Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Looks just like a Threshold filter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that

neonnoodle posted:

That's so cool! Is it Blender/Freestyle?

Thanks! It's Maya. And I am hoping to do some more (and larger) pieces in this style when I have some free time.

concerned mom posted:

Love the style on this, how did you achieve it?

I just make a flat black-and-white texture, add it to a blinn material as both the color and the ambient color. Then I drop the diffuse and the specularity down to zero. I render the frames as tiffs and then add a white background when I make it into a video. The somewhat grainy-looking effect is actually from compressing the gif but I liked it so I kept it that way.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Wireframe rendering question.

In Maya, with VRay/MR/Software/Vector/Whatever renderers, I want to render a wireframe view BUT only render like, every 10th wire or so. The model is very dense so I'd like to show it's shape, but not have a ridiculous amount of definition in there . That even possible? Or do I have to physicall reduce the model?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Just do a retopo version.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

mutata posted:

Just do a retopo version.

I've never actually retopo'd in Maya. Is there a good guide? I'm looking for something fairly automatic. This is a dense car model that was given to me by a client, if it involves doing a lot of extensive work by hand then I'll just tell them it's not doable. I was hoping for a quick way to just reduce the mesh size, but the "Reduce" function is pretty unusable.

Now that i think about it though, maybe I'll do a PFX version.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

crossbow work in progress for pvk2, expect a timelapse video up soon

edit: here's that video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWTJyf8xHr8

Kanine fucked around with this message at 04:37 on May 30, 2015

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Still a loooong way to go but some progress is better than none. I was told I couldn't make eyelashes because they wouldn't survive the process. :(
Might just do them later anyways. At this point I want to get all the major features down because I am running out of time. The foundry will be dismantled pretty soon and I still have to get the sculpt finished and printed / polished!
Hair definitely needs at least two more passes. Anyone have any advice for strands other than the rake brush?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

BonoMan posted:

I've never actually retopo'd in Maya. Is there a good guide? I'm looking for something fairly automatic. This is a dense car model that was given to me by a client, if it involves doing a lot of extensive work by hand then I'll just tell them it's not doable. I was hoping for a quick way to just reduce the mesh size, but the "Reduce" function is pretty unusable.

Now that i think about it though, maybe I'll do a PFX version.

http://www.3dartistonline.com/news/2014/11/3d-tips-retopology-in-maya-2015/

It's pretty simple these days. I think you could get something workable after a short while.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
So it took the better part of a the day but I just finished my first model in Sculptris.

Any critique is welcome, I've just dipped my toe in 3d modeling and I can use whatever help I can get.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

sigma 6 posted:

Still a loooong way to go but some progress is better than none. I was told I couldn't make eyelashes because they wouldn't survive the process. :(
Might just do them later anyways. At this point I want to get all the major features down because I am running out of time. The foundry will be dismantled pretty soon and I still have to get the sculpt finished and printed / polished!
Hair definitely needs at least two more passes. Anyone have any advice for strands other than the rake brush?

In my opinion; don't do the hair strands at all. Think of the hair in blockier thicker shapes; especially because small details like strands will be prone to breaking or not molding properly.

This hair is good at symbolizing strands without actually making any:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So I'm working on an arch-viz type image, could use some feedback. The idea is it's a futuristic housing development advertisment where a bunch of condos are all linked together in the sky but can also split off and move around the and even hover down and pick a person up at work if they want to. The image will be one of these condos hovering back to join the larger group.

Here's a few ideas for composition:

And here's my progress on the interior of one condo bedroom/home office combination, with a lot of temporary models.

Which of the composition ideas to people prefer, or do you have any idea for the floorplan of said cube condo thingy? The idea that the kitchen and bathroom would be in another, stationary cube. Not exactly sure how I'll get all this info across in one image, but I'll probably do several.

Edit: Another quick, crappy photoshop of the kind of thing I'm thinking of:

Ccs fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 31, 2015

cYn
Apr 1, 2008
More sex toys as I try out colour schemes. The hard part is getting them to look the same in game as they do when you're texturing them outside of the engine.

Substance Painter

Unity

Unity

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Are you using Unity 5? If you're using Unity 4, that does not have a PBR pipeline so your materials are going to come out quite different than they look in Substance.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Ccs posted:

Which of the composition ideas to people prefer, or do you have any idea for the floorplan of said cube condo thingy? The idea that the kitchen and bathroom would be in another, stationary cube. Not exactly sure how I'll get all this info across in one image, but I'll probably do several.

4th if any - having some connection to the interior space/seeing how desirable it is and also being able to take in the overall structure is better. it's still barely mid though, you've got no foreground at all.
You could probably do something similar to one of ours. get right up close to the unit, if not inside it.

If you're doing interiors the scale that you've shown in your preview it should have a mezzanine and more layering too - there is no apartment in the world outside of warehouse conversions with as much dead space as you've got in there. Thats what, a 40ft cube?

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 1, 2015

cYn
Apr 1, 2008

mutata posted:

Are you using Unity 5? If you're using Unity 4, that does not have a PBR pipeline so your materials are going to come out quite different than they look in Substance.

Unity 5, the skybox appears to make a big difference, as it should.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure substance has a substance -> export setup, otherwise something like the gloss channels get messed up (I was looking over someone's shoulder as he fixed it and made it look the same in game)

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

cubicle gangster posted:

4th if any - having some connection to the interior space/seeing how desirable it is and also being able to take in the overall structure is better. it's still barely mid though, you've got no foreground at all.
You could probably do something similar to one of ours. get right up close to the unit, if not inside it.

If you're doing interiors the scale that you've shown in your preview it should have a mezzanine and more layering too - there is no apartment in the world outside of warehouse conversions with as much dead space as you've got in there. Thats what, a 40ft cube?

Cool, thanks! Your images were what inspired me, so I'll definitely take any advice you care to give.
Cube size it 25 ft by 25ft. I'll look up some apartment floorplans to get a better idea of how people actually organize apartments.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

You can use this as a reference:

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

mutata posted:

For scanning objects? That will be neat if it's accessible, but only useful for so far (you'd be limited by what objects you had on hand as well as the physical size of the unit). I'm more interested in material scanning like what Ready At Dawn did for The Order or what Megascans has. Not needing to be beholden to a 3rd party library of materials would be awesome.

The tools mentioned in the Epic talk would be precisely for people that don't want to be beholden to a 3rd party library of materials. The delighting is for when you scan your own large objects and want to remove the shadows from the albedo to get a nice, clean, base texture. Ready at Dawn and the Megascans materials were authored the same way.

Minor correction: The Ready at Dawn materials were scanned slightly differently, but the process is very similar. You still want the delighting stuff for when you're scanning objects in an environment where you can't control the lighting.

Gearman fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 2, 2015

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Ccs posted:

Here's a few ideas for composition:

Definitely seconding #4 but with a closer shot. I'm really curious how these things would work (attaching/detaching from the others, staying aloft and moving) and a close-up would show these best, as well as the fact that it's a condo and not just a generic building.

Ccs posted:

The idea that the kitchen and bathroom would be in another, stationary cube.

I dunno, maybe it's because you call it a "condo" but I'd definitely like to see the entire unit (kitchen, bathrooms, and all) inside the single free-floating cube. That's just me, though.

If you're looking for resources to measure rooms or apartments/condos, Architectural Record has a lot of recently built projects which often include floor plans: http://archrecord.construction.com/projects/building_types_study/TypeIndex.aspx?bts=MR. They only have a scale rather than specific dimensions, but it should be enough to get you started.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Gearman posted:

The tools mentioned in the Epic talk would be precisely for people that don't want to be beholden to a 3rd party library of materials. The delighting is for when you scan your own large objects and want to remove the shadows from the albedo to get a nice, clean, base texture. Ready at Dawn and the Megascans materials were authored the same way.

Minor correction: The Ready at Dawn materials were scanned slightly differently, but the process is very similar. You still want the delighting stuff for when you're scanning objects in an environment where you can't control the lighting.

Ah, so it IS a material scanner and not a photogrammetry thing maker. Awesome. Yeah, I heard a lot about the Ready at Dawn tech back when I worked for one of their former producers. Awesome, I'll need to keep an eye on that Epic stuff.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Yeah, it's to help you get better albedo maps from your scans. The process they're trying to help streamline is -> plug HDR map in to Max/Maya -> import scanned object -> bake IBL to texture -> use inverse of IBL texture to remove lighting information from albedo. There are some tools out there already that can help streamline this a bit, but it's a far cry from being able to just select an HDR map, select an OBJ, and get a pristine Albedo. It'll be a big time saver for sure.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Can their tech generate normals and gloss? RAD's would using multiple lighting sources and cameras and such.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Normals yes, gloss sort of, but not really. The scanning that Epic showed was outdoors, which is typically only a single camera scan. You can get great normals and albedo from that type of scan. You can also have an indoor rig with a small number of fixed location cameras and lights and rotate the object on a turn table. With that particular method, you can get great normals and albedo, and can get gloss as well but it's a bit more difficult as it requires a scan with filtered light. The RAD material scanner used a small number of cameras and lights to scan materials that didn't move at all. The light and cameras surrounded the material, with custom software to trigger the lights in various configurations. This will give you a great albedo, normals, and gloss, but it is unsuitable for scanning anything other than textiles and very flat materials. It is possible to build a scaled-up version of the RAD texture scanner, but it requires a significantly larger amount of cameras and lights. Such a rig is usually reserved for facial motion capture, or full body scanning.

Edit: There are also laser scanners, scanners that rely on projecting an image, white-light and IR scanners, and a whole bunch of similar scanning devices, but they are still fairly expensive, and the mesh is not significantly better than those produced through photogrammetry with decent lighting. As a bonus, you can get albedo and gloss for free with photogrammetry, which most of the other methods typically do not capture.

Paul Debevec and his team at USC recently scanned Barack Obama using several scanning technologies and techniques, there's a pretty cool video of it here: https://www.whitehouse.gov/share/watch-first-ever-3d-print-president

Gearman fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 2, 2015

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Gotcha. Albedo and normals go a long way. I can handle gloss myself. GIVE IT TO ME NOW.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
A single camera can work fine as long as you have a polarizing filter for it. It basically attempts to take out all the lighting of whatever you're shooting and will generally get you a fairly close to albedo result.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

And generate a normal map too? Huh?! CAN IT?! HMMMMM?

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

working on bb8 from the new star wars film

cYn
Apr 1, 2008
In game render tests and I've thrown together a web page to commit myself to the project.
http://www.projectpixel.net

Needs more lens flare.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I wonder how many thousands of man hours have been lost accidentally clicking "Motion Capture" instead of "Reset XForm"

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Gearman posted:

Normals yes, gloss sort of, but not really. The scanning that Epic showed was outdoors, which is typically only a single camera scan. You can get great normals and albedo from that type of scan. You can also have an indoor rig with a small number of fixed location cameras and lights and rotate the object on a turn table. With that particular method, you can get great normals and albedo, and can get gloss as well but it's a bit more difficult as it requires a scan with filtered light. The RAD material scanner used a small number of cameras and lights to scan materials that didn't move at all. The light and cameras surrounded the material, with custom software to trigger the lights in various configurations. This will give you a great albedo, normals, and gloss, but it is unsuitable for scanning anything other than textiles and very flat materials. It is possible to build a scaled-up version of the RAD texture scanner, but it requires a significantly larger amount of cameras and lights. Such a rig is usually reserved for facial motion capture, or full body scanning.

Edit: There are also laser scanners, scanners that rely on projecting an image, white-light and IR scanners, and a whole bunch of similar scanning devices, but they are still fairly expensive, and the mesh is not significantly better than those produced through photogrammetry with decent lighting. As a bonus, you can get albedo and gloss for free with photogrammetry, which most of the other methods typically do not capture.

Paul Debevec and his team at USC recently scanned Barack Obama using several scanning technologies and techniques, there's a pretty cool video of it here: https://www.whitehouse.gov/share/watch-first-ever-3d-print-president

Yeah the RAD system was for scanning flat materials. The same concept can be attached to a sphere of cameras to capture full 3d. With a fast enough system you can actually capture moving 3d. The infinite realities blog had a bunch of useful info when I was looking into things a few years ago http://ir-ltd.net/blog/

You can duplicate the RAD system roughly with a couple of flashlights and a camera (in fact, the original system used was using a photography light with a diffuser and just physically moving it around a piece of cloth, then photoshopping the results. The system we built just had software do all the processing and let us tune to the specifics of our hardware rig.

Paul Debevec is like the leading expert on this poo poo. I've had the pleasure of seeing a few different presentations from him.

3d scanning is pretty awesome but it's not going to supplant 3d modeling for a lot of uses.

cYn
Apr 1, 2008
Some rough footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huaC2dhheTk

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
With the Steam summer sale going on, anyone with any experience in Allegorithmic's Substance Painter/Designer know of any reason I would want to buy the Live version on their website instead of the Steam versions? If I go with Steam will I not get something I'd get with the Live version, like these "Monthly Drops"?

I really want this software but I don't want to miss anything, especially for a measly $30 discount.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

KiddieGrinder posted:

With the Steam summer sale going on, anyone with any experience in Allegorithmic's Substance Painter/Designer know of any reason I would want to buy the Live version on their website instead of the Steam versions? If I go with Steam will I not get something I'd get with the Live version, like these "Monthly Drops"?

I really want this software but I don't want to miss anything, especially for a measly $30 discount.

You can activate your steam copy at Substance site to get it from there as well.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

SinineSiil posted:

You can activate your steam copy at Substance site to get it from there as well.

So I wouldn't be losing out on anything if I buy the Steam versions and register them at the Allegorithmic website?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

KiddieGrinder posted:

So I wouldn't be losing out on anything if I buy the Steam versions and register them at the Allegorithmic website?
I got this on substance site after linking it with my Steam account:

quote:

Painter Indie
Windows
Substance Painter - 1.4.0 - Build 1.4.0.746 Download - See all build versions
25 GameTexture - Part 1 - Build 1 Download - See all build versions
25 GameTexture - Part 2 - Build 1 Download - See all build versions
Mac
Substance Painter - 1.4.0 - Build 1.4.0.746 Download - See all build versions
25 GameTexture - Part 1 - Build 1 Download - See all build versions
25 GameTexture - Part 2 - Build 1 Download - See all build versions
I think you won't get Substance Live from Steam though. Seems to be feature of pro versions.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

SinineSiil posted:

I got this on substance site after linking it with my Steam account:

I think you won't get Substance Live from Steam though. Seems to be feature of pro versions.

Alright thanks a lot, much appreciated! :)

If anyone else is curious, here is the link for the Steam bundle. 10% isn't much, but better than nothing.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

KiddieGrinder posted:

Alright thanks a lot, much appreciated! :)

If anyone else is curious, here is the link for the Steam bundle. 10% isn't much, but better than nothing.

It has gotten 40-50% discounts during big sales btw.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!
:nws:I come bearing gifts:nws:

Hate Fibration fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jun 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Wow, they really went for it with the naked fat lady scans huh?

Might want to consider that link not work safe as well. Obviously if you're in a professional environment where you use anatomical reference it's fine but just to be on the safe side...