Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

If RICO charges were brought against FIFA wouldn't they immediately plead guilty, at least to some lesser charges? That would preempt any difficulty working with U.S. based sponsors. Reading the wikipedia page on RICO, that seems to be the strategy used by most businesses staring down the barrel of that particular gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Squalid posted:

If RICO charges were brought against FIFA wouldn't they immediately plead guilty, at least to some lesser charges? That would preempt any difficulty working with U.S. based sponsors. Reading the wikipedia page on RICO, that seems to be the strategy used by most businesses staring down the barrel of that particular gun.

Who are "they"? This is not just a prosecution against a company, RICO also often pierces the corporate veil and goes after individuals, and they have been doing that in this case. There are a few different versions of RICO cases, and this appears to be one of the more serious ones.

RICO charges typically carry astoundingly harsh prison sentences. What usually happens is the lower and mid level guys are targeted first, and faced with the horrifying possible consequences (20, 30, life, etc) they quickly roll over and give up everything they know in exchange for a more lenient punishment and the Feds then work their way up to the top, assuming the top guys did anything wrong. They will only offer the minimum number of breaks and deals necessary to nail everyone who can be prosecuted.

Northjayhawk fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jun 2, 2015

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

"They" meaning FIFA itself as an organization apart from individual persons in its leadership. That post was inspired by this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drexel_Burnham_Lambert Reading a little more I see they actually plead guilty before an indictment, and I also realized I don't understand the legal status of FIFA itself, so I'm not sure if it's analogous to a private corporation.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Fifa claimed that Jérôme Valcke was not involved in that 10 million dollar payment, but oh woops, guess the letter ordering the Fifa to pay the money was addressed directly to him.

https://twitter.com/martynziegler/status/605660641374912512

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Sepp Blatter has just his resigned as FIFA President. He'll fulfill his duties until the congress can elect a new president.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

YES

DIE YOU OLD MOTHERFUCKER

DIE

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
I wonder what changed.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Xandu posted:

I wonder what changed.

Moved past denial into bargaining is my guess.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Xandu posted:

I wonder what changed.

Valcke.

He knows way too much, and now that hes clearly been implicated hes going to roll on Blatter so hard.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Yeah, that makes sense.

Also they're waiting four months for a new election. I wonder if he just wanted to spite Ali a little bit.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Maybe John Oliver will drink a bud light lime out of a golden nike now!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Honestly the thing I'm most surprised about is that the resignation didn't come after he managed to sneak himself into a non-extradition country of US or Switzerland .

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Xandu posted:

Yeah, that makes sense.

Also they're waiting four months for a new election. I wonder if he just wanted to spite Ali a little bit.

i would not be surprised if Platini is involved in this somehow. his maneuvering throughout this affair has been extremely obvious - i can easily see him running for leader at this extraordinary congress, if that's even allowed by FIFA's rules

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

serious gaylord posted:

Valcke.

He knows way too much, and now that hes clearly been implicated hes going to roll on Blatter so hard.

My money is on him trying to go underground in response to Valcke getting picked up.

I've got even odds on him being picked up at an airport terminal or at border trying to sneak into a non-extradition country.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Xandu posted:

Yeah, that makes sense.

I think it's giving them time to see how many of the candidates will be arrested.

A snap election would be like the end of Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

No Middle Eastern slave lords may win. I hope the U.S. Compels the 3rd world slum lords to piss off and realize we're king of poo poo mountain in soccer too.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Anyway article with a few more details.

"Sepp Blatter to resign as Fifa president after 17 years in role posted:

“I will organise extraordinary congress for a replacement for me as president,” said the 79-year-old Swiss. “I will not stand. I am now free from the constraints of an election. I will be in a position to focus on profound reforms. For many years we have called for reforms. But these are not sufficient.

“We need a limitation on mandates and terms of office. I have fought for these changes but my efforts have been counteracted.”

Domenico Scala, chairman of the Fifa audit and compliance committee, followed Blatter on to the stage to give details of the process for replacing the president, and future changes to the organisation.

“As the president has stated, these reforms will include fundamental changes to the way the organisation is structured,” said Scala.

Due to existing Fifa rules on the notice periods required for elections and for candidates to present themselves, the election may not take place until at least December.

“While the timing will ultimately be up to the executive committee, the timing of election is likely to be between December and March [2016].”

Scala went on to say that Fifa will consider wide-ranging changes to the structure of the executive committee, with further measures to ensure greater transparency.

“These steps will ensure that the organisation cannot be used by individuals seeking to enrich themselves at the expense of the game,” said Scala.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I was unable to pass term limits, which is why I was forced to run again, and again, and again

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Xandu posted:

I wonder what changed.

The soccer forum suggests this news conference was called in one hell of a hurry and they weren't prepared at all, so I'd lean towards panic move on realizing that someone was rolling on him.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I will now call the game soccer for a week to honor our American friends who have made this amazing turn of events possible.

Do you think Blatter intended to resign for a while and only didn't do it because it would have meant the election of prince Ali, and he is trying to maneuver a protege into the position of FIFA president?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Xandu posted:

I wonder what changed.

Hmmm

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
So the next move is Blatter fleeing to Russia to avoid extradition, right? If so, how will the DOJ respond?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Patter Song posted:

So the next move is Blatter fleeing to Russia to avoid extradition, right? If so, how will the DOJ respond?

He's been told not to leave Switzerland, so I would assume the Swiss police have an eye on him.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Patter Song posted:

I personally hope the RICO case extends to all Russian agents of FIFA.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Torrannor posted:

I will now call the game soccer for a week to honor our American friends who have made this amazing turn of events possible.

Do you think Blatter intended to resign for a while and only didn't do it because it would have meant the election of prince Ali, and he is trying to maneuver a protege into the position of FIFA president?

The rushed conference and the change in his demeanour make me think this wasn't planned at all. He's actually hosed.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Peel posted:

The rushed conference and the change in his demeanour make me think this wasn't planned at all. He's actually hosed.

If only he could have been arrested like half way through the speech.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Patter Song posted:

While not on lockdown, the Swiss authorities clearly have a solid eye on him and making a run for it would only result in him seeing the inside of a jail cell sooner rather than, as it appears, later.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Nike bribed FIFA $10 million to secure the Brazil uniform contract, oh poo poo son

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Captain_Maclaine posted:

While not on lockdown, the Swiss authorities clearly have a solid eye on him and making a run for it would only result in him seeing the inside of a jail cell sooner rather than, as it appears, later.

I don't trust the Swiss, frankly. They've protected evil Iranians and Nazis in their 'social democracy'.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Patter Song posted:

Reminder the Swiss government has told him not to leave the country.

Like, the loving Swiss are calling them out. The Swiss.

Nonsense posted:

I don't trust the Swiss, frankly. They've protected evil Iranians and Nazis in their 'social democracy'.

FIFA: Too Corrupt Even for the Swiss

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Nonsense posted:

While the idea of Switzerland being some sort of benign, trustworthy neutral is yes incredibly overplayed, I wouldn't worry about it in this case. Dude's about to get judicially curbstomped and no one's going to hold the door open for him to escape.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I'm just airing my brain farts. I'm sure Switzerland is nice and all, they've just disappointed citizens of the world in the past.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I hope whatever fucker made the decision for the women's world cup to have astroturf (I'm assuming with a nice kickback) is one of the people getting destroyed by this.

Postorder Trollet89
Jan 12, 2008
Sweden doesn't do religion. But if they did, it would probably be the best religion in the world.
Good riddance Blatter. So, who's gonna succeed him? Probably Prince Ali

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Postorder Trollet89 posted:

Good riddance Blatter. So, who's gonna succeed him? Probably Prince Ali

we'll see. my money is, again, on platini angling to run but we will see.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Radish posted:

I hope whatever fucker made the decision for the women's world cup to have astroturf (I'm assuming with a nice kickback) is one of the people getting destroyed by this.

Why did that happen anyway? Did someone have a friend in the astroturf business?

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Everyone in FIFA's executive positions should have already flown to Russia or some other non-extradition country by now, unless a few of them somehow were really not corrupt.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

StandardVC10 posted:

Why did that happen anyway? Did someone have a friend in the astroturf business?

Much the same reason city playgrounds/soccer pitchs started using recycled tires, and children developed coma inducing disorders.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

StandardVC10 posted:

I'm not sure why anyone bothers asking "Why did FIFA do [x]?" anymore, the answer is always "because of a briefcase full of money".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

StandardVC10 posted:

The fact that they were so committed that FIFA started threatening women involved in the suit indicates to me they got a hefty gift from someone for making it mandatory at the stadiums. Of course it's FIFA so you should just assume that anything they do is to get more money at the cost of (other) human misery.

• Locked thread