Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
So when they're spinning around like tops, what are they doing? Just quickly throwing their mouse in once direction? Is the best way to counter it a maul to the head? I'm not terribly amazing at the game but generally hold my own, but still have trouble really getting it through my head whats going on at those moments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Inside Out Mom posted:

So when they're spinning around like tops, what are they doing? Just quickly throwing their mouse in once direction? Is the best way to counter it a maul to the head? I'm not terribly amazing at the game but generally hold my own, but still have trouble really getting it through my head whats going on at those moments.

What I think they're doing is continuing their swing through so that when the swing again they're facing you in the direction of their next swing. Thing is I really have no idea what the gently caress they're doing.

My strategy is basically just back up, back up, parry. Swing, parry, swing.

I also generally have been playing a messer knight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soNwTt_cycY

Blimpkin fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jun 2, 2015

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
I saw some vanguard with a claymore or something doing spin last night and I got lucky on one shot. I was able to time running in with an overhead strike and just flatten him. Still the only thing I have issues with because some how they do just as much damage with the sword behind them as it would in front so who knows.

I've fallen in love with the Maul. Hit me up sometime if you want to be a knight of old together.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Inside Out Mom posted:

usually the best solution is to find another server because fighting those guys is a huge loving un-fun chore no matter how good you are at the game

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Inside Out Mom posted:

I saw some vanguard with a claymore or something doing spin last night and I got lucky on one shot. I was able to time running in with an overhead strike and just flatten him. Still the only thing I have issues with because some how they do just as much damage with the sword behind them as it would in front so who knows.

I've fallen in love with the Maul. Hit me up sometime if you want to be a knight of old together.

I'm either Blimpkin (rank 42) or sword.exe (rank 10). I'm down sometime.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Inside Out Mom posted:

I am pretty much a dedicated Axe Knight and have been getting a bit of a Chivalry itch lately, so I'm down for some Knightly violence sometime. I'm Diplomat on Steam. You'll know you've got the right Diplomat when you see a Goomba from the Mario Bros. movie:

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
Added the both of you. Couldn't find sword.exe. Also add Paul Blart Maul Cop as he is my hammer bro and will be glad to join us. He is Cliffdiver on the forums here.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Inside Out Mom posted:

Added the both of you. Couldn't find sword.exe. Also add Paul Blart Maul Cop as he is my hammer bro and will be glad to join us. He is Cliffdiver on the forums here.

I hadnt set up community for my alt and now it is so you can find me.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Angry Diplomat posted:

I'm the guy who's always pursuing the objective with psychotic fervor.

Being a knight with the Kite shield just chilling near the object that needs to be moved is one of the biggest trolls you can do in this game.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Mans posted:

Being a knight with the Kite shield just chilling near the object that needs to be moved is one of the biggest trolls you can do in this game.

Why the kite shield? I use the tower shield sometimes because I figure it has better coverage and less stagger, but I don't really know much about the shield mechanics as I don't use them terribly often.

e: I do like to shield up and dance around blocking my teammates from view when the enemy team has a ton of archers on its fortifications, though.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Inside Out Mom posted:

The best tactic is to keep your distance, wait for them to make a move and then swoop in when they're recovering. Back away again if you miss, don't let them bait you into following them.

e: Mans I didn't know you played this, you should play TO with me on one of the Euro servers sometime

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 2, 2015

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet

Phlegmish posted:

The best tactic is to keep your distance, wait for them to make a move and then swoop in when they're recovering. Back away again if you miss, don't let them bait you into following them.

e: Mans I didn't know you played this, you should play TO with me on one of the Euro servers sometime

Thats what I figured. I did seem to exhaust the bag of tricks the one guy had last night by doing that.

If I didn't add you or couldn't find your profile or whatever, here's my info.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/znorps

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!
Set my name back to cliffdiver after last night but I guess I'll keep it Paul Blart Maul Cop for a while so people can find me. I'm just very self-conscious about my online gaming image and I don't want my four other Steam friends to judge me.

Kreittis
Jan 7, 2010

Foxhound? Houndfox.

Lots of hackusations flying around these days though, I was accused of hacking/cheating two times today.

Good thing that I don't give a gently caress since I can just maul their heads in and laugh at their whining.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

You're totally a hacker, check out his unrealistic score:

I deserved that number one spot.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
Chaospainter was starting to get tired of my poo poo here:

Kreittis
Jan 7, 2010

Foxhound? Houndfox.

Phlegmish posted:

You're totally a hacker, check out his unrealistic score:

I deserved that number one spot.

Notice how only we have positive K/D ratios.

That was a terrible round, I bet 80% of the damage I took was from teammates plus they refused to push forward even when I mowed down all the defenders.

At least nobody accused me of hacking in that map.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
I know a lot of you guys are tons better than I, but I was pretty proud of these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mse-C50tNM0

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

I just had someone call me a dirty Jew hacker after beating him in a duel server. I chopped him up real fast with a man-at-arms. That was nice. I don't even think I'm all that good at this game either, considering how high my rank is. I just hit rank 41, and I constantly struggle against people around the same rank as me, especially at duels. On duel servers I routinely get stomped by people half my rank. I'm just not that fast at blocking and reading their moves.

The combat system in this game is just so clunky and awkward sometimes. Unless you spend like 200 hours on it, it just feels like awkward flailing about.

I mostly just like to run around stabbing people in the back and setting them on fire in team objective while spamming the laugh command and going HURRRGLEBURGLEBLRRRR. I was getting a bit bored with that though so I started practicing with those stupid twirly, glitchy moves that all those high level competitive players do.

Some of those twirly moves you can make are kinda neat though IMO. Like the jumping spin this guy does at 8:50:
Watch it at 0.25 speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAlhHaEpWV8&t=530s

Those 'rainbow' reverse overhead things are so freaking stupid though. The high level fights in this game can look so weird when both players are abusing those moves all the time. I've been watching this guy's videos for a little while, and he does it a lot. You turn around, look up (or crouch) and do an overhead while the other guy is behind you so he gets hit with the very first frame of the attack animation. It's not so bad when you accelerate a hit with a regular slash, but that reverse overhead looks so dumb.

In this video he keeps fighting 'THe 1 fatguy' who abuses that move constantly. Just look at how stupid these duels look. I fought that same guy on that same server a little while ago and he was really difficult to kill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENsvmluec64&t=227s

It's stupid as hell but it does take practice to get those moves right. I admit that I was trying to abuse them myself in team objective mode earlier, to varying degrees of success. It can be really funny sometimes when you are holding off 3 or 4 guys at once by twirling around like an idiot.

Ivan Shitskin fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jun 7, 2015

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Blimpkin posted:

What I think they're doing is continuing their swing through so that when the swing again they're facing you in the direction of their next swing. Thing is I really have no idea what the gently caress they're doing.

My strategy is basically just back up, back up, parry. Swing, parry, swing.

I also generally have been playing a messer knight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soNwTt_cycY

wow, now i remember why i stopped playing this game.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Never played duels, didn't realize how deep the terribleness went...

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
The free weekend was, as usual, glorious. Getting attacked by three guys at once and coming out on top thanks to just plain old parrying and footwork felt soooo loving good.

A triple kill with a Zweihander vanguard charge felt pretty good too.

Kreittis
Jan 7, 2010

Foxhound? Houndfox.

Kenzie posted:

Unless you spend like 200 hours on it, it just feels like awkward flailing about.

200?

Also, if you guys want to see some actual duels without stupid spinning, I would recommend SnS channel (no longer updating though). It was ran by Shard and Sophax, both "competitive" (as competitive as you can in Chiv really) players. Some also consider Sophax the best player in EU.

And he doesn't spin.

This is him acing 6 man kendo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmXfmRTzNVA

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
And, naturally, he's getting poo poo in the comments for feinting.

Moral of the story is: Never not feint, because it A) works, and B) Pisses poo poo pubbies off.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Nordick posted:

Moral of the story is: Never not feint, because it A) works, and B) Pisses poo poo pubbies off.

I smiled when I saw the earlier "Dank Duels" video feint to kill the limbo dancer :allears: I'll check out the latest link later.

I haven't played this in ages, I never hit much better than "a bit above average", but I could never get mad at people feinting me.

Likely for the reason so many people flip their poo poo about it. Because when you die to a feint, you think "Oh whoops, I died because I was a dumbass". Which of course is just unacceptable to pro MLG contortionists, it CAN'T be their fault!

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Can someone explain what handle hits are and when they happen? I thought they were taken out of the game a long time ago but I still hear people talk about them from time to time.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Nordick posted:

"Feints are too op"

lol this game is 90% idiots

Kreittis
Jan 7, 2010

Foxhound? Houndfox.

Jabarto posted:

Can someone explain what handle hits are and when they happen? I thought they were taken out of the game a long time ago but I still hear people talk about them from time to time.

Handle hits were hitting people literally as soon as the damage tracers start with polearms etc. since if you were facehugging, the handle was literally inside your opponent and the game used to draw damage tracers on the whole weapon model.

They are long gone though so if someone is still crying about handlehits, he's just bad.

In other news, dedicated good archer support is stupid strong.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
I seriously love when I get screamed at for feints. It's like bitch please, you got out played and now my hammer is dirty. And when I get got by a feint you just have to accept you got out played. But yeah there are tons of raging tards in this game, but that's what makes it so fun.

The only things that still irk me with this game are the random team switches. It always seems to choose me despite how much work I'm doing for my current team. Hey nice job getting the cart all the way up here and loving over the defense, now lead the defense.

And getting caught on stray pieces of the level geometry. So frustrating. There are parts of the map where they could seriously just make them just cosmetic and help the flow, but I doubt anyone is really doing any sort of support aside from hats these days.

Still hooked on this game. One day I'll have to try another weapon aside from the Maul. I've thought about archer but I'm so trash with it.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Kreittis posted:

In other news, dedicated good archer support is stupid strong.

When I realized how effective the mid-to-short range Archer was it was like a whole new game. I felt like Legolas, and knives are amazing since you get good using them while other players don't fight against them often.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I remember a long time ago I would hop into duel servers occasionally and I played Knife Archer with the pointy stabby knife and I kept getting matched up against a dude with a warhammer that I dominated repeatedly and he constantly raged over his mic and called me a human being and a tryhard and a cheater, as if he wasn't using a weapon that would immediately pulverize me if I was maybe an inch closer than where I as standing while waiting for him to swing so I could run up, stab, and then run away

Anyay he eventually started throwing himself into lava while at the same time calling me a baby and a coward and people like him are while I don't play Chivalry anymore, thank you for your time god bless

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

I remember a long time ago I would hop into duel servers occasionally and I played Knife Archer with the pointy stabby knife and I kept getting matched up against a dude with a warhammer that I dominated repeatedly and he constantly raged over his mic and called me a human being and a tryhard and a cheater, as if he wasn't using a weapon that would immediately pulverize me if I was maybe an inch closer than where I as standing while waiting for him to swing so I could run up, stab, and then run away

Anyay he eventually started throwing himself into lava while at the same time calling me a baby and a coward and people like him are while I don't play Chivalry anymore, thank you for your time god bless

*does weird knife block animation as a show of solidarity*

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
So the best strategy for dealing with a knife archer is to run away to other team mates, pull out your back up weapon, or just hope you can kill them before they land an attack? When I'm Maulin it's the only thing I have trouble dealing with.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I got chiv on kickstarter and have played it on and off ever since, it's one of my favorite games of all time.

If you get a chance check out the Power Hour server, it's hour long FFA matches in small dueling maps.

Kreittis
Jan 7, 2010

Foxhound? Houndfox.

Inside Out Mom posted:

So the best strategy for dealing with a knife archer is to run away to other team mates, pull out your back up weapon, or just hope you can kill them before they land an attack? When I'm Maulin it's the only thing I have trouble dealing with.

Hahaha, no. The best way to deal with daggers is become a master fakir contortionist in full plate armor. Dagger reach is TINY, learn to matrix and you will be able to deal with all the pesky butterknife archers.

If they suck.

If you are facing veteran archer who actually knows what he is doing, cross your fingers, pray to Khorne or whatever you worship and hope for the best.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
I didn't realize ducking had such an impact.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I more or less stopped playing the game ages ago because every server seemed to be dominated by vanguards either helicoptering around or doing overheads while staring at the ground. Maybe I'm just a casual scrub?

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Babe Magnet posted:

I kinda want to try this now. I never played archer very much. I just like to annoy people as a man at arms.

I'm gonna try playing an annoying archer who feints all the time.

:monocle:

I wonder how many hours you have to play to get to rank 60.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Kreittis posted:

Hahaha, no. The best way to deal with daggers is become a master fakir contortionist in full plate armor. Dagger reach is TINY, learn to matrix and you will be able to deal with all the pesky butterknife archers.

If they suck.

If you are facing veteran archer who actually knows what he is doing, cross your fingers, pray to Khorne or whatever you worship and hope for the best.

Sometimes I just crowd around players and pretend I'm kissing them and don't even attack, since players will M1 the poo poo out of themselves trying to hit you and then they just die tired when I run around behind them and overhead em :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Gotta laugh about people who play this game though: hit crouch when the enemy attacks then strafe into their attack while looking up and drag against your overhead slice while contorting your body towards them.

Don't feint though, that's stupid.

• Locked thread