Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

"My clothes are not for black people" --Tommy Hilfiger

Yeah, that never happened, but good job on repeating complete bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Yeah, that didn't happen, but the head of Louis Roederer (who make Cristal) did once kind of lament the brand's association with hip hop and what that does for its image. That is probably the closest thing to any of those rumors that has actually happened.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Amergin posted:

Hey now, the GOP primaries will smell a helluva lot better than AF and Hollister stores.

Hmmm poo poo at least supports life so you do have a point.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
So speaking of poo poo, what is the Floor-Pooper up to?

Impersonating other people to harass their sources

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Well I'm not sure why but I had kind of expected him to take a break from being a shithead after he got booted from twitter, at least for a week or so.

I guess that was dumb of me.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

radical meme posted:

On a different issue, this article in Mother Jones is about Brownback and the Kansas GOP controlled legislature attacking the Kansas Court system. The Kansas Supreme Court ruled that school funding was not equitable and a lower court found the entire system inadequate, ordering the State to correct it. Instead of correcting the system, which would require raising taxes, Brownback and the GOP have decided to destroy the Courts. It's a small version of what many GOP members of Congress are saying needs to be done at the Federal level. The most chicken poo poo plan is to:

I wonder how heavily involved ALEC and similar groups are so that this can be a test run for gutting the SCOTUS if a republican wins next year. It seems rather relevant to the Federal government that "oh well gently caress it we'll make removing judges arbitrary as hell" not be allowed to take root pretty much anywhere, though at the very least this is bound to cause a state-level constitutional crisis there when the government's response to the judges saying "you can't do X it violates the state constitution" is "gently caress you we'll just replace you with yes men."

Munkeymon posted:

Wouldn't amnesty give them actual legal protection which would make their labor cost more?

Not for a lot of their workforce and the sudden influx of legal workers who are used to poo poo wages means you can now fire lots of un/low-skilled workers and pay the migrants a lot less because they're used to lower income. It's the exact reason Zuckerberg and other silicon valley "leaders" are big on amnesty and expansion, especially now that the massive wage-fixing that a lot of companies were involved in is public knowledge. Hire lots of cheap workers through a much easier visa process and fire those pesky people who demand things like "good wages" or "benefits" and so forth.

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Walker only has appeal with a very narrow subset of white men. Even that he might lose because he's a charisma-less bowl of mashed potatoes with zero accomplishments to talk about coming from a lily white Midwestern state. He might be competitive in the primary but Bush is absolutely the establishment choice.

Walker's far easily to manipulate and until the Koch brothers decide to drop him he will have a chance because the Kochs could drop a (few) billion dollars in to an election if they felt they'd get a better return on the investment, like Adelson did with Romney. The fun thing about elections being so heavily influenced by money is that if, say, a pair of billionaire supervillian brothers really want their own personal puppet they can drop lots of money on trying to make it happen. Though I'd love nothing more than to see some billionaire proxy war with ungodly amounts of money being wasted in the GOP primary.

Mister Macys posted:

He's every head coach in the NHL.

Mike Tomlin could get dressed blindfolded while on fire and he'd still look better than Rand.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Mitch McConnell apparently leaked earlier today that yes, the Koch Brothers own the GOP. Who's bloody surprised?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

whole lotta pot votes Wednesday

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Evil Fluffy posted:

Not for a lot of their workforce and the sudden influx of legal workers who are used to poo poo wages means you can now fire lots of un/low-skilled workers and pay the migrants a lot less because they're used to lower income. It's the exact reason Zuckerberg and other silicon valley "leaders" are big on amnesty and expansion, especially now that the massive wage-fixing that a lot of companies were involved in is public knowledge. Hire lots of cheap workers through a much easier visa process and fire those pesky people who demand things like "good wages" or "benefits" and so forth.

Wouldn't help for farmers though since they pay below legal wages in the first place.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Is Rand carrying a Magnum Desert Eagle in his left pocket or something?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Is Rand carrying a Magnum Desert Eagle in his left pocket or something?

The bullets are cast from solid purestrain gold.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I think it is really telling that the rightwing as gently caress media has found Bernie's greatest weakness: weed. The whitest candidate possible doesn't care about the only thing white urbanites care about : weed.

The answer is clear, GOOGLE RON Rand PAUL!

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Grouchio posted:

Mitch McConnell apparently leaked earlier today that yes, the Koch Brothers own the GOP. Who's bloody surprised?

Any sort of link to this?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Ramadu posted:

Seconded.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
So, is Graham a bit better than the average republican? I remember the video of live mic and him telling Kerry that "I have your back", and he does support immigration reform and he doesn't openly hate all democrats. Is this all a sham?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Vahakyla posted:

So, is Graham a bit better than the average republican? I remember the video of live mic and him telling Kerry that "I have your back", and he does support immigration reform and he doesn't openly hate all democrats. Is this all a sham?

Other than his desire to carpet bomb the planet and cut all government spending, he's pretty reasonable.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Ramadu posted:

Looks like it might just be a repeat from leaked audio of a gathering in 2014 that was reported on at the time. Most of the search results for it are from kind of fringey blogs, though, and it looks like it never really gained traction since a) nobody except for political junkies know who the Koch brothers are and b) it's a dog bites man story.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/30/mitch-mcconnell-koch-brothers_n_6076746.html

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
NC senate does a cool thing. Well, not so cool as it is exhaustingly sad.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Is there any thread currently covering the Orange County District Attorney scandal?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

So the Republican Study Committee has been promising they will have a health care plan out June 2nd. They have been teasing it with nifty little intern created graphics and tweets like this one.

Alright cool, it's June 2nd. What time is the announcement?

Majority Leader McCarthy: No healthcare bill until after the SCOTUS ruling

Of course.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

SquadronROE posted:

NC senate does a cool thing. Well, not so cool as it is exhaustingly sad.

From the NC LAN thread:

Phone posted:

Oh no, Mayor McCheese flexing his veto muscles in front of a veto proof state senate and almost veto proof house.

Keep in mind, he got national coverage for this poo poo. It's the most transparent half-dimensional chess being overseen by Art Pope.

IN OTHER NC NEWS~~~ http://www.wral.com/insurers-seeking-sizable-rate-increases-on-affordable-care-act-health-plans/14682626/

quote:

Chapel Hill, N.C. — Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina has asked state regulators for a 25.7 percent average rate increase on individual insurance plans purchased under the Affordable Care Act for 2016.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Lid posted:

Is there any thread currently covering the Orange County District Attorney scandal?

Do tell.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Ah, so they've learned how to release information from Trump.

Jack2142 posted:

Yup... I remember a kid one whose family wouldn't let him go to mariners games because they were running "sodo mojo" ad's and those implied the use of magic which is tainted by Satan.

There were always a few Korean nuns at the community college I went to in Houston and they were nice enough, but a couple were in this public speaking class and for the first big speech project (which the teacher specifically said to keep apolitical, of course) one of them did her entire speech on the evils of abortion. It was kind of surreal to watch most of the class sit there in disbelief for five minutes, especially given that the topic was supposed to be about something helpful to others.

Definitely took the edge off of my basic vehicle maintenance speech...

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Essentially for 25+ years the Orange County police and attorneys have been acting unconstitutionally in prosecutions on purpose using CI's to interrogate suspects, or outright lie on the stand, inexchange for reduced sentences and money. This came to light after an open and shut murder trial (the case being the infamous beauty parlous massacre where a guy killed 7 people) never got off the ground because the public defender managed to uncover a huge conspiracy regarding the use of CI's between the Sherrif's department and the DA. It has hit the point where every member of the DA office, all 250 attorneys, are now barred from acting on the death penalty case because they are all systemically compromised and several have committed perjury.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...t_attorney.html

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the morning, “Objects in your rearview mirror are closer than they appear. Mrs. Clinton had better get out here.” ~ Kurt Meyer, Worth County, Iowa party chairman who organized a Bernie Sanders event, to Troy Price, the Iowa political director for Hillary Rodham Clinton.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Joementum posted:

Quote of the morning, “Objects in your rearview mirror are closer than they appear. Mrs. Clinton had better get out here.” ~ Kurt Meyer, Worth County, Iowa party chairman who organized a Bernie Sanders event, to Troy Price, the Iowa political director for Hillary Rodham Clinton.

Translation: "Please come pay attention to our state :qq:"

Correct?

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Vahakyla posted:

He is running for president on the anti-Islam platform with the promise to station 10,000 troops in Iraq.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Shifty Pony posted:

Translation: "Please come pay attention to our state :qq:"

Correct?
Sanders has been drawing some sizeable crowds in Iowa.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

He's saying she isn't inevitable and she better not take her nomination as a given.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Lid posted:

Essentially for 25+ years the Orange County police and attorneys have been acting unconstitutionally in prosecutions on purpose using CI's to interrogate suspects, or outright lie on the stand, inexchange for reduced sentences and money. This came to light after an open and shut murder trial (the case being the infamous beauty parlous massacre where a guy killed 7 people) never got off the ground because the public defender managed to uncover a huge conspiracy regarding the use of CI's between the Sherrif's department and the DA. It has hit the point where every member of the DA office, all 250 attorneys, are now barred from acting on the death penalty case because they are all systemically compromised and several have committed perjury.

:vince:

I mean. I can't be too surprised. This poo poo happens everywhere. Just...gently caress! How do they expect anyone who's ever interacted with the justice system to trust it in the slightest?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I read an article a few weeks back on underemployment vs. Unemployment and why the over-50 crowd were so angry, since they'd seen a drop in earning power. Anyone remember the article or have a link?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

RuanGacho posted:

He's saying she isn't inevitable and she better not take her nomination as a given.

I know that's what he's literally saying. What I was pointing out is that his motivation isn't "oh no, I am genuinely concerned that Hillary is in trouble" as much as it is "come into the state and give the state party members a bunch of publicity and a fuckton of fundraising opportunity for the next nine months".

It isn't just the media that wants a horse race.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

quote:

SANFORD, Fla. (AP) — An attorney for a Florida man charged with shooting at George Zimmerman said Friday that he planned to use a "Stand Your Ground" defense — the same legal strategy considered but ultimately not used by lawyers for the former neighborhood watch leader who was acquitted in the fatal shooting of Trayvon Martin.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/29/matthew-apperson-stand-your-ground_n_7472894.html

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

AlternateNu posted:

:vince:

I mean. I can't be too surprised. This poo poo happens everywhere. Just...gently caress! How do they expect anyone who's ever interacted with the justice system to trust it in the slightest?

My first reaction was "loving Orange County". I mean I heard that politics here are pretty seriously reprehensible, but wow.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Cuomo Administration acknowledges involvement with a Federal corruption probe.

Previously the fallout had been restricted to state legislators.

GalacticAcid fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 2, 2015

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Lid posted:

If you can stomach it, you might try floating it in the Criminal Justice thread, but be warned, it's pretty toxic. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3701648

If you wanted to create one just for this, I'd be interested. Curious to see how much Daryl Issa knows about this.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Tempest_56 posted:

Sample quotes from a 2006 article:

"It's almost everything. That's why we hire good-looking people in our stores. Because good-looking people attract other good-looking people, and we want to market to cool, good-looking people. We don’t market to anyone other than that."

"Candidly, we go after the cool kids. We go after the attractive all-American kid with a great attitude and a lot of friends. A lot of people don’t belong [in our clothes], and they can’t belong."

The quote you're thinking of seems to be attributed to an 'anonymous brand manager': "Abercrombie & Fitch doesn't want to create the image that just anybody, poor people, can wear their clothing. Only people of a certain stature are able to purchase and wear the company name."

Their CEO walked it back in 2013, but yeah, death by guillotine.

That's some hubris right there, I don't know anyone that would be caught dead wearing that poo poo since it looks exactly what Aeropostale and other copycats are doing at 2x the price.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Quote of the Gay:

“Now I wish that someone told me that when I was in high school that I could have felt like a woman when it came time to take showers in PE. I’m pretty sure that I would have found my feminine side and said, ‘Coach, I think I’d rather shower with the girls today.'”
-Mike Huckabee

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Trabisnikof posted:

Quote of the Gay:

“Now I wish that someone told me that when I was in high school that I could have felt like a woman when it came time to take showers in PE. I’m pretty sure that I would have found my feminine side and said, ‘Coach, I think I’d rather shower with the girls today.'”
-Mike Huckabee
That's the least likable thing I've heard him say yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I'm starting to think that-- between his vigorous endorsement of Duggar and these comments-- we probably shouldn't let huckabee be alone near children.

• Locked thread