Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I have never really pushed my 2500k, guess I should try one of these days before I decide to "upgrade" :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

dud root posted:

5Ghz on air? My 2500k on water tops out at 4.5, drat
That person has a seriously above-average chip. Yours I think is more average. I "sadly" have a below average 2500k in that it will NOT go beyond 4.2 and be stable, no matter what. But a 4.2GHz 2500k is still pretty goddamn good to be quite honest.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I've never bothered to stress my 2500K simply because I'm happy at 4.4Ghz at bone stock voltages. I've got a big-rear end Silver Arrow on top of it and I've never seen it break 55-60C at load.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
My 4670K (at 4.2 gHz) will tickle 80C but only if I'm stretching it (benchmarking or video encoding). Games only hit 60ish. I have a Noctua D15 (something like that) with one fan. Would the optional second fan help temperatures noticeably if I start pushing it a lot?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Panty Saluter posted:

My 4670K (at 4.2 gHz) will tickle 80C but only if I'm stretching it (benchmarking or video encoding). Games only hit 60ish. I have a Noctua D15 (something like that) with one fan. Would the optional second fan help temperatures noticeably if I start pushing it a lot?

That sounds awfully high for what is the most overkill air cooler you can buy.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I've tried repasting it but no luck. I'm just real bad at computers I guess :\

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I've never bothered to stress my 2500K simply because I'm happy at 4.4Ghz at bone stock voltages. I've got a big-rear end Silver Arrow on top of it and I've never seen it break 55-60C at load.
My 4.6ghz 2600K gets slightly warmer under the HR-02 but that's to be expected since it needs 1.38v for those clocks. Even at 4.3ghz it still wants >1.3v so it's not worth dropping down really.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
I understand that intel CPUs with the added "T" are downclocked to stay within a certain TDP range of 35 Watts. So what is the difference between a model with a higher model-number that is downclocked to a CPU with a lower serial number to begin with?
E.g. Let's compare an i3 4130 at 3400Mhz which consumes 54 Watts to a i3 4370T at 3300Mhz consuming 35 Watts (not exactly the same Mhz but close). Which one is faster and why is this so complicated?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

MaxxBot posted:

Unless that 2500k is sitting at 5GHz or something you would get more than 10%, the benchmarks I saw were showing around a 8-10% increase from Haswell.

In games, at least, the difference isn't impressive.

A 4.5GHz 2500K performs outright better than a stock 3570K or 4670K. Overclocked Sandy Bridge also doesn't consume as much power as an overclocked Ivy or Haswell, and that's without talking about heat transfer issues with the nice gap between the IHS and die.
When the CPU isn't the bottleneck, the difference between even a 4.5GHz 4670K and a stock 2500K is not worth talking about. Further evidence to that end is provided by AnandTech.

Basically, there are good reasons the "Sandy Bridge is still relevant" drum gets beaten in this thread. Because it's true.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 09:59 on May 30, 2015

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

I understand that intel CPUs with the added "T" are downclocked to stay within a certain TDP range of 35 Watts. So what is the difference between a model with a higher model-number that is downclocked to a CPU with a lower serial number to begin with?
E.g. Let's compare an i3 4130 at 3400Mhz which consumes 54 Watts to a i3 4370T at 3300Mhz consuming 35 Watts (not exactly the same Mhz but close). Which one is faster and why is this so complicated?

http://ark.intel.com/compare/81207,77480

The only two parameters that are different which matter for performance are that the 4370T is clocked very slightly slower but has a substantially larger cache (4MB instead of 3MB). Despite being larger it's probably still not going to do a huge amount so you're probably looking at a wash.

You're overcomplicating your mental picture of this by thinking of the 'T' spec chips as "downclocked". Or perhaps the right way to put it is that you're complicating it in the wrong direction. Silicon process variation causes chips to have probability distributions on many dimensions, and one of them is power (holding frequency constant). Intel can bin-sort on this and sell the ultra low power chips for more money.

They might also run some wafers with different process parameters. Leakier transistors switch faster, but use more power. By changing the process recipe a little, it's possible to deliberately skew the distribution of outcomes towards either slow-but-cool or fast-but-hot.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
I think I get it now. Thank you very much for that informative answer, BobHoward!

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Yeah, I should have specified that I was referring more to performance in multi-threaded CPU intensive tasks rather than games. I don't think we'll ever see a CPU give a big boost in gaming again for various different reasons.

Col.Kiwi posted:

That person has a seriously above-average chip. Yours I think is more average. I "sadly" have a below average 2500k in that it will NOT go beyond 4.2 and be stable, no matter what. But a 4.2GHz 2500k is still pretty goddamn good to be quite honest.

It's definitely above average but quite a few people were hitting those numbers, I had my 2600k at 5GHz on air but for some reason it runs hotter now than it used to so I can't crank the voltage up that high anymore. Still not bad having it at 4.5GHz on a $20 air cooler though.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 30, 2015

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 23, 2021

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

My SB-E (i7-3820) is still rarely a bottleneck at 3.8 GHz (up from 3.6 GHz stock). I have however considered following one of the guides to Nehalem-style overclock it to 4.625 GHz, though I'm not sure if my Corsair H60 is enough for that...

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
god I love this CPU. Now to try and get the goddamn heatsink right so it's not hitting 80C while doing this.

E: it drops back to 30C within a second or two after it's done encoding. Would that happen if the HSF was seated right?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Panty Saluter fucked around with this message at 16:31 on May 31, 2015

Diviance
Feb 11, 2004

Television rules the nation.
My 4790k will burst straight from about 33C up to about 65C in an instant if I encode in Handbrake, then drop almost straight back down to 33C within moments.

So aside from the upper heat you are hitting (which may or may not be normal, depending upon your ambient temp in the room) that is pretty normal for an Intel as far as I can tell.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Yeah I'm seeing now that 80C is pretty normal for a Haswell under normal duress (which x264 certainly qualifies for). I only see 60ish with video games so maybe I'm making a mountain out of a molehill.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Yea, its normal for temp to shoot up that fast.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Looks like all the Z170 boards are going to be DDR4 only and now I look like a dumb reddit idiot for buying 8 additional GB of DDR3L (albeit used for 50$) back in April :cry:

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Biostar is supposed to have at least 1.

Its going to be a 'budget' mobo though. I haven't been too impressed with their budget stuff before. Yea it was cheap but the build quality was PCChips-esque and they didn't last long.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Looks like all the Z170 boards are going to be DDR4 only and now I look like a dumb reddit idiot for buying 8 additional GB of DDR3L (albeit used for 50$) back in April :cry:
Biostar H170 comedy option:
http://wccftech.com/gigabyte-biostar-z170-motherboards-shown-preproduction-samples-featuring-ddr4ddr3l-combo-support/

(personally I would sell the DDR3L and get a Z170 and new RAM)

Edit: beaten!

Rastor fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 1, 2015

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Man that's a cheap-looking power delivery system. they took the time to put heat sinks on the VRMs and decorate them with bars that look like an equalizer display, I should give them credit I can understand why backwards compatibility would be limited to bottom-of-the-barrel boards since most big Z-board spenders either would pay for RAM anyways or already have DDR4 on X99. But I had to stick with my gut feeling which was actually just wishful thinkinggggggggggggggg

https://www.techpowerup.com/213060/klevv-shows-off-its-cras-creative-evolution-flagship-ddr4-module.html SK Hynix's direct-to-consumer brand is looking pretty nice for DDR4 though, complete with excessive light bar on top. wow it's available on newegg and im still reeling from sticker shock, $328 for 16gb of their slowest stuff and still >$280 for a possible future 2x8gb set.

more edits:

If I'm reading that right, that's a DDR3 board too, my kneejerk reaction was for the Micro ATX board with not as many power phases.

just a thought, not a commitment.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 2, 2015

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007
I WILL TAKE BETTER PICTURES OF MY DRAWINGS BEFORE POSTING THEM

Kazinsal posted:

My SB-E (i7-3820) is still rarely a bottleneck at 3.8 GHz (up from 3.6 GHz stock). I have however considered following one of the guides to Nehalem-style overclock it to 4.625 GHz, though I'm not sure if my Corsair H60 is enough for that...

I'm running the same CPU, but at 3.6GHz Stock. Although It's been verified stable at 4.5Ghz on the Corsair H100 I have. Wondering if I should try overclocking.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
http://wccftech.com/intel-core-i7-5775c-core-i5-5675c-broadwellk-processors-launched-computex-14nm-desktop-pcs/ Broadwell-K's out. The iGPU is really good. Like discrete GPU good.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i7-5775c-i5-5675c-broadwell,4169.html first initial review

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Huh that i5-5675C is listed cheaper than I thought it would be. Not bad for 275$ at all if you're building a small box with iGPU.
If you're too lazy to read it murders AMD A10's stone dead, and pokes the heels of low end AMD R7 and Nvidia 750 cards.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jun 2, 2015

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Is there any significant difference between Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200 (GT3e) and the Iris Pro Graphics 5200 (GT3e) from 2 years ago?

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.
Intel bought Altera for $16,7 billion.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
I have no idea who that is but apparently they're worth 10 times more than AMD :unsmith:

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

All those years AMD worked on APUs, and Intel just up and doubles their graphics performance in one release. Impressive, especially the power consumption figures.

Daviclond
May 20, 2006

Bad post sighted! Firing.

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Broadwell-K's out. The iGPU is really good. Like discrete GPU good.

Just to temper any expectations, the iGPU was 15 % slower than a GTX 750 (non-Ti) playing GTA V at 720p minimum settings. A cool boost nonetheless, but not quite displacing low-end dGPUs yet.

Rastor posted:

Is there any significant difference between Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200 (GT3e) and the Iris Pro Graphics 5200 (GT3e) from 2 years ago?

From the TH review it looks like they've increased the number of EUs.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

sauer kraut posted:

I have no idea who that is but apparently they're worth 10 times more than AMD :unsmith:

They make FPGAs, chips that can be programmed at the hardware level rather than running software.

They're expensive but extremely useful for high-bandwidth/low-latency stuff - the G-Sync module uses an Altera FPGA to do the heavy lifting for example.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

sauer kraut posted:

They make FPGAs and other programmable logic devices.

I found this surprising at first, but Intel is clearly trying to diversify its offerings. I'd think there would be a usage case for FPGA type devices in a super computing application in combination with the Phi and a standard Xeon.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

It's really impressive how good Intel's iGPUs have become. Not even 5 years ago they were still considered a joke that choked on anything more intensive than drawing a a couple of windows on the desktop.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

BurritoJustice posted:

All those years AMD worked on APUs, and Intel just up and doubles their graphics performance in one release. Impressive, especially the power consumption figures.

did anyone expect anything different?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

RIP amd

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Daviclond posted:

From the TH review it looks like they've increased the number of EUs.
Sure, but I guess what I'm saying is these articles are focusing only on Intel's socketed offerings and talking about huge increase over HD Graphics 4600. But back in 2013 we had the Core i5-4570R, Core i5-4670R, and Core i7-4770R. Compared there, this seems like a very small change (48 EUs instead of 40 EUs). It's an interesting chip, but the headline should be "Intel finally releases Iris Pro on socketed chip", not "It's really impressive how good Intel's iGPUs have become", because they were like this 2 years ago.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Is that quad core i5 an error?

Or did they finally give mobile i5 four actual cores? Also shouldn't i5 be cheaper than i7?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
The weak CPU performance increases once again mean nobody needs to upgrade, but that said...

Holy poo poo snacks, those iGPU numbers are seriously impressive. Well, they out-AMD'd AMD in that market, and now it's looking reasonable to build an HTPC/entry level gaming machine with no GPU. That's one hell of a small, efficient box.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 2, 2015

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

Don't let Charlie Demerjian know.

E: So, the only 4 thread CPU on offer is the 5675C which has less L3 cache than my 4690K?

Khagan fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jun 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Khagan posted:

E: So, the only 4 thread CPU on offer is the 5675C which has less L3 cache than my 4690K?

It has 80$ worth of edram, if you have a graphics card Broadwell is not targeted at you anyway.