Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The best way to not advocate it would be to not discuss it,and instead talk about Good Polish Game Made With Intelligence and Care The Witcher 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Can I appeal to the collective mind of SA? I want to check out some good comic book videos (reviews, video essays, etc.) but don't know where to start. Also, the less "humor" and sketches there are, the better.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PiedPiper posted:

Can I appeal to the collective mind of SA? I want to check out some good comic book videos (reviews, video essays, etc.) but don't know where to start. Also, the less "humor" and sketches there are, the better.

Chris Sims at Comics Alliance has a weekly column (not videos, though he did have a short video series for a while last year) which I usually enjoy, if you're not already familiar with it, of course.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
There is also Comics Explained: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKxQmKgrkUv4S7P5w0pLayw

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Rodyle posted:

The best way to not advocate it would be to not discuss it,and instead talk about Good Polish Game Made With Intelligence and Care The Witcher 3.

I think my desktop just shat the bed. :( (it will suddenly shutdown then start back up. Last night it did it again but now won't boot.) it's gonna be awhile before I can take a shot at it.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

BigRed0427 posted:

I think my desktop just shat the bed. :( (it will suddenly shutdown then start back up. Last night it did it again but now won't boot.) it's gonna be awhile before I can take a shot at it.

If you have a ps4, that version is totally fine. If not, hey,maybe the expansions will be done when you can play it!

It's a fantastic game. Sort of convinced me to go back to the books actually.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Rodyle posted:

If you have a ps4, that version is totally fine. If not, hey,maybe the expansions will be done when you can play it!

It's a fantastic game. Sort of convinced me to go back to the books actually.

If you go back to the books be prepared for an avalanche of references and callbacks. I thought the first game was laden with callbacks to The Last Wish, but Witcher 2 pretty much snags wholesale entire plotlines from Time of Contempt and Baptism of Fire. I can't imagine how many references Witcher 3 has, considering it is pretty much the Second Nilfgaard War without a Brenna.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

If you go back to the books be prepared for an avalanche of references and callbacks. I thought the first game was laden with callbacks to The Last Wish, but Witcher 2 pretty much snags wholesale entire plotlines from Time of Contempt and Baptism of Fire. I can't imagine how many references Witcher 3 has, considering it is pretty much the Second Nilfgaard War without a Brenna.

There's a quest line in 3 that's an epilogue to The Last Wish. The short story itself, not the collection. Also aside from a tiny bit of 1 my experience with the franchise prior to this was actually just The Last Wish and The Blood of Elves so :v:

3 does tie into the books a lot though yeah, it heavily features the Aen Elle for example.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Hatred is only made by Neo-Nazis if you homogenize every right-wing European group into "Neo-Nazis". Which on the surface is ok I guess, but also facilitates Americans not knowing anything at all about the complexities rest of the world and obfuscating what those groups actually advocate.

What right wing European group is this exactly?

Anywho Pre-Rec cover Broken Age a point a click game by the guy/company that made Psychonauts and..... other things.

Beware of spoilers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihR12J5HRcM

I kinda like point and clicks, never gotten the hang of text adventures. The appeal for me is story and characters, I was and still am one of those people who kept getting stuck and leaving games half complete.This looks interesting but not something I really have to play. Since this was kickstarted I'm guessing there'll be some bitter tweets from a few disgruntled backers.*

*I'm assuming the $400 million is an exaggerated joke but that still means it was pretty successful, I guess that'll factor into its coverage and backlash.

Baka-nin fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 2, 2015

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Baka-nin posted:

Anywho Pre-Rec cover Broken Age a point a click game by the guy/company that made Psychonauts and..... other things.

Beware of spoilers

I kinda like point and clicks, never gotten the hang of text adventures. The appeal for me is story and characters, I was and still am one of those people who kept getting stuck and leaving games half complete.This looks interesting but not something I really have to play. Since this was kickstarted I'm guessing there'll be some bitter tweets from a few disgruntled backers.*

*I'm assuming the $400 million is an exaggerated joke but that still means it was pretty successful, I guess that'll factor into its coverage and backlash.

Broken Age is a game that was hurt by being released in two parts. For one, it feels like a lesser experience when played months/years apart. For another, if they had waited and released the whole thing at once, they might have done some of the things recommended in Pre-Rec, like making you switch between characters earlier and more often.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

BigRed0427 posted:

I kind of have this idea for a somewhat parody of it, where instead of killing people you have to perform random acts of kindness. I've been writing a bunch of comic scripts and wanna try making this. :shobon:

Did you happen to work on Coca Cola's advertising wing a few years back?

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
If Hitler made Mega Man 2 I still would play it and call it my favorite game.

Hatred looks like a bad game either way though.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 2, 2015

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Baka-nin posted:

Since this was kickstarted I'm guessing there'll be some bitter tweets from a few disgruntled backers.*

Yeah people were bitter even though the kickstarter told you what it was going to do and hey you got an extensive documentary series that showed you the process it takes to make a game (and also Tim Schafer is kind of not good with money/time/resource management)

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Ever since I got tricked by Brutal Legends demo my policy has been "pirate before you pay."

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 2, 2015

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

There was also the Burger King Xbox game where you delivered burgers to people. The only issue was that well you're the horrifying burger king mannequin thing.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Sneak King is wonderful precisely because of that!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah people were bitter even though the kickstarter told you what it was going to do and hey you got an extensive documentary series that showed you the process it takes to make a game (and also Tim Schafer is kind of not good with money/time/resource management)

Yeah, the main goal of the kickstarter was actually the documentary more than the game. People just failed to realize this.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Baka-nin posted:

Beware of spoilers

Don't waste your money.

The first half is a pretty nice and fun story, with easy puzzles and the second half is just an awful nonsensical mess that, with puzzles that require stupid logical leaps to make the connection on how to solve them or needless8 backtracking if you get them wrong once based off really vague information ( gently caress knot puzzles).

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

PiedPiper posted:

SFdebris is starting a series on the history of comics soon (June 4th), so that's definitely worth looking into.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

PiedPiper posted:

Comics Explained is a good start, he has literally no sketches and looks at a ton of different stuff: https://www.youtube.com/user/fluidicbeats

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jun 3, 2015

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah, the main goal of the kickstarter was actually the documentary more than the game. People just failed to realize this.
Much how they failed to realize that Brutal Legend was more about the Multiplayer than the singleplayer (and that it was an RTS, but EA made sure to hide that in its commercials)

Though I wish Brutal Legend's singleplayer was a bit less fast after the midway point. Mainly because Eddie Riggs is unironically my favorite character in any media ever, like for someone voiced by Jack Black he's surprisingly humble and not wanting the center of attention, it was really refreshing to see a main character like that in a video game.

Also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjQR9UQg7Wg
Suburban Knights is the worst Channel Awesome special for me at least.

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jun 3, 2015

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

OldTennisCourt posted:

Comics Explained is a good start, he has literally no sketches and looks at a ton of different stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?fluidicbeats

Youtube is telling me that this does not exist

kaleidolia
Apr 25, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

Also:

They're all terrible in their own special way.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
Really SK was my favorite channel awesome annual special (aside from maybe epic brawl). Although it's like picking my favorite turd sandwich.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

achillesforever6 posted:

Much how they failed to realize that Brutal Legend was more about the Multiplayer than the singleplayer (and that it was an RTS, but EA made sure to hide that in its commercials)

Though I wish Brutal Legend's singleplayer was a bit less fast after the midway point. Mainly because Eddie Riggs is unironically my favorite character in any media ever, like for someone voiced by Jack Black he's surprisingly humble and not wanting the center of attention, it was really refreshing to see a main character like that in a video game.

Also:

For as much as I hate that special, to me To Boldly Flee offends me more.

I feel the CA specials just declining in quality. The brawl is the only one I can really say is good, because it was short and to the point.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Youtube is telling me that this does not exist

For some reason the forum was cutting off the name or something

https://www.youtube.com/user/fluidicbeats

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

PassTheRemote posted:

I feel the CA specials just declining in quality. The brawl is the only one I can really say is good, because it was short and to the point.

Eh, maybe, but I remember cringing through most of it. Now I could only bear to see each one of these things once. The brawl was good because it was the first one and it was shorter than others. But it was really cheesy and felt long despite its length. Still James Rolfe earned it some points and it had enough laughs to keep me watching to the end. I liked the novelty of seeing all the reviewers together, it was a cool idea. Kickassia was terrible though. Way too long and terribly made, and despite a few funny moments, I thought it was a huge waste of time to watch that turd. Still, I watched the whole thing, so it had enough laughs to keep me going. Though I think part of it was just me just enjoying riffing on it. Maybe that's why I liked SK the best, because I was expecting it to be as bad as Kickassia but it wasn't. Sure it had lots of cringe, but there were also lots of parts where I laughed pretty hard. I think they learned from their mistakes in Kickassia and actually turned a turd sandwich into a gourmet turd sandwich. Still a turd sandwich though. But that meant there was plenty of good stuff to riff on too. To Boldly Flee was pretty bad. Not Kickassia bad, but bad ... and long. Actually it was worse than Kickassia because it was so loving long. There were some funny moments, and even some good bits of writing here and there, but overall it was a mess. I think everyone was just starting to burn out and it just didn't seem as much fun as the others. I didn't bother watching that last one they did. Uncanny Valley? I started watching it, but after a few seconds of seeing a guy in a top hat monologuing I was just like "nope don't have time for this poo poo for another 2 hours." I'm honestly surprised I watched as much of that stuff as I did. Then again, here I am wasting my precious time on this forum posting about it.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jun 3, 2015

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

BigRed0427 posted:

I kind of have this idea for a somewhat parody of it, where instead of killing people you have to perform random acts of kindness. I've been writing a bunch of comic scripts and wanna try making this. :shobon:

The one thing that this brings to mind for me is Mega64's Doug Huggem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YGu4zQgTvg

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

PassTheRemote posted:

I actually remember on the old Internet Critic thread that it was okay, but you know in retrospect it is pretty offensive with how much they just ape scenes from movies and call it "Parody"

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
All of the individual episodes of To Boldly Flee are much, much better than Kickassia and Suburban Knights, and it's tolerable if you watch it as a serial, but if you're masochistic enough to watch it all in one sitting you're going to come away with the impression that it's the worst of the specials.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jun 3, 2015

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I see the anniversary specials as goofy and silly free for alls with a loose story to connect scenes and jokes together. I have also seen people compare the anniversary specials (more specifically SK and TBF) to the Seltzerberg movies in that they steal from other movies and think references are somehow inherently funny. Whether or not you think there's merit in that comparison, that's up to you. Me personally, I would choose the specials over the other option because the people in the specials have a love and appreciation for movies that the Seltzerberg people don't seem to have. The specials are not the best, but they are far from the worst.

Mraagvpeine fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jun 3, 2015

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
To Boldly Flee is the ultimate bad movie and should be seen by anyone who claims to have an interest in cinema or pop culture.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

PassTheRemote posted:

I liked the Brawl almost in spite of CA, with most of my amusement coming from James Rolfe.

Kickassia was an odd duck for me. It introduced me to Brad Jones, the overacted Spoony->Insano transformation scene was embarrassingly entertaining, and Doug's intentionally creepy moments were legit creepy. But throughout it I felt awkward for the people involved with it. The horror stories from later on didn't help.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
To boldly Flee did give us the Spoony Dune scene, for what it's worth.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

achillesforever6 posted:

I actually remember on the old Internet Critic thread that it was okay, but you know in retrospect it is pretty offensive with how much they just ape scenes from movies and call it "Parody"

Especially after the NC rant on the Friedberg and Seltzer movies. What Doug did is far worse.

MonsieurChoc posted:

To boldly Flee did give us the Spoony Dune scene, for what it's worth.

My retinas still have not recovered.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PassTheRemote posted:

My retinas still have not recovered.

No-one's retinas have. :shepicide:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I barely remember the Brawl. Kickassia was mostly lame. Suburban Knights had two good things:

1. Brad Jones's Harrison Ford impression

2. Spoony explaining LARPing etiquette to a bad guy.

To Boldly Flee was fine.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
To Boldly Flee was the only special that I found sincerely entertaining at the time of watching, though there was at least one whole episode that could have been excised entirely (the one that's just an eight-minute sequence of Doug dressed as Robocop).

Also had Sad Panda, who was hilarious and not just in an ironic Internet way.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Oxxidation posted:

(the one that's just an eight-minute sequence of Doug dressed as Judge Dredd).

ftfy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Even as a stupid, teenage megafan I still got bored with Kickassia. Every consecutive movie after that had way worse low points but they also had better high points. The whole role-playing gimmick of Suburban Knights was really grating though.

I do remember really enjoying three of the shorts for Uncanny Valley but that's probably because the Walker brothers didn't really have anything to do with them.

• Locked thread