Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Feather posted:

There are a lot of them--and more importantly a lot more of them who vote--in the general elections, though. This country is rapidly shifting away from "being a white male is instant win", but we aren't there yet.

No I mean there aren't many Democratic governors or senators from swing states.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Feather posted:

There are a lot of them--and more importantly a lot more of them who vote--in the general elections, though. This country is rapidly shifting away from "being a white male is instant win", but we aren't there yet.

However I think Hillary would still choose a Castro, mainly because there isn't a bone in her body that isn't coldly politically calculating and that would do every possible thing to triangulate another vote or two.

Not only would a Castro VP be a direct play to Latino voters but 4-8 years of being a VP under Hilary and Castro can run for President himself and pretty much sail right in to the general election unless Hilary's presidency is an unmitigated disaster on the level of GW Bush. Even if it's only on the level of HW Bush's presidency her VP could likely lock the nomination without much hassle. The only thing that'd make Hilary happier than being president is being president and kingmaker for the next president after her.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Feather posted:

Vox is partially owned by Markos Moulitsas, and given his history and more importantly the last year or so of his political rag's shilling for Hillary I'd recommend treating anything coming out of it that obviously isn't opinion in this matter as being extremely slanted opinion. I'd venture a guess Markos is angling for support for a run at a seat in the house or some mid-level position in a Clinton administration to build political credentials for it in the future.

Do you really need to construct an elaborate conspiracy for why Matt Yglesias would run a thoroughly bloodless (and accurate) state of the race piece that falls into line with big D, Democratic politics?

Of course the article misses the biggest reason why the media are desperate to gin up an actual nomination contest is that an actual horse race benefits all politics' beat reporters careers (and that this inherent bias is by happy coincidence a good thing for a democracy).

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Scott Walker's sandwich looks delicious, I won't stand for this smear campaign.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

SedanChair posted:

Scott Walker's sandwich looks delicious, I won't stand for this smear campaign.

Yeah, what's up with all these people complaining about delicious sodium? Go jogging, nerds.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Pappyland posted:

There needs to be a general rule (a la murphy's law) that states:

"Any satire website that is not The Onion will suck in inverse proportion to how much they try to make it like The Onion"

Those sties don't even try to be humorous. They're just making bank on pageviews from straight-up faking news.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

computer parts posted:

There's not a lot of Democratic ones of those though.

My personal theory is Lincoln chofee if she doesn't do Castro. I can state for certain her staff is investigating Castro as a possibility in San Antonio, but my guess is they would be worried about being outshined.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Hahahaha Lincoln Chafee.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Bernie has stickers, coffee mugs, and yard signs on sale but nothing cool yet. Come on, man, at least give me something quirky to buy.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

skaboomizzy posted:

Bernie has stickers, coffee mugs, and yard signs on sale but nothing cool yet. Come on, man, at least give me something quirky to buy.

The honk for a political revolution bumper sticker ain't doing it for you?

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

SedanChair posted:

Hahahaha Lincoln Chafee.

My theory is someone will tell her it makes her look more like a uniter who can reach across the aisle to a new convert.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

mugrim posted:

My theory is someone will tell her it makes her look more like a uniter who can reach across the aisle to a new convert.

I'm not saying its a good move mind you, but her primaries will not be pretty, and Castro is a media darling who would take the center stage and my guess is she's still not quite over having 08 "taken" from her by a young minority who inspires her base more than she does.

Just talking out my rear end though.

Edit : double quote by accident...

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

The honk for a political revolution bumper sticker ain't doing it for you?

Well it is more persuasive than "Vote Bernie... you know you wanna!"

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

mugrim posted:

I'm not saying its a good move mind you, but her primaries will not be pretty, and Castro is a media darling who would take the center stage and my guess is she's still not quite over having 08 "taken" from her by a young minority who inspires her base more than she does.

Just talking out my rear end though.

Edit : double quote by accident...

Barring a REALLY unexpected turn of events, the Democratic primary will be over fairly quickly and without any significant "not pretty" shenanigans to speak of. While folks in BernieWorld may feel like he's got momentum on his side, he's not actually "chipping away" at Clinton in any meaningful way. What IS happening is that a decent chunk of the previously unaffiliated potential Democratic voters (and depressed Warren loyalists who are starting to accept that she REALLY isn't going to run) are switching from supporting no one (or people who aren't actually running) to supporting Bernie. Among that group, he's getting 30-40% of the cohort at the moment, which is better than everyone else chasing Hillary, but nowhere near enough to even come close to threatening her.

In the meantime, Hillary's support is almost completely untouched:

She sits at 60%, just like she has for more than a year.

As for who she chooses for VP, there's no right answer at this point because we're so far out from the conventions. We need to get further along and see who the likely TP/GOP nominee will be, we need to see who she's polling well/poorly with once the race actually heats up and she's doing regular press, etc. Regardless, Clinton certainly isn't worried about Castro as her VP becoming some weird rehash of 2008. It's just not a valid comparison. If he got the nod, he'd be speaking when, where and how she wants. They wouldn't be competing for attention at all.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

computer parts posted:

No I mean there aren't many Democratic governors or senators from swing states.

Vice President Terry McAullife :v:

eternalname
Nov 25, 2014

I have a strange feeling...that people are having sex...and it's not with me
vp bernie sanders :)

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Hey Cave Johnson was at one point successful :colbert:

Cave Johnson was at one point a congresscritter.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cave_Johnson
He's famous for mocking the telegraph.
http://www.morrisparks.net/speedwell/tel/tel.html

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

mugrim posted:

My personal theory is Lincoln chofee if she doesn't do Castro. I can state for certain her staff is investigating Castro as a possibility in San Antonio, but my guess is they would be worried about being outshined.

What is the downside of being outshined by your VP pick?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

PostNouveau posted:

What is the downside of being outshined by your VP pick?

Ask President John McCain.

But more seriously, if the VP gains the spotlight you've ceded the headline of your administration to someone Not You, that's control you don't want to lose. Do you want journalists running to your VP every time you do something for their comment, their approval? Do you want your popularity to nosedive if they make a mistake? If they succeed, do you want people to like your VP more than you, and maybe start wishing they were the nominee?

It's a support role. Regardless, I doubt Castro would overshadow Clinton if only because Clinton herself casts a very large shadow, he'd look more like a successor being groomed.

HalPhilipWalker
Feb 14, 2008
Does Christmas smell like oranges to you?

Dolash posted:

But more seriously, if the VP gains the spotlight you've ceded the headline of your administration to someone Not You, that's control you don't want to lose. Do you want journalists running to your VP every time you do something for their comment, their approval? Do you want your popularity to nosedive if they make a mistake? If they succeed, do you want people to like your VP more than you, and maybe start wishing they were the nominee?

This actually happened to FDR. He had a major public falling out with Vice President Garner in his second term, and there was an effort to get Garner nominated by the Democrats to run against him. Garner didn't succeed, largely because FDR was FDR, but this is a real and ugly possibility no President wants.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

HalPhilipWalker posted:

This actually happened to FDR. He had a major public falling out with Vice President Garner in his second term, and there was an effort to get Garner nominated by the Democrats to run against him. Garner didn't succeed, largely because FDR was FDR, but this is a real and ugly possibility no President wants.

There's a little more to this story, in fairness to Garner, FDR refused to say whether or not he was going to run again, right up until the convention, where he pulled the rug out from under Garner and was coronated as the nominee. Don't feel too bad for Garner, though, he was kind of a jerk and nobody really liked him anyway.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

my bony fealty posted:

Vice President Terry McAullife :v:

Hey, at least Cuccinelli lost. Between the last four senate races, the last two presidential elections, and the last three non-felon governors, I'm OK with either Kaine or Warner being Hillary's veep - pretty sure we'll get a friendly to replace him.

E: Gerrymandering is a hell of a thing. Several years ago, when driving to work, I entered Frank Wolf (now Barbara Comstock)'s district no fewer than three different times each way.

Corsair Pool Boy fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jun 2, 2015

HalPhilipWalker
Feb 14, 2008
Does Christmas smell like oranges to you?

sullat posted:

There's a little more to this story, in fairness to Garner, FDR refused to say whether or not he was going to run again, right up until the convention, where he pulled the rug out from under Garner and was coronated as the nominee. Don't feel too bad for Garner, though, he was kind of a jerk and nobody really liked him anyway.

That's not the reason for the falling out. Garner was a conservative who had only reluctantly supported the New Deal during FDR's first term. The real reason was a combination of FDR's refusal to stop sit-down strikes and his attempt to pack the Supreme Court. They spent many Cabinet meetings in Roosevelt's second term trading insults.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

HalPhilipWalker posted:

his attempt to pack the Supreme Court.

Not really relevant to this thread, but I feel like FDR doesn't get enough grief for this.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
:rip: Democracy for America and MoveOn.org have officially suspended Run Warren Run.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

AndNowMax posted:

Sure! But it's less about whether he would actually be effective and more about whether he could be perceived as being effective. When Hilary chooses somebody she's going to have to give reasons why she chose that person, and "Mayor of San Antonio" just doesn't have the same cache as "proven leader in the Senate..." or whatever. She could present him as "young and full of new ideas," except that Hilary's probably not going to run on a platform of new ideas, and that narrative dilutes her brand.

Alternatively, confidence in the congress/legislators in general is at historic lows, and Hillary already has legislative experience of her own.

The Republicans (and supporters who don't understand/care how StateDep works) will likely try to attack Hillary for not having experience Running Things, if only as a leftover from their '08/'12 playbook. Castro has varied and comprehensible executive experience to help round out the ticket, along with his other strengths.

What I'm getting at is I don't think Hillary is dumb enough to put an Old White Man TM at the bottom of her ticket in this day and age.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think VP pick should be an attack dog, so I'm going with Warren :laugh:

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Feral_Shofixti posted:

Hey, at least Cuccinelli lost. Between the last four senate races, the last two presidential elections, and the last three non-felon governors, I'm OK with either Kaine or Warner being Hillary's veep - pretty sure we'll get a friendly to replace him.

E: Gerrymandering is a hell of a thing. Several years ago, when driving to work, I entered Frank Wolf (now Barbara Comstock)'s district no fewer than three different times each way.

Yeah I actually like T-Mac and think he's doing a pretty decent job as governor. He'll do a hell of a job stumping and raising money for Hillary in Virginia, that's for sure.

I wouldn't be 100% on getting a D to replace Kaine or Warner, though - both of them were first elected in Presidential election years and Kaine definitely rode Obama's coattails somewhat. Warner held on for his life in 2014, despite his huge popularity, so I would be weary of a special election or mid-term election definitely going D.

Incidentally, I grew up in VA's 10th district and was pretty disheartened when Comstock won, she sucks. At least Wolf was great about bringing the pork home :v:

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Can you imagine what American politics will look like in 2032 if this country has just elected its first black, female, and Latino presidents consecutively?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Clinton/Granholm: Your Balls Are Meaningless

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

mdemone posted:

Can you imagine what American politics will look like in 2032 if this country has just elected its first black, female, and Latino presidents consecutively?

Clarence Thomas would be the age Ginsberg is now!

Caros
May 14, 2008

Feral_Shofixti posted:

Not really relevant to this thread, but I feel like FDR doesn't get enough grief for this.

Honestly it wasn't a bad thought in context. Historically the supreme Court has been full of conservative poo poo heads and this was especially true in FDR's day.

The supreme Court had struck down new deal legislation after legislation and FDR was correctly fed up with the fact that the supreme court was refusing to let the government govern. Admitted it was lovely timing since the court had already agreed behind closed doors to stop fighting fdr, but with what he knew the threat of "Stop shutting down everything we send your way or I will make a court that will" certainly would have helped convince them.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Caros posted:

Honestly it wasn't a bad thought in context. Historically the supreme Court has been full of conservative poo poo heads and this was especially true in FDR's day.

The supreme Court had struck down new deal legislation after legislation and FDR was correctly fed up with the fact that the supreme court was refusing to let the government govern. Admitted it was lovely timing since the court had already agreed behind closed doors to stop fighting fdr, but with what he knew the threat of "Stop shutting down everything we send your way or I will make a court that will" certainly would have helped convince them.

No, it was still lovely. FDR was pushing stuff I like, and I acknowledge that the court was corrupted by partisans, but "I'll break one of the pillars of the state" is not a good act. There were other, more intelligent ways to handle it.

See also: Kansas, right now.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Anyone else watch Veep? Everyone in this thread will love it FYI

Caros
May 14, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

No, it was still lovely. FDR was pushing stuff I like, and I acknowledge that the court was corrupted by partisans, but "I'll break one of the pillars of the state" is not a good act. There were other, more intelligent ways to handle it.

See also: Kansas, right now.

It is a good act if you believe that the supreme court is by design against the public interests as fdr (rightly in my opinion) did.

You could just as easily say that any attempt to reform the Senate to make it not an undemocratic piece of garbage is breaking one of the pillars of the state, but I think most people here would actually agree with a change to how senators are allotted

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Caros posted:

You could just as easily say that any attempt to reform the Senate to make it not an undemocratic piece of garbage is breaking one of the pillars of the state, but I think most people here would actually agree with a change to how senators are allotted

I think between 2010 and 2014 most people here liked the Senate actually.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Rocks posted:

Anyone else watch Veep? Everyone in this thread will love it FYI

Just started watching it and yes.

Caros posted:

It is a good act if you believe that the supreme court is by design against the public interests as fdr (rightly in my opinion) did.

Separation of powers pffft who needs it amirite?

SCOTUS has done more for the rights of more Americans than the legislative or executive branches have ever done.

neonnoodle fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jun 2, 2015

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

mugrim posted:

Chafee is widely considered one of the worst RI governors. He was so bad he resigned rather than lose his re-election. Not a chance that he gets picked.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

Concerned Citizen posted:

Chafee is widely considered one of the worst RI governors. He was so bad he resigned rather than lose his re-election. Not a chance that he gets picked.

No one gives a poo poo about RI politics. There were tons of issues with Palin's record too but ultimately that was the direction. The choices are pretty thin outside of that. Castro is a smart choice, but he is way more media savvy than her and he understands the 24 hour cycle and sound bites better than her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010
Why would Hillary ever pick Chafee when Brad Henry is available? He was an extremely popular governor running as a Democrat in Oklahoma. He would still be governor if he hadn't been term limited to leave in 2011. The democrats have plenty of conservative white men on their side.

• Locked thread