Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Question from a customer point of view, is it worse to ask for an addition to a menu item or just to remove a specific ingredient? Logically I would assume "Oh, they make it in steps, I can just ask that step 5 be omitted" but I get the feeling that it might be just as bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

pentyne posted:

Question from a customer point of view, is it worse to ask for an addition to a menu item or just to remove a specific ingredient? Logically I would assume "Oh, they make it in steps, I can just ask that step 5 be omitted" but I get the feeling that it might be just as bad.

Yeah. Also no. It is never wrong to ask, But some items can not be removed or added due to reasons beyond method of cooking. From not having the ingredient, to not having the infrastructure to deal with the food cost change or the actual hardware to cook something in a certain way.

Let's say you come in to my restaurant and sit down and order one of our signature items, duck sliders or whatever. You want me to remove the sriracha cole slaw. Sure no problem. I can do that. Let's say you want me to make it regular slaw, or you want the duck to be braised in a different sauce. That probably won't fly.

Let's say you want an addition of sautéed mushrooms. That can be iffy. What if I don't carry mushrooms. What if I do not have a POS that will allow me to account for the food cost, among other things. It's not that it is a bad kitchen, or that doing that little extra thing for you sucks and we hate you (we don't, I promise) it's that it is something we are not set up for.

Never ever not ask for what you want. But don't get salty and let that ruin your night.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Secret Spoon posted:

Never ever not ask for what you want. But don't get salty and let that ruin your night.

Okay, that makes a lot of sense. I kind of assumed that a major part of the dish was the combination of all the flavors and saying something like "don't add garlic" would pretty much ruin the flavor. Asking for a topping/condiment to not be added seems like a really easy thing to omit. As a corollary, if I order a steak cooked rare and I get it clearly medium, is asking for a new steak going to get me terrible service? I know the "cook it well done" means it gets burnt to a crisp or tossed in the microwave but I've never really seen anyone talk about the reverse.

When I say "rare" I mean maybe 1/8th of an inch of cooking when I slice it down and cool blood red meat on the inside. Many steakhouses I've been to cook it very close to medium when I ask for rare and I feel like a dick for telling them "no, I want it rare throw this away and fire a new one". The fancier the steakhouse the more likely I am to get it done right but I always felt like lecturing the server and telling them specifically how to cook it makes me look like a prick. I just recently learned that the phrase "blue" means as rare as legally possible to sell for human consumption but I haven't had a chance to use it yet.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I always just tell my server "As rare as you feel comfortable serving it" and then if it comes out not rare I just make a note, but almost never send it back. I know as a server I always want to know if a guest isn't satisfied, but as a diner it's almost never worth the hassle.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

pentyne posted:

Okay, that makes a lot of sense. I kind of assumed that a major part of the dish was the combination of all the flavors and saying something like "don't add garlic" would pretty much ruin the flavor. Asking for a topping/condiment to not be added seems like a really easy thing to omit. As a corollary, if I order a steak cooked rare and I get it clearly medium, is asking for a new steak going to get me terrible service? I know the "cook it well done" means it gets burnt to a crisp or tossed in the microwave but I've never really seen anyone talk about the reverse.

When I say "rare" I mean maybe 1/8th of an inch of cooking when I slice it down and cool blood red meat on the inside. Many steakhouses I've been to cook it very close to medium when I ask for rare and I feel like a dick for telling them "no, I want it rare throw this away and fire a new one". The fancier the steakhouse the more likely I am to get it done right but I always felt like lecturing the server and telling them specifically how to cook it makes me look like a prick. I just recently learned that the phrase "blue" means as rare as legally possible to sell for human consumption but I haven't had a chance to use it yet.

Don't add garlic can be difficult; wanting a rare steak should not be an issue. As long as you know what temp you mean when you ask for one, it is totally on the server/kitchen to provide that for you. And, unfortunately, even if you don't know what temp you mean. Don't be afraid to get what you want. I, as a service professional, want you to get what you want.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Reiz posted:

I worked at a place where BoH staff meal every night is 1 item from the menu under $10 (they credited you $10 if it went over), and and $1 beer/well liquor. It was pretty cool -- I don't drink, but it created a nice atmosphere in the kitchen where everyone was really chill and helped everybody else close, even the dishwasher, so they could all sit on the patio and eat/drink at 1am.

To be honest I'd be surprised if your direct managers ever actually saw the results of the survey. For compliance/liability reasons, that seems like something that the HR department and the area directors (or similar) are going to be looking at, and then asking your direct managers why so many people are pissed off. Granted, that doesn't mean you can't (or wont) be fired for it, as we all know, but I think you're probably putting way too much stock into it. Most likely it gets compiled into a series of pie charts by somebody who sits at a desk and only exists to compile numbers into pie charts, then it gets pasted into a series of powerpoint presentations that are ultimately ignored or barely acknowledged by bored executives. Assuming you work at a chain, anyway.

FIrstly, that is an awesome thing and not something I ever imagined actually happening anywhere. It would be really hard to not be chill/helpful when you're getting a free well liquor every night.

Your summary is probably right, unfortunately. And really, even IF it would set positive changes in motion, it would be potentially screwing some good people as well as bad; after over a year in a borderline-lawsuit harassment environment, it's amazing it's only taken 6 months to nearly forget how preferable and insignificant my current frustrations are by comparison.

quote:

The bar is also really, really loving low for "generic manager at generic chain" so if you are even halfway competent you are already better than 80% of the talent pool. At PF Chang's I understand we paid the kitchen manager and general manager quite well (~80k), and the sous chefs and floor/bar managers were 40-50ish (on the way lower end for sous chefs, though).

I worked at a Chang's for a bit, and got the impression that the management was generally well-compensated. I remember one busser making a sexist comment about the OP's "rich lawyer husband" and having to explain to him that she likely made close to if not more than any such husband. By comparison, they wanted one of the FoH managers to come to BoH as a sous for ~10% increase in salary or extra 10k/year, can't remember which, and he (wisely) laughed his way out of that meeting. You would have to be insane to go from 50 hours a week BSing with guests, managing servers, and seeing your family to slaving 70-80 hours in a kitchen for such a tiny increase. Then again, I've seen managers turn down pay increases to avoid going back to managing servers so I guess part of it depends on personal tastes regarding which brand of masochism you prefer. As a rule, I would never go from hourly to salary unless it was guaranteed to balance out to a profitable (for me) increase in effective hourly pay. Otherwise it's literally taking a pay cut to work harder.

Re: Ordering food, there's nothing wrong with asking for modifiers as long as you're not trying to create an entirely new Frankendish based on your favorite ingredients from six different menu items. If you can be reasonably accommodated, you probably will be.

Or you can order a Frankendish, alter one ingredient once it's delivered, repeat three times before deigning to bestow your acceptance upon said dish, do this every single time you come in, and leave all of your plates/glasses/silver on the floor when your server shows the slightest bit of irritation.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The Maestro posted:

Don't add garlic can be difficult; wanting a rare steak should not be an issue. As long as you know what temp you mean when you ask for one, it is totally on the server/kitchen to provide that for you. And, unfortunately, even if you don't know what temp you mean. Don't be afraid to get what you want. I, as a service professional, want you to get what you want.

Shockingly, some of the best rare steaks I've gotten have been from Outback, mostly because the servers will always specifically ask me about a "rare" and I tell them blood-red which they seem to laugh about and make sure the chef knows. It would make sense at a chain place that for something like rare the servers would make sure the customer is sure because so many people order.

I've been to some expensive places where rare gets me a medium/medium-rare and the server tries to tell me its "rare" because that's how most people order a "rare" and then I'm paying $50 for a steak and I don't want to send it back with a complaint because I'll get the next one cooked while basted in spit.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Send that poo poo back. The nicer the place the higher the standards should be.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I can't remember the last time I was at a place that served steak and when asking you how you wanted your meat cooked, didn't reinforce it by giving a description of how you wanted it cooked (like if you said medium rare, they'd respond "so with a cool pink center?" or something to that effect).

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

pentyne posted:

Shockingly, some of the best rare steaks I've gotten have been from Outback, mostly because the servers will always specifically ask me about a "rare" and I tell them blood-red which they seem to laugh about and make sure the chef knows. It would make sense at a chain place that for something like rare the servers would make sure the customer is sure because so many people order.

I've been to some expensive places where rare gets me a medium/medium-rare and the server tries to tell me its "rare" because that's how most people order a "rare" and then I'm paying $50 for a steak and I don't want to send it back with a complaint because I'll get the next one cooked while basted in spit.

I tend to order my steaks blue. Outside of a couple rare exceptions, almost nobody will -actually- serve me a blue steak. Last place that did was a local hibatchi place, and goddamn it was good.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
For those of you who don't follow Serious Eats or live in Brooklyn and therefore care about a BBQ joint in Bushwick, I submit the following; http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/06/surviving-restaurant-off-season.html

Part of me is like, cool guy, good luck getting a non-traditional resto off the ground in 2015 NYC. That poo poo is hard, no question. Then I read his articles and I want to smack him in the dick with a hammer.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Send that poo poo back. The nicer the place the higher the standards should be.

100% this. Where I work, an under cooked or over cooked steak is probably the servers fault. That said I did get one blue veal porterhouse when my guest asked for it medium. That was disappointing. I had to beg him to fix it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I love a good rare/blue steak, but sometimes when I'm at a not-so-good place I get one and it ends up being a bit too sinewy to eat that way. I'm never sure whether I should send it back to ask them to put it on for another minute or two. I for the life of me can't remember how I would have reacted had someone done that when I was on the grill - "yes, I know it's rare, yes, that's how I asked for it, but this particular piece of meat isn't very good and I would actually like it cooked medium rare to medium instead. No I don't want a different steak, just cook this one a bit longer to soften the tissues a bit more and I'll be perfectly happy to eat it...." sounds like it would come out of Woody Allen.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Some cuts just aren't tender when totally rare, e.g. ribeye. Doesn't mean it's low quality.

Also, regarding asking for rare and not getting it that way, Be Specific with your server. Seriously, tell them that you want it to be cool/raw most of the way through. As someone who's been in the kitchen cooking meat to temp, it makes it a lot easier when you know exactly what the guest wants instead of having to guess what they actually mean when they say "rare."

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

A good waiter should be getting that information from the guest in the first place full stop. If you go out and your waiter isn't reading back your temperature and telling you what its going to look like, they are doing it wrong.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Thoht posted:

Some cuts just aren't tender when totally rare, e.g. ribeye. Doesn't mean it's low quality.

Also, regarding asking for rare and not getting it that way, Be Specific with your server. Seriously, tell them that you want it to be cool/raw most of the way through. As someone who's been in the kitchen cooking meat to temp, it makes it a lot easier when you know exactly what the guest wants instead of having to guess what they actually mean when they say "rare."

And then some people order medium rare, it's explained, they want to look like a real steak eater so they confirm, then they send it back because they really want a hockey puck.

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Bear with me for a moment.
So today I got my salary offer and it's going to be 44k.

Today I also walked into work with a massive hangover from last night. I also blacked out so I have no clue how that happened.

I'd say I'm getting off to a good start on this manager thing.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Working 67 hours a week while 29 weeks pregnant with twins is both dumb and stupid. If I ever smell stock being simmered again, lamb especially, I'm probably going to power puke in a circle around the walk-in and then never return. Also I can't stop eating all the loving pickled beets we have for the salads. Can't. One of the weird aliens inside me needs all of them. NOW.

I should quit before I try this at 8 months right?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Errant Gin Monks posted:

And then some people order medium rare, it's explained, they want to look like a real steak eater so they confirm, then they send it back because they really want a hockey puck.

It took my girlfriend a few years to admit to this, but now she is a happy medium steak eater. Oddly enough, I often prefer her medium to my m-rare a lot of the time.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Reiz posted:

Food comp :words:

I actually recently went to a restaurant where on the dessert menu they have an option that for ~$5 or something you can buy a round for BoH after they close.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Anytime I go to a place that has the option for me to buy the kitchen a beer, I ask how many cooks are on staff that day and buy that many beers.

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009

fizzymercy posted:

Working 67 hours a week while 29 weeks pregnant with twins is both dumb and stupid. If I ever smell stock being simmered again, lamb especially, I'm probably going to power puke in a circle around the walk-in and then never return. Also I can't stop eating all the loving pickled beets we have for the salads. Can't. One of the weird aliens inside me needs all of them. NOW.

I should quit before I try this at 8 months right?

I have audited food manufacturing facilities across the country while pregnant. Some while barely pregnant-thanks morning sickness-and some while hugely 8 months pregnant-I'm talking to you sausage manufacturer! It all sucks. You can keep up but it definitely works your taste/smell boundaries. Stuff that I loved was terrible. Stuff I tolerated was just not happening. I feel your pain. Hormones are amazing and terrible all at the same time! Congrats on the little person. They are pretty great.

Roxy Rouge fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jun 3, 2015

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Opening day at the new place went alright. We didn't have our cold wells set up very well for lunch, so there was a lot of crossover between stations, which made things chaotic. We managed to find a bit of a flow by the end of the rush, but we've gotta get that poo poo fixed. Part of the problem is the way the kitchen's set up. The restaurant that originally inhabited our building had the ktichen set up by a businessman, not a chef, so it's all kinda fucky. Dinner service went better, but we had a little more experience with that from the soft open, and orders were more spread out. I got let out before closing with a free chorizo burger, and I'm happy. This is the first time that I've ever worked a job where I don't care that I can't see a clock/ don't know what time it is, because I'm cool with just working until whenever. I pounded out 11.5 hours, and felt better than I do after a 7.5 hour shift at the hospital. The more I/we get the hang of this, the better it's going to get.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

bloody ghost titty posted:

For those of you who don't follow Serious Eats or live in Brooklyn and therefore care about a BBQ joint in Bushwick, I submit the following; http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/06/surviving-restaurant-off-season.html

Part of me is like, cool guy, good luck getting a non-traditional resto off the ground in 2015 NYC. That poo poo is hard, no question. Then I read his articles and I want to smack him in the dick with a hammer.

There's lots of bbq in Brooklyn these days, what % is good, and is this guy included in that?

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Kimitsu posted:

So today I got my salary offer and it's going to be 44k.

Now divide by 52 and then by 60.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Simoom posted:

there's no such thing as achievements. no milestones, no victories, no landmarks. only darkness

this guy "gets it"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-q3bEuBUuU

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

pentyne posted:

Shockingly, some of the best rare steaks I've gotten have been from Outback, mostly because the servers will always specifically ask me about a "rare" and I tell them blood-red which they seem to laugh about and make sure the chef knows. It would make sense at a chain place that for something like rare the servers would make sure the customer is sure because so many people order. .

I worked with a dude who put in ~12 years at outback back starting in the early 90s when they had just opened and were exploding in popularity. The way he explained it to me, they use a series of flat top grills and have them set at specific temperatures so that "rare" is "far right grill" and they just need to hit a timer button for each steak or set of steaks that were dropped for X order. They also usually pulled them like ~15 seconds early if they were ordered rare just because it's easier to cook the steak up a little than it is to completely remake it, if necessary.

Also apparently there was one dude whose only job was to come in and making blooming onions for 9 hours a day. I've always liked learning about the specifics of restaurants and poo poo like that, to be honest. For example, I worked at a place for ~2 weeks where there was a station called "utility" and all you did was make baked loving potatos. There were like 30 ingredients for them on the menu so you had your own printer, your own window, and a series of ovens, holding trays, and 4-5 of those standing sheet pan racks just full of potatos.

They had some ridiculous loving language where an order would print out with like, "1 BAKED POTATO BPsCchTu" and you would need to decipher that poo poo into actual ingredients and have it in the window when the food was ready. Every dinner entree came with a baked potato with whatever you wanted on it. That's probably the single least enjoyable station I've ever worked in a restaurant.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Reiz posted:

They had some ridiculous loving language where an order would print out with like, "1 BAKED POTATO BPsCchTu" and you would need to decipher that poo poo into actual ingredients and have it in the window when the food was ready. Every dinner entree came with a baked potato with whatever you wanted on it. That's probably the single least enjoyable station I've ever worked in a restaurant.

That sounds a lot like Outback actually. The woman I married worked there briefly in FOH and the ticket hieroglyphics in the training material blew my mind.

Oh okay hi thread. I'm Shups and I'm a cook. Massive e/n post incoming.

I was in phone-based customer service for most of my life, and always had a knack for preparing food and always had a passion for creation that coalesced into an avid hobby as a home cook, later expanding to planning and executing menus for small groups of friends weekly, catering my own New Years Eve party, and trying my hand at as many different dishes I could find (though mostly those featured on Serious Eats if I'm being honest). Meanwhile I was going to a call center job that paid very well with fabulous benefits and hating the work, and myself, every second. I'd started having panic attacks and nonstop anxiety so it was no small relief when I was fired, and having read the PHIZ food thread and a previous incarnation of this thread (and, yes, KC), I resolved to get a job in BOH in my hometown of Omaha, Nebraska no matter what it was.

I updated my résumé to include fast food jobs I held nearly 20 years prior, using the opening paragraph to make a point of my love for food and passion for cooking though I knew it wasn't worth anything. I must have applied at 50 restaurants never aiming higher than dish or prep over the next year and a half while holding down the worst call center jobs I ever had (cold call sales and business info verification incidentally) and not one response. Job fairs for upscale fast food chains that were opening soon? Showed up in the heat of summer wearing a tie. Still nothing. I was on Craigslist every daytime hour of every day that I wasn't working (which was super easy since I was unemployed for much of it :v:) and was accepting that my lack of relevant experience was probably going to keep me out of the industry but I never gave up. I was a fool and I knew I was going to be completely out of my depth no matter what I did, but it didn't matter. It took until my mid-30s but I believed genuinely that it was what I wanted to do with my life.

Finally over a year after I decided this, I got a nibble from a place walking distance to me that just happened to be my wife's favorite restaurant. I immediately jumped on it and showed up for an interview the same day. The owner seemed to be trying to talk me out of working there, talking about the heat, the fact that I'd be making minimum wage to start, and I didn't waver in my resolve. I knew I wanted to work there more than just about anything else I had wanted to do in my life. She let me know later that day that she was in talks with someone who was already established and their level of experience trumped my ambition, but to check back in a few weeks. I waited exactly two weeks and checked back. She was clearly surprised to hear from me and re-stressed how hard it was and the low pay and I just asked when I could start.

That was May of 2014. I started on days wearing the button-down shirts and slacks I wore to work every day and a corporate swag baseball hat to keep my hair out of the food. The heat had been severely understated and throughout the summer my new normal was being drenched in sweat from head to knee while learning and cooking a menu with a vegetarian/vegan/gluten-free focus which I had virtually no experience doing. Within a few weeks of starting I was moved to nights full-time and was purely by default the head night cook. Nothing - not floors, not prep, not line, not dish, not lifting the massive plancha onto the indoor charcoal grill - nothing felt like work. It felt like home. The executive chef, former owner and cook of 40+ years became my mentor and I never felt bored or overwhelmed. Even when a climate change activism event came through and brought hundreds of people and nonstop tickets all night while our severely understaffed and wildly inexperienced crew banged it out so good that we let the owner know we were willing to stay late if the tickets kept coming in. I'll never forget that night and I'll love the other two cooks that went through that forever.

Unfortunately the business was always in trouble. I never made more than minimum wage and fell behind on a lot of bills, including things left over from being unemployed. The business "temporarily" closed in late November for "restructuring" (aka attempting to get a small business loan) before permanently closing in early December. I shaved my face and cut my hair, updated my rès, and then a magical thing happened: I had options. I had 2 concrete offers the first week after McFosters closed and a promising lead on a prep position at the hottest restaurant in the city. Ultimately I took the bar food job closer to my home (7 minute walk!) since after initially expressing interest Modern Love never got back to me (yes, it keeps me up some nights). So now I have 6 months' experience pushing out tons of food to hundreds of people as a nightly exercise. It's not cuisine (I don't even use a skillet. Ever. Just burgers, sandwiches, basic salads, etc) but I never stop learning or trying new things to make things run better, or look better. I'm confident on a grill and even get the opportunity to work Fest-style menus serving thousands several times a year. I also have access to one of the best craft beer bars in the country and I now have an education in beer that I'm drat proud of (thanks nightly shift drinks!). Plus I'm making money comparable to what I was making on the phones.

So yeah my life story in 5 paragraphs. I am an incredibly lucky bastard and I'll never let myself forget it. I do line, prep, dish, and whatever else comes up for as long as it takes. Someday I might pursue a culinary degree and I won't pretend that I'd not rather be making more interesting food at a more prestigious place, but I love my job and I'm happier than anyone that it turns out I have a knack for this poo poo. And before anyone asks, my alcoholism is functional at worst.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

replace phones with bullshit government job and this is pretty much my story too

Congratulations man. I'm glad you're happy, healthy, and enjoying yourself. Welcome to the thread.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
New lunch menu launched. Now I just need to get more lunch clients.

I'm doing wild boar tacos, tamarind ribs, honey fried chicken and other poo poo. I have been working on a crab dish. 3 inch corn tortillas, jalapeño cabbage salad (slaw) and crab claw meat with mango pico, avocado and smoked sea salt.

Slaw seems to be a bad word. So I use salad. The slaw isn't sweet, in fact it's cabbage, jalapeño, sour cream, lime juice and salt/pepper. No sweetness at all.

All the dish testers have enjoyed it. Oh well.

Chef de cuisinart come try this poo poo and destroy my pride. Also if anyone wants to get in on a new place with me let me know. I have 50k and need another 50 to open a new place in a very popular area of San Antonio.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Awesome stuff
Basically my story also, except I was trapped in the legal industry as a court clerk. One of my climbing partner's wife is a sous and offered me a job after we'd all been out for a night of drinking (typical!). I came in the next morning, filled out my app, and gave a fat middle finger to my judge. I work at a college dining hall, so not a restaurant, but it's pretty nice for a dining hall and we do quite a lot of business from people that just walk in, and we do a LOT of catering. We do everything from scratch, even stocks and demi. I proved myself pretty early and usually I am first pick of the cooks for all the fancy catering jobs, now. We're in no danger of winning awards, but I like my gig a lot and since it's corporate, I get pretty good bennies while still having a good deal of creative control over my menu.

And she lived happily ever after, the End.

Also hi, thread.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Chef de cuisinart come try this poo poo and destroy my pride. Also if anyone wants to get in on a new place with me let me know. I have 50k and need another 50 to open a new place in a very popular area of San Antonio.

My exec is is SA this weekend for a training seminar at CIA, I'll ask him to go by.

Have a photo of some confit

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Can you please break down that dish for me?

Being serious.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Do you usually par-roast sliced veg like that and then toss them on/into some kind of hot thing to heat for service? That was probably my least favorite part about my hotel job, felt like we were always par-doing everything. For example, I was excited that we might have to roll the non-flattop grill (usually referred to as "The Rock" - it has bars like a prison, also the restaurant industry and grill station specifically is a prison that you will never escape from) onto the line so we could appropriately char (with grill lines and poo poo) the sausages for some new sausage menu item.

Turns out we are just putting grill marks on them twice a week and then they're sitting in my cooler until they are ordered, then I toss them into a pan and put them in the oven for a few minutes. Or they go bad and I throw them out :(

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

It's duck leg confit, wild cherry compote, caramelized parsnip puree, baby carrots, and a bolete mushroom.

As for the veg, those are for a feature, so they get cooked to order. Our standard root veg is blanched ahead of time, tossed in butter and roasted to order.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

After a few months of being unemployed and sitting on my rear end, I just got my first industry job: civilian contractor doing KP at a military dining facility. Do... do these blisters on my feet eventually go away? And will I ever get used to the morning breath/rotting teeth smell our huge rear end industrial garbage disposals give off? :ohdear:

Seriously, though, after my first week, I'm liking the fast pace and being part of a well-oiled machine of a team; that sort of work suits me. (The $12/hr, paid holidays, health insurance, and union sure help too. :stare:) It's not like the mess halls you see in old war movies, we strive to be like a high-class cafeteria. Lots of varied food options (that taste quite good for mass-produced). A friend is a cook, that's how I got the job. They're actually encouraged to get a little creative, so you get little touches like garnishes and stuff, it's not poo poo-on-a-shingle chow. Though there is a big binder of how to do things properly. There's a milspec way to make a pb&j, if you can believe it.

gently caress "Smoothie Thursday" though; I'm trying to hose down my racks of plates before they go in the massive dishwasher (poo poo's bigger than my car and three times as loud), and the cooks kept coming into the dishroom and stealing my hose to wash their blenders, interrupting my flow. :mad:

I've considered a career shift into the industry for a while. I'd rather be cooking, but I've heard here and other places that the best way to get into BOH is to start as dishwasher, so here I am. If anyone else works dishwasher and/or institutional service like this, I'd love to hear your tips/stories.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

JacquelineDempsey posted:

After a few months of being unemployed and sitting on my rear end, I just got my first industry job: civilian contractor doing KP at a military dining facility. Do... do these blisters on my feet eventually go away?

Those will take a while but the screaming pain in your feet and legs will, fortunately, taper off after about a week.

Speaking of feet, is it weird I have one normal foot and another all calloused the gently caress up?

Republicans fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jun 5, 2015

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Seriously I have loving Trench Foot from working in this industry....

Wasn't even on the schedule today but said gently caress it and worked open to close. Made $300. So it wasn't that bad.

Take care of your feet!

yoober
Nov 21, 2010

JacquelineDempsey posted:

If anyone else works dishwasher and/or institutional service like this, I'd love to hear your tips/stories.

be thankful for your garbage disposal. let its smell remind you of what you do not have to pull out with your hands. also $12 good god I want in on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Honestly what works for me is to get cheap non slip shoes, and really expensive insoles. I am gellin like a felon and life is great.

• Locked thread