Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

I wonder if DD has actually learned anything at all, or if this year's run will be just as much of a fantastic trainwreck as before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

hell yeah, puwexil's a cool dude

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I'm in the ship graveyard. When I look at the skeletons I see Glenn Hughes from the Village People.

The skeleton in question :

What I cannot unsee :

(Bandana over eyes, forehead=nose, handlebar moustache)

khy fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 2, 2015

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
This year, to try and convince my friends to participate, I said Id pay 5$ to charity for every one of them that finished a Fiesta.

So far, gauging from their interest, I should pay between 0$ and 10$.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Fungah! posted:

hell yeah, puwexil's a cool dude

Honestly, aside from Dragondarch they all are.

Hell, I'd be okay with DD having a run for redemption, even, but given that he had issues killing the superbosses with Blue/White/???/Chemist last year, I don't really expect that to happen. :v:

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

khy posted:

I'm in the ship graveyard. When I look at the skeletons I see Glenn Hughes from the Village People.

What I cannot unsee :

Man that version looks kinda ugly.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Kyrosiris posted:

Hell, I'd be okay with DD having a run for redemption, even, but given that he had issues killing the superbosses with Blue/White/???/Chemist last year, I don't really expect that to happen. :v:

Ok despite all the stories I've read so far regarding stupid things the runners did, THIS is pretty bad.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Golden Goat posted:

It's a language patched SNES ROM from, uh.

When I was still in high school. So, like... 1997-1998ish.

Running on Snes9x EX+ 1.5.26, no filters on that I can tell. (Except 'image effect' is set to hq2x, I set it to scale2x and it doesn't look much different to me)

I may look into the android version, what (if anything) does it improve upon?

E: Here's what 'scale2x' looks like

On the smaller android screen it doesn't look much different but when I view the 1080p screenshots I can see a huge difference between hq2x

khy fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jun 2, 2015

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

khy posted:

It's just patched SNES ROM

Sorry I thought it was the android version.

Turn off those filters then.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Super Eagle is a horrible monstrosity.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
What was the most number of runs completed last summer by a single person?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

69 with a cumulative time of 420 manhours

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

yospos bitch

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Poque posted:

What was the most number of runs completed last summer by a single person?

It's in the 2014 infographic, but someone did 21, and someone else did 20.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Kyrosiris posted:

I missed the run itself, but to be fair very few jobs can trivialize Omega. Chemist doesn't trivialize him- if the stars align and you can get all the right buffs in place before he destroys you (which usually takes quite a few resets), he has a hard time killing you, but you may have a very hard time killing him back. Also, I'm guessing a speedrunner didn't have time to grind out a ton of items for the chemist to mix. Killing Omega with a Chemist takes a pretty serious stockpile of good items.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Schwartzcough posted:

I missed the run itself, but to be fair very few jobs can trivialize Omega. Chemist doesn't trivialize him- if the stars align and you can get all the right buffs in place before he destroys you (which usually takes quite a few resets), he has a hard time killing you, but you may have a very hard time killing him back. Also, I'm guessing a speedrunner didn't have time to grind out a ton of items for the chemist to mix. Killing Omega with a Chemist takes a pretty serious stockpile of good items.

Chemist neutralizes literally every ability he uses aside from Wave Cannon, which you top up with X-Potions.

And again, I've three-boss cleared with a similar team in under 12 hours game time, it has nothing to do with not wanting to grind - remember, he spent two loving hours spamming !Control on Shield Dragons in his main run - and everything to do with him being bad. :v:

E: getting the requisite goodies for a full Rift run including murdering Omega and Shinryu as you see them - which is basically 60 shells, 40 fangs, and 5 dark matter - can be done in like, an hour tops.

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jun 2, 2015

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'd love to see a goon play alongside these guys to see how one of us would compare.

I'm also looking forward to more quotes for .dd

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Mega64 posted:

I'd love to see a goon play alongside these guys to see how one of us would compare.

I think a majority of the people here who play most frequently have the problem where they just hold down the speedup button through the entire game instead of playing like a sane individual.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
So this'll be my first FJF and my first time playing FF5 at all in like 10+ years- am I going to hit some kind of complete brick wall challenge wise? I realize of course that some combinations are easier than others for sure but I'm hearing a lot of stuff like "don't level up that's stupid," which is definitely not how I was imagining playing it.

I guess is there a generic "things you should know before you try this"?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Mega64 posted:

i was actually thinking about doing it. i do completionist runs so i'd probably run slow though

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Poulpe posted:

So this'll be my first FJF and my first time playing FF5 at all in like 10+ years- am I going to hit some kind of complete brick wall challenge wise? I realize of course that some combinations are easier than others for sure but I'm hearing a lot of stuff like "don't level up that's stupid," which is definitely not how I was imagining playing it.

Basically just ask in the thread or in the IRC channel if you're having trouble somewhere. Depending on what jobs you have there might be some fancy tricks you can pull off that don't involve grinding.

There's also a google doc (that's in the OP?) that has a big list of tips for certain jobs/bosses.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

matter of fact gently caress it, i'm going to run alongside dd with the same team and see how well i do. probably won't be able to run it simultaneously because of work and poo poo but i bet i can beat his overall time

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Lilli posted:

I think a majority of the people here who play most frequently have the problem where they just hold down the speedup button through the entire game instead of playing like a sane individual.

There's only so many times you can watch the same cutscenes in the space of two months.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Saigyouji posted:

There's only so many times you can watch the same cutscenes in the space of two months.

"Ouch, this splinter really hurts!" *entire tree comes out of leg*

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Golden Goat posted:

There's some lovely antialiasing going on in that emulator, whatever it is. I suppose it's to be expected from phone-based emulators.

Poulpe posted:

You're hearing slightly wrong. "don't level up" is advice for FF8. Levelling up is fine in FF5, but there's very very rarely any reason that you would have to grind for levels; if levelgrinding is your last resort for something, either you've got a team that has issues with that part (Monk/Berserker/Bard or Ranger vs Byblos comes to mind), or you're doing something wrong and should ask the thread for help.

Almost every boss in this game has some achilles heel that can be exploited, be it an elemental weakness or a crippling overreliance on reflectable magic or something like that.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 2, 2015

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Poulpe posted:

leveling up's totally fine, most teams actually have to do it to make it through the last boss. all leveling does is increase your HP/MP max and very rarely bump your damage multipliers though so grinding doesn't matter much. your stats are set by your character and job with modifiers from equipment, there's no stat growth through leveling

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Kyrosiris posted:

Chemist neutralizes literally every ability he uses aside from Wave Cannon, which you top up with X-Potions.

That still doesn't trivialize Omega since it can still wipe your party before you get all the necessary buffs up, and this can be especially difficult if you don't catch it on a preemptive strike.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Twelve by Pies posted:

That still doesn't trivialize Omega since it can still wipe your party before you get all the necessary buffs up, and this can be especially difficult if you don't catch it on a preemptive strike.

Everything that Omega can do on his first action is reflectable. You go in with Reflect Rings, layer necessary protections on whomever is killing Omega (your best Magic score character), and go nuts.

I've done it loads of times, the first attempt, every time. Go in already levitating, get up Goliath Tonic, Hasty-Ade, Dragon Defense, and Dragon's Kiss in the first act, then get up Life Potion, Resist Fire, and have the person that's going to kill Omega heal themselves with an X-Potion.

Voila, you are invincible (assuming you don't gently caress up your attack timing/X-Potion usage). Proceed to level up to 255, cut his defense to 2, and then Succubus Kiss for hysterical damage.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

So anyway. Picked up the android version because why the gently caress not. NEW CLASSES! But I imagine that the FF5JF won't assign new classes, since Gilgabot can't identify which version someone's using. Shame. What the hell does an 'oracle' bring to the table anyway?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

khy posted:

So anyway. Picked up the android version because why the gently caress not. NEW CLASSES! But I imagine that the FF5JF won't assign new classes, since Gilgabot can't identify which version someone's using. Shame. What the hell does an 'oracle' bring to the table anyway?

The best magic score in the game and a command literally worse than !Gaia, which is a major accomplishment.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
So dumb question and I'm sure this has been asked numerous times: is there a guide for general gear that you should grab/steal to make the run as smooth as possible?

Things like the Fire Rings and the Elven Mantle I wouldn't have known about without reading the thread.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Jesus. Those japanese character portraits are so loving ridiculous.

Butz/Bartz/Fartz has blue/purple lipstick. What the christ. Thought at least Faris' character portrait is more androgynous than her sprite is.

khy fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 2, 2015

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Mayor McCheese posted:

So dumb question and I'm sure this has been asked numerous times: is there a guide for general gear that you should grab/steal to make the run as smooth as possible?

Things like the Fire Rings and the Elven Mantle I wouldn't have known about without reading the thread.

That's what the good stuff guide linked in the OP is, basically. http://bit.ly/MDHYJl

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I wish #classic weren't forced-natural. That'd end up being fun (mostly due to being super-easy if your luck isn't a disaster).

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Poque posted:

I wish #classic weren't forced-natural. That'd end up being fun (mostly due to being super-easy if your luck isn't a disaster).

You could always job fair any non-Classic job you get.

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011
elmagus #1, team y burns for life

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Kewpuh posted:

just let me know when

When

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

:patriot: woof :patriot:

khy posted:

What I cannot unsee :

poo poo, now it's all I can see too. you've ruined it.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

The best magic score in the game and a command literally worse than !Gaia, which is a major accomplishment.

So, the best magic for a rune axe berserker :dance:?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Kyrosiris posted:

That's what the good stuff guide linked in the OP is, basically. http://bit.ly/MDHYJl

:doh:

Don't know how I missed it. Thanks!

• Locked thread