the worst investment.

The game in hand of transfers.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Chelsea bought Nemanja Matic because he had "potential" and ended up selling him for peanuts to the Portugese league when it inevitably didn't work out.

A few years later they bought a proven defensive midfielder for big bucks and won a title.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Myssu posted:

Sakho has got potential, and has been improving a lot on his consistency this year. He's still pretty young, so I think he'll be alright.

He's 25, he's not exactly a developing youth prospect.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
I reckon any side in need of a good defender should just try to buy the maldini kid I figure its a decent gamble trying to pay for quality blood tho then again if that's what you need why not just call barcelona lol

Myssu
Sep 19, 2012

Ninpo posted:

He's 25, he's not exactly a developing youth prospect.

This is my fault, I have a debilitating condition where I forget that players age at a normal rate, which results in all players remaining the same age in my head as they were when they first came on my radar.

That said, he's not playing at youth level, he's the second best defender in a top six team with an admittedly slightly leaky defence. He's got some rough edges. Reminds me a bit of Skrtel from a couple of years back.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
All defenders are going to look like morons if they go long enough without sufficient coaching and without good midfield protection, which happens to be exactly what has been happening at Liverpool under Rodgers' watch. That's why I'd rather not rag on Lovren too much since someone like Pochettino knew how to get something from what he had rather than constantly throw his players under the bus every press conference.

Sakho has good passing ability and is strong and pretty good dealing with aerial threats. For what it's worth, he's quite good for the French team. Liverpool also have a better record with Sakho in the side than without him too. It's kind of like the Lucas situation. Everyone thinks he'a dogshit until he's gone and then you realize how much he was helping out.

Ninpo follows a club that doesn't self-destruct though, so I wouldn't expect him to need to see those distinctions.

Ewar Woowar posted:

Balotelli was the worst as it was clear he doesn't fit at all and, to give Rodgers credit, he knew that was the case from the get go. Obviously he said nice things about him after he signed but he'd be a loving terrible (okay, worse) manager if he publicly abused him.

Except Rodgers did start leaking to the press as early as October about how he never wanted Balotelli and how it was forced on him by this Transfer Committee.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2014/10/03/5152414/calculated-risk-balotelli-was-not-first-choice-rodgers

Balotelli has been a donkey, but come on. That's not man-management:

THATCHER BRAINWASH
Mar 28, 2015

by Cowcaster

Ewar Woowar posted:

nice meltdown

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Brony Car posted:

That's why I'd rather not rag on Lovren too much since someone like Pochettino knew how to get something from what he had rather than constantly throw his players under the bus every press conference.

I've never seen Rodgers throw his players under the bus. I've only seen him talk about how his players are "magical" and mischaracterize their defeats as good performances.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Brony Car posted:

All defenders are going to look like morons if they go long enough without sufficient coaching and without good midfield protection, which happens to be exactly what has been happening at Liverpool under Rodgers' watch. That's why I'd rather not rag on Lovren too much since someone like Pochettino knew how to get something from what he had rather than constantly throw his players under the bus every press conference.

Sakho has good passing ability and is strong and pretty good dealing with aerial threats. For what it's worth, he's quite good for the French team. Liverpool also have a better record with Sakho in the side than without him too. It's kind of like the Lucas situation. Everyone thinks he'a dogshit until he's gone and then you realize how much he was helping out.

Ninpo follows a club that doesn't self-destruct though, so I wouldn't expect him to need to see those distinctions.

Except Rodgers did start leaking to the press as early as October about how he never wanted Balotelli and how it was forced on him by this Transfer Committee.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2014/10/03/5152414/calculated-risk-balotelli-was-not-first-choice-rodgers

Balotelli has been a donkey, but come on. That's not man-management:

Admittedly I can only comment on the matches I've watched where Sakho has always seemed to make massive gently caress ups leading to chances or goals. I never thought Lucas was poo poo.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

blue footed boobie posted:

I've never seen Rodgers throw his players under the bus. I've only seen him talk about how his players are "magical" and mischaracterize their defeats as good performances.

Two posts above yours.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Signing Milner would be a coup for Liverpool, but isn't he almost the exact same player as Henderson? I guess they can play next to each other in front of a DM or a little deeper with Coutinho behind the striker.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Milner is at least twice as good as Henderson.

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Eau de MacGowan posted:

He's just a poor man's Park Ji Sung.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
Is Milner actually a good player? Or do people like him because he runs and runs all match

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Is Milner actually a good player? Or do people like him because he runs and runs all match

Yes

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

He's been quality since his time at Newcastle, plus he's versatile which is useful - every team needs it's John O'Shea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myssu
Sep 19, 2012

Eau de MacGowan posted:

I think Henderson is actually better but I think that together they'll make a really solid central midfield. I do hope that Liverpool hang on to Lucas though, unless they can replace him with someone consistently better, which I doubt.

Mmm, just thinking about this is making me want to break out the code tags.

• Locked thread