Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Heavy wheels do help stability in crosswinds. The slight additional aerodynamic drag from the solid wheel is well overcome by the massive angular momentum it provides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Harley wheels are great if you don't like being able to lift a wheel to put it on a tire machine and change a tire. If not being able to lift a wheel is your thing, I mean. It's not my thing.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Unsprung what now?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Harley wheels are great if you don't like being able to lift a wheel to put it on a tire machine and change a tire. If not being able to lift a wheel is your thing, I mean. It's not my thing.

Are they made of steel or something? Cause every bike wheel I've ever held has weighed a fraction of a car rim.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

revmoo posted:

Phew just got back from the worst ride since I bought my Ninja. Had to avoid something like 25 different accidents, including; range rover swerving into my lane on the freeway, car passing in a blind curve over the double-yellow, dude texting who swerved into my lane and then swerved into the next lane that I'd jumped into to avoid him, and much, much more.

Days like today really make me rethink living here. Unfortunately my only two 'easy' relocation options are Detroit and Cincinnati, and I doubt either is much better as far as stupid fuckface idiots goes.

The worst thing about it is the road rage though. You'll honk at someone that's drifting into your lane and then they want to fight and try and hit you with their car. You seriously cannot win with these loving people.

You know, since I got my scooter it's really given me the itch to get back on to a real bike again, but lately I've been reminded of why I gave up riding bikes around here to begin with. The scooter is fine for my short commute, but a motorcycle would be a complete waste of money because the riding quality here sucks (Florida) and it's dangerous as hell. I had my heart set on a SM, but I just can't bring myself to spend the money it would take to get a bike I really want only to ride it back and forth to work, because anything more than that I'm afraid I'll end up maimed or killed. My neighbor recently almost bled out in a bike accident right down the road so i'm sure that's not helping my psyche much either. gently caress other people. :smith:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I had a go on a grom for the first time today.

I'm on sold on the design. It'd be useless if you wanted to go anywhere on the motorway, but if you just wanted to ride to work and back in the city it'd be perfect. It also didn't feel or look anywhere near as tiny as everyone complains about; you look like you'd look riding a scooter and lots of people do that without bringing shame on their families, grow the gently caress up. The quality seems identical to big bike honda, everything seemed super solid and it rode fine despite the crap tyres and suspension.

...FIVE loving GRAND?!

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Fuckin told ya so

Most expensive pit bike ever

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Yeah the Grom isn't a bad bike per se, they only hosed up on the MSRP.

edit: Wheelchat, didn't the earlier V-Rods come with solid wheels?

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
Killed another bird yesterday! Never hit a bird driving a car but my shoulder is deadly on a bike. Third one. Tried my best to dodge him but just wasn't quick enough. :(

Also god drat a goldfinch feels like a baseball at 60 mph.

astrollinthepork fucked around with this message at 11:48 on May 30, 2015

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

I know a bloke that hit a swan on his bike. :/ He crashed.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Collateral Damage posted:

edit: Wheelchat, didn't the earlier V-Rods come with solid wheels?

Yes, front and back. The Gen1 all silver bikes still look amazing and frankly they would have been better off leaving it alone for its prod run rather than screwing with the bodywork, geometry, tire size, etc. Of course, this is what Murricans do to every Porsche they get their hands on.

Watsabi
Jul 4, 2012

astrollinthepork posted:

Killed another bird yesterday! Never hit a bird driving a car but my shoulder is deadly on a bike. Third one. Tried my best to dodge him but just wasn't quick enough. :(

I was dive bombed by a hawk. Luckily it hit the windscreen first and rolled up into my face but talons and feathers everywhere. I didn't crash but scared the bajesus out of me.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

astrollinthepork posted:

Birds and bikes don't get along.

I think my total over the years is 6, plus a goose that I kicked at when it attacked me at a red light.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
A bird on the adams apple has got to be brutal at 80

Dellikose
Oct 10, 2003
That would be hard to swallow.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Dellikose posted:

That would be hard to swallow.

Looolllllllllll

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

iwentdoodie posted:

Birds and bikes don't get along.

I think my total over the years is 6, plus a goose that I kicked at when it attacked me at a red light.

Pheasants and grouse are the worst ones. loving idiots seem to aim for you, maybe they just realise it's a far more noble death to get splattered by an awesome person wearing cool clothes with a beautiful machine than to get gunned down by a bunch of toff wankers in tweed with Land Rovers.

Also one year a seagull attacked me every morning when I rolled my bike out (never when i came home weirdly) because it had roosted in the building opposite.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

revmoo posted:

A bird on the adams apple has got to be brutal at 80
I got hit on the adams apple by what was probably a bee or wasp at 50 and that was bad enough.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Lynza posted:

I haven't ever seen [Terminator 2], so thanks!

What the heck man.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

captainOrbital posted:

What the heck man.

Yep.

One of the best chase scenes on film. I don't even like Softails but I'd ride a Fatboy because Terminator.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Who's the dude on the Harley?

ed: Oh, never mind; it's Peter Kent.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

captainOrbital posted:

Who's the dude on the Harley?

Max Headroom, duh.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

My mother-in-law-to-be and her husband have taken up RVing. They carry around a Vespa 250 for running down the road to the store. That poor little scooter with its nice leather seats and chrome trim and such has never been covered or stored inside, so it's all sunburned and cracked and the seat is torn and it just looks so sad. It's only a year or two old and probably doesn't have 200 miles on it. :(

That's my rant, hope you liked it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

My mother-in-law-to-be and her husband have taken up RVing. They carry around a Vespa 250 for running down the road to the store. That poor little scooter with its nice leather seats and chrome trim and such has never been covered or stored inside, so it's all sunburned and cracked and the seat is torn and it just looks so sad. It's only a year or two old and probably doesn't have 200 miles on it. :(

That's my rant, hope you liked it.

Someone needs to rescue that poor baby.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I hear scooters are notoriously easy to "rescue".

I wish I had your luck VVVVVV enjoy it and go hog wild!

Coydog fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 2, 2015

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
So Progressive just offered to settle with me for like... $2k more than I paid for my DRZ.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lynza posted:

I haven't ever seen it, so thanks!

Please stop what you are doing and watch terminator 2

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Akion posted:

So Progressive just offered to settle with me for like... $2k more than I paid for my DRZ.

Upgrade time!

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I have seen Terminator 2 about 10 times. I didn't pay a lot of attention to motorcycle wheels when I saw it, though.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Lynza posted:

I have seen Terminator 2 about 10 times. I didn't pay a lot of attention to motorcycle wheels when I saw it, though.

Like, the T-1000 totally could have morphed itself into a Fatboy front wheel, but then it would have been trapped for days trying to create a special HD tool to undo the fasteners and let itself out.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Marv Hushman posted:

Like, the T-1000 totally could have morphed itself into a Fatboy front wheel, but then it would have been trapped for days trying to create a special HD tool to undo the fasteners and let itself out.

Thanks for spoiling the end of Terminator 6, dick. :mad:

Are we on 6 or 7 at this point? 8?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
There were only 2.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nsaP posted:

There were only 2.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Only if you can travel back in time and stop the bad ones from ever being made.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

nsaP posted:

There were only 2.

This. And apparently that chronicles show on fox was good too, but I haven't seen it :iiam:

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

nsaP posted:

Upgrade time!

As tempting as a WR450 is, I'll probably be using the money to pay for some upgrades to my new Condo. I don't think I can deal with buying another bike just to get it stolen.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

HotCanadianChick posted:

Only if you can travel back in time and stop the bad ones from ever being made.

:lol:

I appreciate this reference because I still understood it, even though I've never seen a Terminator film.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The guy who bought my Ulysses is asking me to help him reset the TPS. D'oh! Thought I'd left that behind. All I do on the 08 is whack the throttle back and forth 3 times and switch the bike off and on...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

There are always two; master and apprentice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Oh it's time for my annual insurance rant.

Last year Swinton posted me a loving outrageous renewal quote 30% above what I'd paid the year before and I had to shout at them to make it at least stay constant, you know what with the bike being worth less, me having an extra year no-claims, you know, that sort of thing. Especially as the quote managed to be higher than when the bike was brand new, I had no NCB, and had not ridden for three years.

This year they've decided post isn't annoying enough and so have been phoning me daily. I never answer my personal mobile during work hours from an unrecognised number and they never left a VM, I only answered it yesterday in a spirit of scientific enquiry, and it was them. Apparently I'm a valued customer and so they've prepared me a special renewal quote that reflected this, they'd checked dozens of their competitors and were confident they were the cheapest. Their quote? £360. 20% more than I paid last year. I checked comparethemarket (from where Swinton are now notable for their absence) and Bennetts would do me an identical deal (TPF&T, SDP&C, kept ungaraged, helmet and leathers cover, breakdown cover, legal cover, if you're interested) for £200. I did this check while the guy was waffling me on the phone, and he still insisted that he was confident it was cheapest, and would I like to renew now?

I told him to get lost and send me my NCB proof when the policy expired.

This morning I got another call from them, luckily as i happened to be on a break otherwise I'd have never answered. They've re-examined my renewal and can now offer me a price of £230. The thing is I loving hate Bennetts (as does anyone who's ever had to deal with them) and this annual fuckaround with the renewal aside Swinton's service is really really good, so I renewed. I'll pay £30 to not have to deal with Bennett's lovely loving website, frankly.

But anyway to distill this - every single year that insurance for the Shiver has come up (it's only the second bike I've ever kept long enough to have a renewal without a change of circumstances) somehow my renewal quote has gone up. I'm not old enough to be in the "Erm maybe you shouldn't be on the road" category (yet), I'm only getting more experienced, the bike is only getting less expensive to replace (and less desirable to steal), and every loving year I have to fight tooth and nail to get my premium to go down even the tiniest amount.

To distill the distillation: